Following Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 312

• KD 31 Jan 2020 19:28:32 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    quadfather wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50265414

Don't agree with the twat at the end about the specs, but still.
    The social aspects of this simply haven't been taken into account.

The selfie camera got 'normal' / narcissistic people to care about computers and smartphone tech.

VR is currently hard to fit into a 'normal' social setting - just like 3D television.

Half-life Alyx should be huge, but huge among loners with £1000+ to spend not going on holiday or doing other things.

It'll all happen in time, as the tech is still evolving, but it's the social side that needs looking at.

Covering your eyes in most environments is an absolute no-no - even at home if you live with other people.

If you're alone or among other geeks, then fine. It's just how it is. For now.

Cue a load of Eurogamer Forum opinion attacks, as opposed to intelligent discussion.
    Iphones are £1000+ now, but also wireless tech needs to come sooner, make a bet with a bookie if your sure, I know I wouldnt either way.

Edited by KD at 19:30:39 31-01-2020
  • INSOMANiAC 1 Feb 2020 13:56:34 4,674 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @KD I mean, you're acting as if the Quest doesn't even exist, and its one of the most social pieces of tech I've ever owned. I've had people who wouldn't go near a console or PC gaming playing it, young and old, to a room full of laughter.

Edit: I realise now I am replying to the wrong person but I don't care enough to change it

Edited by INSOMANiAC at 13:57:13 01-02-2020
  • KD 1 Feb 2020 14:09:37 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    hehe
  • KD 3 Feb 2020 19:59:03 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-moss-on-oculus-rift-store-3400506#comments

Moss for free, not for Quest for whatever reason.
  • Ryze 4 Feb 2020 00:42:40 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    @KD I mean, you're acting as if the Quest doesn't even exist, and its one of the most social pieces of tech I've ever owned. I've had people who wouldn't go near a console or PC gaming playing it, young and old, to a room full of laughter.

Edit: I realise now I am replying to the wrong person but I don't care enough to change it
    You have a very, very good point re untethered VR.

I'm just not sure how quickly I could use it anywhere other than home, office or an aircraft.

Well done, though. I stand corrected and nearly impulse bought a Quest recently.

I hope that Alyx instigates a golden era for top tier VR gaming experiences. It'd be nice to see some more VR missions and VR versions of games.
  • Ryze 4 Feb 2020 00:46:26 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KD

Absolutely Wireless tech is the big game changer I guess. Inside out tracking as well, to simplify the setup for 'normals'.

I struggle to see how the tech can fit into family settings, however. Perhaps it's about short sessions in the headset, shared experiences, or I could just be WRONG!

It might be good for us to disappear into another world for an hour or so, without having to even leave the room!
  • KD 4 Feb 2020 01:36:17 2,695 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Ryze I been hiding from the world and live alone so its seemed amazing since I already built a new pc and a open box Dell Visor cost £160, inside out tracking does help me keep it on my pc in a big living room and can set a big area and with it to imatate room scale quite well.

It needs a OLED screen, downward tracking like a quest and wireless if I'm to pay £400 ish in a new model someday. Spent quite a bit on software already and probably the most in a short time for years.
  • Ryze 5 Feb 2020 10:43:05 3,709 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KD wrote:
    @Ryze I been hiding from the world and live alone so its seemed amazing since I already built a new pc and a open box Dell Visor cost £160, inside out tracking does help me keep it on my pc in a big living room and can set a big area and with it to imatate room scale quite well.

It needs a OLED screen, downward tracking like a quest and wireless if I'm to pay £400 ish in a new model someday. Spent quite a bit on software already and probably the most in a short time for years.
    Sounds absolutely awesome, fella.

I want to be in Cancun / Jamaica / St. Lucia / Miami from April for a couple of weeks+

I could can the whole thing and head to City 17 instead...

Seriously.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Feb 2020 21:06:26 3,240 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So, Moss - amazing game. Charming and immersive. Top 10 for me. Oh and a PSA - humble have a cool VR deal which includes Moss, Gorn, Budget Cuts, Space Pirate Trainer, Superhot and a couple of others for £11.50. Shame I bought Moss before this deal but worth every penny. Here is a linky: https://www.humblebundle.com/games/vr-bundle?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_1_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2_c_vr_bundle

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 21:07:04 13-02-2020
  • Tomo 13 Feb 2020 21:53:40 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Aye, that is an amazing bundle. One of the best there has ever been. It's worth it for Moss alone given its usual price. With the rest of the games, it's an absolute no brainer.
  • quadfather 5 Mar 2020 12:21:12 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone with an index that's played Skyrim vr? How does it compare to the psvr one, if you have tried both?
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 17:08:30 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Index's are on sale by the way if anyone was after one and forgot about it. I think I got mine but it's in a sort of reserved / in process state. It has greyed out the order button for me and I've got email confirmation but who knows!
  • Carlo 9 Mar 2020 17:12:03 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They went up an hour earlier than people were expecting in the UK (5PM, not 6PM)

The button just changes to 'Ordered', and you have 7 days to complete the purchase.

For the EU, it looks like we will not get the hardware in time for the release.
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 17:20:53 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Says 2 to 4 weeks to be shipped, it says. That's fine by me

Yeah I was refreshing it near 5pm just in case as it was 10am PDT time in the US when it activated
  • Fake_Blood 9 Mar 2020 17:43:35 10,243 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ships in 7 to 9 weeks. Here In Belgium at least.
  • Carlo 9 Mar 2020 17:55:34 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mine's just gone from 3-5 weeks, down to 2-4 weeks.

/sexwee
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 18:09:43 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Ships in 7 to 9 weeks. Here In Belgium at least.
    That's harsh considering their European shipping depot is in tillborg!
  • Tomo 9 Mar 2020 18:10:30 17,639 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I ordered the Index Controllers at 1700 on the dot and it's saying 4-6 weeks. Waaaaaaahhhh. Gunna have to wait till after Alyx launch :(
  • Carlo 9 Mar 2020 18:21:20 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I ordered the Index Controllers at 1700 on the dot and it's saying 4-6 weeks. Waaaaaaahhhh. Gunna have to wait till after Alyx launch :(
    Check later, it might have improved ;)
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 19:45:11 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah check it again. Worth a try.

At 2-4 weeks, it'd have to be 2 weeks to just get it in time, but I'm ok to just wait until it comes. Since there's not much choice anyway :)
  • Tricky 9 Mar 2020 22:04:57 4,954 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    They went up an hour earlier than people were expecting in the UK (5PM, not 6PM).
    Nah you just forgot that the clocks went forwards in the U.S. on Sunday :-)

Mine started at 7-8 weeks, then 3-5, and now 2-4 weeks.
  • Carlo 9 Mar 2020 22:11:23 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Did anyone in the UK(/EU) get an immediate charge and shipping status?
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 22:30:31 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't
  • Tricky 9 Mar 2020 22:49:54 4,954 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    My mate did. Honestly Iíd love to know just exactly how many people clicked Order within 20 seconds of 5pm.
  • Carlo 9 Mar 2020 22:53:09 21,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    My mate did. Honestly Iíd love to know just exactly how many people clicked Order within 20 seconds of 5pm.
    I was reloading the page just prior to 5pm and hit order as soon as it changed...

Still ended up in the 2-4 week bracket (and was initially in the 3-5 weeks)
  • quadfather 9 Mar 2020 23:32:49 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, same - I waited until 4:59:58, refreshed and immediately clicked on order. Though to be fair, I did get a "oops, something went wrong" pop up, so had to go back again and order it again. In those 5-10 seconds I bet I probably ended missing out to scalper bots
  • uiruki 10 Mar 2020 05:55:33 5,155 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mine got charged (had to put in my CVV) and it says processing. Had an error confirming my address at first on my mobile, probably because I'd been flying back from abroad that day and had just picked up my luggage at 5. Got back home about half past and finished the process on my PC.
  • JoelStinty 10 Mar 2020 07:37:52 8,808 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tried Proper Vr for the first time the other night and came away generally impressed. Think it was a rift I tried, well it was definitely one of the oculus range.

Only tried a couple of things but it did what I expected it to do well - use of space and immersion. There was a tech demo thing where you went up in a lift to top of a skyscraper and had to walk a plank over a massive drop. I couldnít exit the lift : I hate heights and my body just wouldnít allow me to move. Other people say your body reacts as well when you are free falling.

Also tried a shitty horror experience thing where a doll would do some weird shit. Being in a room was neat but the experience was a bit shit - but someone else found it scary so...

Then tried beat sabre which was great. Pretty impressive how you become completely engaged in the game and the space it creates.

The tech is great, a bit of a faff To set up, but I certainly got its appeal. This myth as probably been dispelled by now but it did seem a bit eyetoy/move/Kinect in that it works well but seems limited to novel experiences.

I know thereís astro bot and resi 7 amongst others and I
    wonít lie I have had a search around for a deal on PSVR. Seems to be £300 at the moment and will wait till itís hits they £200 offer again. Quest seems to be completely out of stock too. Iím well up for a simple sword and shield/knightmare experience!

Edited by JoelStinty at 07:40:35 10-03-2020

Edited by JoelStinty at 07:41:48 10-03-2020
  • atothewest 10 Mar 2020 08:26:30 1,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JoelStinty I am looking to sell my PSVR if you're interested? It's in box and top condition (can send photos), including camera and headphones. I can bundle in Astro Bot, Skyrim and Resi 7 as well. DM me if you're keen.

In other news, the 64GB Quest came back in stock at Argos this morning - got straight on that!
  • quadfather 10 Mar 2020 08:49:19 36,416 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know what's happened with my index order as it didn't even ask me for my card details. Though I have got my card linked to my account so maybe it's just taking that as the payment when it's ready. Dunno.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.