Following Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 147

Next Last
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 09:39:53 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Took the plunge and upgraded my 7700K to a 3900X. It makes a big difference in something like Blade and Sorcery - I think that for VR itís going to be a big help in reducing stutters etc. Warriors Orochi 4 really benefited too, almost completely removing all framerate drops even in max detail, and taking the ones that remain from down in the 20s to around 50fps. I do think I was more limited by my 2080 at 3440x1440 in normal games but using Oculus Link and comparing my system performance to a friend with an 8086K was enough to convince me that it would make a difference in VR and it does seem to.

Iím really pleased with the motherboard though, the MSI Unify. Spent about £100 more than I usually do and itís so much higher quality; the whole thing weighs about twice as much as my old Asus Z270 board, the built in back panel is something I didnít know I wanted, the third M.2 slot will definitely get use later and the audio output blows it away. I thought I had duff audio jacks in my case as it would distort over about 60% volume while not being that loud, but this one is more than loud enough at 35% while not distorting even at 100. The lack of RGB has saved me switching it off too! Dragon Centre is godawful though, had to remove the CFOSspeed install because it was messing with the network figures in Task Manager.

Overall itís a bit of a luxury move, there wasnít really anything unplayable (except Blade and Sorcery in Warzone 3 mode) but everything is just better now. Going from a H115i to a Noctua NH-D15 has made everything cooler and quieter too, under 60 degrees on Prime95!

Thinking about moving the build to a new case now to get front panel USB-C. Currently between the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL and NZXT H710.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Feb 2020 09:50:02 3,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nice upgrade and, although not quite the same as yours, a 3700x with 2070 super for VR should be better than my 970/2500k when I hit that 'buy' button (the money is there but new stuff keeps getting released - 3600 Ballistix RAM @ CAS 16 for £95, better Intel NMVME p650).

Anyhow this is my proposal as it stands (not a fan of RGB for the memory so will switch that off - or get the new Ballistix):

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler
    Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
    Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case
    Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 09:57:48 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    In fairness, performance-wise the 2070 super basically is a 2080. Youíll definitely notice the difference from a 2500K, going from a 2600K to a 7700K made a lot of difference!

One thing you might notice with that PSU is that your motherboard might have a second CPU power socket. I have an EVGA P2 650 with only one 8 pin EPS connector so was a bit concerned when I saw two plugs but itís perfectly happy on just one; if youíre concerned it might be worth getting the 750 instead if youíre buying now as they usually have two, or one extra one that can go between EPS and PCIE.

I was looking at the Meshify S2 as well thanks to good reviews but the front panel inputs arenít great for me, I have a bit of bother reaching the headphone socket on my Define R5 under my desk and itís a similar configuration. Thatís why I like the O11 and H710 as the plugs are all collected on the right hand side.
  • MrWonderstuff 13 Feb 2020 10:12:30 3,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks. The motherboard has one eight-pin socket so I think it should be ok. I'll check out the other cases - I was looking at the Llan Li Cool II as an option as well. That H710 looks lovely - I do like NZXTs (will check out the reviews).
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 10:19:17 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The main thing is to avoid the ďiĒ versions of the NZXT H series as the smart device it comes with is useless and adds a lot to the price.

I think the Lancool II is a little too narrow for my monster CPU cooler - thatís why Iím looking at the O11 XL rather than the original one or the Air. Also ruled out the Phanteks P400A.
  • Fake_Blood 13 Feb 2020 10:21:52 9,952 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Phanteks has a 400 range model with mesh in front. Iíve got the evolv x which is expensive, but very very very nice.
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 10:53:07 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, thatís the 400A. Gamers Nexus were raving about it, and their numbers do seem to bear out the theory that a more open case with better airflow cooling parts better actually can run quieter overall even with less sound damping, because fans etc are running slower.
  • Gl3n Moderator 13 Feb 2020 12:34:19 6,718 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Took the plunge and upgraded my 7700K to a 3900X. It makes a big difference in something like Blade and Sorcery - I think that for VR itís going to be a big help in reducing stutters etc. Warriors Orochi 4 really benefited too, almost completely removing all framerate drops even in max detail, and taking the ones that remain from down in the 20s to around 50fps. I do think I was more limited by my 2080 at 3440x1440 in normal games but using Oculus Link and comparing my system performance to a friend with an 8086K was enough to convince me that it would make a difference in VR and it does seem to.

Iím really pleased with the motherboard though, the MSI Unify. Spent about £100 more than I usually do and itís so much higher quality; the whole thing weighs about twice as much as my old Asus Z270 board, the built in back panel is something I didnít know I wanted, the third M.2 slot will definitely get use later and the audio output blows it away. I thought I had duff audio jacks in my case as it would distort over about 60% volume while not being that loud, but this one is more than loud enough at 35% while not distorting even at 100. The lack of RGB has saved me switching it off too! Dragon Centre is godawful though, had to remove the CFOSspeed install because it was messing with the network figures in Task Manager.

Overall itís a bit of a luxury move, there wasnít really anything unplayable (except Blade and Sorcery in Warzone 3 mode) but everything is just better now. Going from a H115i to a Noctua NH-D15 has made everything cooler and quieter too, under 60 degrees on Prime95!

Thinking about moving the build to a new case now to get front panel USB-C. Currently between the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic XL and NZXT H710.
    Are you selling your old i7? I'm in the market for a cheapo upgrade from my i5 6000k
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 14:02:20 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Havenít decided yet - thinking about putting the drive cages back into my Define and using it as a home server. I have a QNAP NAS but I foolishly only got the 2 drive model so I want to have a bit more redundancy.
  • azurelas_2 13 Feb 2020 15:10:01 1,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:

I was considering the step up CPU (Ryzen 9 3950x) but read this article and decided to wait for next gen Ryzen. It should be a drop-in replacement for my current 3600.
  • uiruki 13 Feb 2020 15:19:36 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If the board youíre running on is half as overbuilt as mine then Iím sure that even if they come out with a 24 core processor itíll be more than happy with that.

Being able to just replace a processor is something Iím not used to either.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Feb 2020 16:08:20 3,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RaymondLuxuryYacht wrote:
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    My 4790K (possibly my Ram speed as a cause too from looking around) definitely bottlenecks my 2070 at Ultra wide 2560x1080.
    I've got a 4790k clocked to 4.7GHz, alongside a 2080 super for 3440x1440. RAM is only 2100 (Maximus Ranger VII limit I think). Totally conflicting advice everywhere I look about whether a RAM and CPU upgrade would make any difference whatsoever.
    That is my problem really. Conflicting opinions and knowing I am not running as well as I should despite my weaker gpu and lower res monitor. I may have been better off going ultra wide 1440p in the end but didn't expect this much of a cpu bottleneck (or Ram anyway)
  • MrWonderstuff 14 Feb 2020 08:09:02 3,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Whaddya lot think of the new Ballistix memory? CAS 16 3600 for £93.
  • uiruki 14 Feb 2020 09:03:15 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Crucial have been making good stuff for ages. I upgraded my first ďproperĒ PC with 256MB of their memory nearly 20 years ago.

The price on the 32gb kit has actually tempted me a bit. The only thing to watch out for is height - I think theyíre 39mm high.
  • b-rk 14 Feb 2020 09:03:27 1,129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dunno. I have this in one of my RIGs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NPKTRS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the diff?

In other news my recently purchased 2070s shit the bed and is being returned, so I'm using a Radeon 7 in the meantime. It's hot, loud and not as fast as the mid-tier Nvidia card. Depending on how annoying the AMD card becomes I might just get a refund and hold out for Ampere.
  • uiruki 14 Feb 2020 09:33:16 5,051 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    That one is a little faster as the latency is lower. Itíll make a small difference on AMD systems but very little on Intel ones. Also itís elite!
  • azurelas_2 14 Feb 2020 09:33:45 1,969 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    b-rk wrote:
    Dunno. I have this in one of my RIGs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NPKTRS1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What's the diff?

In other news my recently purchased 2070s shit the bed and is being returned, so I'm using a Radeon 7 in the meantime. It's hot, loud and not as fast as the mid-tier Nvidia card. Depending on how annoying the AMD card becomes I might just get a refund and hold out for Ampere.
    The CAS timings on your RAM are slightly better, meaning your memory speeds are going to be slightly better.

I think you should go for the 5700XT; it's mostly on a par with the 2080/2070S minus RTX and is very well reviewed. As always, there are rumours about AMD drivers but who knows if it's just an urban myth refusing to die or if there's some truth to the rumours.
  • b-rk 14 Feb 2020 10:16:08 1,129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I have the Radeon 7 now and with 4K the 5700XT is generally slower. I'm really not impressed with AMD drivers right now. Just many small bloody weird issues that have me shaking my head. Pretty wacky, really. No black screens as yet but actual static (as in old style tv static) as the driver gets confused when switching screen resolutions.
  • Sharz 14 Feb 2020 10:56:47 1,925 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I installed the 5700XT two days ago I set it to the 'gamer' profile which enabled a few options and was getting black screens and just odd behaviour.

Turns out it was some of those fancy options causing issues. Turn off Anti-Lag, Enhanced Sync etc and it now seems totally fine. If it doesn't properly work then why include it?

With the GTX 1080 it replaced I didn't get any issues but then again I don't normally have any of the fancy options turned on anyway. Probably the fact it asks for and sets options in the first place is the problem with AMD.

If the default was 'just give me power and none of the bollocks' they might get less rumours about dodgy drivers. Going to turn on Radeon Chill tonight and see if that is ok, as that is an option actually interested in.

Edited by Sharz at 10:57:28 14-02-2020

Edited by Sharz at 10:58:14 14-02-2020
  • MrWonderstuff 14 Feb 2020 16:16:12 3,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    When it comes to buying parts is best to go with one company (Scan, Amazon etc), which can be more expensive, or shopping around via PC Part Picker when it is invariably cheaper but from disparate sources.
  • b-rk 14 Feb 2020 19:12:11 1,129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sharz wrote:
    When I installed the 5700XT two days ago I set it to the 'gamer' profile which enabled a few options and was getting black screens and just odd behaviour.

Turns out it was some of those fancy options causing issues. Turn off Anti-Lag, Enhanced Sync etc and it now seems totally fine. If it doesn't properly work then why include it?

With the GTX 1080 it replaced I didn't get any issues but then again I don't normally have any of the fancy options turned on anyway. Probably the fact it asks for and sets options in the first place is the problem with AMD.

If the default was 'just give me power and none of the bollocks' they might get less rumours about dodgy drivers. Going to turn on Radeon Chill tonight and see if that is ok, as that is an option actually interested in.

Edited by Sharz at 10:57:28 14-02-2020
    Yeah I turn all that off as well. I managed to solve the static problem by turning vsr on, which shouldn't have made any difference as GPU scaling was on but hey, AMD.

Looking at some reviews for the 5700 XT sees it way behind the VII at 4K in some titles. Performance crumples in Metro Exodus and Devil May Cry 5 for example.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt/18.html

Take those results with a pinch of salt, however, as the 1080ti results are suspiciously low compared to what I get in some of the games.
  • MrWonderstuff 15 Feb 2020 13:53:40 3,122 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oooh, a 3700x for £210 at Amazon - that's a good bargain. Edit: and its back up. :-(

Edited by MrWonderstuff at 17:41:52 15-02-2020
  • KD 15 Feb 2020 15:00:25 2,340 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After a small problem with my phone and me ordering a new one, I'm back to waiting for another month at least for my cpu upgrade so glad to see them drop more.
  • b-rk 16 Feb 2020 08:17:02 1,129 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrWonderstuff wrote:
    Oooh, a 3700x for £210 at Amazon - that's a good bargain. Edit: and its back up. :-(
    Showing as £265 now. That didn't last long.
  • sherpa1984 16 Feb 2020 13:07:43 820 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    To be taken with a pinch of salt as I do not have the link to hand:

I read an article this week saying AMD has decreased latency between cores by -20% for this summerís Ryzen CPU release.

The 3 series were a big improvement but when you look at the figures Intel are still #1 for game performance, itís just that The Internet (rightly) turned against them for their shady practices and security vulnerabilities.

Apparently, the reason why a 9900k still beats a 3950x is that thereís less latency between cores. IPC is supposed to be some magical figure that takes this into account and Intel beats AMD for now. The rumour was that AMD have massively improved this and not only have they lowered the gap to Intel but theyíve actually gained an advantage.

Sitting on a 6600k so I need a motherboard upgrade no matter what I choose. Edging to Ryzen 4 but I hear it will be the last CPU to use the current socket type so a potential dead end upgrade. Also not sure if 3GHz RAM is enough for a Ryzen... have been with Intel for so long Iím out of the loop with RAM speed affecting CPU performance.

Edited by sherpa1984 at 13:09:48 16-02-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.