Following LEGO LEGO LEGO Page 300

• up_the_ante 1 Jul 2020 15:52:33 1,364 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @TheSaint I guess if you like buying your art from a haberdashery or street market but want to pay £120 instead of £7.99
  • TheSaint 1 Jul 2020 15:59:04 19,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You'd need a very specific decor for them to work (as in not living with a wife or girlfriend). But I thought the ability to make multiple pictures from the dots or even join them together into a bigger picture was pretty clever.
  • IMadeThis 1 Jul 2020 16:02:34 1,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I love the idea of being able to build three different images, and the fact that you can buy three and combine to make one big one, however... £££!!!

It's a no from me.
  • Nexus_6 1 Jul 2020 17:28:56 5,064 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    You'd need a very specific decor for them to work (as in not living with a wife or girlfriend). But I thought the ability to make multiple pictures from the dots or even join them together into a bigger picture was pretty clever.
    But....its just simple tile pieces arranged in to a picture. It's not particularly inventive or involved. Is it?
    You could take a screen grab from those images on the last page and re-do it out your bits box.
    I see this as a real low point for the creativity side of Lego tbh.
  • ZuluHero 1 Jul 2020 18:24:22 8,926 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Ordered my Crocodile locomotive :-)
    I didn't know they were up, thanks!
  • ZuluHero 1 Jul 2020 18:35:13 8,926 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ordered from John Lewis, official Lego store seemed to already be on back order.

Edited by ZuluHero at 19:41:15 01-07-2020
  • d_h1234 1 Jul 2020 19:01:26 282 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    But....its just simple tile pieces arranged in to a picture. It's not particularly inventive or involved. Is it?
    You could take a screen grab from those images on the last page and re-do it out your bits box.
    Definitely, seems like a very blatant "What can we do for zero effort to squeeze more profit out of what we already have?" cash-grab.

I'm surprised this wasn't a thing already to be honest, I mean I'm sure it is unofficially, but it seems like something that shouldn't even be an official set. They already sell the pieces, people can make their own art, the only real reason for LEGO to sell these as official kits is to mark them up for a huge profit. :(
  • Flying_Pig 1 Jul 2020 23:58:03 16,622 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Technic Leibherr finished!

I've just got to find 12 AA batteries and then learn how to drive the thing!

It's actually surprisingly detailed on the top of the chassis and is a really good, interesting build. Obviously is a beast size-wise and I think it looks far better IRL - the pictures just don't do it justice.
  • the_milkybar_kid 2 Jul 2020 00:23:25 8,274 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like that them art sets look like 16bit sprites, that's about it.
  • Nexus_6 2 Jul 2020 00:45:25 5,064 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Flying_Pig excellent work! What are you going to program it to do?

Letís hear your thoughts after a few days with it too.

I always recommend piggypower for batteries - I get a box of 100 Duracell pro at a time. Itís about 40 quid with postage but works out great.
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 08:45:26 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Or, get some rechargable batteries from IKEA. They source from Panasonic so you get world class batteries for a quarter of the price.

Kinder to mother nature as well.
  • Nexus_6 2 Jul 2020 09:07:47 5,064 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah
  • Red_Bool 2 Jul 2020 10:48:45 1,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We invested in a shitload of rechargeable batteries as well. LEGO power functions take 6 AA per box and then there's also the xbox controllers and Wiimotes and various other toys.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jul 2020 11:23:27 2,177 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Red_Bool I can't speak for the Lego power functions but for controllers its a no brainer to fit the rechargeable battery packs, they don't have to be plugged in to charge and you make your money back in no time. I've not replaced a controller battery in years.

/gets off high horse
  • Red_Bool 2 Jul 2020 12:36:25 1,986 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @freddymercurystwin - Well, I did say we bought a shitload of rechargeables ;) So we actually have a box full of them fully charged and whenever we change batteries we charge the old ones. Changing batteries on controllers is then pretty quick. Plus you can use them for other things as well (like LEGO power functions ;)).

We had rechargeable packs for our old 360 controllers, but the charger died (typical).
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2020 12:55:15 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bah - my order is now pushed to August :-(
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jul 2020 13:05:23 2,177 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Red_Bool Gah sorry, why didn't I see the word rechargeable in your post?

/books eye exam
  • Tonka 2 Jul 2020 13:05:42 30,894 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    IKEA LADDA = top of the line at quarter the price.
    https://youtu.be/Jeo_hv-8bHI

Plus, practical charger that keeps them ready.
    https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/tjugo-battery-charger-with-storage-grey-green-00435173/

For less than Nexus pays for one shipment of non rechargeable batteries.
  • Nexus_6 2 Jul 2020 13:17:08 5,064 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nah
  • ukaskew37 2 Jul 2020 13:24:48 218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    d_h1234 wrote:
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Definitely, seems like a very blatant "What can we do for zero effort to squeeze more profit out of what we already have?" cash-grab.

I'm surprised this wasn't a thing already to be honest, I mean I'm sure it is unofficially, but it seems like something that shouldn't even be an official set. They already sell the pieces, people can make their own art, the only real reason for LEGO to sell these as official kits is to mark them up for a huge profit. :(
    You could level that accusation at every single Lego set, surely? In fact it's kinda the whole point.

Whilst these look simpler than a typical set, I doubt the average person has the creativity or indeed the pieces to construct something like this, we're talking around three thousand pieces for each one.

The new Brick Sketches sets are probably closer to what you're referring to as they are naturally a lot simpler in execution (150 pieces or thereabouts).
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jul 2020 13:42:13 2,177 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What would be much better, would be if they did this for any image you sent to them, assuming it fitted within certain criteria, ie right proportion, good enough image you sent, not offensive etc etc. So you could send in a pic of your 5 year old kid or whatever and they churn out a kit. The software to do this is widely available from third parties anyway, I guess the whole refund for items bought over distance legalities would be interesting if you didn't like the finished item but plenty of manufacturers sell bespoke made to measure items which are non refundable.

That way you could have what image you liked rather one of a few generic famous people.

It's not too distant from the store face printing kits they do anyway - Lego Mosaic it's called, me and missus were always quite keen to capture the kids on those but there's no stores that do it near us and the prospect of trying to get your kids to take a suitable pic in the store seems unlikely.
  • ZuluHero 2 Jul 2020 19:22:14 8,926 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Your train?
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2020 19:44:39 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Your train?
    Yep - the Crocodile.
  • TechnoHippy 2 Jul 2020 19:46:17 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    freddymercurystwin wrote:
    What would be much better, would be if they did this for any image you sent to them, assuming it fitted within certain criteria, ie right proportion, good enough image you sent, not offensive etc etc. So you could send in a pic of your 5 year old kid or whatever and they churn out a kit. The software to do this is widely available from third parties anyway, I guess the whole refund for items bought over distance legalities would be interesting if you didn't like the finished item but plenty of manufacturers sell bespoke made to measure items which are non refundable.

That way you could have what image you liked rather one of a few generic famous people.

It's not too distant from the store face printing kits they do anyway - Lego Mosaic it's called, me and missus were always quite keen to capture the kids on those but there's no stores that do it near us and the prospect of trying to get your kids to take a suitable pic in the store seems unlikely.
    http://me.brickapic.com/
  • THFourteen 2 Jul 2020 20:16:57 53,824 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just ordered the Ninjago Skull Dungeon for my kids 6th birthday. £90 seems a bit steep for a 6 year old tbh but heíll love it.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/skull-sorcerer-s-dungeons-71722

Edited by THFourteen at 20:17:55 02-07-2020
  • Khanivor 2 Jul 2020 20:55:31 44,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I give Lego credit for coming up with a way of monetizing the jars of spares from sets we all have.
  • freddymercurystwin 2 Jul 2020 22:49:00 2,177 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TechnoHippy yes but it's not really the same as getting a proper Lego set through the door is it. You pay a couple of bucks for some instructions and brick list and fanny around ordering them.
  • Fake_Blood 4 Jul 2020 11:43:01 10,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Found the Bugatti in a local store for £270, going to pick it up later today. Nobody here looking to get rid of the porsche by any chance?
  • Derblington 4 Jul 2020 12:21:25 33,414 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Iím not convinced by the Bugatti for some reason. I have the Porsche and want the Lambo but just donít feel the need for Bugatti, as nice as they look together (I wish the Porsche was the same scale for continuity).
  • Fake_Blood 4 Jul 2020 12:29:41 10,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thereís this photo of the 3 supercars together in the brothers brick review of the lambo that kind of blew my mind. The orange blue green go great together.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/media.brothers-brick.com/2020/06/LEGO-Technic-18-42115-Lamborghini-Sian-FKP-37-Review-72.jpg

Edited by Fake_Blood at 12:31:56 04-07-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.