Funny Letter Page 3

  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 17:31:23
    Jos wrote:
    It's as on topic as copyright law...

    No. The discussion of copyright law is directly related to the posting of the quoted email in a public forum. Discussion of Handard has nothing to do with this even in the most peripheral of senses.
  • Jos 14 Nov 2002 17:32:57 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Or the Spanish by the sounds of it...

    I shouldn't throw stones, I'm from Somerset.

    EDIT: Thanks for clarifying that for me FB. Silly old me for having an opinion. Much easier when you have divine right on your side.

    If you're not careful, I'll get Otto to start reciting Hansard to you, in Spanish. Oh god, my mind boggles at the trouble we'll be in for breaking Queen's copyright. Or will it be okay if we only put it in little chunks of email...

    Edited by Jos at 17:40:39 14-11-2002
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 19:33:13 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    See otto, you're a moderator at heart. And quite correct, it's not like there were going to be more than a few posts on Hansard and much of the posts were, who the hell is he? Better to leave it in the thread.

    Edited by sam_spade at 19:33:23 14-11-2002
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 20:19:43
    otto wrote:
    Where the hell does it say we can go off topic on a game comments thread but not on a forum thread? I like talking about Hansard but not enough to start a new thread on the topic.

    Why not? It would make a pleasant change to an otherwise non-stop diet of game and technical related topics. In my mind this would make a stronger commitment to Eurogamers diversity and creativity of opinion than the current "bed-blocking."

    This is one of the reasons I'm not keen on an OT forum - I like seeing where a conversation leads if you let it develop naturally, it seems too contrived to start a new thread every time you want to go off at a tangent.

    What you see as natural thread development can look like irrelevant ramblings to others.

    As far as I'm concerned, wandering off here there and everywhere is part of the EG comments culture.

    So is slagging people off. But, I'm not taking part in that either. The difference between the comments and the forum is that comments didn't allow you to start your own topic while a forum does.

    If a Eurogamer feature isn't interesting or worthy enough of attention there's a compelling drive to talk about something else. If you don't like a topic in a forum you can ignore it and create your own.
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 20:36:17 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    If you want to make a thread on Hansard then make one, don't sit their whining about it.

    And if you don't like the EG culture, don't come here or get used to it.
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 20:53:36 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    What you see as natural thread development can look like irrelevant ramblings to others.

    This doesn't seem to be a problem to anyone but you. I'd leave EG if it had a strict on-topic policy, and I wonder what you imagine trying to capture this or any other thread. You take yourself too seriously, and you seem to completely lack the ability to reflect on yourself. In my opinion, that's extremely immature. It's sad somehow, cause you are certainly not a stupid person.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 20:56:37
    sam_spade wrote:
    If you want to make a thread on Hansard then make one, don't sit their whining about it. And if you don't like the EG culture, don't come here or get used to it.

    If YOU don't agree with an opinion why don't YOU start a thread discussing the topic, instead of whining about it? If YOU can't stand a mature difference of opinion why don't YOU go somewhere else? If YOU want to pollute Eurogamer with FLAMES, TROLLS, and THREAD HIJACKING, why don't YOU make more posts like that?

    Pfff.

    UncleLou wrote:
    This doesn't seem to be a problem to anyone but you. I'd leave EG if it had a strict on-topic policy, and I wonder what you imagine trying to capture this or any other thread.

    Funny, I thought Eurogamer was about diversity and creativity of opinion. Random ramblings don't cut it in my book.

    You take yourself too seriously, and you seem to completely lack the ability to reflect on yourself. In my opinion, that's extremely immature. It's sad somehow, cause you are certainly not a stupid person.

    I think it's extremely immature that a few people can't discuss anything in a reasonable and mature fashion, and hold their ego's in check, when someone elses opinion cuts across the grain. Why is it that people who can't hold an opinion keep attacking the person? Somehow I think they're the ones taking themselves a little too seriously. Now that is really sad.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 21:07:56 14-11-2002
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 21:05:40 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Because I don't have a problem with the current climate. YOU (I didn't realise it was all capitals) apparently do and you keep on whining about it when you know full well that people are quite happy to just shoot the breeze.

    If YOU can't stand a mature difference of opinion why don't YOU go somewhere else?

    I can deal with a mature difference, I can't stand childish crying (that'd be YOUR crying, if there was any doubt in your mind) because somethings may have drifted off-topic rather than being wrenched off-course.

    If YOU want to pollute Eurogamer with FLAMES, TROLLS, and THREAD HIJACKING, why don't YOU make more posts like that?

    Because you do more than enough.






    Edited by sam_spade at 21:06:32 14-11-2002
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 21:14:05
    sam_spade wrote:
    Because I don't have a problem with the current climate. YOU (I didn't realise it was all capitals) apparently do and you keep on whining about it when you know full well that people are quite happy to just shoot the breeze.

    Yeah, well I'm quite happy to knock opinions around without fragile ego's whining like babies because they've been smacked on the nose.

    I can deal with a mature difference, I can't stand childish crying (that'd be YOUR crying, if there was any doubt in your mind) because somethings may have drifted off-topic rather than being wrenched off-course.

    I keep pretty much on topic, and have even started a new thread when it drifted too far. I'd do it even more if the inertia of Eurogamer wasn't acting like a ball and chain.

    Because you do more than enough.

    Yeah, right. I'm the one running around slagging people off and bringing topics into threads that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic title. Don't think so. Take a look at some of the loudest whiners and that's where you'll find all the bad behavior is really coming from.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 21:14:30 14-11-2002
  • sam_spade 14 Nov 2002 21:26:08 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I'm not going to discuss this further because as time has proved: you are about as capable of accepting someone elses point of view as a fish is getting to the moon under its own steam.
  • Deleted user 14 November 2002 21:35:13
    sam_spade wrote:
    I'm not going to discuss this further because as time has proved: you are about as capable of accepting someone elses point of view as a fish is getting to the moon under its own steam.

    Not at all. I recently gave way to UncleLou on a point of argument when we were discussing copyright. What I don't accept are half-baked points of argument that don't provide a compelling reason to change an opinion. Getting me to accept a point of view that isn't credible is very difficult.

    Being smiles when someone agrees with you is one thing, smiling when someone doesn't is another. I'm happy to treat people with civility in either case. I don't think a few others have been as equally generous, and is the biggest reason why the Eurogamer forum is sliding into mediocrity.

    Edited by Feersum Boundah at 21:35:39 14-11-2002
  • UncleLou Moderator 14 Nov 2002 23:31:56 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Feersum, in Germany there's the proverb "Der Ton macht die Musik", which means as much as "It's the sound that makes the music". In other words, the problems that always arise are, imo, not what you say, but how you say it. I was a bit harsh at the beginning of our copyright discussion, but I can't say I didn't enjoy it in the end, and it's not like you had no clue what you are talking about. BUT - and that's a big but - you slag people down - without obviously realising it (at least I hope so, or else it would be even worse)- with your attitude. It's true that your comments are - for the most part - not insulting per se (ie you use no per se insulting words), but you nevertheless come across as extremely patronising. Your comments are even somehow clever in that respect - insult people with your attitude, but make it hard to prove. this doesn't refer to the discussion we had, but to your comments afterwards, for example. You've been told that again and again, but I haven't seen any willingness on your side to think about it. That's what I meant when I wrote it seems you lack the ability to reflect on yourself. Instead, you come to the conclusion everybody is against you because you were right - again! - and all the others were wrong. All the others, notabene, that usually get along quite well, even if their opinions differ. And - I am sorry to say that - you do poison the forum here. Noone here has ever been forced to have a certain opinion, or been put down just because he has a different opinion, and yet you use your opinions as an excuse why people react to you the way they do. I just don't get it.

    edit: Phew, that really required some editing. My longest post, I think, and it's late ;-)


    Edited by UncleLou at 23:37:13 14-11-2002
  • Khab 15 Nov 2002 00:00:14 6,583 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Er.. ok, I just wanted to post this for otto's enjoyment, and say that on the topic of govs getting silly letters, that might be interesting here in Sweden. See, we have something called the "public access law" (or whatever in translation), which says that any public office's mail and docs are public. Yes, that includes EVERYONE, which caused Jaques Delors (or was it Santer? Oh whatever.) some trouble a few years ago when he sent a letter whining about something to our PM - some journo got hold of it and naturally published it. Delors didn't come out looking very dignified when he starting going raving mad about our PM "leaking" to the press... He hadn't done 'is homework.

    Oh, and I suppose that's a sort of interesting case in the discussion of copyright as well, isn't it? :)
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 08:40:27 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Bloody 'ell...Leave this thread overnight and look what happens! To UL and FB - Cheers! ;)
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 09:49:48 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    otto wrote:
    FB, I think you're going to have to accept that you seem to be going against majority opinion here as regards the way EG forum culture should develop. You seem to be coming in from a lot of criticism from many regulars, and there's no smoke without fire - perhaps you should step back and examine your own posting style. Of course you have a voice and the right to exercise it, but you yourself said a while ago that we should wait to see how the dust settles and allow the EG forum to find its own level. It seems to be doing that. You may not like the way it's going, but that's 'democracy'.

    Personally I find myself agreeing with you more often than not, though I'd have to side with those who find your sense of humour a little difficult to locate. You're an important contributor to the forum, but couldn't you please just loosen up a bit? When I post I try to make my points with humour, respect the opinions of others, and I try to display a bit of humility. I'm not saying I always succeed, but I try. It's an approach that seems to work, on the whole *hint hint*.

    Excellent post Otto! 100% agree...
  • Deleted user 15 November 2002 11:10:07
    otto,

    You're correct in identifying that I post with a ruthless, machine like, efficciency. As with my discussion with UncleLou that touched on the copyright aspects of some minimalistic art, you must agree it's ultimately a matter of interpretation how posts may be interpreted.

    I'm here to discuss "stuff" not jerk other peoples cord. If they want to continue doing that they'll find themselves on my ignore list along with those who can't behave in a civil fashion.

    This will not change and is my final word on this matter.
  • Killerbee 15 Nov 2002 11:19:46 5,015 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Feersum Boundah wrote:
    you must agree it's ultimately a matter of interpretation how posts may be interpreted.
    You're right. No one can argue with that one. ;)
  • Jos 15 Nov 2002 11:22:29 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Scary image alert: Feersum jerking Otto's cord.

    I post with a sad, pathetic child like, immaturity.
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 11:24:01 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Jos wrote:
    Scary image alert: Feersum jerking Otto's cord.

    I post with a sad, pathetic child like, immaturity.

    But funny as hell - something I was attempting to do before the lawyer took over...(I guess I failed eh?)
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Nov 2002 11:25:04 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Sorry for that, Jabba. ;-)
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 11:34:04 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Sorry for that, Jabba. ;-)
    Hehe - Like Otto says - some of the best posts wander off topic and can lead to some very good conversations. Besides you didn't start it!
  • MrWorf 15 Nov 2002 13:01:00 63,798 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Razz's life as a software developer:
    A guy rings tech support to report that his computer is faulty.
    Tech: What's the problem?
    User: There is smoke coming out of the power supply.
    Tech: You'll need a new power supply.
    User: No, I don't! I just need to change the startup files.
    Tech: Sir, the power supply is faulty. You'll need to replace it.
    User: No way! Someone told me that I just needed to change the startup files and it will fix the problem! All I need is for you to tell me the
    command.
    Ten minutes later, the User is still adamant that they are right. The tech is frustrated and fed up.
    Tech: Sorry, Sir. We don't normally tell our customers this, but there is an undocumented DOS command that will fix the problem.
    User: I knew it!
    Tech: Just add the line LOAD NOSMOKE.COM at the end of the CONFIG.SYS. Let me know how it goes.
    Ten minutes later.
    User: It didn't work. The power supply is still smoking.
    Tech: Well, what version of DOS are you using?
    User: MS-DOS 6.22.
    Tech: That's your problem there. That version of DOS didn't come with NOSMOKE. Contact Microsoft and ask them for a patch that will give
    you the file. Let me know how it goes.
    One hour later.
    User: I need a new power supply.
    Tech: How did you come to that conclusion?
    User: Well, I rang Microsoft and told him about what you said, and he started asking questions about the make of power supply.
    Tech: Then what did he say?
    User: He told me that my power supply isn't compatible with NOSMOKE.
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 13:37:04 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Class little Urban legend that...:)
  • MrWorf 15 Nov 2002 13:41:30 63,798 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Gah! Rumbled... :(
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 13:43:48 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Gah! Rumbled... :(
    Ahh sorry bud- hehehe!
  • Jos 15 Nov 2002 13:51:00 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    It'll be the old CD/coffee cup holder next...

    PS

    Don't say Candyman 3 times though - you just never know. And don't be saying the old Candyman ledgend is just an urban myth. I know plenty of well educated people who simply refuse to say Candyman at all, so ther... Oh my God. What have I done.. No no, stay back, no please - what d'ya mean it works with ema_AAAAAAAHHHHGGGGG


    glurp/splat/eikkes.

    I'M OUT THERE. LISTENING FOR YOU. HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAA! (CM)

    Edited by Jos at 13:52:27 15-11-2002
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 13:55:56 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hehehe Jos you need help mate :)
  • JabbaDaHut 15 Nov 2002 14:00:07 651 posts
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Jos 15 Nov 2002 14:10:44 712 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Damn those evil monsters from beyond the grave.

    I did notice his shirt had a name tag on it with the words Feersum Boundah writ large.

    Really FB - it is taking this whole thread far too seriously when you start dabling in the black magiks...
  • MrWorf 15 Nov 2002 14:19:07 63,798 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    ROFLOL! =8>
    ROFLMAO! =8>

    Hahahahahahahahaahahhahahahahahaha!!
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.