Spoilers - really that big a deal?

First Previous
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:31:23
    All this talk of Batman "spoilers" at the moment has really left me wondering what construes a spoiler these days.

Knowing the end to the Sixth Sense would essentially ruin the film, as would knowing who the killer is in an Agatha Christie novel, but apart from a couple of very specific types of entertainment are "spoilers" really that much to worry about? TDKR is a superhero film FFS! It's a fairly established trope at this point, what are people concerned about?

Going back to the first two Nolan Batman flicks I can't genuinely think of anything that would have had less of an impact had I known it was coming. Do spoiler haters really doubt the writer/director's ability to keep the viewer's interest?
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:35:05
    Everything has less of an impact if you know it's coming.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:35:19
    Never really bother me for games or films. It's all gonna work out.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2012 13:36:28 18,079 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Do spoiler haters really doubt the writer/director's ability to keep the viewer's interest?
    The crucial thing here is that a writer or director won't (and shouldn't have to) assume the viewer knows what's going to happen when they sit down to watch the film. The viewer's interest, generally, is held by them not knowing where the story is going to take them.

I know some people say that them knowing the plot of something before they watch it doesn't adversely affect their enjoyment, but I don't think the vast majority of people would agree.

As for Batman: it wouldn't have ruined your enjoyment in even the smallest way if you knew that Rachel dies in TDK?
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:38:50
    This is why I avoid film threads until I've seen the film.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2012 13:40:51 18,079 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, I'm not sure what the fact that TDKR is a superhero film has to do with anything. Weird comment, that.

(Possible spoiler for TDKR, no idea if it's true) If Batman actually does kick the bucket, then that just goes to show that the fact it's a superhero film doesn't really mean anything.
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:43:41
    The sky - is it really blue?
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 13:50:26
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    As for Batman: it wouldn't have ruined your enjoyment in even the smallest way if you knew that Rachel dies in TDK?
    Not really, it was totally in keeping with the character being built and thus had no "surprise" attributed to it at all.

I guess I view the notion of "spoilers" differently. If the thing being revealed would outright "spoil" a film (the ending of Sixth Sense, the ending for The Mist, knowing Keyser Soze's identity) then fair enough, reviewers and internet chatterboxes should respect that but I've seen people pissing and moaning this week about knowing that the locations where Batman fights Bane FFS!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 18 Jul 2012 13:53:49 47,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I told a friend that Snape kills Dumbledor. He still hasn't forgiven me.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2012 13:54:45 25,708 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a big deal if people think it's a big deal. In that they don't worry me personally so much, but I generally do my best to avoid spoiling for other people.

There are some TV shows that I'd prefer not to be spoiled, though. Especially the twisty ones. I remember seeing a TV promo for Revenge that seemingly gave away a huge spoiler before I'd started watching the series, and I had to cover my ears going LALALALALALALA for the whole thing.
  • disusedgenius 18 Jul 2012 14:07:42 10,667 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I would have thought that 'yes' is the obvious answer. It can't do anything but alter the way you're watching something - for me anyway it becomes a much more passive appreciation rather than a gut-level enjoyment.
  • sport 18 Jul 2012 14:08:36 16,837 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DDevil - WHAT?!?!?!?!?
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 14:13:09
    Is the unknown more interesting than the known?

Yes.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2012 14:13:21 25,708 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It depends on the type of film for me. Sometimes, if I know what is going to happen, then I can still appreciate and find enjoyment by finding out *how* it happens. It's a different kind of enjoyment, sure, but I still value it.

Like with those movies that show the endings first. Or TV shows like Breaking Bad that have a cold opening every season. Although I guess those spoilers are kind of built in, so perhaps don't count.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 14:14:15 18-07-2012
  • Deleted user 18 July 2012 14:14:08
    Are spoilers a big deal? Well -- they spoil things, don't they.
  • L_Franko Moderator 18 Jul 2012 14:14:35 9,695 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Who is Snape and what does he have against Dumbledor?
    Also, who is Dumbledor?
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jul 2012 14:28:53 6,513 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bruce Willis is a ghost.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2012 14:31:09 25,708 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bruce Willis was a ghost. He's not now.
  • Ziz0u 18 Jul 2012 14:31:36 11,006 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it that difficult not to spoil things?
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2012 14:34:10 25,708 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    It can be, because there is some disagreement as to what exactly a spoiler is.

(Love your profile pic, btw. Preacher is probably one of the fucking coolest things I've ever read. People could spoil the shit out of that and I wouldn't care, because nothing prepares you for how awesome it is to read it for the first time)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 14:38:13 18-07-2012
  • BinaryBob101 18 Jul 2012 14:40:34 27,755 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Game of Thrones TELEVISION thread is a testament to how shitty spoilers can be.

PazJohnMitch still has a LOT to answer for in my book.
  • johnson81 18 Jul 2012 14:44:08 392 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Unless I care about the source material, I generally don't care. I usually wont watch a film unless I loosely know what the plot it. I think spoilers for games are ridiculous as most stories and plot twists are either rubbish and or cliched.
  • Blakester 18 Jul 2012 14:45:15 5,216 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's a difference between knowing the broad plot of a film beforehand and someone telling you a key plot twist or the ending.

Most movie reviews will outline the key plot points and I can't see how that ruins anyone's enjoyment. What I do object to though is certain media outlets that have started to insert key pieces of dialogue into their reviews (yes I'm looking at you Empire). That is intensely irritating.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jul 2012 14:47:03 18,079 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    There's a difference between knowing the broad plot of a film beforehand and someone telling you a key plot twist or the ending.

Most movie reviews will outline the key plot points and I can't see how that ruins anyone's enjoyment. What I do object to though is certain media outlets that have started to insert key pieces of dialogue into their reviews (yes I'm looking at you Empire). That is intensely irritating.
    Sight and Sound 'win' this round by putting a complete synopsis next to their reviews. So weird.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Jul 2012 14:47:12 25,708 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ziz0u 18 Jul 2012 14:47:21 11,006 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    It can be, because there is some disagreement as to what exactly a spoiler is.

(Love your profile pic, btw. Preacher is probably one of the fucking coolest things I've ever read. People could spoil the shit out of that and I wouldn't care, because nothing prepares you for how awesome it is to read it for the first time)
    I suppose so... but it's pretty easy to tell the difference between a major spoiler and a minor one though imo. I don't want to read either, but I can let the little ones slide.

I stay out of the Game of Thrones and Walking Dead threads because I know I am not as far in as others.

(Thanks. :) It is awesome)
  • First Previous
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.