Following Virtual Reality a Reality? (Rift, Morpheus, Vive et al) Page 321

• docrob 31 May 2020 09:26:14 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    christourlord wrote:
    I tried Project Cars 2 after getting excited about VR racing games in this thread, but had to get a refund after just under an hour after suffering the worst (and only proper) motion sickness I've ever had in VR. Oh well!

Elite Dangerous is fine, DCS is fine (although I get a vertigo sensation from it a bit), HL:Alyx was totally fine. Boneworks made me feel slightly off, but I think it has so much inverse kinematic and weird movement stuff going on that it just generally made my body feel disconnected from my eyes in a very unpleasant way.
    I tried Project Cars 2 last night. Not a success. First, neither my wheel nor my VR would work at all. They did both start working after a bit, though I still donít know what I did differently.

When it started working, I spent ages trying to get my position in the game to match the position of my wheel in the real world. This was incredibly difficult. For some reason the game rendered itself 30 degrees to the right of my sitting position, and way above the driverís head. Adjusted the position and moved the wheel, then discovered that the position of the driver kept moving every time I entered a race (which I never did manage to solve).

Finally got everything working-ish, with a driving position that was close enough to my wheel position to be believable. At which point I got motion sickness. Not severely, but an unpleasant degree of nausea that still hadnít quite dissipated an hour later.

Hopefully I will have a similar experience to you and Iíll be fine with Elite: Dangerous. Havenít tried it yet. I also have Dirt Rally, so I could also give that a go at some point. I did briefly try the original Project Cars, but the VR put me in the footwell staring at the driverís feet, and I couldnít persuade it otherwise.
  • Fake_Blood 31 May 2020 10:33:56 10,367 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If this is your first vr headset, I would recommend holding off on the racing games for a week or two. The getting your vr legs things is real. What makes you sick is the fact that your eyes are telling your brain that youíre moving but your vestibular system says you are stationary.

When youíre starting to get nauseous, stop immediately.
    You might think you can power through it and it will get better if you keep playing, but it never does. It will get better after a couple weeks though.

Start playing roomscale games where you are doing the moving around yourself. Stuff the The Lab in steamVR.
    Half-Life Alyx is also very good, and after a while you can set the movement to continuous, so you walk around using the joysticks. Thatís probably a good way to get used to moving around whilst standing still.

Then for racing games, there is always a way the reset your seated position in the game, and you want to map that function to a button on your racing wheel. Basically you need to get on a comfortable position and look straight ahead, then press that button so you are also perfectly centered in your virtual car.

Also very important is your framerate. PC2 is a very nice looking game, but it needs to run at 80fps for your Rift S. And you want some overhead to be sure it never drops below that. Best thing is to go on youtube and find a video on how to set it all up correctly.

Personally I still prefer the first Assetto Corsa. Itís easy to get it running at high framerates, and the way the wheel feels in that game is just spot on. Itís kind of weird though in that all the menus are handled outside vr, then when the race starts you need to put on your headset. It also doesnít look as good as PC2, but like I said, it does run buttery smooth.
  • docrob 31 May 2020 15:14:01 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks, that sounds like good advice. I know why the motion sickness happens, but itís nice to know it may improve! It does make sense - after all, if you can find your Ďsea legsí then you should be able to learn to compensate for the VR disconnect too.

I didnít know about the reset button. Will check that out. I havenít bought Alyx yet (though I had planned to) but may do so in order to get a game where you can move around. The ones I have played so far rely on teleportation.
  • docrob 31 May 2020 17:49:49 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Lab downloading just now. Impressed that it is free!
  • KD 31 May 2020 18:10:09 2,722 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Strange with PC2, I have wiped my pc a couple of times and reinstalled and not had those problems, get searching for your set up online and see if others fixed it as it sounds a bit broken tbh, its one of the easier to start games for me.

HMD reset button in settings is essential in most sims that have non vr modes in them, never play sims without the positioning being spot on, I normally got to turn the lights on around me if I see any movement in the headset that I'm not doing myself, the inside out tracking works great if lighting is sufficent on my wmr.

I guess you got the software for your wheel running, for me its Logitech G Hub and if I use a controller on PC2 and switch over to wheel its not automatic and must be set in the settings.

This is how it runs for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSaaiSjs5lU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWk3SnqZfY

Personally I still prefer the first Assetto Corsa. Itís easy to get it running at high framerates, and the way the wheel feels in that game is just spot on. Itís kind of weird though in that all the menus are handled outside vr, then when the race starts you need to put on your headset. It also doesnít look as good as PC2, but like I said, it does run buttery smooth.
    I prefer AC but also like the main menu not being in VR as it lets me play longer, going through menu's in vr makes my eyes hurt (I have an issue with my eyes so that may be why).

Edited by KD at 18:13:03 31-05-2020
  • ChrisOTR 31 May 2020 20:32:52 1,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've played a few VR racers - my comfort seems pretty good in them - and it's such a shame how few people will try Driveclub VR as a result of the servers being turned off and it getting a bad reception on launch. It is absolutely cracking.
  • docrob 1 Jun 2020 01:18:29 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    The Lab downloading just now. Impressed that it is free!
    Had a great time mucking about in this tonight. It still uses teleportation though, apart from the secret shop in which you can walk around (I donít have quite that much space).
  • docrob 2 Jun 2020 00:05:30 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Started HL: Alyx and played for about 45 mins. Using free movement with the thumb stick. I donít feel sick, exactly, but I am faintly queasy. Bizarre that the illusion of movement is fine on a screen but suddenly an issue in a helmet! Hopefully itíll subside with repeated efforts.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Jun 2020 09:12:18 10,367 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I finally had some time these past days to play Half-Life:Alyx, itís astoundingly good.
    I really hope PlayStation releases this on their next PSVR because more people should get to play this.

Also, I really hate Jeff.
  • christourlord 2 Jun 2020 09:30:42 2,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I hope more people get to experience it, and not using a no-VR mod on the PC, as so much of the magic comes from inhabiting the awesome level and encounter design.

Valve have added a Jeff "stem" (for want of a better term) to the SDK, to make it easier for modders to make their own Jeff content. Looking forward to trying some of that out! I don't know how far off multiplayer Alyx mods are, but co-op Jeff sneaking could be really tense and fun.
  • christourlord 2 Jun 2020 09:31:15 2,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Or even pvp Jeff luring. Throwing bottles near your enemy to lure Jeff to their location.
  • ChrisOTR 2 Jun 2020 09:37:10 1,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Jeff was definitely the highlight of HL:Alyx for me. The level of tension was just right. In VR it's so easy to make things *too* scary with jump scares etc, but it felt considered and balanced.

Speaking of jump scares in VR, screw those "requires two hands to open" doors in Alyx.
  • Benno 2 Jun 2020 09:39:41 11,723 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone new to VR: do yourselves a favour and try Google Earth VR. It's great
  • ChrisOTR 2 Jun 2020 09:54:23 1,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Benno Yes! One of the most genuinely incredible things in VR, for me.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Jun 2020 09:54:34 10,367 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChrisOTR wrote:
    Jeff was definitely the highlight of HL:Alyx for me. The level of tension was just right. In VR it's so easy to make things *too* scary with jump scares etc, but it felt considered and balanced.

Speaking of jump scares in VR, screw those "requires two hands to open" doors in Alyx.
    The part inside the lift was confusing though. Was it really hitting the button at the right moment that did it?
    I also like the resin gameplay loop, really makes you look in every corner of the game world.
    My only gripe is that more stuff should be interactive. Spray cans should spray, lighters should light.

High hopes for the SDK though. Or even a complete sourceVR.
  • docrob 3 Jun 2020 12:32:32 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Urgh. Played another half hour of Alyx. Have the faint queasiness again. Not sure whether I should persist with it, in the hope that it will improve with repeated exposure, or give in and stop using free movement. The free movement is really important for me for the immersion though. Hopping from place to place doesn't feel right at all.
  • Tricky 3 Jun 2020 13:29:40 4,974 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wouldn't push it. Once you've played VR a lot more you may want to go back and try it, but some people never get over it (like me). Shift works really well so that it at least looks like you're moving and not just blinking from place to place.
  • christourlord 3 Jun 2020 14:11:42 2,766 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I played half of Alyx using shift and still thought it was amazing. Free move certainly makes it feel more like a Half-Life game, but it does also make it feel weirdly sluggish and I had a few moments of feeling very precarious and slightly nauseous when I did a weird head movement at the same time as moving up a staircase or something.

It's definitely a less physically off-putting experience using blink or shift movement.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Jun 2020 15:14:51 10,367 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use both. Free movement but when I need to get somewhere fast I teleport.

Like I said, if you feel queasy stop playing. Try again some other day. It does get better for most people, but weíre talking a couple of weeks, not days.
  • ChrisOTR 3 Jun 2020 15:15:57 1,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @docrob Maybe you saw me saying this before - if so sorry - but, if not - I found that once I disabled joystick turning entirely and switched to physically turning, then continuous movement became comfortable for me. It might be worth a try...
  • docrob 3 Jun 2020 21:39:42 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ChrisOTR wrote:
    @docrob Maybe you saw me saying this before - if so sorry - but, if not - I found that once I disabled joystick turning entirely and switched to physically turning, then continuous movement became comfortable for me. It might be worth a try...
    Weirdly, I was reading up on this earlier, and read several posts from people saying that they found the smooth turning the worst thing of all!

Iím going to try short intermittent bursts. If that doesnít do the trick then Iíll try shifting.
  • Fake_Blood 3 Jun 2020 22:36:35 10,367 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With physical turning he means you turning around in your play space. So you walk forward and sideways with the joystick but you do the turning yourself. The problem there is your headsetís cable will get tangled.
  • docrob 3 Jun 2020 23:18:30 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    With physical turning he means you turning around in your play space. So you walk forward and sideways with the joystick but you do the turning yourself. The problem there is your headsetís cable will get tangled.
    Ahh! I see. Yes, cabling will be an issue. Iíve been trying to play sitting down as I have heard that also helps.
  • dominalien 3 Jun 2020 23:38:02 9,597 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I get queasy from smooth movement and I thought it would be a serious obstacle to enjoying HLA. I was wrong, it's 100% amazing with teleportation and snap turning. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything at all.
  • docrob 4 Jun 2020 00:06:14 1,565 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, I've just had a 30-min session without any ill effects at all. I was moving around pretty gingerly, to be fair, but I wasn't careering around wildly this morning either. Baby steps...
  • KD 4 Jun 2020 01:04:20 2,722 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try the free movement games while sitting down, I got to do that for a bit before getting comfortable again if I haven't played any for a while.

Edited by KD at 01:04:30 04-06-2020
  • HairyArse 4 Jun 2020 09:12:11 1,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm thinking of getting rid of my HTC Vive with Deluxe Audio Strap and tripods. I love it, don't get me wrong, it's I just don't ever use it and it's a hassle to setup.

What do we think is reasonable to ask? I'd like £450ish but not sure if that's too high.
  • Bichii 4 Jun 2020 09:13:12 3,045 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You're so filthy rich you could just sell it cheap as a good will gesture. :)
  • HairyArse 4 Jun 2020 09:23:38 1,409 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ha, whatever. Us peasant Northerners don't even have fast internet or colour TVs yet.
  • ChrisOTR 4 Jun 2020 11:20:09 1,630 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Yeah, that's exactly what I meant :) For me it seems to be the best way to play.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.