I'm Publishing My First Book Page 11

• RelaxedMikki 7 Jul 2016 19:57:04 3,214 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nielzor

That sounds ace. Can I read a little bit more anywhere?
  • Nielzor 7 Jul 2016 20:34:02 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki

Sure thing! You can read the first chapter here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwihCCLCEgzDWm9kaXRRUGstcXc/
  • Nielzor 29 Jul 2016 10:03:02 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hey chaps,

My ebook Mervyn vs. Dennis is available for free today and over the weekend. It's a dark comedy set in Brighton about pineapples and prejudice.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mervyn-vs-Dennis-Niels-Saunders-ebook/dp/B01I1TAID0

Here's the blurb:

Deep in debt, Mervyn Kirby gets a job he doesn't want by pretending to be racist. His new boss Dennis Lane thinks he's found a kindred spirit. When Mervyn confesses he's not really racist, Dennis thinks it's just part of the act. Day by day, to Mervyn's horror, Dennis worms his way into Mervyn's private life. Despite his fears, Mervyn is torn: his new job pays well but he despises Dennis and everything he stands for. How far will Mervyn go to free himself? How far will Dennis go to become friends? Will they settle their differences or end up killing each other? And why are so many shifty people carrying pineapples around town?
  • BearFishPie 30 Jul 2016 09:00:47 810 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Nielzor All the best for the launch!

I've spent the past 6 years or so on and off trying to get a YA book off the ground. After some close-but-no-banana brushes with agents I've now decided to the self-publishing route. The adage that the hardest stage of getting a book published is the one after the book has been written certainly seems accurate :-(
  • DaM 30 Jul 2016 09:35:52 17,459 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Well done! Downloaded. Will try and read on holiday.
  • Nielzor 31 Jul 2016 00:08:19 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers DaM. Thanks a lot for reading and hope you have a great holiday!

I feel your pain with the agents, BearFishPie. I've been trying that route for 15 years over three separate novels. I've had plenty of complimentary rejections but the consensus was my stuff simply wasn't commercial enough.

I resisted self-publishing for a long time because of stubborn pride and an ingrained prejudice about the vanity press. It basically came down to writing a fourth novel that, knowing my stylistic tenancies, would once again be deemed not commercial enough or giving self-publishing a shot.

The whole self-promotion thing is a hell of a lot of work. I'm actually quite enjoying it, though, which I never expected.

The free promotion is going quite well so far. Number 1 in the American satire chart at the moment. Hopefully I'll gain a few fans :)
  • steve1979 4 Aug 2016 13:18:03 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Congrats on the book launch. Best of luck with it, it looks like a lot of fun.

Self-publishing is REALLY hard work, but it can be very rewarding. Finding an agent is also hard work, and it can feel like a bit of a constant stream of crushing rejections after rejections.
  • steve1979 4 Aug 2016 13:19:59 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've posted the cover and first chapter to my 6th books, HERE, and I'm currently editing my 7th. I left my job last Dec to write full-time and I've barely had time to stop writing. It's been an exceptionally busy few months.
  • devil_badger 7 Aug 2016 22:51:31 812 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nielzor wrote:
    Hey chaps,

My ebook Mervyn vs. Dennis is available for free today and over the weekend. It's a dark comedy set in Brighton about pineapples and prejudice.

Here's the blurb:

Deep in debt, Mervyn Kirby gets a job he doesn't want by pretending to be racist. His new boss Dennis Lane thinks he's found a kindred spirit. When Mervyn confesses he's not really racist, Dennis thinks it's just part of the act. Day by day, to Mervyn's horror, Dennis worms his way into Mervyn's private life. Despite his fears, Mervyn is torn: his new job pays well but he despises Dennis and everything he stands for. How far will Mervyn go to free himself? How far will Dennis go to become friends? Will they settle their differences or end up killing each other? And why are so many shifty people carrying pineapples around town?
    Finished reading this today. It's not what I'd usually read, but I really really enjoyed it. Well done!
  • coastal 7 Aug 2016 23:32:19 5,430 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Nielzor I finished your book last week. Thought it was excellent. Nicely skips along with some very funny moments. Couldn't put it down and it even replaced Pokemon for the walk home.
  • Nielzor 8 Aug 2016 15:07:22 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    devil_badger and coastal,

Thank you so much. Really pleased you both enjoyed Mervyn vs. Dennis. Usurping Pokemon Go is a compliment of the highest order. You've truly made my day!

Sales are pretty slow but I'm still working hard on promotion and hoping for some good of mouth. Hearing good feedback like this always gives me hope.
  • The12thMonkey 8 Aug 2016 16:43:59 566 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Nielzor I've just read the first chapter on my lunch. As a former employee of the very office I'm pretty confident you're sending up, I enjoyed it a lot.
  • galcianuk Associate Design Director, CD Projekt RED 8 Aug 2016 18:02:37 11 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nielzor wrote:
    Hey chaps,

Here's the blurb:

Sounds like a specific episode from Peep Show :)
  • devil_badger 8 Aug 2016 21:24:32 812 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nielzor I'll make sure I leave a review on Amazon in the coming days. It was the reviews there which got me to download it actually!
  • Nielzor 8 Aug 2016 23:06:16 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @devil_badger You beauty, that'd be great!
  • BearFishPie 9 Aug 2016 06:45:23 810 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Nielzor Just made a start on your book - very much enjoying it so far and enjoying some of the stylistic flourishes - the polyester sneeze of a shirt raised a chuckle!
  • Nielzor 9 Aug 2016 09:23:43 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @BearFishPie That's great, glad to hear you're enjoying it! Hope it keeps you chuckling.
  • Humperfunk 9 Aug 2016 11:05:18 8,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hahaha that blurb sounds superb, will definitely download :)
  • Nielzor 10 Aug 2016 07:09:23 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Humperfunk Nice one! Happy reading, hope you enjoy 😄
  • CosmicFuzz 6 Sep 2016 09:54:21 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I use Scrivener for everything - books/short stories and screenplays mainly. Really great piece of software.
  • anephric 6 Sep 2016 11:18:25 4,185 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I use my brain and made sure the grammarz and speelung is all good.

I'd never rely on software to tell me if something is grammatically 'correct' or that my clauses are too long. I find the concept fairly disgusting.
  • Nielzor 24 Jun 2017 11:31:45 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello chaps,

I know some of you enjoyed my last book, Mervyn vs. Dennis. My latest one, Grand Theft Octo, is out and completely free at the moment:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Theft-Octo-Niels-Saunders-ebook/dp/B071V8XRQC

It's a dark satire about the world's most unusual businessman. Here's a quick synopsis:

When Jonathan Doe is fired from his office job for stealing too much stationery, he becomes an entrepreneur of businesses the world has never seen. After a disastrous start at freelance taxidermy, he moves onto professional octopus teasing. Will he fail again or make his fortune? Is he really a professional or just a con artist? Desperate to succeed, his plans become more outlandish, from stealing theme park mascots at gunpoint to fighting deranged restaurant tycoons. As the enemies he makes seek revenge, both his life and business are threatened, until his world spirals into mayhem and violence. Set in the fictional city of Vestibue, England, Grand Theft Octo is a wild and hilarious ride that strikes at the heart of aspirational culture.

Happy reading :)
  • steve1979 24 Jun 2017 17:57:23 2,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SpaceMonkey77

Thanks very much, best of luck with your writing.

My writing has gone really well. I've got my 7th book coming out this year, been on best seller lists and was able to quit my job and write fulltime. It's been 5 years since I published my first book and frankly it's been an astonishing time.

Like you said, it's not easy, but it's been the best thing I ever did.
  • spamdangled 24 Jun 2017 21:14:22 31,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Nielzor Have downloaded it and looming forward to reading once I finish From The Notebooks of Dr. Brain by Minister Faust
  • Nielzor 24 Jun 2017 22:24:22 484 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spamdangled Cheers mate, hope you enjoy. Let me know what From The Notebooks of Dr. Brain is like. Looks like it might be up my street.
  • spamdangled 24 Jun 2017 23:06:04 31,803 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Nielzor It's ok. A bit on the nose in places (it has very obvious pastiches of superman and batman), and you don't get much sense of a universe that has existed for decades, despite the plot, because the history is never fleshed out. If you ever read Peter David's issues of X-Factor where they were forced into therapy with Doc Samson, you might like it.

I would much more recommend Soon I Will Be Invincible.

Edited by spamdangled at 23:06:55 24-06-2017

Edited by spamdangled at 23:08:32 24-06-2017
  • Skirlasvoud 25 Jun 2017 10:13:34 4,039 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @spamdangled

Honest! I like that!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.