Funny Letter Page 2

• JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 15:56:06 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:
    I never confused the two. And yet you wrote this:

why you don't consider the distribution of an email sent in confidence a breach of copyright

Copyright is held by the author. A confidential communication does not come with any right or implied right to distribute copyright protected material. Without copyright it would only be a breach of trust. In this instance copyright and trust were breached.

Length, of course, can't be the only criterion, but it's a good indication. According to your opinion, everything we write here in this forum would be copyrighted, too, huh?

Yes.

Right well never quote me please otherwise I may have to lawyer your ass :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:01:14 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Well, if copyright law was a simple as you believe it is, I'd be unemployed soon.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:04:18
    JabbaDaHut wrote:
    Right well never quote me please otherwise I may have to lawyer your ass :)

There's one catch, the implied contract between forum members that allows quoting for the purposes of comment. I would not have any problem with anyone quoting me outside of this forum as long as it was fair comment (which is something else) and they gave an appropriate credit.

Edited by Feersum Boundah at 16:04:50 14-11-2002
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:08:46 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    But as soon as he writes that he doesn't want to be quoted anymore, the implication is obsolete. Unless the terms of usage forbid this.
  • JabbaDaHut 14 Nov 2002 16:10:26 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    But as soon as he writes that he doesn't want to be quoted anymore, the implication is obsolete. Unless the terms of usage forbid this.

Hey UL - YOU can quote me if you want ;)
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 16:11:41 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Surely part of the copyright lies not only with the poster but with Eurogamer who are providing the forum.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:12:20 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    :-)
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2002 16:13:10 23,333 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Did you catch MetalDogs comment on the "DX9 beta released" thread on the main site?

Yep. Classic. Hand it to a woman to have such quality commentary :)
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:16:15
    UncleLou wrote:

Interesting. Fair comment would still apply though even if a poster forbid anyone else to directly quote them. That would ultimately be a matter of interpretation for the courts to decide. Extending terms of usage might be a useful step, although it might create other problems on the human right versus granted right issue.

sam_spade wrote:
    Surely part of the copyright lies not only with the poster but with Eurogamer who are providing the forum.

No. Author only.

Edited by Feersum Boundah at 16:17:11 14-11-2002
  • jaa 14 Nov 2002 16:16:22 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:

So can EG decide to publish the book "EuroGamers Most Obnoxious Posters" and include us without our consent? :)

Don't answer, UncleLou. Go buy GTA:VC.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:17:06 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago

Not really. The owner of the copyright can't be any other person than the author itself, basically.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:18:26
    UncleLou wrote:
    Not really. The owner of the copyright can't be any other person than the author itself, basically.

Gotcha! :)

Who says I don't have a sense of humour, eh?
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:19:44 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gotcha! :)

Hm?

edit: Remember I said that there is no copyright for certain things, like a short e-mail. If there was, the author would be the owner of the copyright.

Edited by UncleLou at 16:21:09 14-11-2002

Edited by UncleLou at 16:21:43 14-11-2002
  • ssuellid 14 Nov 2002 16:20:38 19,141 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    "Who says I don't have a sense of humour,eh?"

Lets save space and just hear from those that do. :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:35:05 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I must shyly admit I didn't quite get this specific comment.
    /me bows head in shame
  • jaa 14 Nov 2002 16:36:42 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    /me joins UncleLou
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 16:37:13 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    How about Feersum Boundah Bingo - a prize for the person who lures him into saying the daftest thing each day???
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:37:13
    UncleLou wrote:
    Remember I said that there is no copyright for certain things, like a short e-mail. If there was, the author would be the owner of the copyright.

Yup. The law is simple enough. But, you're dealing with an issue of interpretation. I need to see a little precedent before I start getting too excited about your opinion.

My interpretation is that the email was quoted in full, contained proveable artistic merit, and the original post contained nothing that would serve as a fair comment defense.

That raises the work above the level of a one liner post selected at random. In that respect I think you're correct to highlight the differing levels of legal protection offered to works posted to a forum.
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 16:40:26 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Otto - you never actually read Hansard did you? Best sleep potion ever made...
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:42:28
    otto wrote:
    I can't believe you're all talking about copyright law instead of picking up on my Hansard bingo comment. Where's the shocked outrage at the disrespect shown to the mother of parliaments?

So what? It's off-topic.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:43:42 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Yup. The law is simple enough

The written law maybe, but what I mean when I say "law" is the interpretation of the written law usually. And law is all about opinions, btw, but some opinions are devious nonetheless.

Feersum, I could link you to a lot of sites about copyright law, but they're all in German. Any use for you? (edit: no sarcasm)

Edited by UncleLou at 16:44:53 14-11-2002
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 16:51:33 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I'm in awe. Contributed to it in deed! I simply had to make use of it during an A-level, then degree in politics. Preferred mind bending debates on the nature of democracy and whether it was a good thing or not. Real politics always seemed to err on the side of boring...
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 16:52:58
    UncleLou wrote:
    The written law maybe, but what I mean when I say "law" is the interpretation of the written law usually. And law is all about opinions, btw, but some opinions are devious nonetheless.

Yes, I've had chats with a few lawyers about that.

I could link you to a lot of sites about copyright law, but they're all in German. Any use for you?

No. My German is shot to pieces.

As a sign of good faith, I'll give way on the issue of "artistic merit" being required for copyright protection to apply, and leave it in the realm of opinion as to whether a given work is protected. But, I'll still hold to the view that the original quoted email passes this hurdle. I think the useful lesson from this exercise is that rights and responsibilities hold true even though something takes place over the internet.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 16:59:15 40,158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago

Today, for example?

Btw, you gave a very good example on the problems of copyright law when you mentioned the minimalist art. One of the many controversial subjects in copyright law (whether minimalist art is copyrighted or not).

edit: it's often solved by granting it a copyright, but minimising the scope of protection

Edited by UncleLou at 17:00:31 14-11-2002
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 17:06:32 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Other side? Would that be The satanic legions of darkness. Or else the EU? One and the same according to the tabloids I understand...

Hansard related thought - the EU must then have an equivilent, in every language of the EU. Must be lots of big storage cabinets round your way.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 17:23:41
    UncleLou wrote:

Today, for example?

Yes, I suppose so.

Btw, you gave a very good example on the problems of copyright law when you mentioned the minimalist art. One of the many controversial subjects in copyright law (whether minimalist art is copyrighted or not). it's often solved by granting it a copyright, but minimising the scope of protection

That seems like a reasonable measure that prevents copyright blocking the creation of new expressions of an idea while protecting the endevours of an artistically disputed work.
  • jaa 14 Nov 2002 17:23:55 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto: you could skip the stupid ones - like spanish.

(Maybe I shouldn't post this. Oh, what the hell, they don't understand english anyway...)

Edited by jaa at 17:24:22 14-11-2002
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 17:24:37
    Hansard etcetera deserves its own topic.
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 17:27:50 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It's as on topic as copyright law...

And about as interesting...
  • jaa 14 Nov 2002 17:29:26 962 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I definitely don't like the forum...

Edited by jaa at 17:29:41 14-11-2002

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.