Any musicians here?! Page 20

Next Last
  • mrharvest 13 Oct 2018 09:50:51 5,586 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Anyone play the double bass here?

I've taken the plunge and got one.

Love to hear from someone else who has/plays one too.
    Hey quad! Didn't notice this earlier. I played double bass for a few years, mostly samba / bossa nova. I take it you got a 4/4 if you say it's massive - I had a 3/4 and I carried it on the tram / bus to band practice once or twice a week no worries, barring the strange looks I got.

For amplification I had a Fishman contact mic under the bridge. I think they've improved in the last years so look around. And you'll get a much more natural sound with a gooseneck.

Also if your bass is new and hasn't been set up properly I'd suggest taking it to a luthier to have a look at. You'll be surprised how much of a difference adjusting the bridge makes for the action. Also, yes. It's supposed to be just held there by the string tension.
  • quadfather 13 Oct 2018 14:22:05 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Anyone play the double bass here?

I've taken the plunge and got one.

Love to hear from someone else who has/plays one too.
    Hey quad! Didn't notice this earlier. I played double bass for a few years, mostly samba / bossa nova. I take it you got a 4/4 if you say it's massive - I had a 3/4 and I carried it on the tram / bus to band practice once or twice a week no worries, barring the strange looks I got.

For amplification I had a Fishman contact mic under the bridge. I think they've improved in the last years so look around. And you'll get a much more natural sound with a gooseneck.

Also if your bass is new and hasn't been set up properly I'd suggest taking it to a luthier to have a look at. You'll be surprised how much of a difference adjusting the bridge makes for the action. Also, yes. It's supposed to be just held there by the string tension.
    Hey! Cool, thanks for the info, appreciated!

Yes, it's a 4/4 and rather large :)

At the moment I'm still very much in the learning stage and getting used to the technique (pizzicato to start with) playing along to different music to get a feel for it.

It's such an amazing sound - I've not touched anything else for months!

I really do need to take it to a luthier as you say - it's just time at the moment with new job, hectic shit etc but I will do it.

Thanks for the info on the pickup. Funnily enough I was doing some research the other week and today I received the k&k bass max one. I've not set it up yet but will hopefully give it a go later.

One thing that's really cool about it is that because it's such a versatile instrument, I am now playing loads of different types of music - not just doing the same funk stuff that I did on electric bass. Although funk is amazing on it as well!
  • quadfather 2 Feb 2019 16:34:35 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking yes! I've just fixed a problem with the fucking synthesizer causing excessive interference in a monitor speaker.

I appreciate this is not the highest grade of news, but the bastard thing has been doing my head in for months!

Naturally, now it's fixed I've turned everything off and gone for a celebratory pint, obviously.
  • Zomoniac 15 Feb 2019 18:14:49 9,938 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We made a new video. I am not in it. I merely hit things in the soundtrack. Other people hit things in the image.

• quadfather 16 Feb 2019 13:04:41 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Zomoniac

I quite like it. The singer sounds good. What do you play?
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 14:43:20 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok. Let's see if anyone can get their head around this.

I have 2 synths and a laptop connected to a focusrite audio interface. From that, I have 2 monitor speakers.

The right hand monitor speaker crackles when different frequencies are played - i.e. It doesn't like certain ones regardless of volume level. Doesn't matter which synth or laptop/YouTube/daw etc. It just does it.

I've changed the leads. Tried both unbalanced and balanced.
    I've changed the speaker with an exact same replacement.
    If I swap the speakers over, the problem is still there in the right hand speaker.
    I've moved everything around and tried different power plugs, and even different locations in the room.

Then the other day, i swapped the speakers over again, and now the problem is doing it in the left channel, so it's followed the speaker. (This in itself is nuts)

So I tried yet another monitor speaker - same shit. So now the problem is on the left.

If I plug a keyboard amp into the left instead, it's fine.

So what, in the name of fuck is going on?

I was going to try plugging one of the synths into the monitor speakers directly, which I will, but if it works that way, what does that even mean? Or what if it still does it?

Edited by quadfather at 14:43:54 17-02-2019
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Feb 2019 15:10:44 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    From a signal path point of view I would guess the issue is with the focus rite. Reason being that the speaker works fine with other sources. Try uninstalling and reinstalling that and use different USB ports. Also, it could be an issue with the buffer settings, try fiddling with those to see if it eradicates the problem.

One other, less sophisticated technique is to quickly turn the pots/levels up and down, sometimes there can be some corrosion or some such and this can be dislodged with this method. Sounds like bunkum but we used to have to do it with mixing desks now and again.
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 15:17:30 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Cheers for the advice, it's totally doing my head in.

Yeah, I'll try the drivers / reinstall first I think. And yes, I've heard that about pots. It's all new kit though, but I'll still do it as I need to rule everything out, even though I've tried all the devices in different focusrite sockets.

It really freaked me out when it moved to the left, because I was slowly getting it narrowed down to that side but there you go.

It has to be something to do with the focusrite
  • Zomoniac 17 Feb 2019 15:22:24 9,938 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @quadfather thanks :) I play drums, itís just the two of us.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Feb 2019 15:22:36 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    As I say, it could be a buffer issue, freaky things start happening when there are buffering issues. One also has to question if anything else has changed in your system directly prior to this problem.

Definitely worth swinging by the focus rite forums to see if this issue has occurred for others.
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 15:40:15 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Cool :) you don't want a pearl export brand new 5 piece 20" kit do you, by any chance?
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 15:42:12 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    As I say, it could be a buffer issue, freaky things start happening when there are buffering issues. One also has to question if anything else has changed in your system directly prior to this problem.

Definitely worth swinging by the focus rite forums to see if this issue has occurred for others.
    Where would the buffer settings be? Also, it does it from any source - so a daw, YouTube, physical instruments etc

Yeah will need to check that forum too
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Feb 2019 15:47:45 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Couldn't tell you with regards of the focusrite as I am still rocking my ancient mbox2. There will be some kind of control panel and it will describe buffers and cache. After that and the other suggestions I cannot think of anything obvious.

Have you updated any drivers of late?
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 15:51:25 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Hmm ok. It has a software mixer/level frontend as part of the install, but I've looked around that and it's very basic. Just does the levels for each channel really.

I'll uninstall it first and do things one at a time.

No, haven't updated it, but then again in the previous house it all worked perfectly. With different speakers that is.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Feb 2019 16:39:21 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmm, odd. Most external sound Ards will have some kind of general buffer settings, I think.

Still, it is very odd that everything was fine and now it is not. Have you tried the monitors on a completely different system, such as the telly or some such?
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 17:05:55 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

No, haven't tried that. Maybe that's one for the list too.

Also, just to bake your noodle even more, it's all been powered off for a while and I've just come back home and powered it all on and everything is absolutely fine.

50 quid says that in ten minutes or so, it'll do it again.

Riddle me that?!
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 17:18:16 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is what it sounds like - https://photos.app.goo.gl/VHSdjQ1JTq9uzidx9
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 17:18:26 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And yes, it's done it again
  • quadfather 17 Feb 2019 17:32:25 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Reinstalling and updating drivers hasn't fixed it.

Hm.
  • Zomoniac 17 Feb 2019 20:48:08 9,938 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Cool :) you don't want a pearl export brand new 5 piece 20" kit do you, by any chance?
    Getting rid already? Afraid not, I sold my DW and my Roland TD20 last year to downsize, only got the one kit now and don't intend to add any more any time soon.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Feb 2019 21:26:11 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Which program are you using to generate the sounds? You should be able to adjust buffer settings in the program. I reckon it is something software based and latency/buffer seems the most likely, rather than it being a hardware fault.
  • quadfather 18 Feb 2019 08:43:03 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Getting rid already? Afraid not, I sold my DW and my Roland TD20 last year to downsize, only got the one kit now and don't intend to add any more any time soon.
    No room unfortunately in the new house :/ ah well
  • quadfather 18 Feb 2019 08:43:55 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Which program are you using to generate the sounds? You should be able to adjust buffer settings in the program. I reckon it is something software based and latency/buffer seems the most likely, rather than it being a hardware fault.
    Anything at all. Windows sounds. YouTube. A daw. Browser based music sites. Music collection. It's not limited to one thing. It's anything at all.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2019 13:08:39 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone play the melodica? Just picked one up for £20 brand new. Didn't realise they were that cheap. Great fun little thing - kinda sounds like a cross between an organ and an accordion.

Plus totally portable so I can annoy everyone \o/
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Mar 2019 13:58:55 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Did you ever sort out your issues?
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2019 14:13:11 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, it's still doing it :(
  • wuntyphyve 5 Mar 2019 14:56:02 11,330 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's nothing to do with sample rates or any shit like that is it? That's what gives me crackling.
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Mar 2019 16:05:52 22,196 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That is what I thought, it seems like buffering issues.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2019 16:06:55 33,939 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im not sure. It's so random. Thing is, it does it with anything. So playing a random music video in YouTube for example will also make it do it. Annoying as fuck.

The only thing that does work is changing the speakers to completely different (non-monitor) ones
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.