Any musicians here?! Page 18

• quadfather 17 May 2018 16:09:28 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

This is the *LAST* purchase. That's IT now.

Definitely.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 May 2018 16:51:37 22,046 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Uh huh 😋
  • quadfather 17 May 2018 17:39:27 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not saying that's the last purchase ever, just the last purchase for now (and when my credit card can finally breathe again :) )
  • wuntyphyve 17 May 2018 17:46:51 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    @wuntyphyve

So I picked up an envelope filter pedal and a looper pedal to try out.

And you know that markbass amp I was on about?

Yeah...

:)
    Ha ha brilliant. Why the hell not!!! Funnily enough our guitarist just used that gear4music site for a Laney Ironheart. I have new amp envy.
  • quadfather 17 May 2018 18:46:56 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

It's a cracking site - they have all the normal stuff as you'd expect but they also have a shit load of stuff that's reduced.

I can't help myself.

Cannot wait to hear that markbass amp. It's, er, a tad overpowered for what I need but you never know - I could be gigging soon and can't use a 25watt amp for that. Plus it's effectively a cab and a head combined.
  • quadfather 22 May 2018 20:10:43 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone here play the trombone?
  • wuntyphyve 22 May 2018 23:25:00 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I play the trumpet if that helps 😛
  • quadfather 23 May 2018 07:39:43 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

That's cool!

I got an entry level trombone the other day. Had my first ever go on it last night watching a tutorial vid.

Managed to get some notes out, but how the hell do you keep the same note going without it wavering in pitch because of irregular air flow??
  • wuntyphyve 23 May 2018 08:37:53 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If I'm picking you up correctly then it's about lip muscles man. Practice just with the mouth piece for about 5 mins before every playing session. Takes a while to build up and you'll be bruising your lips quite a bit early on. The tighter you purse your lips the higher the pitch so as your lips are weak and not used to it they will be wavering quite a bit.
  • wuntyphyve 23 May 2018 08:39:42 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I say practice with the mouth piece, try doing what is essentially a smooth slide up from the loosest lipped note to the tightest and back down again. Also try lots of sharp bursts at looser (lower) pitches up to higher (tighter) pitches. Like "ta ta ta ta ta" - quavers - type length.

Early on it's more mouthpiece practice and lip training than what you can do on the instrument itself.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 08:40:25 23-05-2018
  • quadfather 23 May 2018 08:50:43 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

That's ace, thanks man.

It felt weird. The guy on the tutorial played a note, and when I played it, I was either too high or too low, so I changed the amount of air going through till it harmonised with the note he was playing. Was taking a lot of power, if you like, to get it to work, but this is day 1, exercise 1. I was quite pleased with getting a note tbh, thought it would just be farting/raspberry sound.

I think I see what you mean about higher pitch/tighter along with the quavers

It's a truly fucking bonkers instrument though. Love it.
  • wuntyphyve 23 May 2018 16:40:50 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Brass instruments are great and can convey so much emotion. Early days though it is just a weird combination of different pitched flatulence noises :D

Definitely just take the mouthpiece out and practice on that a fair bit early on though as controlling your lips and learning to sustain that for higher pitches is key. Also your breathing (which I know is obvious) and posture mean how much air you can expel and how controlled that expelling of air is. It's a similar technique for singers in terms of bringing the air up from your gut (not literally of course, mentally) and not just your lungs.
  • wuntyphyve 23 May 2018 16:43:24 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't played my trumpet regularly since my teens but it's there in my living room and I do give it a polish and a blow every once in a while. (the inneundo just writes itself with brass instruments to be honest)

Edited by wuntyphyve at 16:43:53 23-05-2018
  • Rhaegyr 23 May 2018 16:49:23 4,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hah, you guys make me want to get the Euphonium out of the attic.
  • quadfather 23 May 2018 18:01:52 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Brass instruments are great and can convey so much emotion. Early days though it is just a weird combination of different pitched flatulence noises :D

Definitely just take the mouthpiece out and practice on that a fair bit early on though as controlling your lips and learning to sustain that for higher pitches is key. Also your breathing (which I know is obvious) and posture mean how much air you can expel and how controlled that expelling of air is. It's a similar technique for singers in terms of bringing the air up from your gut (not literally of course, mentally) and not just your lungs.
    Haha

When you practice with the mouthpiece (oo-er) not in the main body (oo-er), how do you know if you're blowing it right? (Not necessary)I mean, you won't hear anything to tell it's right or wrong will you? Or will you?
  • quadfather 23 May 2018 18:04:18 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I haven't played my trumpet regularly since my teens but it's there in my living room and I do give it a polish and a blow every once in a while. (the inneundo just writes itself with brass instruments to be honest)
    Hahaha
  • quadfather 23 May 2018 18:04:36 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Ooo get you :)
  • wuntyphyve 24 May 2018 10:26:49 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I used to sit next to a girl I quite liked in the school wind band that played euphonium. Furtive glances were had across the french horns. In the end I just sat and blew my trumpet.

Nice sounding instrument, euphonium. Little baby tuba.
  • wuntyphyve 24 May 2018 10:28:35 11,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather you will still hear through the mouth piece. You'll just sound like an asphyxiating duck, but you can pitch it just as you would playing it through the whole instrument. Practice those wavey pitch sounds (asphyxiating duck on a merry-go-round) and see how you get on.
  • quadfather 24 May 2018 12:22:19 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Nice one chief - I'll have to start carrying it around with me. Because it'll look completely normal doing that.
  • quadfather 2 Jun 2018 14:27:16 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Minimoog

Like it. It's got a nice nostalgic 8bit feel to it in places too :)

Synths still going strong, but I've fallen in love with the bass guitar again!

I need more arms.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2018 14:54:05 13,405 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather

Any idea yet what next week's last purchase will be?
  • quadfather 2 Jun 2018 15:06:56 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Minimoog wrote:
    @quadfather

You can never have enough instruments, the more the better :)
    Glad you said that, as, er, the collection has got slightly larger. CoughTromboneHarpDjembeTablasFullDrumKitElectronicDrumPadsCough
  • quadfather 2 Jun 2018 15:12:01 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    @quadfather

Any idea yet what next week's last purchase will be?
    :D

Not sure yet. I mean, obviously I'm not buying anything ever again, but you know, flutes and double basses are nice. Nearly as nice as saxophones I guess.
  • quadfather 2 Jun 2018 17:04:10 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What a strange day. It's been off kilter from hour 1. Then I go to the pub and met a guy who works with cars that I know. Chatting away talking bollocks as normal and then suddenly, after a brief chat with someone else about music, this mechanic guy mentions he's classically trained and plays the trombone and euphonium! Amazing! So we go back to mine, have a pint and I'm on bass with some backing drums and he's on my trombone (keep it clean guys). Fucking amazing!
  • thelzdking 4 Jul 2018 20:13:04 8,826 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just had to sell my Blackstar head and cab. Very sad.
  • quadfather 4 Jul 2018 20:52:35 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @thelzdking

Sad :(

Because of the move?
  • thelzdking 5 Jul 2018 19:49:57 8,826 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @quadfather

Yep. I've been enjoying clearing everything out, but that I really didn't want to sell. It was just too expensive to ship that far, works out to be less economical than buying a new one.

The space where it was looks very empty, and my 10 watt practice amp just doesn't fill the gap.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.