Funny Letter

First Previous
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 14:04:32 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just got sent this email from one of my mates that works at MS doing email contact -

I would like to register my disgust at the report that Gotham Racing 2 will feature Edinburgh streets. I DO NOT wish a product like this which 'allows' people to drive at 150mph past my home. Please explain how you justify this. Can we have a game for driving recklessly around Bill's mansion?

It's amazing what some people get angry at!!

Edited by JabbaDaHut at 14:04:52 14-11-2002
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Nov 2002 14:24:09 48,222 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Arf arf! :-D
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 14:25:46
    This is an unethical breach of trust and most likely copyright as well. Still, they do ask a fair question and it's not something people should get their titters off.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 14:30:54 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    This is an unethical breach of trust and most likely copyright as well. Still, they do ask a fair question and it's not something people should get their titters off.

Oh my lord! Dude you need to lighten up just a tad
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 14:31:03 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    This is an unethical breach of trust and most likely copyright as well

No. Definitely not a breach of copyright. And not even a breach of trust, as it is anonymized.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 14:31:42 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    This is an unethical breach of trust and most likely copyright as well

No. Definitely not a breach of copyright. And not even a breach of trust, as it is anonymized.
    I thank you...
  • DocX 14 Nov 2002 14:35:10 1,963 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Can we have a game for driving recklessly through Bill's mansion?
  • Blerk Moderator 14 Nov 2002 14:38:45 48,222 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago

I reckon that'd make a better FPS. :-)
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 14:39:15
    UncleLou wrote:

Oh, most definately a breach of copyright, and anonymisation isn't a defence for breaching trust. I think it's fair to say that the customer who submitted it didn't want Microsoft staff emailing their comments to each other for giggles, and most certainly didn't want that comment sprayed around a public forum.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 14:45:08 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Oh, most definately a breach of copyright

Feersum, I do stuff like this this for a living, day-in and day-out, at least 8 hours a day, and it is not a breach of copyright. Hell no, it isn't.
  • ssuellid 14 Nov 2002 14:49:29 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I used to get some from Dells helpdesk years ago that were side splitting.

There was a quality one from some bloke who said that he had no problems moving the mouse but he couldn't double click fast enough with his big toe.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 14:51:53
    UncleLou wrote:
    Feersum, I do stuff like this this for a living, day-in and day-out, at least 8 hours a day, and it is not a breach of copyright. Hell no, it isn't.

Cut and paste of an email could only be excused if you can demonstrate fair use. In this instance I'd say it was highly arguable. A one liner witticism tacked onto the end of a copied communication is stretching it to say the least.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 14:52:34 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ssuellid, you're disgusting. He may have been a thalidomide victim for all you know. You're breaching the rights of the physically challenged here. ;-)
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 14:55:35 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Most government departments (certainly the one I used to work in) keep "nutter" drawers in which they file the barmier bits of correspondence received from the great unwashed. I'm really looking forward to the day when public disclosure laws allow the comedic gems contained therein to see the light of day. I can remember some beauties... Of course drafting replies to these letters was always the highlight of the working day, and usually a team effort down the pub at lunchtime.

One of the only good reasons to work as customer support ;)
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 14:56:35 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

I reckon that'd make a better FPS. :-)

Rockstar could do this!?!
  • ssuellid 14 Nov 2002 15:05:04 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Heres a few helpdesk stories

http://www.stevenwillingale.com/fun/helpdesk1.htm
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 15:09:00
    UncleLou,

Using reputation to back up an argument isn't useful when there isn't a credible history to back it up. I'd be most interested why you don't consider the distribution of an email sent in confidence a breach of copyright. Well reasoned argument and examples would stand a better chance of swaying my opinion.

otto wrote:
    Another classic Whitehall game is 'Hansard Bingo' where the challenge is to get a given word or phrase into Hansard (via a reply to a Parliamentary Question or in a ministerial statement or something read out to the House).

Heh. When I worked for a government "information gathering" department, I accidently received a fax in my office that clearly demonstrated a goverment minister had lied to the house. Ouch. The temptation to send a copy to the press was nearly overwhelming.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 15:13:16 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Heres a few helpdesk stories

http://www.stevenwillingale.com/fun/helpdesk1.htm

Ahh thank you Ssuellid - I'm your no 1 fan now!
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 15:15:34 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I think I can do without your indoctrination, and I didn't see you back up your comment why it should be a breach of copyright. You just said it was. And it always annoys me when people babble half-baked juristic stuff. Probably because I have to read stuff like this all day from my colleagues. And do it myself. :-)

Ok, it's not a breach of copyright because for the copyright to come into existence, you need a certain, hm, "artistic level", and according to the international copyright law, such a level is usually not reached by simply writing an e-mail (or a simple letter) of a few lines.

edit: the fact that it may have been sent confidential has nothing do do with copyright whatsoever

Edited by UncleLou at 15:32:38 14-11-2002
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2002 15:30:12 23,333 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    FB, teach me some HTML, I am dying to know how to do my job every day and up until this point my nearly three years of work in this field has been useless, I need your guidance :(
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 15:31:22 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Just ignore him Mr Sleep he lives and interesting world of his own that raises intresting questions when he pours out his Corn Flakes in the morning.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 15:33:20 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hehe - Well I didn't expect the post to turn into a law class that's for sure!
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 15:37:47
    UncleLou wrote:
    Ok, it's not a breach of copyright because for the copyright to come into existence, you need a certain, hm, "artistic level", and according to the international copyright law, such a level is usually not reached by simply writing an e-mail (or a simple letter) of a few lines.

Size is not a criterion for judging artistic merit. Think of the worlds shortest story, poem, or perhaps even some of Damien Hurst's dot paintings. If you're going to go down the route of artistic merit, the email is clearly an original work and neatly brings Bill Gates mansion into play. I still remain to be convinced this isn't a copyright breach.

the fact that it may have been sent confidential has nothing do do with copyright whatsoever

I never confused the two.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 15:39:24 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    And the beat goes on...
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2002 15:42:06 23,333 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    Just ignore him Mr Sleep he lives and interesting world of his own that raises intresting questions when he pours out his Corn Flakes in the morning.

Actually I think I will do that, I find his commentary quite insightful sometimes but I am just tired of him being overly contrary and not having any sense of humour...so *plonk*
  • jaa 14 Nov 2002 15:43:29 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    for the copyright to come into existence, you need a certain, hm, "artistic level"

Hmmm... I'm wondering how many posts in these threads comply to that...

:)
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 15:45:14 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I never confused the two.

And yet you wrote this:

why you don't consider the distribution of an email sent in confidence a breach of copyright

Length, of course, can't be the only criterion, but it's a good indication. According to your opinion, everything we write here in this forum would be copyrighted, too, huh? Anyhow, this is an unhealthy mixture of work and leisure for me here, so I just say: believe what you want, I can live with that.

edit: LOL. I wrote that before I saw jaa's comment.

Edited by UncleLou at 15:45:58 14-11-2002
  • ssuellid 14 Nov 2002 15:54:14 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Did you catch MetalDogs comment on the "DX9 beta released" thread on the main site?
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 15:55:05
    UncleLou wrote:
    I never confused the two. And yet you wrote this:

why you don't consider the distribution of an email sent in confidence a breach of copyright

Copyright is held by the author. A confidential communication does not come with any right or implied right to distribute copyright protected material. Without copyright it would only be a breach of trust. In this instance copyright and trust were breached.

Length, of course, can't be the only criterion, but it's a good indication. According to your opinion, everything we write here in this forum would be copyrighted, too, huh?

Yes.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.