Any musicians here?! Page 11

• Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 06:53:04 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Could'nt work out how to embed youtube :) then kept getting an error when editing my post.

Here's the direct youtube link:

https://youtu.be/2WfT9DCCHr4
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 09:27:48 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Superb, thanks!

And yes, loving the Deepmind :)

Thing is though - those audio interfaces you've linked - they have xlr inputs on them. How, exactly, do I wire up the deepmind, for example to that? Can you get a lead that is trs one end and xlr on the other?

As for software, on my main PC I have Acid pro 4.0, so I could install that on the laptop, or I have mixcraft, which I could use as well. I did have a go previously on Ableton, but I didn't end up sticking with it - I might fire it up again and have another go.

When you say create anything like drums on the deepmind - how does this actually work? I'm still to get my head around the arpeggiator, but as far as I can tell, I don't seem to be able to have one sound looping continously (like a drum beat for example, once made), and then change the instrument so I'm playing something else - how does that work?
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 09:30:41 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah, I see with a quick google you can get XLR to TRS leads, so that's one thing done
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 09:33:40 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Another quick thing - do I have to buy some monitor speakers, or can I use the powered amp/speaker that I've got for the deepmind? I ended up buying two, as the deepmind has L/R on the outputs, so I've stuck a speaker on each channel. Do the audio interfaces connect via TRS leads to standard keyboard amps ok?
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 09:40:01 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

it takes both trs and xlr, if you look at the picture you will see the sort of horse shoe shape on the outer part of the input, thats where the xlr goes.

To get the drums and bass leads etc going at the same time you'll need to use the software, record a bassline and structure it into a tune , design drums and record them, easiest done if you use midi and put the drum pattern into the software and record a few bars of sound then loop it, then you can play in the other parts, strings, pads leads etc.

If you don't get on with Ableton, Bitwig is gaining in popularity and is also pretty easy to use and well laid out.
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 09:40:44 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

Yep same leads

You can use the keyboard speakers. Monitors are best if you plan to make songs, they don't colour the sound in any way so give you the best representation of the sound you have created when it comes to mixing.

Edited by Minimoog at 09:42:23 05-03-2018
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 09:59:55 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Right, cheers

Now I'm thinking should I just use trs leads, or get some of those XLR ones? Is there much difference?

I need to make a shopping list!

Yeah, I might actually have some monitors somewhere, but at the moment, I just want to get everything up and running tbh. Quality and all that shit can come later :)
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 10:01:01 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Ah I see what you mean about the drums. I'm probably best putting some stuff through the laptop on software and then piss about with the synth separately.

I definitely feel like I've opened pandora's box by getting this synth - I'm getting obsessed with getting everything now!
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 10:03:45 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Also, just to be clear - how exactly do you layer sounds on the deepmind? I.e., say I work out the arpeggiator and have some brass going for example. How do I then jam along to that using a different sound/patch?
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 10:27:28 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And, (hopefully finally :) ), forgive the ridiculous diagram, but is this generally what I need to do?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w7FBO4JZ3UxnPVeB3
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 12:11:31 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

I understand your diagram :) That's exactly what you will achieve. Xlr leads are pretty common for microphones etc. I use TRS for my synth inputs and have a trs to xlr going to a sub woofer and then xlr to trs to my monitors for my output, but it makes little to no difference using either. Peoples opinion can vary on this but it's worked for me so I stuck with it. You'd be fine using trs all round, or trs from your synth and trs to xlr to your monitors and in the unlikely event you get any unwanted pops clicks or feedback look to changing the leads.

The leads can be confusing and lead to lots of debate but even trs all round should be fine.

As far as I know the Deepmind does not have multi-timbral functionality where you split the keyboard so you need to think along the lines of recording into the computer in parts, eg bass, percussion, arp, pads then lead.

I have a couple of multitimbral synths that have that feature but never use it, all you would be doing is stealing voices and making the sound thinner when you do that

It can get addictive, I started out with a single monosynth and then ended up with that many I'd no room to have them all out at the same time. Then i discovered my niche and sold off a load of stuff and now lean more towards synths based on the analog circuitry form the 70's and early 80's.

Behringer are releasing a copy of the Minimoog monosynth soon at a really cheap 299,
    not that I'm encouraging you to spend more, but you could get mean bass from that to jam along to :)

https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Behringer-Model-D-Analog-Synthesizer-Module/28TD?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=104737d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=397018664068&gclid=CjwKCAiA8vPUBRAyEiwA8F1oDEvOp5GUuC7dV6f4vIotn97yl4pRsTrP9s6NmbBm3HJmghXl--IOShoCIGQQAvD_BwE

That's probably something you can think over later. For now if you get a sound card and another set of cables you should be good to go with the computer.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 12:41:17 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Right, I'm with you now regarding the cables. I'll have a shop around and fill in the missing bits on my amazing diagram.

Also cheers about the multi timbral aspect - I get that now - I'll just use a DAW instead for everything else. Except I've just realised my sodding laptop doesn't have a DVD drive so I need to work out how to reinstall my sequencer software onto it.

I'm already addicted! At the moment, I'm still having pure joy just going through all the sound banks and tweaking here and there - it is *definitely* what I was after, and it'll be loads better once I get everything up and running.

I might get a 4 port audio interface, as I just know I'm going to end up with more hardware soon.

Like that fucking Behringer minimoog you just posted haha :)
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 12:41:36 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need a larger house ffs.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Mar 2018 12:50:22 7,779 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quad Michele Jarre.
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 12:59:47 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

Ha ha, minimoogs are awesome:

All the bass in this song is minimoog, to get the full effect it's best listened to on proper speakers or headphones.

My attempt at being Giorgio Moroder :)

https://soundcloud.com/user-314656760/what-a-feeling
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 13:06:47 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Quad Michele Jarre.
    Living the dream! :)
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 13:07:26 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

I'll have to have a listen when I'm out of work.

Currently, I'm busy working in the office, looking at interesting devices to improve my collection :)
  • Minimoog 5 Mar 2018 13:23:57 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

Ha Ha, I work from home and haven't done a thing today, I've a huge backlog of work. So much so that if I worked elsewhere I'd be handed my P45, lucky my wife has a better work ethic and helps carry me :)
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 13:57:22 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need a desk. A bloody large one.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 15:33:36 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Do I need a multi-channel audio interface?

I'm just thinking that if I have multiple devices connected including a laptop with some sequencer software, I'll want each device to have it's own track so I can manipulate them if I wanted to import the songs into the sequencer and manually edit each one.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 15:38:29 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And (finally, part 2), do I need to get an audio interface that has both left and right for *one* of the inputs - I've seen some that have just 1 TRS socket available for a device, whereas the Deepmind obviously has 2 leads coming out of it?
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 16:20:15 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gah, I've got myself all confused about TRS and XLR now.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2018 16:22:17 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Right, this one you mentioned - https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-18i8-usb-audio-interface-with/613652-01/

The leads from my Deepmind go where, into the 5 and 6 inputs on the back of it?

Edited by quadfather at 16:22:30 05-03-2018
  • Minimoog 6 Mar 2018 07:12:39 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Quadfather

For the deepmind you'll need an audio interface with 2 inputs. It is best to have a couple more spare that way you can sync everything up and play it at once if you get more gear.

So yeah an interface with more inputs is better for future expansion.

In the one you linked to your deepmind can go into any of the 8 inputs shown front and back. The front ones are confusing looking as they take a mic or xlr lead or trs lead.

With your audio interface and the appropriate software you'll be able to record on your computer, control your synth via midi, or sync the computer to the deepmind so as you increase the deepmind tempo the bass or drums or what-ever on the computer will increase in tempo in time with the deepmind.

Or you could run a midi sequence from the pc into the deepmind, press record and mess about with the filter, lfo, resonance etc record nice evolving sounds.

What i'm trying to say is you'll be a one man band and fucking rock!!!! :D

Hope that helps :)

Oh and if you buy off Juno don't forget to click the ask for a better price link as they always give discount.

Edited by Minimoog at 07:24:19 06-03-2018
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Mar 2018 07:53:15 21,772 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good tip! I tend to order form guitarguitar or gak but I will bear juno in mind. I have bought records from Juno but it never occurred to me to buy gear.

I have read about that focusrite audio interface and have been considering a purchase. I have finally invested in some studio monitors but they have some kind of low level noise and I have tracked it to my old mbox. So, it is time for a splurge but I just splurged on the maschine mini mk2. This year is audio splurge year, it seems.
  • quadfather 6 Mar 2018 08:59:47 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Minimoog wrote:
    @Quadfather

For the deepmind you'll need an audio interface with 2 inputs. It is best to have a couple more spare that way you can sync everything up and play it at once if you get more gear.

So yeah an interface with more inputs is better for future expansion.

In the one you linked to your deepmind can go into any of the 8 inputs shown front and back. The front ones are confusing looking as they take a mic or xlr lead or trs lead.

With your audio interface and the appropriate software you'll be able to record on your computer, control your synth via midi, or sync the computer to the deepmind so as you increase the deepmind tempo the bass or drums or what-ever on the computer will increase in tempo in time with the deepmind.

Or you could run a midi sequence from the pc into the deepmind, press record and mess about with the filter, lfo, resonance etc record nice evolving sounds.

What i'm trying to say is you'll be a one man band and fucking rock!!!! :D

Hope that helps :)

Oh and if you buy off Juno don't forget to click the ask for a better price link as they always give discount.
    Ahhhhh, that's the bit I was trying to get my head around yesterday - I didn't know if those XLR could take the TRS/TS leads - thanks for that.

Yeah, I need to get one with a few inputs - I've got the deepmind (trs), Computer (USB), but then I have an MPC I might hook up (midi?), and I just know I'll probably get another synth at some point, so I might as well futureproof myself for a bit at least.

That's interesting what you say about syncing the laptop to the deepmind - is that a complicated process? I'm normally working the other way round, if you like, with an external midi keyboard connected and control everything from the DAW instead.

Cheers for the never ending information :)
  • quadfather 6 Mar 2018 09:00:47 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    This year is audio splurge year, it seems.
    I heard that :)
  • Minimoog 6 Mar 2018 09:48:00 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

it's pretty striaght forward, set the daw to receive midi clock and the deepmind to be the master clock in the midi settings
  • quadfather 6 Mar 2018 10:08:23 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Cool, I'll have to remember that.

I'm out of work the next few days on a bloody work thing so it'll all have to wait until Thursday boo.

Though I could do some shopping in the meantime :)
  • quadfather 6 Mar 2018 13:04:05 31,754 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok I'm nearly set! One tiny tiny final question of course though -

I'm assuming if I get an audio interface, I can use the behringer powered keyboard amps for the speaker out connections (one for left one for right) or do I have to use monitor speakers?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.