Any musicians here?! Page 71

  • quadfather 24 Apr 2021 15:15:51 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    You'll get used to it - it'll be fine. Now would be possibly the best time ever to sign up to those bassbuzz lessons!
    I signed up. It didn't seem as bad as I thought after the conversion to GBP. It'd better be good!
    I can guarantee it! I'm that confident! Let us know after you've tried a few. Looking forward to seeing how you get on
  • quadfather 24 Apr 2021 15:18:19 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    He is good. I did the whole course last summer.

    Can't remember a fucking thing mind, and just reverted to doing what I always do, but he's good.
    Roots and fifths :)
  • Dirtbox 24 Apr 2021 17:26:45 92,357 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Going live in a few. Link is on the last page, dunno if it'll work, I'm sure we'll find out.
  • Dirtbox 24 Apr 2021 17:27:02 92,357 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Cool. I hate folk music, but that's his jam. He's worked hard on it. I've a feeling the stream will be here, more or less, I'll update it if there are changes.

    https://www.facebook.com/High-Tide-Tom-110853623958474/

    I'll more than likely be the camera man.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:02:47 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76

    So how is the bass going then? Any joy with the courses?
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 10:18:39 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Good thanks, really enjoying it. Trying to focus hard on getting my alternate plucking really consistent, but my middle finger often rests on the string it's supposed to be plucking for a split second, which breaks the rhythm a bit and adds a brief unwanted mute. Or a different part of the finger connects and I get a sharp attack more like a plectrum, which again doesn't sound too good! But it's just practice isn't it.

    The course is good but seems to be going by pretty quickly. I'm onto lesson 3 or 4 of module 2 I think. I guess it'll get slower as it gets harder! Being able to play guitar has probably helped with some elements of this early stuff I guess, fretting mainly.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:27:33 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76

    Sounds great. Yes, it takes a while to click, but it's *really* worth learning the alternate plucking correctly first, otherwise you'll learn some slapdash method and you'll have to un-learn that later - might as well go the right direction from the start! I know exactly what you mean about the middle finger not behaving properly. It will soon. It's to be expected at the moment.

    Yes, if you've played guitar, it will help immensely with fretting, shapes, etc, plus you probably have a decent amount of theory knowledge too that you can apply.

    One of the great things about the courses is that if you want to learn the theory, it's there for you, but Josh provides alternate methods if you don't want to, so it's win win there.

    Yeah, you'll whizz through the first lessons as you're not a beginner, but I can guarantee you'll slow down a bit soon. I made sure I could do every fast playthrough of exercised before moving on, and sometimes came back later to experiment. Plus the comments in each lesson are good, with a Q&A section, and Josh will answer *every* question anyone asks.

    Also, you'll slow down when you get to Billie Jean, trust me :)

    Edit - the main thing is that you're enjoying it, which is the most important thing, so that's great.

    Edited by quadfather at 10:28:07 30-04-2021
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 10:32:09 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Sounds great. Yes, it takes a while to click, but it's *really* worth learning the alternate plucking correctly first, otherwise you'll learn some slapdash method and you'll have to un-learn that later - might as well go the right direction from the start!
    Totally - I'm being *really* strict with myself, not allowing myself to fudge it even at this early stage. Playing guitar, my picking hand is worse than my fretting hand I'd say (even though it's my stronger hand as a righty) so I want to avoid that with bass.


    Also, you'll slow down when you get to Billie Jean, trust me :)
    Yeah I remember you and wunty working on that last summer :)
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:37:02 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's good. Some discipline is always good, and Josh will entertain you enough to make you not really notice at the time.

    Just out of interest, where do you place your right hand thumb when plucking?
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 10:37:42 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76 Oh it'll get tougher for sure (the aforementioned Billie Jean... shudder). That's good you're enjoying it! Yeah man. It's just practice.

    Like this fucking saxophone. What a fucking learning curve. Sometimes I hate the bloody thing. But then the next day it all clicks and sounds amazing. The joys.

    On a related note, I've started to get pain in my hands in my fretting hand when playing the bass, all around the knuckles. Not sure if it's related to my raynaud's disease or if it's something else. I've started to panic and think it's the onset of arthritis. It's probably just my shit playing technique catching up with me.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:40:32 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

    Do you get that pain when you're not playing the bass, i.e., is it only bass specific or happens all the time?
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 10:42:14 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    That's good. Some discipline is always good, and Josh will entertain you enough to make you not really notice at the time.

    Just out of interest, where do you place your right hand thumb when plucking?
    On top of the pickup when plucking the E string. And on the E string for the A, and on the A for the D and G. Mainly because that's what Josh has told me to do :)

    On the pickup though, because it's a P bass pickup, it has a screw in the middle of the top surface, so I either need to rest it the neck side or the bridge side of the screw, and I haven't settled on which I prefer. Not that it probably matters too much I guess.
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 10:42:24 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather The pain lingers afterwards but nothing else brings it on.

    I'm probably just out of practice and not playing enough. My brain is all over the place these days so it's naturally telling me that I have something incurable that will stop me from playing for the rest of my life.
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 10:44:03 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Obviously no expert, but are you pressing down too hard?
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:50:39 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    That's good. Some discipline is always good, and Josh will entertain you enough to make you not really notice at the time.

    Just out of interest, where do you place your right hand thumb when plucking?
    On top of the pickup when plucking the E string. And on the E string for the A, and on the A for the D and G. Mainly because that's what Josh has told me to do :)

    On the pickup though, because it's a P bass pickup, it has a screw in the middle of the top surface, so I either need to rest it the neck side or the bridge side of the screw, and I haven't settled on which I prefer. Not that it probably matters too much I guess.
    Excellent, I was hoping you'd say that. It's a really good method - soon, you won't even realise you're doing it (you might be not noticing already, but I don't know where you're at with it all)

    Yeah, I'm trying to think on my p bass - I think my thumb is slightly towards the neck rather than the bridge when resting on the pickup. It's not that much a big deal at this stage but later on when your fingers are solid, you'll hear a tiny difference in tone, but this is one of the things that you can forget about as it's like a passive skill and it'll happen over time automatically. I wish they were *all* passive skills :D

    Plus, the above plucking method helps tons for muting. THat, in conjunction with your left hand resting on the strings that aren't being played should give you 100% muting.
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 10:51:38 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkman76 Could be. I maybe just need to reassess my sitting position and my awful left hand technique. I do tend to grab the fretboard like a child grabbing a cats tail so I'm very possibly paying the price. I'll get the negative shit out my head and approach it differently later and see if I can make some changes that negate it to some extent.

    Still firing through the tunes though despite it and I think we're still getting a bit better with our settings etc. We finished this one a couple of nights ago: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPug_PKiul0-CHYFNx0F65JR_QStSav7/view?usp=sharing
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 10:52:10 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather The pain lingers afterwards but nothing else brings it on.

    I'm probably just out of practice and not playing enough. My brain is all over the place these days so it's naturally telling me that I have something incurable that will stop me from playing for the rest of my life.
    Haha I have days like that :)

    Get practicing you lazy sod.
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 10:53:32 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Tell you what though, the one thing I have been doing ever since I did Josh's course, is finger picking when I can get away with it in a tune. So if nothing else he taught me that and, whilst I'll never be amazing at it as I don't do it enough, I love having the option of adding it in to certain parts of the music.

    Edited by wuntyate at 10:53:39 30-04-2021
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 10:54:09 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Get practicing you lazy sod.
    Ha, I pretty much need someone to kick my arse.
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 10:58:41 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @monkman76 Could be. I maybe just need to reassess my sitting position and my awful left hand technique. I do tend to grab the fretboard like a child grabbing a cats tail so I'm very possibly paying the price. I'll get the negative shit out my head and approach it differently later and see if I can make some changes that negate it to some extent.

    Still firing through the tunes though despite it and I think we're still getting a bit better with our settings etc. We finished this one a couple of nights ago: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPug_PKiul0-CHYFNx0F65JR_QStSav7/view?usp=sharing
    This is really good. As usual your production is great.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 11:05:09 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather Tell you what though, the one thing I have been doing ever since I did Josh's course, is finger picking when I can get away with it in a tune. So if nothing else he taught me that and, whilst I'll never be amazing at it as I don't do it enough, I love having the option of adding it in to certain parts of the music.
    Yeah definitely. I'm the other way round in that I can do basic pick work, but yes, it's good to have both options
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 11:10:40 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    @monkman76 Could be. I maybe just need to reassess my sitting position and my awful left hand technique. I do tend to grab the fretboard like a child grabbing a cats tail so I'm very possibly paying the price. I'll get the negative shit out my head and approach it differently later and see if I can make some changes that negate it to some extent.

    Still firing through the tunes though despite it and I think we're still getting a bit better with our settings etc. We finished this one a couple of nights ago: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jPug_PKiul0-CHYFNx0F65JR_QStSav7/view?usp=sharing
    This is really good. As usual your production is great.
    Yup, seconded. Great sound production and I like the way it flows.

    I must dig out some of ours. They're not mastered yet, but we're starting to get some half decent live recordings now.
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 11:13:41 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks chaps! We're thinking the drums are sounding a bit better and I've cut away some of the shit that was fuzzing around the vocals, giving them a bit more clarity and less shitty noise at weird frequencies. Think it's paying off.

    Edited by wuntyate at 11:14:04 30-04-2021
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 11:32:38 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just listened to a few of hours and one new one is great, but it falls apart half way through as we're still deciding where it goes. I'll leave that one for now :) I'll see if we get anything half decent at tonights practice.
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 11:39:06 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Massive bass solo at halfway point then end. Done.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 11:46:25 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't do bass solos. Well, I'm not good enough for one thing, but fret wanking isn't really our bag, man :)

    I do like to put funky riffs on the end of bar 4 most of the time though. Still trying to mix up playing styles too. The drummer is really helping me with that though, as he's very good, and can do various rhythms so it forces me to follow his bass drum which produces some mad results sometimes
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 11:47:31 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Drum solo then
  • monkman76 30 Apr 2021 11:47:53 18,583 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or all just scream and then cut.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 11:52:18 38,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We do have one where it's going to stop dead but we're still sorting the vox out for that one. In fact, I hope we practice that one tonight
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 12:02:39 17,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We get bored with ours after 2 and a half minutes so just stop all your songs there. Then you don't need to worry about it.

    Or yeah just fill everything with a bass solo.

    Got 2 albums coming out on the 14th May. Whoop. One punk, one metal. Can't wait for all our zero fans to hear them.

    God damn I really need to have a think about promotion.

    Edited by wuntyate at 12:02:57 30-04-2021
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.