Funny Letter Page 4

Next Last
  • Deleted user 15 November 2002 20:50:21
    otto wrote:
    I can't believe you're all talking about copyright law instead of picking up on my Hansard bingo comment. Where's the shocked outrage at the disrespect shown to the mother of parliaments?

No-one cares about New Labour's disrespect to the mother of all parliaments (briefing / 'leaking' to mates in the media) and I'm sure the Tories were as bad.

At least your mate was actually making an effort and genuinely thinking about what he said to parliament.

And that puts him one up on Mr Prescott.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Most government departments (certainly the one I used to work in) keep "nutter" drawers in which they file the barmier bits of correspondence received from the great unwashed. I'm really looking forward to the day when public disclosure laws allow the comedic gems contained therein to see the light of day. I can remember some beauties... Of course drafting replies to these letters was always the highlight of the working day, and usually a team effort down the pub at lunchtime.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I wish I could rediscover that list of helpdesk complaints compiled by someone somewhere. It had gems such as "my fax software won't work, I hold the piece of paper up against the screen and click send but nothing happens" etc. Also the one about the guy whose computer kept crashing, disk read errors, etc, and only when the sent someone did they find out the problem - fridge magnets on the casing. Etc etc.

Another classic Whitehall game is 'Hansard Bingo' where the challenge is to get a given word or phrase into Hansard (via a reply to a Parliamentary Question or in a ministerial statement or something read out to the House). I remember one recent competition won by my friend Paul who successfully got three separate Sham 69 track titles into Hansard (don't ask me which ones).
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I can't believe you're all talking about copyright law instead of picking up on my Hansard bingo comment. Where's the shocked outrage at the disrespect shown to the mother of parliaments?
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not only have I read it, I have sometimes contributed to it. And yes, a better cure for insomnia has yet to be invented.

For the non-British guys, sorry, Hansard is the official record of proceedings in the British Parliament including transcripts of debates and answers to questions from parliamentarians.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Nothing to be in awe of, most civil servants in policy jobs in Whitehall end up contributing to Hansard one way or another - usually via boring replies to written PQs. Hence the attempt to spice things up by sneaking in pop culture references etc. Anyway, that was all a few years ago, I'm working for the other side now. :)
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yeah, EU. We have an Official Journal where all legislation etc is published. Doesn't do Parliament transcripts though, that's separate (you can get them online for example). The OJ certainly takes up enough cupboard space on its own, especially if you take into account the different language versions...
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Where the hell does it say we can go off topic on a game comments thread but not on a forum thread? I like talking about Hansard but not enough to start a new thread on the topic. This is one of the reasons I'm not keen on an OT forum - I like seeing where a conversation leads if you let it develop naturally, it seems too contrived to start a new thread every time you want to go off at a tangent. As far as I'm concerned, wandering off here there and everywhere is part of the EG comments culture.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    FB, I think you're going to have to accept that you seem to be going against majority opinion here as regards the way EG forum culture should develop. You seem to be coming in from a lot of criticism from many regulars, and there's no smoke without fire - perhaps you should step back and examine your own posting style. Of course you have a voice and the right to exercise it, but you yourself said a while ago that we should wait to see how the dust settles and allow the EG forum to find its own level. It seems to be doing that. You may not like the way it's going, but that's 'democracy'.

Personally I find myself agreeing with you more often than not, though I'd have to side with those who find your sense of humour a little difficult to locate. You're an important contributor to the forum, but couldn't you please just loosen up a bit? When I post I try to make my points with humour, respect the opinions of others, and I try to display a bit of humility. I'm not saying I always succeed, but I try. It's an approach that seems to work, on the whole *hint hint*.
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    rightyho then

o_O
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.