Any musicians here?! Page 12

• Mr_Sleep 6 Mar 2018 13:39:13 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It should be fine. At worst you may need some kind of convertor. The only issue may be interference on the channel but an amp is never quiet like monitors. Although that might not matter to you.
  • quadfather 6 Mar 2018 13:59:38 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Cheers.

Well I'll try it first and see what it's like and take it from there i guess
  • quadfather 8 Mar 2018 19:34:43 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, I think I'm set on a 4 way audio interface and the long term plan is to have the main synth, another synth (which one is tbc, but might be a behringer model d), the laptop and I'm thinking of a drum machine.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a drum machine?
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Mar 2018 21:07:49 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Get an 808, obvs.

You might be best getting a trigger pad like the novation ones and use the bundled Ableton as it will be more versatile in the future as you can add textures and drum loops and bass lines and whatever else you want.
  • quadfather 8 Mar 2018 22:43:46 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Hmm that's not a bad idea. I'd forgotten what options I have when I get laptop in the mix.

I might just get an audio interface for now and see what I can create :)
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Mar 2018 23:00:47 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good plan. As you wont be performing live a trigger pad is not essential but they are a little more tactile than just a mouse and keyboard even with the limited juno ds options it still made for some ace options.
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2018 11:06:38 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fs, can't install my music software on the laptop coz I have it installed on the pc. Hope it releases the serial when I uninstall it :-/
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2018 15:31:47 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Minimoog wrote:
    @quadfather

I just seen your recent posts as I haven't been signed in for a while.

Glad you're happy with the deep mind, I thought it would be the best fit for what you described :)

You're going to need a sound card to connect to your computer.

Something like this if you only intend to connect the Deepmind as it has 2 inputs

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-usb-audio-interface-2nd/613647-01/

Or maybe this if you intend to add another instrument, for example a small mono synth for bass later down the line:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-6i6-usb-audio-interface-2nd/613651-01/

I use the one below, it gives plenty of options for inputs, plus good sound quality for the price point:

https://www.juno.co.uk/products/focusrite-scarlett-18i8-usb-audio-interface-with/613652-01/

Just got the 18i8 one from Juno to ensure I've got enough going forward. Cheers for the info - I'll set it up at the weekend and see how it goes.

/tries to think if he's forgotten anything else...
  • quadfather 10 Mar 2018 14:31:22 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fucking whoa!!!!

So I got the 18i8 interface delivered today. Set it up with the deepmind and my laptop now I've got my software sorted and hooked it all up.

Fuck. Me.

What a dramatic improvement! My mind is totally boggled with the options now!

And I didn't realise that *all* laptop sound comes through too, not just the music software but anything at all - YouTube for example.

I've just had a drumbeat going with some nice bass and then put on the Nazi zombie trilogy ost alongside it, and then jammed to it with the deepmind.

My tiny little mind is completely blown..

I am never leaving the house again :)
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Mar 2018 16:43:30 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aye, all sound will come through, I think since windows 7 you can have outboard as your sound card. Didn't used to be the case with many.

Next you will be making software synths using reaktor and max msp. You may also lose your job and partner but the moment you manage to synthesise a nice sounding snare with properly adjusted white noise and a kick drum with a sine wave it will be worth it.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 09:20:35 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Yeah, the last time I did anything like this was just with a midi controller keyboard and that was all that came out, it's a great bonus that everything comes out.

Haha yes I can see me playing about for days at a time.

Software synth - good idea!
  • mothercruncher 11 Mar 2018 09:38:40 14,965 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My daughter’s getting interested in me playing the guitar etc and expressed an interest in drumming. Birthday coming up in month so other half has been searching for a kids starter set.
    She said she’d found one second hand and we went to pick it up yesterday... the lady rolled up the garage door to reveal a fucking MONSTER sized set taking about a third of her garage up. It was a proper Father Ted cows small/far away moment- it looked like a kids set in the pictures and other half “forgot” to check.

I feel like we’ve bought this:

She’s six.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 09:48:40 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mothercruncher

Haha excellent! I take it you got it then?
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2018 10:44:24 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    As I say, check out native instruments suite of programs, there are a variety of options available for software synths. If you really want to go deep then reaktor is a good place, it is loads of fun too. You start with nothing and then put modules together and you can go down into the modules to alter them in a variety of ways.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2018 10:46:41 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @mothercruncher that is great 😃 good that she is getting into making music early.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 10:50:18 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    As I say, check out native instruments suite of programs, there are a variety of options available for software synths. If you really want to go deep then reaktor is a good place, it is loads of fun too. You start with nothing and then put modules together and you can go down into the modules to alter them in a variety of ways.
    Cool, I'll have a look at that. I had a cd somewhere years ago that I backed up onto Google drive - I'm sure I had a fuck ton of apps a while ago. I'll have a shufty.
  • mothercruncher 11 Mar 2018 11:33:37 14,965 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @quadfather
    Probably should have walked away but t’other half had agreed to it on Facebook already and they’d put other people off, didn’t feel fair.
    Anyway, if anyone wants a full set of drums in two months I’m your man.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 11:34:23 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mothercruncher

Haha I might take you up on that :)
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2018 12:03:02 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @mothercruncher you should consider getting hot rods and brushes rather than sticks as they are a bit quieter. Also where drums are concerned there are loads of youtube videos. One key thing to learn is that he kick naturally follows from the rhythm of the hands, the way I thought drums worked was leg first for rhythm but that is wrong.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 12:08:33 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Found my music app archive online. Jesus, that's far too old! Time to look for some decent software. Is Reason and Rebirth still any good? I see reason is 350 euros! I thought it was free, lol
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2018 15:55:25 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Have a look at Reaper, it is decent for recording while being quite cheap. It doesn't really come with many synthesizers but I would mix and match some better VSTs. If you get Reaktor or the like then you wont need any as you can make your own. I guess it does depend on how familiar you are wih the fundamentals of synthesis but I can always send you some pdfs if you need them.
  • FuzzyDucky 11 Mar 2018 16:03:45 3,219 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    My daughter’s getting interested in me playing the guitar etc and expressed an interest in drumming. Birthday coming up in month so other half has been searching for a kids starter set.
    She said she’d found one second hand and we went to pick it up yesterday... the lady rolled up the garage door to reveal a fucking MONSTER sized set taking about a third of her garage up. It was a proper Father Ted cows small/far away moment- it looked like a kids set in the pictures and other half “forgot” to check.

I feel like we’ve bought this:

She’s six.
    "Emerson, Lake and Mothercruncher Jr." has a great ring to it in fairness.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 16:04:10 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Cheers. I think I'm getting there. Managed to whip up a stranger things cover utilising a midi controller keyboard first and then sped it up in the daw and then jammed on the deepmind.

Tried a few vsti's earlier with mixed results.

I still really need to know how to layer sounds and get the arpegiator working and what to set going on the daw and what to use the other stuff for, but it's a nice problem to have.

Currently trying to replicate john carpenter's lo pan theme from big trouble in little China :)
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 16:04:49 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Have a look at Reaper, it is decent for recording while being quite cheap. It doesn't really come with many synthesizers but I would mix and match some better VSTs. If you get Reaktor or the like then you wont need any as you can make your own. I guess it does depend on how familiar you are wih the fundamentals of synthesis but I can always send you some pdfs if you need them.
    Actually I wouldn't mind some pdfs if you have them. Every little helps.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Mar 2018 16:58:22 21,772 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather pm me your email or summink where I can upload and I will try and do it at some point this week. My computer is currently under a dust sheet and layers of dust.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2018 17:01:38 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Nice one, will do
  • Minimoog 12 Mar 2018 12:16:12 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @quadfather

Good stuff, it makes a big difference when everything is connected up and you can run a few effects as well, so much potential :)
  • Minimoog 12 Mar 2018 12:17:36 76 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Bought another synth at the weekend, a vintage sounding Nyborg 24, great for creating bass and percussion.

This is my first song with it, strings are played on the Dsi Rev 2:

A bit of Soft Cell, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye. Lots of vintage analog goodness :)

Edited by Minimoog at 12:24:42 12-03-2018
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2018 12:41:58 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Minimoog wrote:
    @quadfather

Good stuff, it makes a big difference when everything is connected up and you can run a few effects as well, so much potential :)
    Yup, it's day 5 and I'm still on it right now :)

Trying to remember how to use ableton, and I *still* haven't sorted out the arp/seq stuff yet!

I am currently trying to do this -

But it's a bit ethereal / arty farty and hard to get solidly with all the tinkly bits in the background :)
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2018 12:42:28 31,754 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Minimoog wrote:
    Bought another synth at the weekend, a vintage sounding Nyborg 24, great for creating bass and percussion.

This is my first song with it, strings are played on the Dsi Rev 2:

A bit of Soft Cell, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye. Lots of vintage analog goodness :)

Heh that's great :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.