Any musicians here?! Page 65

• quadfather 26 Mar 2021 16:53:00 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not ready no. There is still a 1% chance that it might arrive. On their notes it says, "in some rare cases the delivery timestamp may be premature so it's advised to wait a few more days"

I wonder why they chose the word "rare" there, hmm
  • wuntyate 29 Mar 2021 11:56:44 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather What's the report on the bass station then now you've had it a day or so?

Any closer to finding the missing one?
  • quadfather 29 Mar 2021 13:48:38 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

It's absolutely brilliant. It does exactly what we wanted - insane bass. It packs a hell of a punch and can cut through anything! Very intuitive too - you can get stuff up and running in seconds. I had it on at home after the studio just pissing about with it for hours. Highly recommended!

UPS have now spoken to me via email a bit and it's over to the supplier now, so I'm going to send them all the correspondence I've had with UPS and see what they say.

Ballache, but still ongoing

Also bizarrely rolled a new Bloodborne character last night too, haha
  • wuntyate 29 Mar 2021 14:39:33 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like it's exactly what you hoped it would be! It's definitely somehting that's on my radar now, but unfortunately something I don't think I would get the use of in the projects I'm currently doing. I'm eyeing up more synth related things down the line though so...

Hopefully your supplier sorts it out for you, I imagine they must surely be insured against this type of thing.

Ha ha what prompted that?
  • quadfather 29 Mar 2021 18:57:23 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

I think it fits us as our music is a bit experimental anyway, plus we've already got a synth in the band as it is. We recorded a quiet intro to one of our songs and I used it for that. It sounds brill! I'll dig it out.

Yeah I have a feeling this is going to take a long time to get sorted with the missing synth.

I was reading something that mentioned the anniversary of Bloodborne, and there's a sort of event each year where everyone in the know rolls characters. That was enough to make me go, "yeah, sounds good - I'll piss that" after some ciders and promptly got killed 10 times in a row.
  • wuntyate 29 Mar 2021 19:09:01 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather oooh yeah man it'll fit right in with your stuff, it'll sound awesome.

Ha ha I bet you did. I was considering firing it back up but played through recently. It's a ruddy classic.

Yeah I reckon it will, sounds like it rests on your supplier stepping up to the mark but it's all culpability innit.
  • quadfather 29 Mar 2021 19:44:51 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Honestly, let me dig out this intro. It's mental on that, and that's just the intro!

It's a fucking great game. Though it's fucking hard again. Where's my shield for when I'm stoned and it's all a bit much? Fucking gun? The fuck.

Etc

I might just chalk it down to this synth costing 700 it's that good.
  • quadfather 1 Apr 2021 17:01:36 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

I have some news about the bass station finally!

Shop has got back to me now as I've hassled them a bit. They're sorry it's not been delivered and are doing an investigation their end now. And the woman dealing with it says she'll take over and sort it out.

So that's good. Tbh, if they just sent me another, that'd fine as the thing is so damn good, I could use one at home and the studio without dragging it around. But will see
  • quadfather 5 Apr 2021 19:30:52 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

See if this works. Kinda ignore the drums later as we're experimenting plus we haven't got his lyrics yet, but for a taster-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LLSIhJmi7jHFxkqzK4gDL7Q62LP8-1lF/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by quadfather at 21:57:57 05-04-2021
  • quadfather 9 Apr 2021 10:07:00 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, have you heard any songs by Alestorm? Like Drink, or Keelhauled?
  • quadfather 9 Apr 2021 19:13:38 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another one! It's called Sinister Sister

https://drive.google.com/file/d/171v9-1W3CR4EhZ_EZPXWZyOP3UKaUG7g/view?usp=drivesdk
  • wuntyate 12 Apr 2021 14:33:46 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Sorry chief, had a bit of an enforced internet detox last couple of weeks so haven't been around. I shall check out your links shortly!

Yeah I do like a bit of Alestorm, quite a guilty pleasure. Mexico is my favourite by far. That Christopher Bowes guy is in another completely over the top band called Gloryhammer which are just as much of a pisstake and worth checking out. Our last singer used to be quite pally with a couple of the guys in Alestorm I think.

Been learning this saxophone the last week or so. I'm a little bit in love with it.
  • quadfather 12 Apr 2021 14:58:57 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Cool! No worries - hows the detox going? The internet does get a bit sticky and smelly after a while doesn't it. Good to have a break.

Cool - I'll check those other bands out - it was a mate of mine that told me about Alestorm, so I'll run them by him too.

Haha, I've never tried a saxophone? Is it difficult? Fun?
  • wuntyate 12 Apr 2021 15:18:38 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather It was nice actually. Good to do it every so often. Feel a bit less connected but certainly no worse for it!

It's... Different to what I thought. I was always intimidated by all the keys, but actually all that is quite straight forward. It's all the shit you need to do with your cheeks, lips, tongue (ooh err) that's the tricky bit. I'm used to the trumpet which, like the trombone and other brass, is all about lip pressure. This is all about the whole jaw, and placement of the mouthpiece etc. Some days it's been great and others I just sound like a goose with the shits, but I'm definitely understanding what I'm doing wrong when it's not working now so it's going pretty good. When it clicks, it's amazing. I've probably got an octave range (from D just above middle C to the high D) going pretty well so far. I'd recommend it actually.
  • quadfather 12 Apr 2021 15:49:36 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Sounds really cool man! I'd love to give one a go. I know about the ombuchure or however the fuck you spell it for trumpet and trombone, but know zippo about saxophones.

Dammit, I might have to get a cheapo one and see what it's like. IT'll go nice next to the trombone haha!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of the Sinister Sister track when you get a moment too
  • quadfather 12 Apr 2021 16:02:32 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Forgot to ask - is yours alto or tenor, or one of the others?
  • wuntyate 12 Apr 2021 16:14:17 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather It's an alto as I read that's the easiest to start with but I think I might eventually switch to tenor. I'll see how I get on. Quite like the range of the alto though tbh.

Yeah it's a totally different embouchure to a brass instrument but it's still intuitive in it's own way, just very different. If I shove the mouthpiece too far in my gob I honk like a bastard, not far enough in and I squeeze the reed so no sound comes out. Even when the placement is right I'll accidentally play an octave too high or squeak like a twat if I'm pressing too much.

But after a week, it's totally starting to click.

It's very difficult not to descend into complete innuendo when discussing this.
  • quadfather 12 Apr 2021 17:00:08 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Haha, yeah, I'm expecting innuendobot to arrive shortly.

Cool - I've just had a look at some reviews and stuff and I might get a cheapo branded gear4music one to piss about with
  • quadfather 12 Apr 2021 18:24:52 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    May have, just, er, seen a saxophone
  • wuntyate 12 Apr 2021 20:25:36 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha ha ha. Did you get a gear4music one in the end?

I've just done an hour there and I was a hot mess. Yesterday I was sounding brilliant. I love the ups and downs of learning an instrument (not).

Right, I'm going to listen to your stuff now before I get stuck into this mixing.
  • wuntyate 12 Apr 2021 20:34:26 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Like them man. Sinister Sister is starting to sound very polished indeed. The levels are all sounding really spot on. The female vox sound a little muffled for some reason but I can't really think of anything else that doesn't sit quite right. Loving the bass, naturally.

She Comes Alive... Is that the bass thing on at the start or one of the other synths? Starting to sound good already, but I know it's a WIP.

Also, and I don't mean this is a bad way, but Sinister Sister makes me think of Super Hans saying Sinister Minister.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 00:24:04 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Cheers!

The vocals are still being mixed - that's just the latest demo but yeah I know what you mean

Yes! That's the bass station that compliments the female singer in the korg. It's a bit mad but yeah, there's something going on

Haha super Hans :)

I'll be back tomorrow to ask how the fuck you play the saxophone!
  • wuntyate 13 Apr 2021 09:43:38 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather When you figure it out, tell me! Squeaking like a twat all day yesterday. Fuck knows what I was doing wrong as it could be caused by one of 6 - 8 things.

Also, reeds aren't cheap! Damn, will need a good source of decent ones from somewhere.

Bass sounds brilliant though man and, yeah, I totally get it's still being mixed. It's so close already though I reckon, sounds very polished indeed.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 10:02:04 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Haha, mine's coming today. I'm kinda glad you got one because its all I needed to push me to get one - I've always wanted to have a go, so fuck it, lets have a crack.

So whats the score with reeds then - do you have to keep replacing them over time, or just get a decent set, or what?

Cheers - the bass on She Comes Alive is a fun little thing to play. It's a tad tricky doing the bass station at the start on the intro, with a bass guitar slung round my neck, and then moving immediately to the bass guitar to hit the verse, and then back again at the end of the track to the bass station! Fun though playing different stuff.

Need more arms.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 11:17:27 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Saxophone is here!

Ooo it's shiny
  • wuntyate 13 Apr 2021 11:26:32 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather I think you're meant to change your reed every week / two weeks! They get warped and cracked etc over use and the sound gets fucked. I'm using a 1.5 but only because the sax I bought had some included. I've not changed yet as it still looks okay but it may be on it's way out which is why the sound was fucked yesterday. I'll see how I go on it this evening. I was going to get the gear4 music one but got a Jupiter on ebay in decent nick for the same price so I'm using that. Trouble is that as it's not new, I won't really know if my issues are due to any pad wear or anything or just me being incompetent. Risks you take!

That was quick! Keen to see your impressions. Definitely worth youtubing vids for embouchure as there are about 5000 but all offering similar advice. Just takes time to get used to making the shape with your mouth I think.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 11:38:41 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

You'll have to give us a hand with this - it's got all sorts of pipes and bits and things.

Every 2 weeks? Blimey.

I hear good stuff about Jupiter - I was looking on ebay too, but they were straight out of my price range. I'm sure you'll get used to yours over time.

Yeah, super quick delivery. Um, yeah, so how does it all go together...might be a quick google required here!
  • wuntyate 13 Apr 2021 11:46:41 16,956 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Depends how many bits it came in!! Once it's together it's surprisngly straight forward. It definitely looks more intimidating than it is. Like your main "round" pearl looking keys are the main ones you'll need. There are other keys for sharps flats etc, and an octave key for going higher but - I found I was hitting the high notes without it (a sure sign my embouchure was far too tight I reckon). Posture and holding the thing is an art in itself. I presume it came with a neck strap? You want that height set so when you essentially pivot the mouth piece towards your head it fits comfortably in your mouth without you having to bend over.

Nope. It's going into innuendo again.

I lucked out and the one I got had 5 books with it, two of which were basically "how to play the saxophone from scratch" so that was right up my street.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 12:01:09 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

well, let's see - https://photos.app.goo.gl/A4v9qnMQdJM9tZnq6

I see the pearl ones now for both left and right hand. Got it.

Yes, got a strap - no idea where it goes yet! Ok, I'll make sure I've got a good posture with it. Very nearly went innuendo there.

I think I might have seen a few with a collection of books - I did order a beginners guide to get me going - and I'm going to have a quick read of "saxophone setup" youtube vids first. Singer in the band plays clarinet too, and she says she'll bring some reeds down later, so she might be able to give me some tips on my method. Innuendo carefully avoided there.
  • quadfather 13 Apr 2021 12:02:13 38,649 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, definitely need to get posture sorted. I was playing the double bass the other day and I wasn't holding it properly. SHoulder is fucking killing today :/
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.