Any musicians here?! Page 20

Next Last
  • mrharvest 13 Oct 2018 09:50:51 5,583 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Anyone play the double bass here?

I've taken the plunge and got one.

Love to hear from someone else who has/plays one too.
    Hey quad! Didn't notice this earlier. I played double bass for a few years, mostly samba / bossa nova. I take it you got a 4/4 if you say it's massive - I had a 3/4 and I carried it on the tram / bus to band practice once or twice a week no worries, barring the strange looks I got.

For amplification I had a Fishman contact mic under the bridge. I think they've improved in the last years so look around. And you'll get a much more natural sound with a gooseneck.

Also if your bass is new and hasn't been set up properly I'd suggest taking it to a luthier to have a look at. You'll be surprised how much of a difference adjusting the bridge makes for the action. Also, yes. It's supposed to be just held there by the string tension.
  • quadfather 13 Oct 2018 14:22:05 33,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrharvest wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    Anyone play the double bass here?

I've taken the plunge and got one.

Love to hear from someone else who has/plays one too.
    Hey quad! Didn't notice this earlier. I played double bass for a few years, mostly samba / bossa nova. I take it you got a 4/4 if you say it's massive - I had a 3/4 and I carried it on the tram / bus to band practice once or twice a week no worries, barring the strange looks I got.

For amplification I had a Fishman contact mic under the bridge. I think they've improved in the last years so look around. And you'll get a much more natural sound with a gooseneck.

Also if your bass is new and hasn't been set up properly I'd suggest taking it to a luthier to have a look at. You'll be surprised how much of a difference adjusting the bridge makes for the action. Also, yes. It's supposed to be just held there by the string tension.
    Hey! Cool, thanks for the info, appreciated!

Yes, it's a 4/4 and rather large :)

At the moment I'm still very much in the learning stage and getting used to the technique (pizzicato to start with) playing along to different music to get a feel for it.

It's such an amazing sound - I've not touched anything else for months!

I really do need to take it to a luthier as you say - it's just time at the moment with new job, hectic shit etc but I will do it.

Thanks for the info on the pickup. Funnily enough I was doing some research the other week and today I received the k&k bass max one. I've not set it up yet but will hopefully give it a go later.

One thing that's really cool about it is that because it's such a versatile instrument, I am now playing loads of different types of music - not just doing the same funk stuff that I did on electric bass. Although funk is amazing on it as well!
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.