PC vs Console Gaming, Your opinion Page 2

• Deleted user 21 November 2013 20:45:48
    magicpanda wrote:
    I GLOL'd for at least a full minute at this
  • DarmokJalad 21 Nov 2013 20:53:26 63,769 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @the_dudefather t's called glitch art. A whole subreddit full of them here: http://www.reddit.com/r/BrokenGifs

Edited by Razz at 20:55:40 21-11-2013
  • Dombat 21 Nov 2013 20:56:00 1,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure I've submitted essays at university shorter than that first post.
  • BeardedGamerUK 21 Nov 2013 20:56:32 2,184 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like PC gaming wins then :D
  • Dirtbox 21 Nov 2013 20:56:48 91,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 21:34:41
  • Dirtbox 21 Nov 2013 21:55:53 91,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • thedaveeyres 21 Nov 2013 22:14:13 13,913 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You know what I like? Cakefarts.
  • Carlo 21 Nov 2013 22:18:54 21,204 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When I bought a new PC, it wasn't backwards compatible with all my old games so I had to keep both of them.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Nov 2013 23:07:17 15,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yea, back compat issues are just as much of a problem with PC as with consoles. Windows has a "compatibility" option so you can choose to run a program as if your Windows were XP or 3.1 or 2000 or whatever.

Sadly, that feature doesn't do anything whatsoever. What doesn't run in Vista/7/8 normally doesn't run in compat mode either. It really does nothing at all, in my experience.
  • BeardedGamerUK 22 Nov 2013 00:07:50 2,184 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No PC compatibility problems for me. GOG and Steam sorts that out :)
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 00:07:58 91,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Moot_Point 22 Nov 2013 00:13:41 5,530 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    BeardedGamerUK wrote:
    No PC compatibility problems for me. GOG and Steam sorts that out :)
    This^

And I play the majority of games on my laptop. Not had any compatibility issues.
  • Widge Moderator 22 Nov 2013 00:22:14 13,858 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only Fallout 3 has been a turd for compatibility.
  • drhickman1983 22 Nov 2013 00:27:18 6,610 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I could afford onw of the new consoles I'd rather put the money towards a PC. But there's a (I'm guessing / hoping) minority of PC gamers who post on sites like Eurogamer who almost put me off the notion of PC gaming entirely.

Thus far consoles have worked out cheaper for me. Never been an early adopter, I bought my 360 for 160 5 years ago. PC games are cheaper, but I don't buy enough games to cover the hardware cost.

Edited by drhickman1983 at 00:27:47 22-11-2013

Edited by drhickman1983 at 00:28:12 22-11-2013
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 00:52:02 91,337 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 00:53:59
    @Dirtbox Go have a look at that Lightboost thread I just created, will knock your socks off. I would link but am on the mobile app so erm..... Cant.
  • beastmaster 22 Nov 2013 01:01:54 20,450 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do love my console gaming but a gaming PC is a must for next year.

With GTA V, Titanfall and Elite: Dangerous with OR support is just too much to resist. Even if the latter two disappoint, there's plenty others to choose from. Get me some proper RTS games too and access to a lot more Indie games.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 01:08:18
    I'm a graphics whore but my days of sitting in a room on my own in front of a monitor are over. I much prefer the comfy sofa and big TV. Also cheaters in multiplayer get on my nerves and keyboard and mouse is a bit awkward on the sofa. Controllers are useless for PC Battlefield so fuck that.

Give me as close as possible to PC experience on my sofa with a comfortable controller and I'm good. Years ago this was the 360 and partly the reason I actually sold my PC. Microsoft have clearly fucked it with the XBO so for the first time since the PS1 playstation here I come.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 01:19:24
    jabberwoky wrote:
    You can sell your console games, or lend them out, you own them. You cannot do that with PC games and you do not own them, they are reliant on servers and riddled with DRM. PC gamers seem relaxed about that and have got what they deserved. Console gamers gave microsoft the order of the boot when they tried it on, and they are getting what they deserve for having some spine.
    This is what I don't get, people chomping at the bit for the [s]DRM/no secondhand[/s] digital future. Fair play to Valve though, they made DRM cool and people lapped it up.
  • DodgyPast 22 Nov 2013 03:53:49 9,339 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Because there's not a single game on the PC I'm unable to play even if Steam disappeared overnight. I'd just torrent the cracked version.

Not only does the PC do 99% of its back catalogue it also covers most games before the 360 on other platforms.

I can't see why for example I wouldn't prefer Dark Souls or any other game at 1080p60 to the current consoles and my PCs going to do better than the new generation with a 3 year old processor and 1 year old 200 quid graphics card.

But as others say it not an either or decision, I have a Wii and a PS3 for some exclusives and I'll get a PS4 once I can grab a cheap back catalogue of exclusive games.

Personally it's the cloud stuff that worries me the most because that will kill backwards compatibility.
  • Phattso 22 Nov 2013 05:04:14 25,214 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    If I could afford onw of the new consoles I'd rather put the money towards a PC. But there's a (I'm guessing / hoping) minority of PC gamers who post on sites like Eurogamer who almost put me off the notion of PC gaming entirely.
    I don't know how you can seriously type that given the mouth-breathing knuckle draggers that can be found in any console game thread. Truly.

Aaanyways...

Since returning to PC this year, I'd have to say I'm over the moon with my choice. The only console that's even slightly appealing now is the WiiU, and that's only because it's doing something my PC probably never will in terms of the Nintendo 1st party output.

It'll be nice when the Steam trading takes full flight, because it'll finally shut people up about trade-ins (for whatever little that has ever been worth - although I'll put my hand up and say swapsies with other forumites were one of my favourite things in the last couple of generations) and the DRM question is moot. If Steam ever went tits-up, we all know that it would be trivial to just Yaaargh! copies of anything we wanted almost immediately. Thus restoring balance to the force. :)

I think I'd actually be feeling pretty sucky right now if I was, for example, tucking into an Xbox One on its launch today. Forced long installs, patching, etc. etc. Lots of loss for no gain. I do have a twinge about missing Forza, but it looks like Forza is missing at least half of itself anyways, so no great shakes in the end.

Not to say others aren't gonna be over the moon, by I'm very happy in PC land right now. Even if AssCreedIV was optimised by the work experience kid.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 07:42:34
    PenguinJim wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    jabberwoky wrote:
    You can sell your console games, or lend them out, you own them. You cannot do that with PC games and you do not own them, they are reliant on servers and riddled with DRM. PC gamers seem relaxed about that and have got what they deserved. Console gamers gave microsoft the order of the boot when they tried it on, and they are getting what they deserve for having some spine.
    This is what I don't get, people chomping at the bit for the [s]DRM/no secondhand[/s] digital future. Fair play to Valve though, they made DRM cool and people lapped it up.
    I own hundreds of disc games and hundreds of download games. I've sold one disc game in the past five years. I'm trying to think of a download game I would have sold... frankly, it's strange to me that you care enough about games to post on a forum, but not enough to want to keep your games. Can't you just... buy good games?

The convenience is what I appreciate most - I'd pay a tiny, little bit more for a 360 Games on Demand version over a disc version. jabberwoky did cover the added convenience to some extent:

jabberwoky wrote:
    Console games work when you go to where you keep your discs, find the disc of the game you want to play, take it out of the box, open your console's disc drive, take out the disc that's in there, put the game you want to play in the tray, put the old disc back in its box, and put that box away. A simple enough concept totally beyond the PC, where you have to double-click.
    Once I've completed a game there is just absolutely no reason in the world for me to keep it. Unless of course it was so incredible I know I'll play it again, but that is very rare with the amount of games out. Basically I think it is daft unless you are a collector to hold on to so many games. So although the pc crowd will dismiss trade ins with nonsense like pay 40 and get a fiver if you're lucky it us more like pay 30 and get at least 25 after you've played it, lent it to your friends etc.

Edited by mowgli at 07:43:45 22-11-2013
  • vijay_UK 22 Nov 2013 07:42:36 3,961 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There should be more cross-platform support, then we'd be one big happy family.
  • munki83 22 Nov 2013 07:52:05 1,853 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pc gaming is awesome. Console gaming is awesome. Fact is pc gaming experience is easier than ever and Google helps with any odd issues that crop up. Console gaming is probably easier but the types of games are limited by the controller, the huge expenses of creating a console game as well as the costly process of maintaining it.

The while trade an issue pc gamers have had it in one form since the early 90s maybe earlier. Unlike the Microsoft drm pc gamers don't get told months ahead of time and until recent years it was far easier just to pirate drm away.

Drm in its current form is more of a service than added on software to stop you sharing. Steam, origin , uplay,etc... Steam is just awesome. It has some flaws but it's still awesome. origin is just Meh and is only on my pc cos of the few new ea games I needed it for.

Also I don't think trading in games is healthy for the industry. It use to be but it's been exploited by game and co for far too long.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.