Following Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 313

• MrWonderstuff 10 Mar 2020 10:18:18 3,238 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoelStinty Sounds like you tried Richie's Plank Experience - been meaning to get that to freak out new people. There are plenty of dungeon crawlers out there - I bought Asgards Wrath yesterday and that is definitely the sort of game you are talking about - Shield/sword/flame traps/undead/creepy dungeons etc. Only just started it but very immersive and visually impressive.Of course, Skyrim VR is one I have sunk 150 hours into which is pretty epic. Loads of others as well. VR is maturing well now with a crazy amount of top quality titles out there.

If you have more questions just fire away as we will all be able to offer advice/contradictions ;-).
  • cov 10 Mar 2020 10:21:51 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Beat me to it was going to suggest asgard :)

Interestingly i had my first experience at xmas courtesy of my twin 13 yo nephews who both got an occulus go. Was impressed even with that.

Also shows that VR is spreading- they got them because everyone in their class had one (well thats what they told my sister heh)
  • Tricky 10 Mar 2020 12:30:37 4,954 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @quadfather Sounds like you're on the waiting list like me then. Click this link and it will tell you how long you have to wait.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2020 18:55:32 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tricky

Funnily enough I just saw your post when I got an email.from steam 1 minute ago asking for me to put payment details in and shipping address.

Check your emails people!
  • Tricky 11 Mar 2020 21:49:52 4,954 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @quadfather Balls. Happy youíve been bumped up the queue, but my order has actually slipped again. Gone from 2-4 weeks to 3-5 :-(
  • JoelStinty 12 Mar 2020 08:30:54 8,798 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    atothewest wrote:
    @JoelStinty I am looking to sell my PSVR if you're interested? It's in box and top condition (can send photos), including camera and headphones. I can bundle in Astro Bot, Skyrim and Resi 7 as well. DM me if you're keen.

In other news, the 64GB Quest came back in stock at Argos this morning - got straight on that!
    Thanks for the offer, gave it a few days to think about it/research and like you I have decided to go for the Quest. Wireless and itís tracking/room boundary made it a obvious choice and it seems that a lot of developers are in on it as well so should have a steady supply of software.

The games on PSVR look great but I think after an Intial surge of playing on it, having to set it up would feel like hassle.

Still a little concerned Iíve just plunked 400 on a glorified
    set of tech demos but games like red matter swing it for me.

Anyway it should arrive Saturday and looking forward to getting to grips with it \o/

Edited by JoelStinty at 08:31:36 12-03-2020
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 09:26:39 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    @quadfather Balls. Happy youíve been bumped up the queue, but my order has actually slipped again. Gone from 2-4 weeks to 3-5 :-(
    Aw that's a bit wank. Then again someone else had it on 5 weeks and it went down again so you never know
  • cov 12 Mar 2020 09:30:35 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @JoelStinty

Make sure you get a usb c to usb 3 cable and also an extender as I think the official.occulus link cable is out of stock. Gotnto be careful as easy tonget wrong ones.

Opens up even more games - am loving mine
  • atothewest 12 Mar 2020 10:17:56 1,091 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JoelStinty no worries bud! I'll pop it up on ebay.

I'm confident you'll be happy with the Quest. I'd say it's one of the more impressive pieces of tech I've used for some time; extremely slick and the tracking is absolutely outstanding. Link was easy to set up and seems to work great as well.

edit: this was the cable I bought for linking https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Double-Braided-Nylon-Type-C/dp/B07D7NTNDK 3m long and seems to do the job just fine.

Edited by atothewest at 10:19:08 12-03-2020
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 10:55:27 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is a good guide for people setting up an index for the first time - https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bl0kx1/preparing_for_your_valve_index/
  • cov 12 Mar 2020 13:20:38 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @atothewest

Yup i gotnthat cable too... this extender works with it

UGREEN USB Extension Cable, USB... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FQ88CE6?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
  • uiruki 12 Mar 2020 15:16:46 5,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yep, that's the one I got. Works fine.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 17:05:00 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    This is a good guide for people setting up an index for the first time - https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/bl0kx1/preparing_for_your_valve_index/
    This is great. I really should wall mount my lighthouses... but ugh.
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 17:15:36 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo

Out of interest, where are yours setup? It's the only thing I've not worked out yet, as was going to mount them in corners, but if I don't have to, then all the better!
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 17:53:10 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather

I have one on a light stand and one nestling in a cupboard high up. It works, but if the light stand gets jogged between sessions, then the setup needs recalibrating. Or, to turn off the lighthouse properly I need to lower the stand and take the cable out. I'm using OG Vive and although you can get Steam to put them into a kind of standby mode, I prefer to just have them off a lot of the time. But again, requires recalibration.

Tbh, I'm tempted to just get a Rift S because the setup of the entire thing is the biggest barrier for me. The lighthouses are a faff for me because I have a tiny flat where I can't dedicate a room to this. I'd have been all in with the Rift S, but the sodding cable is still there. That's a real fucker. Thought it would've been solved by now, especially given the HTC wireless battery tech. But alas, we have another generation of tethered VR, albeit aside from the Quest, but then that is restricted to specific games.

If they can make the nextgen headsets truly wireless, then I think VR will be much better placed for mass appeal.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 17:54:23 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've got these (use them for photography when not in use for VR!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Photography-Reflectors-Umbrellas-Backgrounds/dp/B00WS9XSSC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=photography+light+stand&qid=1584035618&sr=8-4

They have 1/4 screw threads which is what the OG Vive lighthouses have in the bottom. Screw and go, so to speak.

Edited by Tomo at 17:55:29 12-03-2020
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 17:57:00 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo

Nice one, cheers for the info.

Yeah I was toying with the quest but then I'd read something that didn't fit, and then toy with the next one.

In the end, as I live on my own and have multiple rooms that I can do whatever in, I just thought fuck it, I'll make the box room a dedicated setup and permanently mount them. It's actually a much better room now it's cleared out so going with that.

Just need to get the index delivered now and see if all the wires are manageable with how I've setup the room.
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 17:58:43 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I've got these (use them for photography when not in use for VR!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Photography-Reflectors-Umbrellas-Backgrounds/dp/B00WS9XSSC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=photography+light+stand&qid=1584035618&sr=8-4

They have 1/4 screw threads which is what the OG Vive lighthouses have in the bottom. Screw and go, so to speak.
    Yeah I saw those in that article. If I had even more room I'd use them. I do photography a bit too - I wonder where I put my tripod! That might work too
  • dominalien 12 Mar 2020 18:01:32 9,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Just need to get the index delivered now and see if all the wires are manageable with how I've setup the room.
    Iíd say theyíre as manageable as can be. Each lantern plugs into a mains socket and the headset itself plugs into the computer. I play barefoot so I donít crush the headset cable with a shoe.

Edit: I think itís best to put the lanterns on a wall, preferably right above a mains socket. That way the cable doesnít get in the way and the setup never needs recalibrating.

Edited by dominalien at 18:03:59 12-03-2020
  • dominalien 12 Mar 2020 18:05:10 9,538 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    But, reading further back in the thread, you already know all that. :-)
  • quadfather 12 Mar 2020 18:07:23 36,410 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dominalien

Nice one, cheers for that.

Good thinking about the shoes. I saw a thing on Reddit where someone puts a mat down for his play area and pits a bottle top in the middle as a sort of braille for your feet to work out where the centre is.

Yeah, I've looked at the online install pdf and I've setup the room so that the 1st basestation is just above the power strip for the pc and I've got an extension lead ready for the one at the back
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 19:42:21 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    quadfather wrote:

Good thinking about the shoes. I saw a thing on Reddit where someone puts a mat down for his play area and pits a bottle top in the middle as a sort of braille for your feet to work out where the centre is.

I like this a lot. Not heard it before.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 19:42:53 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather

I think you'll have a blast with the Index. If you have a dedicated room, it's definitely the one to go for at the moment I think.
  • KD 12 Mar 2020 20:44:29 2,692 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I grab the mat from my front door and even tho smaller than needed is enough to be aware, Superhot I had so many close calls so resorted to that.
  • cov 12 Mar 2020 20:53:36 2,233 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    U lot are clever

/goes to front door
  • KD 12 Mar 2020 20:55:45 2,692 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've told my mother to keep an eye out for a bigger fluffy mat in the range of 1x2m, she looked at me stupid.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2020 20:57:28 17,630 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bwhaha
  • KD 12 Mar 2020 21:01:28 2,692 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've lived in my own house since 2001 and still cant get my head around buying stuff like that.
  • uiruki 13 Mar 2020 22:50:47 5,155 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Index came today. It really is a step beyond, not just in visuals but in sound. Picking up Boneworks it felt like shooting through ironsights was almost automatic compared to the Quest Link (framerate maybe?), and I went from a combined +12 sync compensation on Audica to -30 or so.

On the 1x2 mat, any reason why a yoga mat wouldn't be a reasonable alternative?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.