PC vs Console Gaming, Your opinion Page 3

• disusedgenius 22 Nov 2013 07:52:39 10,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    There should be more cross-platform support, then we'd be one big happy family.
    Yeah, for a lot of games that'd make sense. But then you get issues with kb&m people playing pad players. Still, it should be easy enough for them to detect input types and separate out the lobbies.
  • BeardedGamerUK 22 Nov 2013 11:05:41 2,184 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:

You are doing it wrong. Most of my games are Steam games, but only a tiny, tiny fraction of them were bought from Steam. The Steam sales have been good, but from Christmas 2011 to January 2013 they were entirely outclassed by their competitors.

Oh God. D: I spent too much time in Bargainland!
    Most of the games I have on Steam (getting onto 400) have come from indie bundles, Gamersgate or Green Man Gaming. Outside of daily deals or weekend deals, I've hardly bought any games at all direct from Steam this year. Steam don't appear to realise that they have competition!
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 11:06:38
    My mate has a brilliant rig and it's held up for the last 4-5 maybe 6 years. Now he's got to upgrade this, that and the other for £360 here, £200 there etc. The games look incredible on it but I'd'd say the price is more than worth the compromise with consoles.

Plus I like sitting on my reclining chair in a warm living room playing games, not sat in the box room upstairs. I sit in front of a PC all day at work so gaming to me is a cosy, homely experience.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2013 11:08:48 23,696 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Then hook your pc up to a TV. With a gamepad.
  • chopsen 22 Nov 2013 11:10:11 20,991 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Having a PC in the living room is like having a TV in the toilet. Sure, I can see the logic, but it's just wrong.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 11:11:16
    @overcorpse

bit more like this.
  • Widge Moderator 22 Nov 2013 11:11:35 13,858 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have my PC in a shoebox sized thing in the front room, 360 pad plugged in. A lot of it is just as slick as playing on a console.

At the moment it is on a par with the current consoles, in a year another investment of £150 should take the wee thing up a power level. I think £150 every 2 - 3 years isn't too much to ask, especially as the games are often £5 - £10 by the time I get around to them. Should expect excellent returns as I won't be pushing past 1080p. Highly doubt 4k is going to hit critical mass any time soon.

SteamOS and Pad should make the entire experience even more console-y and developers are realising that they need to make their games fully controller compatible (i.e. no pre-game splash screens that need a mouse to navigate).

Massive benefit is, of course, huge backwards compatibility, meaning that what everyone has been terming as current gen has already been running at next gen levels for some years now on PC.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 11:27:06
    @Mola_Ram I don't know anyone with a gaming rig that has it in their living room, though I'm sure there's plenty that do. I just couldn't justify the cost of having a console and a gaming rig as I wouldn't be prepared to sell the console due to it's convenience and exclusives, plus I wouldn't have / fit a rig in the living room.
  • PearOfAnguish 22 Nov 2013 11:31:08 7,573 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Steam's home streaming thingy, if it works, will mean you don't need anything other than a basic system in the living room to play real games, like a man.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 11:31:23 22-11-2013
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 11:51:18
    PenguinJim wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    jabberwoky wrote:
    You can sell your console games, or lend them out, you own them. You cannot do that with PC games and you do not own them, they are reliant on servers and riddled with DRM. PC gamers seem relaxed about that and have got what they deserved. Console gamers gave microsoft the order of the boot when they tried it on, and they are getting what they deserve for having some spine.
    This is what I don't get, people chomping at the bit for the [s]DRM/no secondhand[/s] digital future. Fair play to Valve though, they made DRM cool and people lapped it up.
    I own hundreds of disc games and hundreds of download games. I've sold one disc game in the past five years. I'm trying to think of a download game I would have sold... frankly, it's strange to me that you care enough about games to post on a forum, but not enough to want to keep your games. Can't you just... buy good games?

The convenience is what I appreciate most - I'd pay a tiny, little bit more for a 360 Games on Demand version over a disc version. jabberwoky did cover the added convenience to some extent:

jabberwoky wrote:
    Console games work when you go to where you keep your discs, find the disc of the game you want to play, take it out of the box, open your console's disc drive, take out the disc that's in there, put the game you want to play in the tray, put the old disc back in its box, and put that box away. A simple enough concept totally beyond the PC, where you have to double-click.
    I do understand this and I did hold onto all my games until recently.

I had an epiphany when I was moving a crate of PS2 games at home earlier this year - I realised that here, I have a crate full of discs, boxes coated in dust that are needlessly taking up space and will be a pain in the arse if I ever move house again. And they're never gonna see the light of day again and are worth nothing. Doesn't mean the games were shit or that I didn't enjoy them, they've just been exhausted.

I recently sold off The Last of Us (amongst others) - I sank 40 hours into the multiplayer and 5 playthroughs of single player. I'm not in a rush to play it again, so I got half the price of a new PS4 game back for it. Same with GTA V (90+ hours in single player).

Stuff like Wipeout HD, Dark Souls, Vanquish and Virtua Fighter 5 will mean that I will still have a PS3 set up for a very long time, but I'm effectively getting a PS4 (that is, something that is going to get use for years to come) without going near my bank account by moving on stuff that I've used and had my share of fun with, and will realistically never use again.

I've also decided that owning a tonne of stuff that sits in boxes is unnecessary, and feel good for having less clutter about the place.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Nov 2013 12:27:47 7,405 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My eyes have been opened since building a PC this summer, so many cheap games and emulators!

And playing the big budget titles with decent image quality is pretty nice, too.

I really think people who don't want a PC should hold off getting an Xbox One or PS4 as their PS3's and 360's will probably still be better gaming machines for the next couple of years, then pick up a next-gen console for cheap with a decent games library.
  • chopsen 22 Nov 2013 12:33:30 20,991 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    I really think people who don't want a PC should hold off getting an Xbox One or PS4 as their PS3's and 360's will probably still be better gaming machines for the next couple of years, then pick up a next-gen console for cheap with a decent games library.
    If historical precedent is anything to go by, MS with erase any trace of the 360's existence as soon as it's successor is released. The PS£ is likely to be supported a while yet.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 12:36:26
    PC for PC games, console for console games. It's fairly simple :)
  • drhickman1983 22 Nov 2013 12:50:55 6,683 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    If I could afford onw of the new consoles I'd rather put the money towards a PC. But there's a (I'm guessing / hoping) minority of PC gamers who post on sites like Eurogamer who almost put me off the notion of PC gaming entirely.
    I don't know how you can seriously type that given the mouth-breathing knuckle draggers that can be found in any console game thread. Truly.
    There are idiots and then there are self-superior idiots who look down on somebody for playing on a console and not a pc. Of course, that happens a hell of a lot between console fanboys too, but they never seem to come across as smug as some pc fanboys. Console fanboys are idiots, but pc fanboys can be smug idiots.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Nov 2013 13:16:46 40,158 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @drhickman1983 You've not ever read a, say, WiiU related thread, have you?
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 14:25:39
    I've gone PC this gen, for the first time ever.

Don't think I'll miss the new consoles much. As most things are multiplatform now anyway and I can play everything at Max on my GTX780 at 1080p. Also recently bought some old 360 games off steam for my PC like KOF XIII, Castlevania and Ace Combat, which look better with improved graphics and resolution on the PC. Plus I'm addicted to the steam sales already. So much better value for money.

Nearly all games support the wired 360 controller too which I use all the time, over keyboard and mouse.

I will get a bit jealous when the new Gears and Uncharted games get released. But can always grab a console when they drop in price if need be.

Edited by espibara at 14:28:17 22-11-2013
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 14:28:49 91,349 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 14:34:06
    If you have a spare £300 and have a pretty ok CPu and ram you would be better off getting a decent graphics card and going PC for 12-18 months
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Nov 2013 14:37:32 28,821 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    PC for PC games, console for console games. It's fairly simple :)
    Nope. Console for watered down PC games, PC for ports.
    or consoles ofr brilliant exclusives games not available on PC and PC for everything else.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 14:41:20
    Feel sorry for anyone stumping up £400 for the next gen consoles now.

The shovelware launch games are all sub standard and could be had for £15-£20 from CEX if you just wait 6-12 months.

Plus when the proposed decent exclusive stuff arrives next year the consoles will be cheaper anyway.
  • Rhaegyr 22 Nov 2013 14:42:42 5,122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If it's available for the PC I'll usually go for that (barring the odd shitty port, mainly Ubisoft).

On consoles I'll pick up the local multiplayer games (usually sport titles), rare exclusives that don't hit the PC (such as RDR) and anything quality from Nintendo.
  • monkman76 22 Nov 2013 14:45:09 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    If you have a spare £300 and have a pretty ok CPu and ram you would be better off getting a decent graphics card and going PC for 12-18 months
    That's quite a big if, to be fair. I don't even have a desktop PC. A PS4 is by a long stretch the cheapest way for me to get to play 64-player Battlefield, for example.
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 14:54:46 91,349 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • monkman76 22 Nov 2013 14:59:03 16,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Right, so just [list of all remaining PC components] to get for the remaining £240 then.
  • Dirtbox 22 Nov 2013 15:01:31 91,349 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Rhaegyr 22 Nov 2013 15:01:52 5,122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Dirtbox

Have to agree here - I'm running the same graphics card and a Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz and I still get around 60fps in BF4, Natural Selection 2, Bioshock Infinite and the like. The only FPS that gives it any trouble is Planetside 2 and that's only due to CPU constraints.
  • Plant 22 Nov 2013 15:08:37 356 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    For me it's a simple calculation:
    If I'm in my office, putting off work, then I'm a PC gamer.
    If I'm in my lounge trying to ignore my wife, then I'm a console gamer.
    Surely most people here have both consoles and pc right?
  • PearOfAnguish 22 Nov 2013 15:23:20 7,573 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Feel sorry for anyone stumping up £400 for the next gen consoles now.
    Really. It's one of the most dismal console launches I can remember. The best games are ports already available for less on PS3, 360 and PC, the prices for new titles are insane, DLCs and micropayments are shamelessly gouging the stupid and this focus on entertainment and sharing of game vids seems desperate.

They don't even seem to perform that well. At least when the previous gen came out it felt like you were getting something new, and PCs couldn't quite match it for a year or so, but many people probably already own a laptop or desktop that can easily handle newer games. Seeing DF get excited when a PS4 or XBO game manages to exceed 720p is funny. It's 2013 ffs, we should have higher standards. 1080p/30 should have been a minimum target for all.

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 15:24:24 22-11-2013
  • TheHammerite 22 Nov 2013 15:26:54 3,487 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As long as the PC ports offer fucking controller support!! You tried driving on GTA with a mouse?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.