Following What are you currently listening to? Page 258

  • Deleted user 29 January 2021 23:40:33
  • Drakesmoke 3 Feb 2021 13:40:27 786 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Smashing Pumpkins. Had a flatmate at uni who seriously abused this band with over playing, which he also did with Queens of The Stone Age (only the one album of theirs though). Put me really off both, but with enough separation I've really found a lot in both catalogues I love.

    Started with Mellon Collie, then Siamese, and currently on Machina randomly, which although the production is a racket, I think is really underrated. In fact Everlasting Gaze gives me goosebumps to this day. Remember liking the singles but thinking the rest of it was a bit boring (would have been unfortunately rather into nu metal at this point), but listening back it's superior to most of the heavier stuff released at that time.
  • PierrePressure 3 Feb 2021 14:09:33 1,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Queens of the stone Age were probably my favorite band, they've got a nice mix of catchy hooks and heaviness that I like. I've seen them about 15 times including in Amsterdam, I even got to interview them whilst at Uni.


    I was gutted when Homme kicked a photographer during a live performance, barely listened to them since.
  • Drakesmoke 3 Feb 2021 14:49:43 786 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @PierrePressure same feeling tbh. He does appear to have expressed remorse since, whether you believe him is up to you. A bit ironic given the reasons he sacked Oliver.

    I think Villains is a very good record despite its different production.

    Edit number 3: autocorrect will not let me do Nick's surname.

    Edited by Drakesmoke at 14:50:31 03-02-2021
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Feb 2021 19:34:53 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Sundayísí debut album , long while since I had this on, utterly lovely. Those guitars, that sweet voice and glorious melodies.
    Only downside is realising that I bought it 30 years ago :(
  • daver 6 Feb 2021 03:09:37 117 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Black Country, New Road's debut is pretty great. Also revisiting Double Negative by Low today - still utterly astonishing 2 years later.
  • Trafford 6 Feb 2021 08:17:26 9,201 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There could come a time in our lives when we think FUCK! I didn't think I needed that.

    Jazz Sabbath, Iron Man

    https://youtu.be/Mm_pW-NKq3w
  • Vortex808 8 Feb 2021 14:01:56 15,116 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Wedding Present-The George Best LP.

    Still good.
  • PierrePressure 8 Feb 2021 14:13:34 1,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Slint- Spiderland.

    Love this album but fucking hell the vocals.
  • JoelStinty 8 Feb 2021 18:02:16 9,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Oranssi Pazuzu because I want to travel through the fabric of reality in my own head while I work... we're going to have some interesting looking slides tomorrow...

    I really like this album. I thought at first it would be a novelty but every time I go back to it it still sounds fresh. Ridiculously fun. Itís kind like the Mars Volta and Mayhem combined and made and album in space.

    Been listening to the new Steven Wilson album. Some good stuff in there. Itís a really well Sequenced album. I wasnít overly keen on listening to a couple of tracks in single form but when placed in an album they come to life. Album reminds me a little of some of Roger Waters solo stuff.

    Edited by JoelStinty at 18:03:29 08-02-2021
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Feb 2021 13:39:54 17,425 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Celebrating Mastodonís 21st anniversary of being a band by listening to all their albums in order.

    I know its not a common opinion but I still donít feel it with Blood Mountain. Remission and Leviathan are both perfect and it feels like just a collection of some songs.

    Theyíre very different albums but Crack The Skye possibly rivals Leviathan as their masterpiece for me.
  • Rhaegyr 17 Feb 2021 13:55:04 5,414 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    Slint- Spiderland.

    Love this album but fucking hell the vocals.
    CREEPING UP. INTO THE. SKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
  • Killerbee 17 Feb 2021 14:08:12 5,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Finally got hold of the CD of...

    Scandroid - The Darkness and the Light

    Iím only one listen through, and I started out thinking it was quite similar in sound to the previous albums, but there are enough stand out tracks that shake up the formula a bit. Itís a good album.

    Recommended if you like Gunship and similar bands or need some 80s style synth pop.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 21 Feb 2021 01:51:45 17,425 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finlandís Eurovision 2021 entry is straight out of 2001

  • drhickman1983 21 Feb 2021 03:59:59 7,511 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been listening to Slowthai's Tyron album a fair bit.

    It didn't grab me straight away on after several listens there's a message that really starts to shine through. Like even conceptually. The first half is braggadocia with occasional cracks, then the second half explores those cracks. In great detail.

    The split nature of the record really speaks to the cyclical nature these kind of feelings and I feel I can relafe actually relate quite a lot.

    Like 8/10 or something
  • Nanocrystal 21 Feb 2021 07:39:25 2,401 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    Finally got hold of the CD of...

    Scandroid - The Darkness and the Light

    Iím only one listen through, and I started out thinking it was quite similar in sound to the previous albums, but there are enough stand out tracks that shake up the formula a bit. Itís a good album.

    Recommended if you like Gunship and similar bands or need some 80s style synth pop.
    Sounds good. Been really enjoying the latest albums from At 1980 and Droid Bishop recently.
  • Killerbee 21 Feb 2021 10:42:57 5,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    Finally got hold of the CD of...

    Scandroid - The Darkness and the Light

    Iím only one listen through, and I started out thinking it was quite similar in sound to the previous albums, but there are enough stand out tracks that shake up the formula a bit. Itís a good album.

    Recommended if you like Gunship and similar bands or need some 80s style synth pop.
    Sounds good. Been really enjoying the latest albums from At 1980 and Droid Bishop recently.
    Cheers - not heard either of those but will give them a try!
  • nickthegun 1 Mar 2021 11:26:11 86,359 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    WRT a conversation about 'streaming Vs ownership' we had recently in the audiphile thread... I had interestingly visible algorithmics recently. I have been listening to the twin peaks soundtrack because its great. 'Shadow' by Chromatics is particularly great.

    The alogrithm knows I think its great and suggested I listen to this, presumably because they are on the same record label, which I also think is great. Score one for AI.

  • Armoured_Bear 2 Mar 2021 20:53:30 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    P.J Harvey - Is this desire?
    Her vinyl reissues sound absolutely fantastic, such a great artist.
  • IRWATWO 4 Mar 2021 17:07:02 1,157 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Smiths. And I was listening to The Stone Roses in the shower earlier, it's a proper Manc fuckwits playlist.
  • Killerbee 4 Mar 2021 17:19:01 5,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    IRWATWO wrote:
    The Smiths. And I was listening to The Stone Roses in the shower earlier, it's a proper Manc fuckwits playlist.
    Iíve always been a bit unsure about Ian Brown ever since I went to a solo gig of his and he was basically a complete arsehole and really rude and aggressive to the assembled audience.

    He did put on a good show - the songs included plenty of old Roses stuff so we all left (mostly) happy, but afterwards I kind of felt I understood a little of why John Squire might not have wanted to stay in a band with him...

    The anti-vax stuff... what a prat.
  • Vortex808 5 Mar 2021 11:09:27 15,116 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    P.J Harvey - Is this desire?
    Her vinyl reissues sound absolutely fantastic, such a great artist.
    Uh huh her is out soon too. I'm really enjoying all the demo versions of her albums she's putting out just now.


    On topic, the new Arab Strap LP. only had one full listen so far, but it's got a few good 'uns on there.
  • Deleted user 5 March 2021 12:02:46
    Twisted Cables by Faster.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Mar 2021 12:15:15 30,322 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    P.J Harvey - Is this desire?
    Her vinyl reissues sound absolutely fantastic, such a great artist.
    Uh huh her is out soon too. I'm really enjoying all the demo versions of her albums she's putting out just now.


    On topic, the new Arab Strap LP. only had one full listen so far, but it's got a few good 'uns on there.
    Thanks for the AS reminder, been meaning to have a listen. I do prefer MM's solo stuff though.
    Yeah, I'll be ordering Uh Huh Her, I really like the Dry demos but it's impressive with some of the albums, how close the demos are to the finished recordings, she's clearly very complete in her songwriting (or tells producers to GTF :) )
  • Killerbee 5 Mar 2021 12:41:35 5,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Itís been out for a while, but Iíve recently picked up Christopher Tinís newest album ĎTo Shiver the Skyí.

    For those that donít know, heís the guy who wrote the main theme songs for Civ VI (which is on this album) and Civ IV previously.

    Itís classical, but with lots of cross-over influences so definitely accessible, if thatís the right word. The songs are on themes of flight, so it begins with that Civ VI theme (Sogno Di Volare) which takes its lyrics from the writings of Leonardo Da Vinci. The final track uses the JFK speech - ďWe Choose to go to the MoonĒ.

    Anyway, Iím very much enjoying it. Hereís Sogno do Volare:

    https://youtu.be/WQYN2P3E06s

    Iíd probably recommend anyone new to Tinís music to start with ďCalling All DawnsĒ (this album opens with the Civ IV theme, Baba Yetu) but all his stuff is awesome.
  • b-rk 5 Mar 2021 13:17:22 1,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • smoothpete 5 Mar 2021 13:49:57 37,616 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Calibre's new album, very good if you like that kind of thing
  • PierrePressure 5 Mar 2021 14:27:35 1,395 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yves Tumour's album from last year, it sounds like something people would imagine we would be listening to in the future. Love it.
  • Drakesmoke 5 Mar 2021 14:39:47 786 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Celebrating Mastodonís 21st anniversary of being a band by listening to all their albums in order.

    I know its not a common opinion but I still donít feel it with Blood Mountain. Remission and Leviathan are both perfect and it feels like just a collection of some songs.

    Theyíre very different albums but Crack The Skye possibly rivals Leviathan as their masterpiece for me.
    Agree with practically all of this. However I am quite a fan of their later stuff. Am much more likely to put on Emperor or The Hunter than the early monolithic stuff now, unless I'm in the mood for it. Getting old.
  • Drakesmoke 5 Mar 2021 14:41:49 786 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.