Any musicians here?! Page 75

• wuntyate 14 May 2021 12:50:01 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather I need to hear it. If you get chance to record something on it and I'll listen when I'm not in work!
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 12:50:53 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @monkman76 Lol, I know. I'm bloody addicted to video games as well which really doesn't help, so I genuinely would get nowhere without someone urging me on. It doesn't help either that I have my typewriter out calling to me and I'm trying to finish a story I'm working on, and trying to learn this sax as well. I'm a fucking flake and I need 50 hours in a day.
    Haha. "And trying to learn the sax as well". Man of many talents :D

Yeah, whatever you do, don't buy returnal for fucks sake!
  • wuntyate 14 May 2021 12:51:57 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Cheers man! Yeah, as I wrote above, I need a kick up the arse on a regular basis. Too much going on in my head so what happens is I drown it out with gaming. I'm a much better person when the thoughts are organised and I'm working towards something.

Ah, an impromptu jam, that's awesome!
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 12:52:57 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather I need to hear it. If you get chance to record something on it and I'll listen when I'm not in work!
    I'm definitely taking it to the studio tonight and will use it for tonight's session.

The strings are super bright, so it may need some time to break in, but it's ready to rock straight away - I've checked the intonation which is bang on, the action which is bang on, and it was even in tune ffs!

I need to hear if it sits as well in the mix in active mode as the passive stuff I've been doing.
  • wuntyate 14 May 2021 12:58:38 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather That's impressive! Can't wait to hear what it sounds like man. You must be champing at the bit to get to your practice tonight.
  • boo 14 May 2021 13:08:04 13,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @quaddy

That is gorgeous. If it sounds half as good as it looks, that is going to be sweet!
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 13:10:18 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Obligatory shiny tuner pic before my hands grub it up

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zucc9RL38LHAvsfd6

Edited by quadfather at 13:10:27 14-05-2021
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 13:12:19 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Lovely
    The modern D neck feels better in my hands than the C too, it's silky as fuck to play!
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 13:13:09 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    @quaddy

That is gorgeous. If it sounds half as good as it looks, that is going to be sweet!
    It sounds amazing! I need to get to the studio to get it on the bass amp there. Christ I feel like running down the street with it to get there at the moment! Fucking work in the way!
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 14:26:26 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather Jesus wept. That's lovely. Pity it's not black, but it's fucking lovely.
    Also, you know what I'm like with colours on basses. I never go for the standard ones. They have to be a bit mental.
  • quadfather 14 May 2021 17:31:05 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Matching strap!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3eitbnpZPW5kB7a2A

Also, it has little small swirls of slightly different coloured wood on the fretboard. It's really nice.

Edited by quadfather at 17:32:29 14-05-2021
  • quadfather 18 May 2021 13:57:01 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok, Iíve been playing this ultra jazz every day since I got it last week or whenever it was. Iíve had it in my practice amp upstairs, my main markbass amp in the music room and itís had 3 sessions at the studio.

And it is absolutely hands down, without question the best bass Iíve ever played in my life :)

Itís unbelievable. I donít know how it ticks all the boxes but it does so amazingly well.

Itís almost like I can get exactly what bass i want with it effortlessly. Amazing!

The other guys in the band commented the same too, so I'm pretty sure this is, "the one" as they say. It really does stand out.

I'll try and get some recordings done.
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:15:16 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Shit man, sounds brilliant. You've found your bass soulmate I reckon.

Really need to play my bass again. I'm going to forget how pretty soon.

Although I now have a 2 octave range on the sax. Fuck yeah. Nearly at the end of my book which puts me from grade 0 to 2 in a couple of months. Actually ended up losing myself in some kind of jazzy improv shit* last night and it felt great.

*emphasis on the shit part
  • quadfather 18 May 2021 14:26:44 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Yeah, it just gets better every time I pick it up!

Jesus, you're really coming on with the sax now aren't you. Because of this bass, mine is sidelined for now as we have a fuck ton of stuff to work out. And the local pub opened for the first time yesterday with new managers that live in the village and they want some live music!

Be a great place to have a few practice gigs to get up to speed

Be famous next year.
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:33:26 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Brilliant man, that would be awesome to have a few live bookings down the line to give you all something on the horizon.

I don't think we're going down the route of a live band now. Just can't be bothered with all the hassle. There's so many reasons why it would be great but we've been burned SO much in the past and there's such a lack of musicians up here that we just can't be bothered with the grief.

Don't know how I feel about that. 5 parts fine with it and 5 parts depressed I think.
  • quadfather 18 May 2021 14:36:38 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Tbh, we're not expecting much either. I think our idea is to just give it a go with this outfit and see what happens.

The main reason we play is because we like it. That's it. So we'll just keep at it and see how it goes.

We're all in our 40's, and it's not like we've got burning ambition or anything, but it's worth a shot just for shits and giggles really.

Just do whatever it is that you want to do. And balls to everyone else!
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:41:39 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Yeah man, it's more my mates decison than mine to be fair but I'm not doing it without him. I may be able to convince him yet as he did turn around earlier in the year, but what doesn't help is that I'm still so undecided myself. I think I'm too afraid to admit I'm NEVER doing it again as that's shutting the door on that part of my life forever, which is fucking freaking me out.

Who knows. A few years down the line I may find myself playing jazz and blues to old bastards in bars if I keep the sax going.

Ha, I typed that for a joke but actually am not against the idea.
  • quadfather 18 May 2021 14:43:36 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Well it doesn't have to be that black and white does it? I mean, why not just leave the door slightly ajar and see what happens later?

And in the meantime, play some cool jazz and blues in bars :) That sounds great, actually.

Do you need a bassist? haha
  • wuntyate 18 May 2021 14:57:58 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather ha ha ill give you a shout in a couple of years and we can tour the country with our sweet sweet jazz.
  • quadfather 18 May 2021 15:02:41 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha brilliant
  • superdelphinus 1 Jun 2021 15:28:38 10,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Native instrumentsí summer of sound is live for this year. Same deals as usual where all upgrades on the komplete bundles are half price. On sale until the end of this month I think.
  • superdelphinus 1 Jun 2021 15:55:54 10,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also, have guitars become more expensive over the last year or so? I went to a couple of bricks and mortar shops yesterday and my telecaster was around 20% more expensive than when I bought it last year.
  • PickledShogun 1 Jun 2021 16:06:35 103 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Ive dabbled on and off with guitar for many a year, but used lockdown to sit down and teach myself properly. With the help of YouTube etc I've come on leaps and bounds these past 18 months. A part of me regrets not taking guitar playing seriously in my younger years, but that being said where I'm at now is very satisfying and I'm improving each week.

I've an Ibanez RG and am borrowing a friends Line 6 amp. We've actually jammed together over the last week, even writing a few tracks in the style of epic metal with smatterings of Paradise Lost. Lots of fun.
  • superdelphinus 1 Jun 2021 21:07:03 10,497 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Donít worry you can get yourself up to 85% pretty quickly. That last 15% takes decades in my experience. Learning the guitar isnít as linear as learning the piano I think, in terms of the difficulty gradient.
  • PickledShogun 1 Jun 2021 23:03:55 103 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @superdelphinus

Chees for the positive feedback. I've working on the scales Minor Pentatonic, Blues, Natural Minor, Major, Dorian & Mixolydian. I've also begun working on a one shape arpeggio courtesy of Paul Davids via YT, who I've found to be a very good at explain technique and is very easy to follow.

My buddy, who is a seasoned guitar player, was suitably impressed when I blasted out the first part of Master of Puppets, particularly as I'm ditching tabs in favour of playing by ear. Without looking I'm not entirely sure what key Metallica play in, but I'm tuned to E flat. Either way it sounds awesome. I was very pleased with myself.

Any advice you might have would be most welcome.

Edited by PickledShogun at 23:04:41 01-06-2021
  • elstoof 8 Jun 2021 18:00:01 27,430 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bass neck arrived, beautiful bit of wood. No finish required on wenge or ebony so itís silky smooth, I might rub some super fine paper on the back to see how far itíll go

• quadfather 9 Jun 2021 09:38:23 38,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks ace! Can't wait to see the finished article!
  • wuntyate 9 Jun 2021 13:15:26 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is bloody lovely. The colour is immense. I too would love to see it when done... and then have you make me one.
  • elstoof 9 Jun 2021 13:27:18 27,430 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The body just arrived as well

Think Iím just going to run it through some fine grades of sandpaper and tung oil it. The oil should darken the body quite a bit. I chucked some of the bits on in the meantime

• monkman76 9 Jun 2021 13:33:24 18,725 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fuck that does look really good. For some reason I like the natural wood look more on basses than guitars. Really like the black tuners too.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.