Any musicians here?! Page 63

• quadfather 3 Mar 2021 11:12:44 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Yeah that's why we focused on an old building nearby that's near a train track - there are sod all houses around. There's gotta be something like that somewhere. Maybe a unit or something that you can tag a bit of rent onto
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2021 11:12:58 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @wuntyate

Sorry, it's all the default bloody permissions on google drive. Try this one -

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gw6pov6Tm3Ok0ue3zY1Efrp-dcwMgDk5/view?usp=drivesdk
  • wuntyate 3 Mar 2021 11:34:48 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome I'll give it a whirl later. Meant to listen last night but see my fucking memory these days...

Aye there is probably something nearby, possibly on the industrial estate I work at so I'll have a wee nose about. Next to some big fucking noisy manufacturing yard or whatever will be ideal, make as much noise as we like then...
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2021 11:37:12 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Yeah that would be ideal. And it doesn't matter what noise they make in the day if you play at night either. Plus it will be dirt cheap especially if you can get a few others interested. I suppose it's a bit different where I am as everyone knows everyone in the village so it's easy to find out about stuff like this.
  • wuntyate 3 Mar 2021 12:10:19 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Literally chewing my own arm off to get back to playing live again.
  • quadfather 3 Mar 2021 12:42:37 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure my mp3s are helping :)
  • wuntyate 3 Mar 2021 12:50:05 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha ha they may be a factor.
  • wuntyate 4 Mar 2021 10:07:18 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather That track is awesome man. It's like being transported into a 1960s espionage thriller. I could quite happily sit with a pint and listen to that for ages. I don't personally think it "needs" to go anywhere else. It's such a joy to listen to. My head was all swirly colours, lava lamps, ladies with thigh high boots and men gathered round dim roulette tables, the air heavy with cigar smoke.

I think this pandemic is sending me mental. I like it though. Bass line is really cool.
  • wuntyate 4 Mar 2021 10:08:28 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather This was one we did last week. Still rough round the edges but I had the inclination to see if I could record me, erm, whistling: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4zGDtzt0cwQoIpBti6BH54rvo2Lot3B/view?usp=sharing
  • quadfather 4 Mar 2021 10:46:29 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather That track is awesome man. It's like being transported into a 1960s espionage thriller. I could quite happily sit with a pint and listen to that for ages. I don't personally think it "needs" to go anywhere else. It's such a joy to listen to. My head was all swirly colours, lava lamps, ladies with thigh high boots and men gathered round dim roulette tables, the air heavy with cigar smoke.

I think this pandemic is sending me mental. I like it though. Bass line is really cool.
    There's something about it isn't there. It just comes alive as soon as you start playing it. I get a similar espionage vibe too, along with a sort of haunted fun fair or something. It just does *something*. Glad you enjoyed it anyway. I love the drummers Tom fills too. He only does a few but I think they fit perfectly. I showed him the bass line once for about ten seconds and he just nodded and we went full on 4/4 time into that. I don't know how he does it.

If the singer and the guitarist alternate with singing and fucked up guitar I don't think it needs to go anywhere either as I think it'll ruin the flow but we'll experiment at least.
  • quadfather 4 Mar 2021 10:46:47 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather This was one we did last week. Still rough round the edges but I had the inclination to see if I could record me, erm, whistling: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y4zGDtzt0cwQoIpBti6BH54rvo2Lot3B/view?usp=sharing
    Ah cool, I'll put this on now
  • quadfather 4 Mar 2021 10:53:17 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Really like it. I like the main hook in the verse with the drums and guitar. Almost maiden.

The whistling is a great new dynamic! Fits well. It gives it a slight pirate vibe to me as well. A few of your tracks do actually. Which is always a good thing.

Again, there's that vibe again where it just works with whatever song.

You've gotta get yourself some kind of studio!
  • wuntyate 4 Mar 2021 13:17:58 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather ha, can't go wrong with a pirate vibe. The more piratey the better I reckon! Thanks man :)

Yes. Need to sort that ASAP.
  • quadfather 13 Mar 2021 12:15:30 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally! Got the studio webcam and recording mic working and recorded some songs last night, including video! Pictures *and* music! What next, the wheel?
  • wuntyate 15 Mar 2021 11:09:24 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Show me.
  • quadfather 15 Mar 2021 17:01:05 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'll try mate. The quality is all over the place. They're mkv files so VLC player is probably the best. You'll need some loud speakers though to get the gist. Let me download them all and I'll send a link or something
  • wuntyate 15 Mar 2021 18:48:25 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooooh don't worry. Loud speakers and good headphones I most certainly have! Don't worry if it's a faff at this stage, but would definitely love to see at some point.
  • quadfather 16 Mar 2021 13:39:03 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Check your discord
  • wuntyate 22 Mar 2021 15:15:07 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather I never got back to you once I'd watched it all. Really enjoyed watching those. Love the lights man (although it says how bad my eyesight is that I'd never be able to see my fretboard, and used to struggle like hell in gigs with anything other than a spot fully on me!) and the tunes come across pretty well even with the way it's setup just now.
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 11:14:28 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

They're super rough but yeah, that's basically what it's like when we jam.

The lights sometimes fuck me over so I occasionally have to turn slightly as there's a lightbulb out of sight that you can't see but I can, which helps. But it's good practice as some gigs have shitty lighting anyway.

Also, in other news, a couple of the tracks we're going to synth up a bit. I've just got myself a novation bass station to have a piss around with. See what comes of that.

Still jamming like mad. Will have to share some tunes once/if they ever get fucking finished :)
  • wuntyate 24 Mar 2021 11:28:28 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Novation Bass Station? Never heard of that before, what uses do you think it has? Just looked it up and I'm quite intruiged...
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 11:42:29 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

I've had a go on one in the shops, pre-war. They're fucking great - you can get any bass sound you want and just go for it. They're effectively a synth, and customised more for bass use, although you could probably use them for anything really.

It's just that some of our tracks have different effects. For instance, one of them, my bass has a phaser + chorus + fuzz all at the same time. It sounds more like a fucking lightsabre, but it's immense fun.

Plus the guitarist's missus uses my korg synth, so we always normally have something going. And we plug the synths into the audio interface, which is linked to ableton, so you can have *any* effect you want on your guitar/bass/synth.

Any.

It really does spice it up a bit when you're experimenting.

I'll record a few bits when it arrives tomorrow. Or just Youtube them. THey're super portable too!
  • wuntyate 24 Mar 2021 12:45:44 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So you can use it in conjunction with your bass?
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 13:24:05 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The way I'd use it, is have it setup near me on a stand, and I'd alternate between the bass and the synth, depending what song it is.

For the conjunction bit, I can link the synth up to ableton, where I can assign any vst I want on top of whatever patch I'm using on the synth. So you can either have the synth patch, and mess with the filters to get it how you want, or bypass the patches entirely and use an effect from Ableton, or have a blend of both. And the output comes out of the PA.

If I found something cool on the synth but I wanted to play it on the bass, I'd have to use pedals with the bass to get it. That's how we got that lightsabre sound - I put my bass into ableton directly, and we put this crazy fucking patch on it. But to be able to replicate that live easily, I just got some pedals together and fucked about till I got that same sound with the pedals so I don't have to fuck about with ableton in a live gig.

You can basically do what you want really - it's just what's easiest and less time consuming.

And now I've completely complicated it all by buying a bass synth :)

Though the guitarist is well up for incorporating it into what we do, and he's really good with synths as well.

Just experimenting really, and seeing where it goes. We do the band 100% for fun, so don't really care that much about being serious, which helps immensely as all 4 of us are the same.
  • wuntyate 24 Mar 2021 13:39:01 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ahhh got you, yes that makes sense. That's pretty cool man.

You've probably said before but what pedals are you using?

I've got three of my basses listed for selling with the intention of buying a Fender but you know what... I don't think I want to sell them. I get a pang every time I list them somewhere and I actually think I'm quite happy with what I've got. Hell, all I'm doing currently is sitting in a hot attic room recording and I can pretty much make any sound any way I want anyway.

Need to get jamming live again. I can feel my fucking sanity slipping.
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 13:53:53 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

It's so much fun. We can knock up any effect you can think of in a few minutes, and with some tinkering, can assign that effect to practically any instrument.

However, while the above is fun, the songs come first - if an effect or sound improves it, then great, but we save the tinkering for mid week pissing about. When we're at the studio, we just crank out the noise and slowly incorporate new stuff over time. We have to keep it fairly slow, as the woman on the synth is still bedding in, and the drummer is experimenting with locking in with me in different ways, so there's lots of homework to be getting on with when we're all together.

The pedal board I have, (Well, I say pedal board, it's actually an upside down lid of a flight case for a rack :) ), has a tuner pedal first, (so I can cancel all noise from all pedals at the flick of the switch to unplug safely), then there's the big muff for fuzz/distortion, then a bass clone for chorus, and then a phase shifter. Those are the effects, and then it goes into a compressor, and then finally out to the amp.

These fuckers -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iH4miYn572PLbLeY6

If you put all 3 effects on, with the settings in that picture, you turn your bass into a lightsabre :)
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 13:55:37 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Ahhh got you, yes that makes sense. That's pretty cool man.

You've probably said before but what pedals are you using?

I've got three of my basses listed for selling with the intention of buying a Fender but you know what... I don't think I want to sell them. I get a pang every time I list them somewhere and I actually think I'm quite happy with what I've got. Hell, all I'm doing currently is sitting in a hot attic room recording and I can pretty much make any sound any way I want anyway.

Need to get jamming live again. I can feel my fucking sanity slipping.
    I can help you here.

You don't *want* to sell them - that I understand.

However, you do *need* the fender.

So... :)

If it helps, I sold a yamaha tbrx-304 which was fucking lovely, but I hardly used it because, you know, fenders. I still don't like the fact I've sold it, but it was the right decision, after getting the fender, so it does work out in the end :)

You've got to get somewhere to jam!
  • wuntyate 24 Mar 2021 14:05:43 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha ha. That is true. Perhaps it's time to let go.
  • quadfather 24 Mar 2021 14:08:24 38,649 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trust me, once you get it, there's no turning back
  • wuntyate 24 Mar 2021 14:37:16 16,956 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You know what I've been looking at, which I just love the look of (and the build quality is meant to be amazing as well) is the Japanese Fender Aerodyne basses.

Check it: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Aerodyne-Jazz-Bass-Black/V3U?origin=product-ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwxuuCBhATEiwAIIIz0RsZBTN7AJ_8k0lc_EETYzPtYX7CfL9LNBzQ_wjpljL9tZhHm0GifRoCYCkQAvD_BwE

Edited by wuntyate at 14:37:24 24-03-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.