Following Cyberpunk 2077 - CDProjectRed and Mike Pondsmith - Sandbox Cyberpunk Page 152

• mothercruncher 5 Apr 2021 17:32:41 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I love that there were tonnes of streaming issues so the solution is just not to load a lot of stuff now, even that massive neon sign, or zebra crossing youíre standing right next to. Good job guys.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Apr 2021 18:14:23 23,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At this point it's definitely diminishing returns with the last gen versions, they most definitely know it. They'll probably cut their losses on that version and focus entirely next gen and bug fixing soon if not for the next patches.
  • Gibroon 5 Apr 2021 19:35:27 2,514 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The whole gun shooting in the air, turning round and everyone has gone is just so weird. How can they program it(or not) to do that?
  • creepiest-lizard 5 Apr 2021 19:50:47 2,301 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm playing on a pro and I might even say its in a worse state now.
    Its such a shame as theres some brilliant writing and inventive stories if you really focus on the side missions.
    The combat is...adequate. When it works. It turns into a slide show if I try and use the mantis blades though.

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 19:51:22 05-04-2021
  • Rogueywon 5 Apr 2021 23:28:22 11,357 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And yet I still look back on this as one of the best games I've played in the last few years.
  • davidfowles 6 Apr 2021 01:57:59 419 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Iím glad I played it on pro before they fixed it. It ran fine enough as far as I was concerned, but from what Iíve seen in the DF video the game is even more of a ghost town now because someone cared about getting from 28 to 29 FPS more than the game being good.

Reminds me of how Fallout 4 was gloriously overrun with enemies when it first came out but people had such a fit about frame rate that now it literally kills most of them automatically on loading a new area and you can walk among their corpses, remembering when there was game to play.
  • mothercruncher 6 Apr 2021 07:48:37 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thatís a skewed take on it- the game hits the dizzying heights of... 0fps at times, itís hardly in any way optimised and theyíre just trying to squeeze the last bit of performance out of it.
  • davidfowles 6 Apr 2021 08:28:33 419 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I had a ton of fun with Fallout 4 before they took all the enemies out to a achieve a slightly better frame rate. There would literally be 15-20 enemies and then there would be 5. The game went from feeling like Doom to just another walking simulator.
  • mothercruncher 6 Apr 2021 08:36:02 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thatís the same point again, well done.
  • richardiox 6 Apr 2021 08:41:28 9,593 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The last gen versions are the noose around this games' neck.

Playing last night on Series X for the first time in a couple of months as I've just got a new Tv (LG OLED). Was actually blown away by the visuals now I'm seeing them in HDR. Furthermore, it seems to be a locked 60fps no matter what I did - assume that's down to VRR ironing out any drops.

Either way, I feel like CP2077 is essentially a tale of two games - watching footage of the Xbox One version it's hard to believe its the same code. And being lucky enough to be playing on the latest console and TV tech there's a huge disconnect when I read about people criticising the visuals and performance.
  • Bichii 6 Apr 2021 08:44:32 4,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @richardiox I highly recommend the 30fps mode on series X. In this game the combat and everything is still completely fine in 30fps and the quality in visuals is pretty major.
  • mothercruncher 6 Apr 2021 09:33:16 19,126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It is hamstrung by last gen big time, but seeing as they chose to sell it for those systems, the only sympathy Iíve got is for the poor schmucks that bought on that platform. I guess releasing over two generations shafted them as we could see the greener grass on the other side but I re-tried the Witcher 3 last summer when the expansions were cheap and found I couldnít live with the 20-something frame rate there, even after years of patches. Theyíll have done really well to get base last gen console to a ďmediocreĒ state.
  • richardiox 6 Apr 2021 09:34:08 9,593 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Once I've started a game on 60fps mode I can't go back. I'll always take frame rate over resolution and the image quality is still pretty great on the performance mode.
  • Bichii 6 Apr 2021 11:46:39 4,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I get you. Usually I'm all about 60fps but felt in this it was a pretty huge difference in quality I stuck with the 30fps mode.

I've got this low level white sniper rifle and it's insane. It's very slow but kills pretty much anything with one headshot, the Dps stat makes it seem rubbish when comparing it but the damage stat is crazy high. I find most of the time the Dps stat isn't anywhere near as important as the other attributes such as fire damage etc.
  • oldschoolsoviet 6 Apr 2021 12:01:51 6,960 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ....the only sympathy Iíve got is for the poor schmucks that bought on that platform.
    Poor schmuck here. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Even on the base systems, it seems absolutely hit and miss as to what the actual performance will be. Some folk were complaining of crashes constantly, whereas I was hammering through 4-5 hour stints before something broke.

I still want to go back to it at some point for a replay, but it still seems I'm better off not updating it, let alone 30-40GB patches for a questionable "improvement".

And even if they abandon the old consoles, I really can't see how much it'll improve on the current gen, as so much of it seems held together by string and duct tape. Things like the police response (will they ever drive/chase ?) or NPC reactions seem inherently flawed, regardless of any magic miracle they could enact.
  • Tuffty 6 Apr 2021 15:57:37 4,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Playing ps4 version on ps5 and I'm convinced this patch has actually made the experience worse for me. Pop in while driving is more and more frequent, frame drop consistently when in combat, GPS route on the mini map just disappears if I open up a menu when driving as well as enlarge the mini map taking up more of the screen and even the shards you can read in the world only display about a 1/4 of the text, making them completely unreadable. Was not having these issues before.

I think even with all these issues fixed it's still an average game for me. There's things in it hidden away within the shards or quests that are quite interesting but it's all surrounded by things that would appeal to 13 year old edgelords like the hyper sexualisation of everything and the 'edgy' advertisements that I'm sick of looking at.
  • Rum_Monkey 6 Apr 2021 15:59:24 2,512 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I wonder if you beta testers will get your names mentioned in the credits.
  • ChiefGB 6 Apr 2021 16:35:07 13,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The main thing I want from new gen is shinies, a decent res and an increase of the ghost town which sounds like itís only got even worse since the latest patch thanks to streaming being pared back.
    I am wondering if its nerfed even more currently on ps5.
  • ChiefGB 6 Apr 2021 16:37:03 13,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tuffty and there you go, I forgot to post my message, and youíve just summed up my fears, Iím not surprised with the way itís handled on ps5 currently.
  • Bichii 6 Apr 2021 17:52:13 4,464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm pretty sure pop in is way worse now on series X. Never really noticed any before 1.2 and now I see some.
  • Tuffty 6 Apr 2021 18:02:27 4,824 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've seen it happen in other people's footage prior to this patch but multiple times now I've been driving along the street and suddenly come to a complete stop, even though it was empty. Turns out it's because immovable objects hadn't finished loading in time.
  • papalazar0u 6 Apr 2021 20:11:08 254 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tuffty Iím playing on PS5 and Iíd agree - seem to be getting far more bugs since the latest patch and the GPS thing Iíve had a couple of times. Also having NPCís disappearing in front of your eyes or teleporting in and out of buildings, and the story text seems out of sync.

In general it so desperately wants to be GTA but feels like a B movie version of it without any of the polish. Iím enjoying the main story but donít have a great appetite for some of the other stuff. The world is so empty and repetitive if you veer off the mission paths, and Iím not seeing anything game changing in the skill trees and gear (I have now got an OP sniper rifle though). I honestly think you could ignore all of that stuff and just bludgeon your way through the main story.

However - that couple of hours near the beginning, where you start the investigation with Evelyn Parker, through to emerging as Johnny was a brilliant bit of gaming, that itís failed to match since.
  • SolidSCB 6 Apr 2021 21:54:29 15,307 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You've got to wonder at this point how they are going to get an acceptable version together for it to be relisted on PS consoles. Seems like it's basically spaghetti and PVA glue under the bonnet. Fix one thing at the expense of 12 others.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 6 Apr 2021 21:54:53 429 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    davidfowles wrote:
    I had a ton of fun with Fallout 4 before they took all the enemies out to a achieve a slightly better frame rate. There would literally be 15-20 enemies and then there would be 5. The game went from feeling like Doom to just another walking simulator.
    This is a console thing though I guess, rather than PC? Failing that surely there's a mod to reverse it?
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 21:57:01 23,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    You've got to wonder at this point how they are going to get an acceptable version together for it to be relisted on PS consoles. Seems like it's basically spaghetti and PVA glue under the bonnet. Fix one thing at the expense of 12 others.
    I would reckon when the next gen version comes out officially, they'll just sack off the PS4 version.
  • SolidSCB 6 Apr 2021 22:01:21 15,307 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd have thought so too but are they gonna be allowed to do that though? They can't pretend it doesn't exist when there are still physical copies out there to buy and I'm sure Sony wouldn't be happy seeing the PS4 written off just yet.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 22:05:09 23,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't know, stranger things have happened. But at this rate I wouldn't expect to see a fully formed next gen version until next year.
  • SolidSCB 6 Apr 2021 22:09:57 15,307 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fair fucks to them of they actually manage to get a next gen version that isn't just small visual improvements out there at any point. On a technical level it has all the signs of being fucked beyond fixing without starting from scratch.
  • JamboWayOh 6 Apr 2021 22:20:23 23,585 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would feel at this point this is something they're not going to abandon, their public perception is already at a low and I think they know they have to try and get it back. It obviously depends on how much effort they're going to expend.
  • alt-cmd-esc 6 Apr 2021 22:27:27 658 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, itís No Manís Sky territory. Hopefully they can do as well at redeeming things.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.