Following LEGO LEGO LEGO Page 292

• Dirt3 4 May 2020 11:27:31 1,015 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Oh and the Technic Leibherr is down to £300 on iWoot

https://www.iwantoneofthose.com/toys-lego/lego-technic-liebherr-r-9800-42100/12041888.html

I'm tempted
    That's a 4000+ piece set. Fuck that's a monster.

I've just finished part 1 of the Lego GT3 after sitting on it for 4 or 5 years.

This is a colossus!
    That's part of the appeal. I love the huge technic sets. That price though... Even at £300, its tough to justify
    Better deal than the big Millenium Falcon though.

(stealth justification).
  • Flying_Pig 6 May 2020 19:16:17 16,589 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Speaking of the Millennium Falcon - my brother-in-law loaned his one for my boys to build over Christmas. After a several month delay due to me having to source some missing pieces, they finally finished it this morning.

I'd seen on in a Lego store before, but only once you get your hands on the thing, do you realise how huge - and heavy - it is. The way the top sections fit together is extremely clever and have very few gaps, despite the shape of the ship itself. Some of the sections lift out, to give access to the detailed compartments inside, but that's only on 2 sections, as the bulk of the internals are given over to ensure this beast of a set is structurally robust.

It's incredibly impressive and detailed, and it makes for a great display model, but the size of the thing also works against it - who has a large enough - spare- flat surface to display it?

At some point we'll have to disassemble it and send it back, but for now it's on the living room floor being played with...
  • THFourteen 6 May 2020 19:19:45 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Played.....with....??? NRRRRGH
  • Derblington 6 May 2020 19:39:49 33,138 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iíve just got a new apartment. You better believe thereís going to be a large enough flat surface for it to be displayed!
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 09:14:20 17,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Another building to be added to my City layout today. There is something quite soothing about building a Lego kit :-)
  • THFourteen 8 May 2020 09:33:49 53,670 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Another building to be added to my City layout today. There is something quite soothing about building a Lego kit :-)
    Yeah. Going through my backlog, currently have my UCS tie out on the kitchen counter, build a few pieces every few minutes keeping me sane.
  • barchetta 8 May 2020 09:40:05 2,406 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've always wondered how people keep these dust free. Some models look particularly fragile. Vacuums sound too risky. Just a very soft brush or maybe a mini keyboard vac?
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 10:15:10 17,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Soft brushes do the trick, and gentle air blowers work too. Not tried the mini vacs, but they'd probably work.
  • ZuluHero 8 May 2020 10:20:54 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I keep mine in a glass cabinet. I'm mostly a free builder though so I have an eclectic mix of proper sets mixed in to my own abominations

I'm always eyeing up parts in the cabinet though, and I do find the contents change depending on what this months fancy is. So there isn't a lot of time for dust to settle :)

Atm it's trains.
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 10:22:31 17,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've recently started buying random bags off e-bay to build up my spare parts collection. You occasionally get some interesting parts from old kits.
  • ZuluHero 8 May 2020 10:26:49 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You should check bricklink for prices, you might have a few gems. Like those red radar dishes we talked about earlier.
  • freddymercurystwin 8 May 2020 11:02:00 2,116 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Facebook marketplace can be a good source, though there are probably 50 rip offs/crap sellers for every decent find. Occasionally you they do come up, people even giving away a couple of KGs for free if you happen to see the ad early or older people getting rid of ancient Lego. And the old cleaning with hydrogen peroxide hack can bring yellowed bricks back to life.
  • Derblington 8 May 2020 11:45:45 33,138 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    I've always wondered how people keep these dust free. Some models look particularly fragile. Vacuums sound too risky. Just a very soft brush or maybe a mini keyboard vac?
    Makeup brushes.
  • TechnoHippy 8 May 2020 14:12:29 17,301 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    Facebook marketplace can be a good source, though there are probably 50 rip offs/crap sellers for every decent find. Occasionally you they do come up, people even giving away a couple of KGs for free if you happen to see the ad early or older people getting rid of ancient Lego. And the old cleaning with hydrogen peroxide hack can bring yellowed bricks back to life.
    Some of the Chinese knock off stuff isn't too bad - I got a McDonald's store and a knock-off Harry Potter train (I only want it as a background piece) and they were both decent builds.
  • Carlo 9 May 2020 17:02:34 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've finished the Porsche GT3 (2 pieces missing so I've asked for them), and discovered the only 1:8 'brand' models are it, and the Bugatti Chiron, so I've bought that.

£300 from Smyths but I can't have one and not the other can I!?

I'll build the two, then get some kind of presentation perspex box made to put them into. Maybe glass, not sure yet.

They're pretty special. The GT3 was an amazing build.
  • Derblington 9 May 2020 17:09:02 33,138 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís a line thatís only ďrecentlyĒ started. The nature of the scale and licensing means you get one every couple of years. Lambo coming this year.

Edited by Derblington at 17:10:35 09-05-2020
  • Zyrr 9 May 2020 17:23:57 448 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Carlo if you fancy jazzing them up a bit have a look at the Lightailing lighting kits for both cars. They're NOT cheap and routing the wires as per the instructions can be pretty fiddly, but the end result really elevates them into showpieces.
  • Dougs 9 May 2020 17:47:58 94,063 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    barchetta wrote:
    Makeup brushes.
    Exactly what I use on my son's. He's run out of shelf space though, and has another 4 or 5 sets coming tomorrow for his birthday. I am slightly at a loss to know what to do - more shelf space isn't happening until we redecorate his room (part of wider works on the house, which will give him an extra wall). It's a ballache though
  • Carlo 9 May 2020 18:04:58 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Itís a line thatís only ďrecentlyĒ started. The nature of the scale and licensing means you get one every couple of years. Lambo coming this year.
    Which one?!
  • Carlo 9 May 2020 18:17:22 21,272 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Zyrr I've seem the kits, but I'm a bit of a purist tbh
  • Derblington 9 May 2020 18:35:27 33,138 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Carlo Itís unconfirmed atm but from the teaser image of the wheel/tyre car enthusiasts are pretty sure itís the Sian.
  • ZuluHero 9 May 2020 19:12:18 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bought the small champions F8 Ferrari on a shopping trip, as I saw it on sale. Its actually a really nice model, with loads of pieces and a really solid and nice shape at the end (for mini dig scale)

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/ferrari-f8-tributo-76895
  • up_the_ante 9 May 2020 19:21:08 1,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Bought the small champions F8 Ferrari on a shopping trip, as I saw it on sale. Its actually a really nice model, with loads of pieces and a really solid and nice shape at the end (for mini dig scale)

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/ferrari-f8-tributo-76895
    Yeah I've been collecting these. The new wave are quite a bit bigger (2 seats instead of 1) and only about 4 quid more. They look a lot more substantial too. I refuse to put the stickers on though. I'm a purist in that sense. They have really started relying on stickers to create a lot of the structural lines, not just badges and sponsors etc. Shame.
  • ZuluHero 9 May 2020 19:23:52 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Same!

Normally I hate stickers, though I did decide on adding the headlights as they do give it form. Really impressed overall.
  • barchetta 10 May 2020 18:55:58 2,406 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Oh those Sperd Champions look quite nice. My youngest is a big GTR fan. That looks smart and the Audi Quattro would make a nice accompaniment.
  • Dirt3 12 May 2020 15:20:11 1,015 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Damn.

Now someone has mentioned the Lamborghini I want that now as well.
  • ZuluHero 12 May 2020 17:43:45 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't really know about the lambo - there are a lot of stickers on it - but I do like the Panasonic/Jaguar Formula-E and pace car set:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/formula-e-panasonic-jaguar-racing-gen2-car-jaguar-i-pace-etrophy-76898
  • Dirt3 12 May 2020 18:43:23 1,015 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I don't really know about the lambo - there are a lot of stickers on it - but I do like the Panasonic/Jaguar Formula-E and pace car set:

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/formula-e-panasonic-jaguar-racing-gen2-car-jaguar-i-pace-etrophy-76898
    You mean the new technic one that is being teased atm or another lambo?
  • ZuluHero 12 May 2020 19:02:15 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry, I thought we were talking about the Speed Champions line.
  • ZuluHero 12 May 2020 19:03:39 8,731 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This lambo: https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/lamborghini-urus-st-x-lamborghini-huracan-super-trofeo-evo-76899

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.