the best gba game yet!

• Pirotic Moderator 3 Apr 2003 19:08:53 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    to cut a long story short - pokemon advance kicks ass, had it for a while and its so deep and there is so much to do i swear its more epic than any RPG, its the ideal handheld game as no matter how long a journy your on it'll never get boring.

rather than just new monsters, its pretty much a whole revamp on the previous titles, borrowing elements from animal crossing - such as a real time clock, custom 'hide outs' which you can decorate, tree planting and fruit growing, you also have gambling (you can play proper roulette and slot machines), contests (where they compare your pokemon to other trainers) and you can enter the pokemon masters in the leauges after you've got all the badges.

shed loads to do, pokemons have more stats now such as appeal, cuteness, etc where you have to grow certain trees and make special 'blocks' from the fruit to increase these new stats

far better than advance wars, i really recommend importing it even if you're not a big pokemon nut, the licence might put a few people of a really great game!
  • mal 3 Apr 2003 19:16:44 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Is it easy to get into for anyone who's never played a Pokemon game before and doesn't know their Pikachu from their Pokahontas?
  • quantumsheep 3 Apr 2003 19:56:08 3,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Not played it Pirotic, but it sounds good! Mal's question is a good one - if I've never played Pokemon before, will I like it???

One I can recommend at the moment on GBA (apart from Elite!) is Tactics Ogre. If you liked Advance Wars, you'll love this! Looks gorgeous too!
  • ghearoid 3 Apr 2003 20:18:51 3,705 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    um, yeah!

i got pokemon sapphire on tuesday, it's ace! the graphics aren't as bad as they've looked in screenshots and it really sucks you in, more so than the others i reckon.

get this game and don't bother waiting until whenever nintendo europe decide to finally release it. i got a neat-o pokemon e-card in mine too! now i only need to get the e-card reader too..

the music's much better too!

g xx
  • lee3p0 3 Apr 2003 21:03:19 4 posts
    Registered 19 years ago
    Been playing Monkey Ball Jr for the last 2 weeks. It`s wins the crown easily and saved my GBA from being shoved off onto ebay
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Apr 2003 21:19:01 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    to answer your question, no - you dont need to have any previous pokemon experiance. the story and objectives are very clear and you rarely wander about lost.

it teachs you everything you need to know, it doesn't make assumptions that you know how to catch pokemon and how to raise them already, it nicely even asks if you already know before they start to lecture you so us pokemon fanatics dont have to listen to it all over again ;)

im just really impressed with the depth, the more you play the more new features are revealed so while for the first 20 minutes it plays like Pokemon Red, after a day or so you'll be playing very different game.

Tactics Ogre is also VERY cool, but its not getting a UK release sadly - fighting can be very slow at times but if you fancy a thoughtfull combat RPG it should be right up your ally
  • Ciaran 3 Apr 2003 21:20:45 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mmm, I might be tempted to import this, I need a good new game to go with my GBA SP sometime next month.

Is there anybody here with an idea about the differences between the Sapphire and Ruby versions? Do they just have different selections of Pokémon in them or is there more to it?

Edited by Ciaran at 20:23:04 03-04-2003
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Apr 2003 21:27:22 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    seeing as you went to the trouble to spell pokemon with a é i'll explain the differences.. (thanks to GameFAQS)

Pokémon Ruby-only:

You will only fight Team Magma.
    Tanebo is only in Ruby on Route 103.
    Groudon and Latios, the two Ruby legendaries, are only in Ruby.
    It's red!
    When Groudon is released from the underwater cave, Sunny Day is activated into the weather.

Pokémon Sapphire-only:

Hasubo is only in Sapphire on Route 103.
    Kyogre and Latias, the Sapphire legendaries, are only in Sapphire.
    It's blue!
    When Kyogre is released from the underwater, Rain Dance is activated into the weather.

.. did i mention they come on transparent coloured carts too :p

Edited by Pirotic at 20:28:18 03-04-2003
  • Ciaran 3 Apr 2003 21:35:49 1,070 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Cheers Pirotic! I seem to forget GameFAQs exists from time to time..
  • Nemesis 3 Apr 2003 21:51:25 19,957 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    /drags old joke out of the cupboard/

How'd you get Pikachu and Bulbasaur on a bus?

You poke 'em on.

Aha ha.

Pokemon. The cartoon almost ruined a good gaming franchise. Can't wait for the new one, neither can my son - bless 'im.
  • Pirotic Moderator 3 Apr 2003 23:37:01 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    i liked the cartoon, but i think nintendo milked the franchise too much without updating it significantly, and now they have made a worthy significant addition to the series it'll probably be overlooked as nintendos last attempt on a cheap cash-in..

.. which is my i made this thread, if you own a GBA you really have no excuse not to get pokemon... the only possible downside is if you REALLY can't stand random battles, as pokemon has its fair share.
  • Blerk Moderator 4 Apr 2003 10:07:36 48,222 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    The main thing about Pokemon is not to be put off by Pokemon... if you see what I mean. It's pretty much like not being put off of Kingdom Hearts because of the Disney thing. You might hate Pokemon/Disney, but the games are still great regardless.
  • Daryoon 4 Apr 2003 22:17:50 5,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    It's worth getting just to see some of the new designs, which are very, very freaky this time out - you may start out with fairly standard ones, but soon you're coming across cheerful sumos, stone noses, cactus-scarecrows, lizards with mullets and buddha monkeys.
    And thankfully one of the best thing about the TV show makes it into the game as well - dodgy innuendo-laced lines that wouldn't look out of place in Rainbow!
  • BartonFink 4 Apr 2003 22:58:25 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Anybody got SMB:Junior yet?
    Thinking of getting it with my new SP or are there better games to get with it?
  • StixxUK 5 Apr 2003 12:07:57 8,555 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I still haven't played anything to rival Advance Wars, but then I've yet to get a whole bunch of games I really want:

Metroid Fusion, Zelda, Yoshi's Island, SMBJ...
  • BartonFink 5 Apr 2003 12:28:48 35,268 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Yea think Advance Wars is one of the other ones I will be getting just in case you missed it Stixx EG gave it a 10/10 here
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Apr 2003 15:00:23 20,642 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    racked up 30 odd hours on pokemon advance now, still discovering new pokemon, hidden islands and rare items.. getting last gym badge, then i have to enter the higher class contests and enter the pokemon masters, there is so much to do i'll probably still be playing it in a years time.

also played Street Fighter Alpha 3... maybe i just have big thumbs but fireballs dont always pull-off everytime due to tiny D-pad, and dragon-punchs are almost impossible :(

(i can do them on a regular pad, my problem is with the GBA)

weirdly with all the other GBA fighters (KoF and Guilty Gear X) i can pull of fireballs and dragon punchs no problem

strange
  • mentat 18 Jun 2003 13:54:17 5,613 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Anybody got SMB:Junior yet?
    Thinking of getting it with my new SP or are there better games to get with it?

Yep - i've got it.
    It's fab. It's pretty faithful to the GC version. The monkey fight is more manic, the monkey bowling is a little less realistic (pins are sprites, so don't wobble then topple over)
    THe main game is cracking, but flipping hard - the analogue control on the GC makes it much easier.

Top game though - my second fav on GBA after Metroid:Fusion. Which is bloody hard...
  • Alastair 18 Jun 2003 13:58:10 24,560 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Where's the hook to keep me going?
    Where can I get Tactics Ogre as it's not coming out in UK?
  • gizmo 18 Jun 2003 14:34:24 2,100 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Excellent GBA Games:

Karnaaj rally - what micro machines should have been. AWESOME graphics engine.

Winning eleven - I cannot believe what they acheived with this on a handheld, it is superb, even if I now need to learn Japanese.

Obviously these need to be imported atm.
  • templar-wizard 18 Jun 2003 14:50:01 3,153 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    please buy Made in Wario, please dont buy anymore Pokemans/men.

made in wario -good
    pokeman -bad

nintendo have given us too much pokemans/men, not enough Made in Wario/s
  • Daryoon 18 Jun 2003 14:55:37 5,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Really, is this all there is to it? Where's the strategy? Where's the challenge? Where's the hook to keep me going?

This would be where you play against human opponents...
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,322 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    HELLO VERMIN!!!

Wow it does sound good...

There are shedloads of good stuff coming up for the GBA at the moment. Obviously Golden Sun 2 is top of my wanted list, and I'm still playing Tactics Ogre like a crazy turn-based monkey cos it's ace. Must get hold of Monkeyball too. And now Pokemon looks enticing (I confess I had never really given it much thought before but Pirotic's description has got my mouth watering).
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Right, I've been playing this for a few weeks now, on and off, and I'm really struggling to maintain an interest. I can't see what the fuss is about? It's one of the most deathly dull games I've played. To come to Pokemon Sapphire after Golden Sun 2 is a bit like going to Rolf's Animal Hospital after watching ER.

- Move sprite into long grass
    - Start random battle
    - Press laborious sequence of buttons to initiate combat
    - Repeat several times
    - Add another pokemon to your pokedex. Or not. Who honestly cares?

Really, is this all there is to it? Where's the strategy? Where's the challenge? Where's the hook to keep me going?
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Where can I get Tactics Ogre as it's not coming out in UK?
    Probably best to wait for Final Fantasy Tactics now. Not much point in having both FF:T *and* Tactics Ogre as they seem to be more or less the same game.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.