Any musicians here?! Page 10

• JiveHound 28 Apr 2017 20:20:01 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sweet, first time on a strummer?
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Apr 2017 20:22:39 21,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JiveHound well you are already ahead of me in that you can write a song that is coherent and good. The rest of the stuff will come but that hump is a hard one to get over. I even have things to write about but I have written the sum total of one coherent song in about fifteen years of playing guitar.
  • JiveHound 28 Apr 2017 20:25:36 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm fascinated by the ability to play well, write music but not songs.

I went to college with a protege. It was clear he was special. The local news came round to do a piece on him winning best young drummer of the year so he was the shut basically.

Added to that he was a grade 8 pianist and could basically get music out of a shoe.

Couldn't write a song to save his life.

Absolutely baffling.
  • JiveHound 28 Apr 2017 20:26:25 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And thanks mate, incisive critique with compliments is always going to be the best kind of feedback.
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Apr 2017 20:38:31 21,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    For me it is largely because I have a very strong internal critic where words are concerned. Almost everything I have ever written just rubs up against that critic in the wrong way. I understand, in an amateur way, the fundamentals of song writing, appropriate chord progressions, melody, harmony and all that jazz but the actual words just wont come.

I have read Will Hodgkinson's books, Guitar Man and Song Man, as well as other books to get the juices flowing but it never happens in the way my critic wants. I think I will try writing nonsense lyrics at some point to train my brain in the right direction.
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Apr 2017 20:40:22 21,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    And thanks mate, incisive critique with compliments is always going to be the best kind of feedback.
    I agree :) it is my intention to start teaching at some point as I do enjoy it.
  • JiveHound 28 Apr 2017 21:15:01 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I can see that. It's nice to get a clear picture on what I need to focus on, people don't usually like to give or receive criticism.

I'm at the stage where I'll happily take it, I now realise why bands have long Thank You bits in their albums.
  • Deleted user 28 April 2017 22:42:33
    JiveHound wrote:
    I'm fascinated by the ability to play well, write music but not songs.

I went to college with a protege. It was clear he was special. The local news came round to do a piece on him winning best young drummer of the year so he was the shut basically.

Added to that he was a grade 8 pianist and could basically get music out of a shoe.

Couldn't write a song to save his life.

Absolutely baffling.
    It's odd, isn't it. The first few bands I was in I wrote prodigiously - because we weren't good enough to play covers. Subsequently I worked with others who had technical proficiency which made me ashamed to share a stage with them, yet really struggled to write something original for anyone not playing their instrument
  • BTBAM 29 Apr 2017 11:50:12 1,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We should upload some of our songs and ask for people, someone did that in the last page and it wasn't taken but I'd love to post some of my stuff and ask for a singer if possible. Though I can also imagine this sinking to the bottom of the forum... Anyone possibly up for that? We can send logic files or mp3s or anything like that.

For example, if anyone fancies singing or doing anything on this...

https://youtu.be/rHGDd42B36g

I'd love to hear it!
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Apr 2017 16:10:22 21,772 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @BTBAM is that your own track?
  • BTBAM 29 Apr 2017 22:15:52 1,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Yes!
  • boo 29 Apr 2017 22:45:11 13,449 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JiveHound

I've dabbled with the bass for years, and never progressed much beyond a half respectable 12 bar blues groove and 'Bitch' by Meredith Brooks, which is a shame, 'cos I love the sound of a bass, and despite drummers being the most awesome member of any band, bass players are usually the coolest.

Have tried the guitar on a number of occasions, but have resigned myself to the fact that it's never going to happen.

But seem to be making a bit of progress with the Uke. It helps that half the chords I've learnt so far don't need more than two fingers!
  • JiveHound 29 Apr 2017 23:16:39 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @BTBAM That is flicking a lot of my switches. Awesome stuff!

@PES There are of course those that are technically amazing and write amazing shit. The thankfully I don't tend to rub shoulder with them otherwise I would have just jacked it all in.
  • BTBAM 2 May 2017 18:12:15 1,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    @BTBAM That is flicking a lot of my switches. Awesome stuff!

@PES There are of course those that are technically amazing and write amazing shit. The thankfully I don't tend to rub shoulder with them otherwise I would have just jacked it all in.
    Thanks man, if you want to hear anymore there's more on the channel I posted that last video one (can always do with more subscribers to that channel too!) or I can send you some other links, it's all free.
  • JiveHound 2 May 2017 19:19:54 9,559 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you have a SoundCloud? I would follow and repost that to my little posse.
  • Rufus 10 May 2017 12:07:05 1,838 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I keep meaning to update my YT channel with more video game covers (I used to update it quite a lot a few years back, it did ok) but SO many people do it (and better) these days that I just can't find the mental energy to try and record more. Woe is me etc.

I think I need to just try and record some small, original tracks to get back into the swing of things!
  • Zomoniac 10 May 2017 12:36:44 9,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would question if they do it better. Your Ice Cap Zone arrangement is still the best version I've ever heard (I include the original in that), and I've listened to a lot of takes on it. Your Sonic playlist still gets a regular play through from me.
  • dwalker109 10 May 2017 13:10:26 86 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BTBAM wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Yes!
    That's excellent, nice one :D

I am another bedroom producer, have some stuff at https://dapples.bandcamp.com/releases

Next one I really need to flesh out into "songs".
  • Zomoniac 14 Feb 2018 10:20:30 9,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Merry Valentine's Day! My band 's first album is out today to celebrate all the love. It's quite exciting. Here's a video of the second single we made to mark the occasion, where you can see me hit things.

Here's the first single we put out a couple of months ago.

Hopefully you like it! It's no Stefansen mind you.
  • AaronTurner 20 Feb 2018 21:25:34 9,826 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's good stuff.

Classic Yorkshire amplifier, I used to have one myself :)
  • Zomoniac 21 Feb 2018 16:40:41 9,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @AaronTurner thanks!

Well, we are a classic Yorkshire band :)
  • Humperfunk 21 Feb 2018 17:23:19 7,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Zomoniac top stuff mate! Are you on Spotify? I had a search but couldn't find you...
  • monkman76 21 Feb 2018 19:37:26 12,852 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
  • Zomoniac 21 Feb 2018 20:16:10 9,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Humperfunk thanks! Not yet, we thought wed give it a week or two to try sell a few. I triggered the streaming submissions today so it should appear on Spotify/Apple Music some time next werk. Ill give the thread a bump when its there.
  • Zomoniac 28 Feb 2018 07:25:09 9,698 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The album has now appeared on Spotify!

Linky.
  • quadfather 4 Mar 2018 18:00:50 31,752 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need some advice if possible.

So I've bought a synth recently and loving it.

What I want to do next is hook everything up so I can combine stuff.

So I have a synth, that has trs outputs to powered keyboard amplifiers.

A laptop with some music software plus USB midi leads

An MPC that has midi out

What I want to do is get everything together so it's all working at the same time through the same speakers (if possible)

I've read up and it seems I need an audio interface that the instruments and devices plug into and the output from that goes to the powered speakers.

Or a mixer.

Thing is, all the audio interfaces I've seen either have trs sockets or xlr.

Trs covers the synth but obviously doesn't cover the laptop which I just have a midi USB lead. The mpc might be covered by trs as well but I need to check.

If you had a laptop, and a synth and some powered keyboard speakers, what would you do to hook it all up together?
  • LittleSparra 4 Mar 2018 20:17:38 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    The album has now appeared on Spotify!

Linky.
    Added to my current rotation, ta!
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 06:42:36 76 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

I just seen your recent posts as I haven't been signed in for a while.

Glad you're happy with the deep mind, I thought it would be the best fit for what you described :)

You're going to need a sound card to connect to your computer.

Something like this if you only intend to connect the Deepmind as it has 2 inputs

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface-2nd/613647-01/

Or maybe this if you intend to add another instrument, for example a small mono synth for bass later down the line:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-6i6-usb-audio-interface-2nd/613651-01/

I use the one below, it gives plenty of options for inputs, plus good sound quality for the price point:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-18i8-usb-audio-interface-with/613652-01/

To attach to the Computer you connect the sound card to your computer via USB.

The Deepmind is attached to the soundcard and the soundcard outputs to your speakers.

You can then configure the soundcard software (this is pretty straight forward) so that when you turn on the soundcard you do not need the computer also switched on to use it and can just play away.

When you want to use both together you will need software,

Something like this:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/ableton-live-10-intro-edition-full-boxed/674883-01/

Ableton is pretty popular as it one of the most user friendly pieces of music software.
    The Live intro will give you a large selection of sounds to use, how-ever its more fun making your own. With the Deepmind you'll be able to create drums, bass, leads, pads, anything you want.

I use Logic X, it has a steeper learning curve than Ableton, but I learnt it by watching a few youtube tutorials then just getting on with making songs.

Theres a load of Ableton tutorial on youtube also but you can put a few clips together really fast in it and have a song going in no time.

If you ever consider a small Mono synth for bass, this one is worth a look:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/analogue-solutions-treadstone-synthblock-analogue-synthesizer/673429-01/

It's just new out, no memory so you create your own sounds from scratch, but it's really easy to do and will help you learn subtractive synthsis. And most important its analog and an ideal partner for the deepmind as it has that nice vintage analog warmth.

I used it to make all the synth sounds apart from the helicopter sample in this song:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2WfT9DCCHr4[/youtube]

I went for a raw sound to give an early 80's gaming feel :)

Anyway I've babbled on for ages, hope this help :)

Edited by Minimoog at 06:44:37 05-03-2018

Edited by Minimoog at 06:45:14 05-03-2018

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.