Any musicians here?! Page 19

• quadfather 24 Aug 2018 09:13:38 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone play the double bass here?

I've taken the plunge and got one.

Fuck me, they're pretty large aren't they? Had fun getting it in my car, and even in the house.

I find it a bit strange that the bridge is held on by pure tension alone though - I assume that's normal?

What I didn't realise is not only is it so much of a cleaner sound with no frets (sliding is just fucking awesome now), but using the bow on it is fucking tremendous fun! Christ almighty, playing a little austere run makes it sound like you're in the middle of a horror film. Utterly amazing!

It's going to take a hell of a lot of practice though - the strings are quite a way away from the neck.

Love to hear from someone else who has/plays one too.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 10:11:20 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Fucking brilliant man. I've always loved to try a double bass. Lets see a pic of it!
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 10:15:01 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Honestly mate - you've got to at least have a go on one - so fucking cool. I certainly did not expect using a bow could produce some amazing sounds.

In the case before setting it up -

Next to my ibanez electric bass for size comparison! -

I'm going to spend all bank holiday weekend sorting the music room out. And I think I need to get a stand for it - I thought my electric bass stand would do it, but I reckon it's too small
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 10:40:33 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That looks awesome. Aye it's pretty big alright! Having no frets scares me too much ha ha. Yeah I would get a proper stand, last thing you need is for it to take a fall! I always fancied playing one and plucking it like a proper blues double bass player. Still might one day!
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 11:05:08 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered a stand for tomorrow - gives me more impetus to get the rooms sorted out too.

I was concerned about no frets, but it didn't take me long to get used to playing a few scales - seems fine. Obviously playing everything by ear at the moment on it's own, and then I'll try jamming to music + mates and see how it goes. It's certainly not as scary as I thought as you can just locate the notes pretty quickly. I think you just need to try first to get your head around it. I mean, how often do you look at what loop you're playing on a fretted bass? When I'm jamming to quantic or something, once I've got it licked, I just keep going and rarely look tbh.

Be brave Wunty!
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 11:47:15 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Ha yeah but I'm not the type of person that knows scales or eh, anything else really. I DID buy a book on bass technique last week though and dammit I'm going to get through it. After 18 years I think I actually know the names of some of the notes. So...yeah. Progress. I just get distracted by jamming out my own shit when I'm meant to be learning. Band is always working on new stuff too so I always just go by ear.

Actually, yeah, I probably don't need the frets then. Good point.

Gig tonight though, should be a good 'un.

Also, I've finally started using ear plugs. Why didn't I do this years ago!!!!
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 11:58:50 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

I can vouch for this site. I've been through every exercise and I've notably improved, and I've also managed to avoid picking up bad playing habits and recognise where Ive been going wrong in the past. It has exercises, videos, and information all for free. It's fucking brilliant. Well worth a look.

Yeah, I'm sort of 50% knowledge and 50% by ear. I find it's about right - I use my ear to 'tune in' to the right stuff, and then use the knowledge (it's fairly basic) to then work out where I can go from there - this is structured stuff though - like blues, funk, etc. If I'm jamming to something random, or random people, then I just make shit up that sounds alright :)

Do you have headphones on when you gig with a mix going through it, or just play live as is?
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 12:43:36 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Just use on-stage monitors. The mix varies venue to venue obvs but it's a local one tonight and the sound guy is decent.

this is the book I got: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0996727604/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll check out that site too though. Main thing for me is to keep at it and not get distracted. I find all the theory / exercises boring but I know they'll do me good in the long run!

Would you record your double bass? If so, how?
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 12:53:58 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Ah right, ear plugs will be useful then I guess.

Book looks pretty good. And I know what you mean about theory and exercises being boring - but the studybass guy has some really good stuff. I just went through it all till I'd had enough / got enough skill to start pissing about, then worked out the main scales from the piano onto the bass, and from there, I just started jamming with people or music in the background, or if I'm on my own, practice a bit on the scales and runs, and then just put whatever music I fancy jamming to.

That's bass though. Double bass is turning out to be a different beast - you don't play it like you'd play an electric bass - on an electric, I can whizz through stuff fairly quick - but the double is different - you have a different playing approach. It's obviously early days but that's the vibe I'm getting so far.

If I wanted to record it, I have a condenser mic I could use and plug that into my audio interface. From there, I could get my software on the laptop that connects to the interface to record it as a track within the software. Whereas if I just wanted it louder, I could just plug the mic into an amp lying about I guess.

I reckon using the bow, I could knock up some sinister horror ambient track in no time - it's scary as fuck using that thing :)
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 13:02:55 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather Oh yeah forgot you said you had a condenser Mic. What software do you use out of interest? I'm fannying about with a low budget thing I got with my Line 6 plug in jobbie. It's nice and easy for putting basic ideas together. I download drum loops for it and I've got my mic / synth / bass / guitar for going through a wee four track mixer then into my mac.

Shit yes. get on that sinister horror shit! it's mental how much expensive bows can cost. My dad used to play in an orchestra so his violin and bow were a fortune. Think he said his bow alone was a few grand minimum!!
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 13:07:49 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

At the moment, fuck all, because the cellar isn't setup :) But generally, I'm using Mixcraft 7 while I'm learning Ableton live. I plan to use Ableton going forward, but I'm not as comfortable with it yet as I am on Mixcraft. Never get the bloody time to research it because I'm always playing music :)

Similar setup to mine then - everything goes into the audio interface, and monitor speakers for the output and then a few spare amps for guitar/bass - though I suppose they could go in the interface too really.

Yeah, I read that bows can cost a fortune. They are exceptionally cool though
  • Deleted user 24 August 2018 14:26:48
    Quad appreciates a big bottom in every form.
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 14:38:25 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not heard of Mixcraft is it decent? I wouldn't mind something that's a bit of a step up from what I'm using now but not as complex as Ableton etc. I just know I won't put in the time require to learn it.

Although I do have Logic Pro X installed on my Mac. Ever used that?
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 14:45:28 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JanetSnakehole

:)

Why break the habit of a lifetime
  • fontgeeksogood 24 Aug 2018 14:48:07 6,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If you countersunk a Flashlight in the back of your double bass I imagine the hours of practise would fly by
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 14:48:11 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Yeah, it's ok - it's like a rich man's Acid Pro if you like. Simple enough and has enough features for me. Straightforward horizontal track(s) layout, can fuck about with each one, auto quantizes if you want, decent set of FX etc. It also communicates with my focusrite audio interface really well - can stream midi straight in, or any instrument etc. Basically, when you want to do something, you can do it - I've not had any problems with it really.

Not used Logic as it's only Mac based, and I'm a poor intel boy
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 14:48:49 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    If you countersunk a Flashlight in the back of your double bass I imagine the hours of practise would fly by
    haha - I'd be too tired.

Maybe I could fashion a headboard on it too - double whammy!
  • wuntyphyve 24 Aug 2018 15:20:16 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @quadfather what about drums? Is it programmable or is it all loops etc?
  • quadfather 24 Aug 2018 17:18:47 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

Both - you can import drum loops in, or make them from scratch. Or import one in and edit it. It's pretty good for that.
  • wuntyphyve 11 Oct 2018 22:29:13 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone use Reaper? Just started to muck about with it. Finally got my Line 6 GX talking to it and I've got Pod Farm plugin working as it should so I'm good for bass / guitar / vox etc. I have not, however got one iota what to do about drums...
  • Gibroon 11 Oct 2018 23:39:00 2,132 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ...boom,boom,tish
  • wuntyphyve 12 Oct 2018 09:20:05 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ah, I thought it was more badum badum tsh. That's where I'm going wrong.

Better start looking for tutorials. My brain can't cope with learning new software...
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2018 09:24:15 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

I use a couple of things for drums. I'm away from home at the moment so can't check, but generally, I'm lazy and get a drum loop ready made and just tweak it slightly till I get what I want. Do you use any sequencer software? Most I use have a loop editor built in. Mixcraft, Ableton etc
  • wuntyphyve 12 Oct 2018 10:14:57 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See I just don't know ha ha. I now have this Reaper which seems really good but I don't really know what it can / can't do yet. It's incredibly daunting for my simple brain. I'd like ideally to be able to program the drums in manually to get the exact beat I want. I was looking at this: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/11/27/deepest-sampled-drum-kit/. But don't know how to actually get it working within Reaper yet.
  • quadfather 12 Oct 2018 11:31:02 34,451 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @wuntyphyve

I'll have a look when I get back home. I'm 99% sure Ableton has a easy editor but again, I'm quite lazy and just get something simple going. Or even use YouTube that has different types of drum tracks only. There's quite a few
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Oct 2018 13:25:59 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyphyve In Reaper, select a track and then go to insert and insert a Midi Item. Double click on that new window that has appeared in your track and you should be able to individually insert MIDI. It is always inserted at maximum velocity so you can use the bottom section of that window to alter the volume.

As for putting the VST on the track so it plays back to the MIDI, you need to place the VST in your common VST folder that you have linked to via preferences. Then add it as an FX on your track. This should then play whatever you have programmed in the midi window.

If you need more detail then give me a shout. Obviously there is the recording of the MIDI into audio which is a bit more complicated as the routing in Reaper, as with all DAWs, is pretty complicated.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 13:26:23 12-10-2018
  • wuntyphyve 12 Oct 2018 14:00:37 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep So.... I would need to ensure I had a dedicated VST for the drums first?

I don't know why I'm finding this all so difficult. Then again the last time I used anything like this was Cakewalk back in '99... :S
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Oct 2018 15:11:35 22,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The drum kit you download will have a VST plugin which allows you to use it from within Reaper. Depending on the program it will either automatically put it in the correct shared folder or you will have to manually point Reaper at the VST.

The plugin will then play the MIDI notes you have placed on the channel. There may be some more routing required but do those first two bits and then see where you are at.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.