Any musicians here?! Page 72

• quadfather 30 Apr 2021 12:17:05 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

We have the opposite problem. Because we play slower songs than you, it takes us longer to get all the arrangements down.

One song that we liked playing was 17 minutes long ffs. We've sorted that now, but most of our songs are definitely all between 4:30 and 6 minutes at the moment. Might need to sort that.

You putting the albums on spotify, et all? You'll have to get your hands dirty with filthy social media briefly to spam them all with links. Any local venues your way you could advertise?
  • wuntyate 30 Apr 2021 12:57:13 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Yeah there's a lot more going on with your stuff, I can imagine it'll be a lengthy process to finalise where evrything is going. Worth it though as the stuff I've heard so far is pretty damn good.

Yeah they go on spotify / apple / amazon etc etc and once in a while a radio station somewhere will maybe grab a song and play it which will get us a bit more listens but there's nowhere concrete I know to go to in order to have loads of exposure.

What I can do apparently is when they are queued up for release on spotify is submit a track off each for playlist consideration, which would be a huge boon to get. You sign into spotify for artists, claim your profiles and you get access to more tools and stats etc. Amazon do something similar but I can't see a way to submit to curated playlists, so I think that's more a case if if your stuff gets happened upon and they like it.
  • quadfather 30 Apr 2021 13:25:13 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

It will be if we ever fucking finish them haha

Ah yes, I remember you saying about a radio station. Good start.

I suppose local gigs are the easiest, and I suppose it gives you time between now and then to advertise however you can really online. I'd give that consideration thing a go, definitely
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 01:32:53 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Done another live version of our Sinister Sister track, although the lyrics have changed so we might call it Sinister System. Whatever. So, we've moved the recording mic so *please ignore the levels*!! I can't stress that enough!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14GOslOCVw2Af7FH9qmepoI8e7_RHyaLr/view?usp=drivesdk
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 09:48:54 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dammit just rename it Sinister Minister and be done with it.

Awesome man I'll have a listen after work!
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2021 13:59:45 26,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Just restrung my classical guitar in the vain hope I start to actually learn and practise. I so wish I had will power.
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 14:01:55 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do it. Learning is shit at first so needs a fuck ton of will power but once you get in the habit of practising and the practice starts to pay off you realise its all worth it. Do it.
  • monkman76 3 May 2021 14:22:51 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm lucky in that I get an almost masochistic pleasure from drilling something repetitive over and over. It's that knowledge that one day I'll wake up and it'll be automatic, just pure muscle memory, and that's such an amazing feeling.
  • monkman76 3 May 2021 14:25:08 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Which is just paraphrasing what wunty said, but hey :)
  • monkman76 3 May 2021 14:26:39 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I'll do my customary plug: justinguitar.com. It's not classical guitar specifically but I started on a classical using Justin for the first 4 months.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2021 14:29:52 26,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @monkman76
    Thank you mate 👍

I fully understand what you are all saying and you are bang on. I used to have so much willpower (when bodybuilding) I started playing guitar about 20 years* ago and I can play all open chords and a few songs but nothing else...I should be so much better.

*in fairness I would think over that period of time I have practiced less than 6 months, certainly no more than a year if all combined.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 14:33:57 03-05-2021
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 14:30:56 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Just restrung my classical guitar in the vain hope I start to actually learn and practise. I so wish I had will power.
    Go for it, why not.

For regular practice I've always found that playing for 20 minutes each day is better than 2-3 hours 1 day a week - you need a routine. Then it just becomes habitual. If you get some courses like Monkman suggested, then you'll have a goal too.

And plus, it's fun when it clicks!
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 14:32:21 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    I'm lucky in that I get an almost masochistic pleasure from drilling something repetitive over and over. It's that knowledge that one day I'll wake up and it'll be automatic, just pure muscle memory, and that's such an amazing feeling.
    I do this too! When we record stuff, I listen to it at home, then play it again and I play on top of my bass that's already there. Or just get a beat going and just do the same verse/chorus/whatever until my hand aches.

It definitely does work!
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2021 14:37:52 26,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather
    Hi mate. That is the strange thing I LOVE Guitar of all flavours and when I can play through a Dylan or Petty song I am grinning like a fool...but I just don't manage to string (i've still got it!) any days together at all.

Seriously I can play for say 2 days, maybe 2 hours over that time and then I will not pick up for several weeks maybe months, even though my Guitars are on stands in my "man-cave" I suppose we will see what happens, talk is cheap of course.
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 14:42:19 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chipping in with my own learning experience: Learning an instrument all subjective. If you start learning with a view to being a virtuoso in a few years you're going to get frustrated at a (seemingly) lack of progress. Best thing is is to:

A) accept that the majority of your practices will sound like shit - if you do this and acknowledge that it is just that, practice (not a recital) you'll be less judgemental of yourself. It's THAT that is the momentum killer. You look at the instrument and think "I can't play it as good as I want to so I'm not going to bother". That's not what it's about. Little goals, little milestones is what it's about. Some days I'll lose to just getting one note sounding okay. Other days I'll play just for the fun of it, playing stuff I already know and just enjoying the instrument. It's not all graft. Which brings me to:

B) have fun - that's why you're doing it. Some days you just won't be feeling it and it's better to stop than brute force your way through. It will give you a more negative relationship with the instrument if you force it on days you aren't feeling it.

Practice when it suits you. Your progress may be slower but it will still be progress.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2021 15:24:26 26,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate
    All good mate, I was waiting for you to say take your practice up to 11 😄 the fact you didn't does you a great service.

Never forget "you can't really dust for vomit'
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 15:28:41 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah pretty much exactly what Wunty says I reckon. It's not about trying to get better, it's just about enjoying playing an instrument. Routines and practice all help obviously but are hand in hand with the enjoyment.

You got anyone you can jam with? I find this helps tremendously
  • DUFFMAN5 3 May 2021 15:43:52 26,707 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather
    No mate, I do have Rocksmith on Xbox though,
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 17:10:10 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool, I just find playing along with another instrument helps loads
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 19:33:39 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather So when I think I'm good on the bass, then I stumble upon guys like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hGBsFYmK0
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 19:38:38 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Done another live version of our Sinister Sister track, although the lyrics have changed so we might call it Sinister System. Whatever. So, we've moved the recording mic so *please ignore the levels*!! I can't stress that enough!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14GOslOCVw2Af7FH9qmepoI8e7_RHyaLr/view?usp=drivesdk
    Like it man. I love the chorus(?) bit, well, the refrain that starts "you don't know" etc. Sounds awesome though, regardless of what you end up calling it lol. Think it's my fav one.
  • monkman76 3 May 2021 20:42:32 18,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah that's good quaddy, I like it. Moody!
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 20:52:39 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather So when I think I'm good on the bass, then I stumble upon guys like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4hGBsFYmK0
    See it's always fret wankers that get shown. It bores me to tears on guitar when it's unnecessary, never mind a bass! Moving on :)
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 20:59:52 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers guys. Bizarrely, it was my least favourite track when we started it but it is growing on me now. The drummers vox (the guy that's singing the you don't know) is bringing quite a few options for it now.

We nearly nailed my favourite one too, but female vox fucked it up at the start. Actually, fuck it, I'll post it anyway, just ignore the start bit where she should have come in earlier and we're still trying to time the ridiculous drum fills :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14hj37P0h4izC2pCIguoMiIvRpuyyc6FF/view?usp=drivesdk
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 21:15:28 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    See it's always fret wankers that get shown. It bores me to tears on guitar when it's unnecessary, never mind a bass! Moving on :)
    Ha ha, right response! No substitute for a three chord catchy as fuck tune imo.
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 21:45:52 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it isn't broken, it doesn't need to be fixed.

Plus, your bloody ears tell you when it's right

Edited by quadfather at 21:46:15 03-05-2021
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 22:02:52 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm in awe of the skill to be honest. Thing is, I'll never play like that because it's years and years of theory, scales, learning shit etc etc. That's... not me.

Like you, it's all in the ear. If it sounds good and I like it, that's it.

For example, I'm already skipping the scales pages on my sax lessons.

Edited by wuntyate at 22:03:12 03-05-2021
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 22:37:32 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I think after you have the basics down on one instrument, you generally have an idea. And then you learn all the cool nuances of other instruments.

I'm missing my p/j bass like mad at the moment after agreeing the jazz was better for our music. Which it is I guess, but the pj keeps looking at me.
  • wuntyate 3 May 2021 22:42:17 17,031 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooh, it'll be well put out.
  • quadfather 3 May 2021 23:49:22 38,709 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've just had to go and get it and have a play on my practice amp upstairs. Still sounds absolutely gorgeous, but it's not quite right for our music. It's either that, or this particular jazz is something made from the gods or something
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.