Metroid Impressions

First Previous
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 12 Nov 2002 21:24:10 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I played it, HAHAHHA suckers! Anyway, my impressions.

First of all, destroy any thought that this game has better graphics than Halo. It doesn't. Not even close. Wasn't really ever sure where people got that idea... Metroid has nice design-- but it's blurry, jaggy, and blurry. And it's textures are blurry. But on the flip side, Metroid has good level design, great sound, and from what i've played of the gameplay, that's good too. Controls are kind of clumsy-- not as intuitive as Halo.

I'd buy a GameCube for this game if I didn't already own one. This will hopefully give GameCube a much-needed shot in the arm... though it should definitely start by having some better TV commercials for the game. ugh. It's like a cheap flash presentation.
  • ST.. 12 Nov 2002 21:49:59 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    "blurry, jaggy, and blurry", doesnt sound too gorgeous then...
  • lardy 12 Nov 2002 22:05:00 52 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    ST.. wrote:
    "blurry, jaggy, and blurry", doesnt sound too gorgeous then...
    And goes against pretty much every review I've read!
  • Azule 13 Nov 2002 02:20:55 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    So he played a demo on a crappy monitor. The game isn't even out yet, he needs to play it on his own TV to compare it to Halo.

How could something be both blurry and jaggy?

Edited by Azule at 02:21:42 13-11-2002
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Nov 2002 07:14:50 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Pssh... monitor schmonitor. Halo was right next to it on the exact same T.V. Halo blows Metroids graphics away, and anyone who thinks otherwise is either A) Lying, or B)hasn't played both games.

And just look at the screens and movies on the internet-- right now. The textures are not detailed and are quite blurry. And when I say blurry, I mean smeared... lack of detail. I'm not talking about some sort of haze that surrounds the texture itself. Azule, if you don't think it's possible for textures to be both blurry and jaggy, then pop in any PS2 game and you'll find a blurry, jaggy game.

But like I said, I was extremely disappointed in the graphics. Very, super-dooperlee, extremely. If there is bump-mapping in that game, I can't see it.

In the graphics department, Halo eats Metroid Prime for breakfast.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Nov 2002 08:11:09 40,158 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    then pop in any PS2 game and you'll find a blurry, jaggy game

Well, you're either

A) lying
    or
    B) haven't played the many PS2 games which have neither blurry, jaggy nor blurry and jaggy graphics
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Nov 2002 08:38:37 48,222 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    What is it with bump mapping that gets geek juices flowing (not particularly aimed at you, Bill - bear with me)? It's a moderately pretty effect on a PC screen, but can you even see it from across the room on a TV?
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Nov 2002 08:42:07 40,158 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I am outing myself as a complete n00b now (or maybe not), but how can people always claim "this game has/has no bump-mapping", when all they see is a screenshot? I thought bumpmapping makes surfaces look bumpy with the use of light/shadow, but I'd have to see a game in motion to see whether it's really bump-mapping (to see whether the lighting has any influence on the "bumps") or just a good texture (with "flat" bumps, where the shadow is just painted, not rendered in realtime), wouldn't I?

Edited by UncleLou at 08:44:54 13-11-2002
  • ben-stone 13 Nov 2002 08:42:26 27 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Halo blows Metroids graphics away, and anyone who thinks otherwise is either A) Lying, or B)hasn't played both games.

The textures are not detailed and are quite blurry. And when I say blurry, I mean smeared... lack of detail.

If there is bump-mapping in that game, I can't see it.

In the graphics department, Halo eats Metroid Prime for breakfast.

Or, perhaps anyone who thinks otherwise either A)has a differing yet equally valid opinion (and isn't quite so dogmatic about it), or B)doesn't really care about textures and bump mapping and shit like that in favor of how well it plays and/or how much fun it is.

Since you have improbably obtained a copy ahead of next week's release, and you've already told us it looks like shit, can you tell us if it's any fun or not? That's what I'm on about.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Nov 2002 21:04:15 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Unclelou and Blerk, play Halo and start having fun with the flashlight. You'll see what bumpmapping does to the games graphics. Master Chief uses less polys in Halo2 than in the first one, but he looks about 10 times better. That's because of better use of bumpmapping. I love bumpmapping hardcore-style because every Xbox game that has them also has incredible graphics.

And Ben, I had a lot of fun with the game. I played it at Wal-Mart for about 30 minutes while I was waiting for Epsidoe 2 DVD. It's not a typical shooter-- you just run around shooting things every once in a while. A lot of exploration. I had a lot of fun with the game-- it is going to get good reviews. But the graphics will likely end up as the weakest part of the game in those reviews as well. There are better looking GameCube games. It doesn't look as good as Halo, but neither do any games on PS2 or GC. I don't think any game on those consoles can look as good as Halo--ever. I've got PS2 and GC and have a good grasp of what they're capable of and think each of those consoles need to do something about their textures before they want to compete. My gripe with Metroid isn't that it doesn't compete with Halo's, its that it doesn't use GameCubes own power well.
  • UncleLou Moderator 13 Nov 2002 21:12:33 40,158 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Bill, I know what bump-mapping is, I was just wondering whether it is possible to tell bump-mapping from just a good texture when all you see is a screenshot.

edit: total mess

Edited by UncleLou at 21:16:13 13-11-2002
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 13 Nov 2002 21:35:36 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh, ok I see. Well when I played Metroid I didn't see any bumpmapping. I don't think you can really tell if it's in a screenshot unless they are super-hi res.
  • Azule 13 Nov 2002 22:52:36 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    IGN reviewed the game, giving it a 9.8, they mentioned that they did not see any bump-mapping. Though part of its high marks was for using many of the GC's effects effectively, something like that ;).

It's an insider article that I saw here.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 14 Nov 2002 04:07:51 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It was the final retail version. Had to start a game from the very beginning.

The only thing that will keep Metroid from being a huge hit is Nintendo. They need to market this game more and better than they are now.
  • Azule 14 Nov 2002 05:05:42 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    vermin wrote:
    Some staff guy at the nintendophiles site is the one posting the insider review? what a moron. not that I like IGN and their stupid pay-service. but posting stuff they have produced themselves that still only are available to paying members of ign. that's just an immoral thing to do. shame on nintendophiles. what a stupid site.
    That made me laugh. :D (the n-philes part)

Like anyone needs IGN's reviews on any of Nintendo's big titles. I don't care what they had to say about Mario, I don't care if they glow about Metroid. I won't care if they rag on Zelda for it's cel shading. So I don't see why they felt the need to lock up their review of it, like their words are direct from the gaming gods lips to your screen.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 14 Nov 2002 08:52:21 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh for Christs sake, not another IGN complaint. They are a BUSINESS. They need MONEY to SURVIVE. They are not a fansite. Would you go work for free at your current job? You shouldn't be the one bitching. If I were IGN, i'd be bitching about so many people bitching about locked up content.

As for that 9.8 score-- it's a wee bit too high. Scratch that, it's way too high. This game does not deserve that score. The dude at IGNPC had some comments on the matter...

"My buddy Cory and I were having a discussion the other day and we came to this conclusion: If Metroid was called Space Trooper Girl and had no relation to Metroid but retained all of the same game mechanics, graphics and sound down to the most subtle of details, would it still be rated as highly as it is?

My answer was no."

"I can tell you that it's a fairly solid title, but not the greatest game of all time or even best of the year material."

I agree with him completely. Although I think it's ridiculous to insult IGN for trying to survive, I do think they're making mistakes with their reviews. 9.8 is just conveniently higher than Halo, eh? I know it's all opinions blah blah, but Metroid is not 9.8 good. That's near perfect, near the border where you can tell opinion from fact. And hell, they gave Xbox's Wreckless a 9.0.
  • ST.. 14 Nov 2002 09:32:18 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think the big Nintendo franchises get WAY too much good-will from games journalists.

Bill your point about "Space trooper girl" hits the nail on the head exactly. I still feel Mario Sunshine was vasty overrated.
  • Azule 14 Nov 2002 10:15:13 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh for Christs sake, not another IGN complaint. They are a BUSINESS. They need MONEY to SURVIVE....If I were IGN, i'd be bitching about so many people bitching about locked up content.

As for that 9.8 score-- it's a wee bit too high. Scratch that, it's way too high. This game does not deserve that score. The dude at IGNPC had some comments on the matter...

...9.8 is just conveniently higher than Halo, eh? I know it's all opinions blah blah, but Metroid is not 9.8 good. That's near perfect, near the border where you can tell opinion from fact. And hell, they gave Xbox's Wreckless a 9.0.
    IGN can lock up all of their articles if they wish. I don't need them to tell me what to think, it's just their opinion remember. :p

You do realize that IGN is not one big interacting gaming collective, it is seperate sections under one roof. Xbox.ign has a love for Wreckless, whereas Cube.ign has a love for Metroid. The Cube guys might think Wreckless is shit, whereas the Xbox guys might think Metroid is a Halo ripoff. Get the picture ;).

Btw, will you admit whether you pay that "small" subscription fee to IGN? I don't.

The following comments are not, "I'm angry at IGN comments," just comments from the following way of looking at things.
    (Inspired wording from you) Business Schmisiness(?), IGN needs to show a little respect to the gaming community. I'm sure they did not have to pay for that early copy of Metroid Prime (ok, I'm not sure, but it seems to be the most likely situation), other sites have put of their reviews of the game for free, Nintendo gave them that copy so that they could spread forth the word of MP, not to make a greedy profit off of it.

Actually this leak is probably good for IGN. It is exposure of an article that is pretty well written, giving everyone a taste of what they might be able to see early if they subscribe to them. Just think about it, when MP is released, word of mouth will be more powerful than anything IGN has to say, being able to see the article early gets everyone thinking about MP with a little bit of IGN in the back of their minds. Now see, that's good a business tactic. :D
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 10:20:31 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yeah I played Sunshine in Virgin and wasn't that impressed but did only play for about 20 mins...

MP has tweaked my interest though - need to get a Gamecube first though!Hehe
  • Azule 14 Nov 2002 10:51:26 98 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    They need MONEY to SURVIVE. They are not a fansite.
    Maybe you don't realize (again :D) that fansites don't necessarily or at all get free copies of games early or at all. They have to spend their own money to bring us their reviews of games, it means something to them, not just business. [link=http://www.n-philes.com/">N-philes, that posted that IGN article, has no advertising whatsoever and easily competes with the other big Nintendo site
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 14 Nov 2002 20:17:47 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I accidentally put vermin on ignore. How do I fix it?

It was an accident though, I swear.
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 20:26:51 15,745 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Edit your profile and there will be a list of people you have ignored, there's instructions on how to start paying attention to vermin just above the list.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 14 Nov 2002 20:42:57 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I didn't say anything about wanting to pay attention to him..
  • ben-stone 14 Nov 2002 22:43:54 27 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    BGiE: If you don't think it deserves the 9.8 from IGN (and maybe it doesn't) how pissed would it make you to hear that EGM is going to give it all 10's next month?

Ain't that the same score that (gasp!) Halo got? ;)
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 15 Nov 2002 07:09:45 8,934 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    true that vermin, true that
  • ST.. 15 Nov 2002 09:58:53 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Actually i happen to think that review scores ARE important.
    If a game receives shitty reviews i will not buy, conversely if it recieves good scores i will consider it.

The real trick is working out which websites and magazines you can actually trust (Eurogamer, Gamespot, Digitiser) and those you cant (cough, EDGE, cough..)
  • Tiitiz 15 Nov 2002 11:09:21 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    I would never trust Gamespot ever.
  • ST.. 15 Nov 2002 11:42:13 934 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Really? tell all....
  • Tiitiz 15 Nov 2002 13:30:55 1,128 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just me. I never agree with the revies they do and how they do it
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Nov 2002 13:32:49 40,158 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    They are usually rather too critical than too generous, and that's better than the other way round. And imo they mostly give a good reason when they don't like a game, even if I won't always share their view.

edit: complete spelling failure

Edited by UncleLou at 13:33:43 15-11-2002
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.