Internet Speed Envy Page 18

Next Last
  • nickthegun 31 Mar 2021 15:56:07 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So this has been fun. We were on sky fibre 40mb, which wasnt great but it did but when I was recontracting, they said g.speed is now available on my cabinet which would bump me up to 160 down, 30 up. Appointment booked for today, the geezer phones me at 12pm and says hes just in the cabinet and when hes done, he will put the new gspeed master socket in, 20 mins at the cab, 10 mins for the socket.

He comes in and says that despite our current BB being in the master socket and the master faceplate being on it, its not the master. Do we have any more sockets?

Eventually we found eight. Eight fucking sockets! 3x in the office, one in the hall, one in the kitchen and one in three of the four bedrooms. Because we dont have a landline (like normal people) and just had the BB on what I thought was the master socket, ive never actually noticed how many and where the sockets are before.

So ive spent all afternoon moving furniture and taking off radiator covers to look for phone sockets.

Anyway, after we found those eight, he said there must be another one as the gspeed wont connect. The easiest thing to do is rip the cabling out and put in a new socket. So now we have at least 10 sockets in a 4 bed house.

Then comes to trying the thing out. 38mb down, exactly the same as before. Its synching at 160mb but its only putting 38mb through. The engineer thinks the router is fucked and orders a new one.

So 3.5hrs and no work later, ive got the same broadband speed and a new hole in my wall.
  • dfunked09 31 Mar 2021 16:01:46 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    g.fast you mean? Thought they'd stopped rolling that out ages ago?!

I bet the profile is just stuck on the old connection profile, should be easily sorted by support hopefully. I had similar issues in the past when my line temporarily synced at a lower speed and my profile got stuck there even though my sync speed had gone back up.
  • nickthegun 31 Mar 2021 16:03:10 86,367 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thats the one. I dunno, maybe its been available for a while and they just didnt tell me. Im not very pro-active.

It does seem like it may be a profile thing because its *exactly* the same as my old speed.
  • addybV3 31 Mar 2021 18:21:38 225 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I had fibre 900 activated last week. Slight jump from 60 in my last property. Tis awesome.
  • Dougs 31 Mar 2021 18:58:33 99,066 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Full fibre finally installed, 300 symmetrical. Although I didn't realise their router only had one ethernet port, which meant I can't connect both the wifi mesh and the ethernet switch that hard-wires in my kit under the telly. They are sending me another switch. Now to bin off Sky and the landline.
    They dropped the switch off earlier. Couldn't get a fixed line connection through both switches (connected router>switch with mesh hub and onward to other switch) assume an IP address conflict). Then notice that my mesh hub has an ethernet port out that I hadn't spotted before as it wasn't used by my sky router, so only need one switch after all! Still, free gigabit switch. Felt like a bit of a test though.

Edited by Dougs at 19:22:37 31-03-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 31 Mar 2021 19:08:07 17,465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently our dl speed is 20 this evening

It mustíve been faster earlier because after saying it would take 14 hours to download Disco Elysium (12gb) last night it did the whole thing in 2 or 3 this morning.

On EE at the moment but it was, if anything, worse when we had Sky.

Edited by simpleexplodingmaybe at 19:08:22 31-03-2021
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.