PC vs Console Gaming, Your opinion Page 4

Next Last
  • gamingdave 22 Nov 2013 15:36:54 4,981 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have all the current gen (or last gen now the next gen is here) consoles and a PC. The PC is in the living room in the AV rack along with the consoles and used on a projector. Normally its with a pad, but occasionally its M&K. It's essentially another console, and used with XBMC for a lot of our film and TV viewing.

Whilst the PC can beat the consoles on cross platform games (and will beat the PS4/XOne once I upgrade the graphics card) there are games simply not available on all 4 machines.

I'd never go without Nintendo 1st party games, and whilst I am less enthusiastic about 1st party games on the others, there have been some truly great gaming moments on all of the last gen machines.

Whilst I love the general plug and play nature of consoles I really haven't suffered any issues with drivers or updates on PC. In fact the only time it gets messed up is when I am analy trying to tweak it as an HTPC.

Consoles really aren't plug and play these days though. The PS3 is my least used of my current consoles. It seems every time I got a new game for that it would require a system update (with painfully slow download and install) followed by some amount of game install, then a game patch, and then finally start playing. A long long way away from the old days of consoles with cartridges!

I'm not getting a Xbox One today, and probably won't get a PS4 next week either. For the first time I am not getting at launch. I'm sure I will end up with both at some point, maybe next year, once there are some must have games. The only thing tempting me at the moment are Resogun and Pinball Arcade (which I already have on PC, PS and Android).

TLDR they all have pros and cons. If you can afford to get all the consoles and a PC, if you can't just pics the one that suits you best. But don't think just because one suits you better it is actually better for anyone else.
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Nov 2013 15:55:19 40,158 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    TheHammerite wrote:
    As long as the PC ports offer fucking controller support!! You tried driving on GTA with a mouse?
    That actually works surprisingly well, and you can even take corners without crashing into the next vehicle because the mouse allows you to quickly check any direction, AND there is pad support in GTA, anyway. :p

And FWIW, the shootouts are so much better with kb/m than with the auto-aim of the console version, it's unreal. I've stopped playing GTA V for now because the shootouts are just utter crap compared to IV on the PC.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 16:04:55
    Yep, I'm waiting for the PC version of 5.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 16:10:56

• Armoured_Bear 22 Nov 2013 16:20:08 28,821 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can make a PC as much like a console as you want, mine sits in a Hi-Fi rack, is very discrete, has i5-3570/GTX670/8GB connected to a big Plasma and I play it on the Sofa.
    Playing Multi-Platform games with a 360 controller is just like playing the 360 version except with often significantly better graphics, image quality, framerate etc. and often cheaper.

Consoles are better value and are easier but itís all about the games, all platforms are great because they all have brilliant games you canít get anywhere else, it just depends on your taste. Anyone trying to claim that either consoles or PC are shit is just being an idiot.
    PS4 isnít as powerful as a high end PC but it will have amazing games that arenít on the PC, just look at the Naughty Dog stuff for a start.
    Ditto 360 but you get Halol, Forza, etc.
    Ditto WiiU with all the 1st party stuff.

Buy whatever platform provides the games that appeal to you most, itís all awesome.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2013 16:40:34
    Post deleted
  • drhickman1983 23 Nov 2013 01:00:21 6,683 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    @drhickman1983 You've not ever read a, say, WiiU related thread, have you?
    That's a fair comment. Guess I don't pay as much attention in those cases as I'm not the one being criticised for primarily being a console gamer. PS and Xbox users who get act all smugly superior to WiiU users are also idiots.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Nov 2013 01:09:53 15,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    edit: TL;DR, as requested by Moot_Point

What I love about PC:

- Mouse aiming. Maybe it's because I wasted too many years of my youth on Counter-Strike, but I still loathe stick aiming, no matter if X360 controller or DS3. They say the DS4 is much better in this regard, maybe so much so that I'll find it not impossible anymore to play a shooter with a controller, but by pure physical limitations a stick can't ever compete with a mouse for aiming speed and precision. There's a simple reason why FPS games have become so slow, and even do all sorts of slo-mo stuff today, because they're designed with a controller in mind. In the past, shooters were PC games.

And of course, there's strategy games, which are dreadful without a mouse.

The downside of mouse controls is that they're rubbish if you want to play sitting on your couch.

- Graphics performance and customisation. My current PC is a three or four years old mid-range gaming PC, and compared to my PS3, the graphics are miles ahead (I think the next-gen consoles are slightly better than my PC). I can max out Skyrim and it runs at a stable 1080p60. And when I play something taxing, Crysis for example, I can customise my graphics settings. I could opt for max detail, but that would bring down resolution and frame rate, and especially about frame rate I'm very sensitive. Not only because of stuttering, but also of the sluggish controls that come with it.

In some genres, it doesn't matter that much, but for shooters and racing games, which cover a lot of my play time, I need rock-solid 60fps. So if I don't get 1080p60, I reduce detail. If reducing detail a lot doesn't help, my last resort is to reduce resolution. Compromising on framerate is not an option. So I'd rather go for minimum detail and sub-720p than for sub-60fps. And console devs tend to do it the other way round: first reduce frame-rate, then reduce resolution, but keep detail.

I know that I have different preferences here than many others, but the great thing about PC is that I can customise it to my liking. I can change my settings so that I can play GTA 4 with 60fps. On my PS3, it's an average of 20-25fps and there's nothing I can do about it.

- Game prices used to be a case, thanks to Steam etc. But these days, PS+ has such an insane value that for me this isn't a strong point anymore. I know it's a bit different, but it's insane value nonetheless.

- There are much more games, mostly smaller/indie, and there are some genres left at least in niches that are dead on console.

- Modding. Skyrim may be the best example of a game to get on PC. Performance/glitches/aiming aside, thanks to Steam Workshop and Creation Kit, there's so much more game to get if you wish to, and you can change it yourself if you feel like it. Counter-Strike started as a mod too. You don't get that on consoles.

And I like that in some games with excessive unskippable cutscenes, and with all those company logos before you even get to the start screen, I can simply delete the video files.

What I love about consoles:

- As I said before, PS+. It's mega awesome.

- Convenience. Just sitting in the couch, grabbing TV remote and controller and off you go, except for changing discs. But most of my PS3/Wii games are downloaded, so I rarely need to eject my SMG/GT5 disc.

- Controllers. They're pretty good for a lot of games. They're shit for FPS and strategy games, but they're great for many others and extremely versatile. I really like my DS3 for games that don't favour mouse controls.

- And of course, the games. So many great games, many of the best games, are simply not available on PC.

So, best to have both.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:42:42 23-11-2013
  • Moot_Point 23 Nov 2013 01:17:01 5,530 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Edited by Moot_Point at 12:15:04 23-11-2013
  • Dirtbox 23 Nov 2013 01:34:14 91,349 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Moot_Point 23 Nov 2013 01:49:27 5,530 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Calm down Mr Happy. :)

Edited by Moot_Point at 12:21:04 23-11-2013
  • spamdangled 23 Nov 2013 01:52:37 31,803 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cool new stuff is good no matter the format.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.