I'm Publishing My First Book Page 10

• CosmicFuzz 23 Jan 2015 17:35:39 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @stryker1121 it's taken me about 2 years to get to this stage. The redrafting was brutal at first - draft 2 was essentially me writing the book all over again, but since then it's been easier. With each draft it's gotten closer and closer to the original idea I had in my head when I started, and each one took less time too.

I'm still not convinced it's actually any good :D but I've learned loads just from doing it, and it's given me the confidence in myself to keep going. Doubt I'll get anywhere with agents but you never know, will most likely end up on kindle store which is fine.

Second book though, THAT'LL be the one, etc etc :)

Keep at it though! It does get easier as redrafts continue, but it's all the real life stuff that gets in the way isn't it! Having a second person always complicates things, I've written a script with a friend and we're working on some new stuff, and it definitely takes much longer, but you get viewpoints that you wouldn't writing alone and bouncing ideas and lines etc off each other is great.
  • steve1979 25 Jan 2015 17:44:52 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz It's going pretty well. My publisher sent me the cover to book 4, which is now on Amazon to pre-order (which is pretty damn cool to see). Book 5 is being edited and my agent wants me to write a sci-fi series I pitched to him. (According to him it's Patrick Rothfoss meets Firefly, which is an amalgamation I'm okay with).

I'm hoping this is my last year of fulltime employment and writing at the same time. I just don't have time to do everything I want to do. Some friends of mine work as comic book writers and I'd love to try my hand at that.

Good to see people are still writing and enjoying it.
  • steve1979 29 Jan 2015 08:54:09 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Because some of you might be interested, the cover and book blurb for Prison of Hope is finally available

Prison of Hope.
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Jan 2015 09:28:00 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @stryker1121 sorry dude forgot to reply!

I went for the pants on head route - had a rough idea of what I wanted in my mind, but didn't do much planning beyond a couple of "moments" I could picture. TBH was a total pain in the ass, first draft was a mess and second draft was essentially a complete rewrite. Added a lot more work and time to the project, and for my next one I'm definitely going to plan it out properly before to make sure I'm happy with the plot etc.

Obviously there's stuff that happens midway through writing that you weren't expecting and dictates where the plot/characters should go next, but I do think having a semi-solid plan in place is best. Just so much easier to set up stuff further down the line.
  • CosmicFuzz 29 Jan 2015 09:29:34 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @steve1979 looking good!
  • steve1979 29 Jan 2015 09:35:16 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks very much. I'm currently going through my usual excited/bricking it at the thought of having a book published.
  • steve1979 2 Mar 2015 09:43:58 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I figured someone here might like this. All 3 of my books are currently on sale on Amazon UK. They're 1 each.

Sale
  • steve1979 5 Mar 2015 08:23:46 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In preparation for the upcoming release, here is chapter 1 of Prison of Hope. I hope you enjoy it. I'll stop plugging things for a bit now. Promise.
    Chapter 1
  • binky Moderator 5 Mar 2015 08:58:58 11,036 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Lovely stuff and congratulations on your continued success. Have you had much of a bump with the sale prices?

Seeing as it is World Book Day today, I'm going to pimp my wares too. So if you haven't already read it, go grab a copy of my silly short stories for e-readers. People Watching.
  • steve1979 5 Mar 2015 09:12:29 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks very much, glad you liked it.

My publisher tend to plug the sale prices quite a bit on Amazon, so there's usually a banner (in this case 40 books for 1 each), so they do pretty well. In the states though it's a whole different world. I might sell a few thousand in this sale in the UK, in the US the same sale will net you well over 10,000 sales in a month.

I like the cover to your book. It's quite striking. In fact I actually own a copy of your book.
  • steve1979 14 Apr 2015 09:46:04 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Today is the launch for my 4th book, Prison of Hope. Quite why I'm more nervous about this one than the previous 3, I have no idea. The below link has links to various places you can get the book and some reviews.

Launch Day
  • Nielzor 29 May 2015 11:55:20 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello chaps,

Just found this thread. First of all, huge congrats to steve1979 for all your success.

I finished my first book in 2004. I sent it out to agents and had a few full manuscript requests but the general consensus was that it was too long and too strange and in an unmarketable genre. To be fair it was a 140,000 word surreal literary comedy about an octopus matador. As I was in my mid twenties, I naturally thought any commercial shortcomings wouldn't matter in the face of my immense literary genius. It didn't work out.

I finished another one two years ago. A literary thriller, it was my attempt to write something more commercial. Two agents requested the full manuscript (less than the last one!). They said it was too long, too confusing and would be better off cut in half and rewritten as a young adult novel. I quickly realised that doing so would take as long just writing another book. The book is rather grim and probably too long but that's the sort of book I like to read. It's the first in a trilogy. I'm still hoping to get it out there one day.

So, I'm writing another one now and I'm nearly finished. It's a straight up comedy, at 60,000 words. I'm really pleased with it and I think it's the best shot I'll have of being published. It's accessible and funny and a sensible length. I'm going to go the agent route again, but may try self-publishing online if it doesn't work out.

I'll come back and let all know once I've won the Pulitzer.
  • steve1979 25 Aug 2015 11:58:01 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And another launch day! Today it's book 5, Lies Ripped Open. It's weird to think that I've only been published for 3 years. Everything seems to have changed in that time.

Because I don't want to publish loads of links, I'll link to my blog, that way if anyone is interested the links and info is all there.

Lies Ripped Open

Edited by steve1979 at 11:58:42 25-08-2015
  • ibenam 25 Aug 2015 12:11:19 3,285 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Id lke to say im a published author.

Does it take long to write a book?
  • steve1979 25 Aug 2015 14:08:02 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Depends on the book. I can write a Hellequin book in 3 or 4 months, but my current sci fi book is over 200,000 words long and has taken 7 months so far. But then my first book took 3 years.

In short yes. Yes, it takes a long time.
  • Benno 25 Aug 2015 14:13:19 11,724 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ibenam wrote:
    Id lke to say im a published author.

Does it take long to write a book?
    Depends what you mean by 'book'. You can throw together a 5000 word kindle book and be selling it within a weekend.
  • The12thMonkey 25 Aug 2015 18:30:55 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hi all,

Really cool thread and I'm going to be checking out the books that have been linked here.

I was hoping I'd be able to ask a few questions about getting started.
    First things first, yes, I have a draft (a sixth draft, actually) of a story that I've been writing seriously since 2011 (and has been an idea/collection of scenes since about 1998...)

Anyway, questions. Any/all pointers are greatly appreciated.

1) I was thinking I'd set up a blog and start with small excerpts for promotion, but I guess I will need to use Twitter as well? I've never used it in my life so I'm not sure how best to approach promotion through it. Any suggestions?

2) Related to the first one. I'm planning to use a pen name (that I'm still working on), but can I set up a Facebook page for a pen name? I've heard of them closing accounts that don't match what's on your birth certificate.

3) I'm not planning to publish right away - the draft is still being read by a few people. Should I just start publicising amongst friends and family first, keep linking back to the blog, and see where it goes from there?

4) The book is actually part 1 of a larger, continuous story. All four parts are written and in various stages of draft (which is why it's taken me so damn long to write). The end of book 1 makes it very obvious that there is more to come. Is this going to be a problem for me? Are stories set in a recurring universe but generally unconnected an easier pitch or is it all much of a muchness? I ask just to be forewarned - it's not a factor I'm going to change.

5) Book 1 is 130,000 words and I've cut out just about everything I think is unessential. Is that too much for a first novel? Also, how important are chapter sizes? I've read decent sized books with hardly any chapter breaks (Iain M. Banks - The Player of Games springs to mind), but should it always a be a purely stylistic choice or should I always keep plenty of breaks to make it easier to read?

Many thanks in advance :)
  • steve1979 1 Sep 2015 12:46:43 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sorry, I haven't been around to look at this. Here's some answers:

1) Twitter is very useful for networking, and for having a place for people to come say hi. A blog is also very good for putting promo stuff.

2)You can, but you can't have one for your real name. I'd say just use your real name or create a FB page (you can call it what you want then).

3)Personally, I'd get people outside of your friends and family to read it. I'd join a writing group (even an online one), if you're planning to Self-publish, you need to be aware that your book will have to be as polished as a professional one. And that costs money. Editors, copy-editors, proof-readers, cover artists. It all adds up, and you can't skip on any of those steps or you'll be torn apart by reviews. if you're going to go the way of finding an agent, you'll need to make sure you book is incredibly polished for them. And that you're good at writing synopsis and query letters.

4) I don't think it matters. Agents and publishers like series, but they like stand-alones too. People will read your follow on books if they liked a previous one, whether you're writing a series or not.

5) My first book was 125,000 words. It doesn't matter at all how long it is, just how good it is. Chapter sizes, it's nice if they're all similar in size (apparently), but mine aren't and no one has ever told me to go back and change stuff just to make them all the same size (although they have told me to split them before). They do like breaks, as it's easier to read, but not so that it spoils the flow of the chapter.
  • steve1979 2 Dec 2015 14:31:30 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some news. I handed my notice in yesterday as I've been offered another 2 book deal. So as of the 18th Dec, I will be a full-time author. Both exciting and terrifying.
  • LittleSparra 2 Dec 2015 14:41:45 7,926 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Congratulations chap, that's awesome.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2015 14:42:24
    Awesome, well done Steve.

I can't imagine the pressure of deadlines combined with my natural laziness
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 2 Dec 2015 14:44:37 47,498 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That's terrific. Well done.
  • Deleted user 2 December 2015 14:48:23
    Although....technically...you're no longer allowed in this thread
  • CosmicFuzz 2 Dec 2015 15:32:19 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's awesome man, living the dream! (One day, cosmic, one day...)
  • sport 2 Dec 2015 17:37:31 16,105 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Great stuff Steve. Inspirational.

And don't worry Cos, one day there'll be money in interpretive dance, I'm sure of it.
  • jonsaan 2 Dec 2015 18:59:30 27,052 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Congrats. Knock 'em dead!
  • DaM 2 Dec 2015 20:31:48 17,459 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Excellent, that's great news. Now you can sit around and play games all day, then write when you normally do :)
  • steve1979 4 Dec 2015 12:04:22 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks, everyone. I need to make sure I actually work and not just say, "fuck it, I'm just going to play Fallout 4 for an hour." It's incredibly daunting, and there's a lot to sort out, but I'm really looking forward to it.
  • Nielzor 7 Jul 2016 19:45:12 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello chaps!

I've just released my comic novel, Mervyn vs. Dennis, as an ebook on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mervyn-vs-Dennis-Niels-Saunders-ebook/dp/B01I1TAID0

It's only 1.99 or free if you're on Kindle Unlimited.

Here's the blurb:

Deep in debt, Mervyn Kirby gets a job he doesn't want by pretending to be racist. His new boss Dennis Lane thinks he's found a kindred spirit. When Mervyn confesses he's not really racist, Dennis thinks it's just part of the act. Day by day, to Mervyn's horror, Dennis worms his way into Mervyn's private life. Despite his fears, Mervyn is torn: his new job pays well but he despises Dennis and everything he stands for. How far will Mervyn go to free himself? How far will Dennis go to become friends? Will they settle their differences or end up killing each other? And why are so many shifty people carrying pineapples around town?

If that sounds like your sort of thing, I hope you'll give it a go. Thanks for reading :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.