Following LEGO LEGO LEGO Page 295

• Tonka 20 May 2020 07:44:16 31,094 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My monkey kid set will be delivered today!
  • Dougs 22 May 2020 06:45:41 95,420 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The boy raced through Boba Fett, didn't need any help at all. He's now after the others,Storm Trooper sold out and Imperial tie pilot is available on back order.

http://imgur.com/a/hPZ7MIm
  • barchetta 22 May 2020 09:43:45 2,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Hmm. Not sure about these but might be ok as simple wall decos in kids rooms:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-brick-sketches-theme-to-launch-with-star-wars-and-batman/
  • ZuluHero 22 May 2020 09:45:11 9,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quite small though...
  • Dougs 22 May 2020 09:53:01 95,420 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Same could be said of the Boba Fett head (unless that's what you meant!)
  • Nexus_6 22 May 2020 09:56:08 5,252 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TBH these are the sorts of things that should be encouraged with random bricks, kind of like Lego originally was.
    I'm not the guy that complains about Lego 'having too many shapes nowadays' but its a bit ridiculous.
  • ZuluHero 22 May 2020 10:04:51 9,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah a little pick-a-brick station in a store would be perfect for something like that.

I think the heads have a bit more presence - they're 3D and they'd look good on a shelf - but those pictures are only 15 studs high, which is pretty small for a wall hanging.

Maybe a montage to make a bigger piece might work as a display though.
  • Nexus_6 22 May 2020 11:19:37 5,252 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The helmets look fine as well but a little small for me.
    I love the lego Star Wars and all the rest, I just feel a bit disappointed that such a basic looking set as the sketches are being developed.
    While were on it, another thing that grinds my gears is when people post (on Reddit for example) their MOCs of small creations and they look good only to discover its been done on the computer. I mean ffs what's the point - there's about 50 pieces in this model why not just make the thing!
  • Dougs 22 May 2020 11:32:33 95,420 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Ha, I was looking for some free MOCs for my son, esp of cars, which he likes building. Loads of computer ones. Maddening.

The helmet is smaller than I thought, but looks good and more importantly he enjoyed building it. Despite the 18+, he had no probs at all - unbeknown to me, the rating isn't just difficulty...
  • ZuluHero 22 May 2020 11:38:15 9,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wait, what? People don't actually build their MoCs??
  • THFourteen 22 May 2020 11:38:37 53,839 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The boy raced through Boba Fett, didn't need any help at all. He's now after the others,Storm Trooper sold out and Imperial tie pilot is available on back order.

http://imgur.com/a/hPZ7MIm
    Dang sold out. I really wanted all of those!
  • Derblington 22 May 2020 12:22:50 33,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    TBH these are the sorts of things that should be encouraged with random bricks, kind of like Lego originally was.
    I'm not the guy that complains about Lego 'having too many shapes nowadays' but its a bit ridiculous.
    So build them that way, if you have the pieces. Instructions are available online. It;s the same with any sets really.

For someone like myself, that builds sets and doesnít have a free brick building library of pieces, that would be useless.
  • up_the_ante 22 May 2020 16:12:11 1,400 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There is a good debate to be had about the number of Lego parts being made now. I'm sure they have it at Lego HQ all the time. The last Lego set I bought had 3 parts I'd never seen before (and possibly never will again). Between that and stickers when does Lego lose the essence of being Lego.
  • Nexus_6 22 May 2020 16:47:49 5,252 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Derblington What I am really trying to say is this new set of sketches looks too basic to bother being a set. If you cant figure it out from a reference picture and some messing around with simple bits and techniques, then Lego really does seem to have strayed from the fantastic original concept.
    Much like the people that put together 'sets' in the computer and render them out instead of actually making them.

I am contrasting that with my own position that the people who complain about too many new shapes are generally miserable. However with the sketches in mind, and others comments above mine, I am starting to slide towards the idea that is seems to be more a drive of marketing and license buy-in now than genuine child creativity.

Which is a shame.
  • Derblington 22 May 2020 20:59:20 33,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Itís not a shame, itís a wider appeal to more people of more interests and spend capacity.
    You still have everything the way you want to enjoy it, why is it a negative that others can approach it differently? Some like to free build, some like to figure out complexities, some just like to follow instructions and have something nice at the end.

Stud.io is a LEGO program for building models, why does it matter to you that people use it (and similar software) to build models? Some parts donít exist in the needed colours, some people canít afford to own all the pieces that would be needed to build said models. People have used it to create applications for Ideas sets, some people just enjoy building digitally.

Itís been about marketing and licensing for a very long time. Itís also still a construction toy for all ages that can be manipulated and interacted with in multiple ways.
  • boo 22 May 2020 21:03:36 13,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just finished building the Fast & Furious Technic Dodge Charger. I know Carlo loved it, but to my mind it's the worst set I've built since I came out of my Dark Age at the end of 2012.

Would have been so much better done as a more 'realistic' Creator Expert set in the way the fantastic Ford Mustang was.

The Technic functions are limited - suspension is a solid real axle and independent wishbone suspension at the front, hand of god steering and the engine pistons etc move, driven by the rear wheels. And other than the slightly peculiar 'wheelie' stand, that's it.

And it's ugly. Really ugly. The source material is an awesome looking car, but Technic doesn't allow it to shine. But more than that, the construction had some very dodgy moments, and has some really fragile pieces. At one point you attach the roof, and then shortly afterwards, you have to put a sub-assembly under the roof. There was a fair bit of swearing as I went along. And if the end pieces of the rear bumper have fallen off once, they've fallen off a hundred times.

Don't get me wrong - what's there, works, and I could never design something that that in a month of Sundays. And as has been mentioned elsewhere, some people really like it, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

But if I knew then, what I know now, this would have been the first Technic set that I haven't bought in eight years.
  • Carlo 22 May 2020 22:01:48 21,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm staggered boo.

I find myself constantly looking and picking it up, far more than my GT3. It's stunning.

The sub-assembly I recall, and did wonder about the logic myself of building it after, but to call it ugly, I just can'y agree with you at all. It's also been solid for me, nothing's dropped off at all.

Respectfully boo, the rear axle is solid because the real one is (on the '70 it is based on).

You also forgot the working doors, bonnet, and boot right? OK, they're not 'Technic functions', fair enough.

I would have liked to have seen more of the coca-cola bottle styling too, and the pretty flat sides could have been improved with a bit of curve, but calling it ugly... Yo go too far! :D

Edited by Carlo at 22:16:29 22-05-2020
  • Flying_Pig 22 May 2020 22:11:40 16,691 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    So this half term I've decided to sort my boys' Lego so they can actually rebuild their multitude of sets. We've got boxes of mixed pieces and another couple of boxes of partially destroyed sets across City, Ninjago, Avengers, Star Wars, MineCraft and Harry Potter.

It's an epic task and I'm worried that I've bitten off more than I can chew, but if I don't do it these sets will never be re-built...
  • Carlo 22 May 2020 22:15:12 21,377 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, that's a BIG job mate.
  • barchetta 22 May 2020 22:30:58 2,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Holy shit, I didn't enjoy locating all the parts from a single landspeeder hidden within boxes of stuff.

Good luck and enjoy the week!
  • kentmonkey 22 May 2020 22:33:48 23,738 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Flying_Pig let us know at precisely what point you started to lose your shit at your kids for ever ruining it all. And then how many times you say 'if you break this up again I won't help'.

I'm going for 76 mins for the first and approx 21 times for the second.

You will give up and walk away, just so you know.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:34:32 22-05-2020
  • boo 22 May 2020 22:57:06 13,613 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Fair play, Carlo - if you like it, then that's great. It just wasn't for me.
    I've probably been spoilt by some superb Technic sets recently and tis just felt like a bit of a miss.
  • Derblington 23 May 2020 00:39:00 33,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    As I mentioned before, the reviews Iíve seen (from LEGO-centric sites) have been pretty negative too. It seems to a be a marmite build for sure, and I canít help but think itís a case of experience and expectation from those more versed in the LEGO hobby being much more critical, versus the thrill and novelty of those that dabble (speaking of the ďprofessionalĒ reviews Iíve seen, at least).

Itís not one for me. I donít have much love for the car itself, and the all-black aesthetic isnít particularly appealing in Technic.

Currently I want the Ď89 Batmobile, the Landrover and the UCS Star Destroyer. Problem is space. Iíve recently moved and I can actually put some stuff on display (the UCS Falcon will be the first going out) but I still have lots of sets unbuilt, and many more rebagged and stored away (or needing to be). Iím starting to think that itís just going to waste.

Iíve got a couple of other things that I want to have out too, that are a bit more striking and much more tactile (replica Captain America shield, and Thorís hammer replica arriving on Monday - both metal and heavy). Maybe itís time to head back into the dark, and just venture out for the things that I really canít let go by.

I partially blame the Falcon re-release. That was my grail piece, after falling in love with the original, but at the prices it commanded was never going to happen. I think, to an extent, everything else has always been partly because I never got that, and never could, and not wanting to miss out on anything else just in case.
    But now I do have it, so the hobby is somewhat complete for me. I still enjoy the art of the models and I find building is a wonderful stress relief, but I guess Iím a bit more content with owning the thing I spent a decade dreaming of.

Also, Star Wars was always my major ďinĒ to the LEGO world, and with it going to shit a bit recently itís become something a bit less ďcoolĒ to have for me.
  • freddymercurystwin 23 May 2020 01:07:34 2,242 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    On the subject of the Dodge, whilst I do like the stock model and I've now smuggled a set into the loft to build at some point it's always irked me slightly that its stance seems a little off, I came across this thread tonight which, amongst other things that are well beyond me and don't bug me links to a nice little guide to changing the stance, I really like the lowered version and expect I'll do it when I get round to building it https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj-glfuK1yM

Edited by freddymercurystwin at 01:09:44 23-05-2020
  • Saul_Iscariot 23 May 2020 02:35:08 3,790 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @THFourteen Zavvi have the Fett and Stormtrooper busts.

https://www.zavvi.com/elysium.search?search=Star+wars+lego
  • Dougs 23 May 2020 06:57:31 95,420 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    So this half term I've decided to sort my boys' Lego so they can actually rebuild their multitude of sets. We've got boxes of mixed pieces and another couple of boxes of partially destroyed sets across City, Ninjago, Avengers, Star Wars, MineCraft and Harry Potter.

It's an epic task and I'm worried that I've bitten off more than I can chew, but if I don't do it these sets will never be re-built...
    I tried that once. I managed one small set before giving in. Luckily my son only likes displaying his stuff so there are limited sets mixed up with the free build stuff. Mostly extra bits from 3 in 1 Creator sets and a couple of mini's.
  • Tonka 23 May 2020 07:01:27 31,094 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Holy shit, this monkey kid battle merch is taking it's sweet time to build. Loving it.

The little street food minibuild was great and looks surprisingly nice next to my Parisian restaurant. Would love to see a set of the buildings like that, a little street scene.

You do get a convenience store (or is it a coffee place) with one of the other days, but the main build in that doesn't interest me at all.

Now, the main battle mech in my set looks good so far. A little too iron man tbh. That will disappear (thankfully) once the head and vinyl pieces are attached.

It's massive though. Sadly that comes at a price for posability. The knees don't flex at all so it's variations of slight contrapostos. The arms look like they'll have more flex though.

I'm having great fun building. Haven't built anything for years and years. Maybe time to break the seal on my 70816...
  • Dougs 23 May 2020 07:04:07 95,420 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @THFourteen Zavvi have the Fett and Stormtrooper busts.

https://www.zavvi.com/elysium.search?search=Star+wars+lego
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up. Have grabbed the stormtrooper one for him, he has a bit of cash left over from his birthday and Christmas which should cover it. Made an executive decision on his behalf!
  • Tonka 23 May 2020 07:06:45 31,094 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've started laying every step out like Adam Savage (although much less OCD)

https://imgur.com/a/vcjdUHW
  • ZuluHero 23 May 2020 08:46:50 9,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm currently building the dodge charger over a few nights ( a bag a night) and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not usually a technic fan, I generally find it ugly and there is no really any easy way to free build with it, which in my mind defeats the point of lego.

But as I see the charger come together, the central drive colomn and the engine pistons are fascinating. And it's a lot more complicated to build, which is a breath of fresh air coming from lego. I can assemble regular lego with my eyes closed. In fact with a normal set I don't even do things bag by bag, I pour it all in to a heap, no matter the size of the kit and set to work. I wouldn't dream of doing that!

I'm really looking forward to see the chassis go on and completing it. I have 2 numbered bags left, so will probably be finished on Sunday.

Edited by ZuluHero at 08:47:33 23-05-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.