Spoilers - really that big a deal? Page 4

Next Last
  • nickthegun 24 Mar 2021 11:57:46 86,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If you want to mitigate the spoiler, you can tell your lad that although dumbledore goes down like a bitch, the more interesting mystery is more in the 'why', which isnt revealed in that book (I assume. Other than those pages, Ive only seen the films).

Edited by nickthegun at 11:58:44 24-03-2021
  • hedben2013 24 Mar 2021 12:34:07 2,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    I genuinely didn't know that last bit. Fuck you man!
    It felt like 18 years was probably long enough to mitigate needing tags.
    I get that spoilers seem less required the older something is, but I have a weekly film night with my older kids (10 and 13) and I still really hope they don't get spoiled on some of the films on our list. Thankfully they're not online enough to know about most of the films we've picked.

Genuinely I cannot wait to see their reaction to the reveal of the whole concept behind The Matrix, for example
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2021 15:06:22 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Wayne

That meeting was in the trailer. Could have been an innocent question and not a knowing spoiler.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 15:16:33 24-03-2021
  • gamingdave 24 Mar 2021 15:25:37 5,052 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Many moons ago a mate posted an infographic explaining the species origin in Prometheus

I pointed out it was a bit of a spoiler (having not yet seen the film) and he promptly deleted it.

He then sent me a message along the lines of "Sorry about the spoiler, hope it's not as bad as the time I was queueing up for a midnight showing of The Elephant Man at the Prince Charles Cinema. Just as we were all about to go in this drunk guy turns the corner and shouts he dies at the end"

I hadn't seen The Elephant Man either.

It really shouldn't be hard in normal conversation though.

If someone says they have just started watching/reading/playing something you've finished you ask them where they are up to, not have you got to X bit yet.
  • ukaskew37 24 Mar 2021 15:25:38 322 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Personally, I don't really give a shit about spoilers. It's rare that knowing one will ruin an experience for me, because it can make it interesting to figure out how the thing is going to arrive at the spoilery bit. That, and if something can be completely ruined by a spoiler, it probably wasn't worth me watching it in the first place.
    I used to feel this way and would happily absorb any news/gossip about an upcoming movie/show I liked the sound of. Then I listened to a podcast where a guy won't even watch trailers, and he listed off a load of things he had no idea about until they happened in the cinema, and I wanted some of that.

I've had several years of that now and it's awesome. Pain in the butt avoiding trailers in the cinema but with not watching live TV or listening to radio any more it's pretty easy to cut yourself off entirely from even the most basic of information, the pay-off has been great. Admittedly having an unlimited cinema pass helps as it's harder to avoid rubbish.

Too many examples to list, but even small-ish things like going into 'Us' having seen nothing but a poster. I'm 99% certain I was the only one in the packed cinema that had absolutely no idea what was happening when some shadowy figures appeared on the driveway.

It basically turns everything up to 11, in a good way.

Edited by ukaskew37 at 15:27:57 24-03-2021
  • Your-Mother 24 Mar 2021 15:33:41 7,368 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ironically I find I give less of a shit if itís a film thatís designed around spoilers and twists. I have the ďitís the journey, not the destinationĒ attitude and if a film loses watchability simply because I know what happens at the end Iím not bothered about seeing it in the first place.
  • Load_2.0 24 Mar 2021 16:07:15 33,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Well at least Harry being Snapes son is still a secret.
  • CowsMakeNoise 24 Mar 2021 19:53:52 169 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    He then sent me a message along the lines of "Sorry about the spoiler, hope it's not as bad as the time I was queueing up for a midnight showing of The Elephant Man at the Prince Charles Cinema. Just as we were all about to go in this drunk guy turns the corner and shouts he dies at the end".
    Not sure that counts as a spoiler, bearing in mind itís a true story set during Victorian times. Would be like asking if theyíve seen an iceberg in Titanic.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2021 04:43:06 25,708 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ukaskew37 oh, I don't go actively seeking out trailers and spoilers for stuff, I just usually don't feel that negatively affected if I don't go in as fresh as the morning snow.

Like, I see plenty of things at film festivals that I know very little about beforehand, and that's nice. But usually I wouldn't care if I read a review that (for example) described a bit of the plot.

One exception, though, is the movie Audition, a romantic comedy which 100% is best seen knowing absolutely nothing about it going in. (And if you've somehow never heard of Audition, watch it! Just don't look it up!)

Edited by Mola_Ram at 04:43:52 25-03-2021
  • mrpon 25 Mar 2021 06:17:11 37,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BigOrkWaaagh wrote:
    Ffs, I genuinely didn't know you didn't know that, can you spoiler that plz.
  • Decks 25 Mar 2021 07:40:40 29,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember when someone spoiled the wrong word in something on here once so it was easy to work out what the spoiler was he was trying to hide. It was around the time Heavy Rain came out so I replied Scott Shelby is the origami killer and the whole forum exploded.

But yeah I hate spoilers in general, don't understand when people say they don't mind them. Surely discovering what happens in a story through the narrative itself is the most rewarding part of watching or reading something?
  • Zerobob 25 Mar 2021 07:49:56 2,937 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Years ago, I stopped visiting Polygon, Kotaku, and... well most websites actually, precisely because they have no problem putting spoilers in article headlines.
  • CowsMakeNoise 25 Mar 2021 08:09:43 169 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Itís the number of reviews that set out the plot in massive amounts of detail that wind me up. Thatís a recap; give me an idea of core systems for or how well itís been put together.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2021 11:03:10 25,708 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In fairness, I don't really know how, say, film reviewers are supposed to review a thing without talking about the plot at all. I get that spoiling twists and the like is a big no-no, but the definition of "spoiler" seems to be a lot broader than that right now.
  • JYM60 25 Mar 2021 11:57:34 18,909 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is Snape not actually good? I thought he was the traditional you think he's a bad cunt, but he saves the day and only acts bad out of necessity?

Wait, was Dumbledore actually the bad cunt??!
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.