Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 193

• Tomo 12 Oct 2020 13:35:02 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Cyberpunk is very scalable I believe. The min specs were surprisingly low. Just depends how many bells and whistles you want.
  • dfunked09 12 Oct 2020 13:40:03 517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Yeah, I've pretty much committed to playing Cyberpunk on my 1080ti without any raytracing at this point. There's no way I'm going to magically find some 3080 stock in the next month.
    Should be easy enough to hit a decent locked framerate at 1440p.
  • Tomo 12 Oct 2020 13:59:49 18,261 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Annoyingly it coincides with a very busy period of work for me so not sure how much I'm going to get to play or before Christmas, but fingers crossed. I can't wait.
  • lordofthedunce 12 Oct 2020 19:42:15 688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick (they always start out quick) question to the thread:
    Currently looking to get my kid his first desktop pc, he's turning 10 in December, this is a big present, a very big deal.
    I know a bit about computers and have always fancied giving a build a go but I'm toying with the idea it might be more cost-effective to get a second hand system.

He plays fortnite, roblox, I think there'll be other stuff coming along in the next year or two he'll get into, I don't think framerate or top settings for AAA titles are that important.

I'm thinking around 400. Here in Sweden that'd be secondhand 4th gen i7 + gtx 1060 6gb (+ ddr3 ram) territory or a new Ryzen 5 and a cheap video card and 8-16gb ddr4...

Part of me is thinking there's a Ryzen 5 with decent on board graphics, right, that might do for the time being and could be added to with a video card later...

The build doesn't really phase me (it's just like lego, right?!) but what's the better approach of it's to last 4-5 years.

Anyone got any tips or done a similar build for their kid?
  • dfunked09 12 Oct 2020 19:56:53 517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'd definitely go for a Ryzen over a Haswell build. You're extremely limited by which 6-7 year old CPU you can use for future upgrades if you go for that, plus the integrated GPU would be incapable of playing games..

Can't say I have much experience with AMD's integrated graphics, but it could definitely be an option. Those ones have a G at the end of the model number (4600G etc)
  • Sharz 12 Oct 2020 22:15:53 2,003 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AMD integrated can't be compared to Intel. The top of the line AMD integrated gpus can usually handle 1080p with no issues. And you get the benefit that AM4 socket has plenty of options no matter the motherboard.

People always point to the Ryzen 3100 for budget builds but you need to find one first of all. Take a look at AWD-IT they seem to have a decent range. Then see if you can source the parts yourself locally.
  • lordofthedunce 13 Oct 2020 10:36:59 688 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for the replies. I was leaning more the Ryzen way, it does seem the sensible choice, really. Plus I get to spend hours researching parts/prices!
  • DaM 13 Oct 2020 11:45:36 17,487 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Looking to get an "entry level" gaming PC for one of the kids. Budget around a grand.

What's a reasonable CPU and graphics card...anything to avoid? Even just a push in the direction of a brand.

So many bloody combinations....

Or is there a good site to configure stuff or with decent pre-configured set ups?
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 13 Oct 2020 14:12:38 4,060 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Random question that seems to be hard to Google accurately. Have the modern Intel CPUs got past the vulnerabilities that needed patching on older models thus affecting performance or is that still a thing?
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2020 14:18:24 1,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I also have a random question.... I'm looking at getting a Zen 3 CPU, but I know next to nothing about motherboards. Would something like a TUF X570 Plus be fine, or would I be missing out any new features? (are there new boards for the new CPU's?)

There's one in the amazon warehouse sale, so might just grab that if it'll do the job...

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/reviews/asus-tuf_gaming-x570_plus-wifi-motherboard,6273.html
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2020 14:32:40 1,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck it, ordered.... bit of a shot in the dark, someone please tell me if this is a terrible mistake, lol. Hard to get excited about a motherboard, isn't it? So long as it has the features you need, you just plug it in and forget about it, surely.... with the warehouse discount you can get one for 133, which seems pretty decent.
  • KD 13 Oct 2020 14:37:39 2,958 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @OnlyJoeKing
    AMD promised current X570 and B550 motherboards would work fine with the new 5000 series Ryzen processors, so if you have either board from a vendor you'll be ready for the next generation of CPUs. All that's required is a BIOS update, which should be applied before installing the new processor.

Older 400 series motherboards may get support for the newer CPUs in the form of a BIOS update, but which boards will be supported and when these updates will be released is yet to be seen. The best bet is to upgrade to a 500-series motherboard, allowing you full access to PCIe 4.0 and other notable improvements the latest chipsets offer.
  • KD 13 Oct 2020 14:39:06 2,958 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DaM Read this https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/palicomp-cit-flash-gaming-desktop-intel-10400-vs-ryzen-3600-1660-super-16gb-ram-ps600-from-palicomp-3561805

Basically just price the better bits with it or browse for similar pre built pc's on the site and get a rough idea of whats needed.

Edited by KD at 14:40:55 13-10-2020
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2020 14:39:58 1,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I guess this one's fine then? Lovely. Cheers!
  • magicpanda 13 Oct 2020 14:42:51 15,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @DaM In the same boat but I'm getting the PC and the boy is getting this one.

Cyberpowersystems seems like the best site I've seen do far.

Chillblast are expensive and so are Overclockers.

AMD 3600 CPU seems like a good start but if you want an upgrade route you will need to look at the motherboard. I don't know exactly but I think the motherboards come in 3ish flavours. the 450, 550 and X570? Only 500 and up will have an upgrade path to the new Ryzen CPUS. Someone with better knowledge than me can fil in the gaps here.

Graphics cards are all up in the air at the moment so cant help you there.
  • uiruki 13 Oct 2020 14:44:13 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The main thing with motherboards is to buy the one which has the features you'll use. 133 is a very low price for X570 though and as it's X570 you should be okay day one - the Asus website straight up says third gen Ryzen support. Absolute worst case is you might have to borrow a CPU from someone to flash it; when that happened previously AMD actually provided a kit for that. Having two PCIE 4.0 M.2 slots will potentially be useful in the future.
  • OnlyJoeKing 13 Oct 2020 15:10:05 1,150 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice, ta.

I guess I could just save the latest BIOS update to USB drive before swapping mobo & cpu, then flash it from that?

Sounds like it's a suitable thing though, so, win. Delightful.
  • uiruki 13 Oct 2020 15:12:30 5,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm not sure on that model, being able to flash without a CPU installed is a pretty high end feature. surely they'll be able to at least get into BIOS if they're promoting it on the webpage though.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 13 Oct 2020 15:26:28 519 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @magicpanda I'll cross my fingers for you if you buy from cyberpower. The machine I bought from them earlier this year had numerous issues and I lost faith in them, but I did get a full refund in the end. You, might want to consider updating the warranty to cover collections for longer as their base warranty only covers pick up for 6 months.
  • magicpanda 13 Oct 2020 17:41:10 15,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie Thanks, who did you use in the end?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 13 Oct 2020 18:15:42 519 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @magicpanda I still haven't got one and the closer it's got to the new GPU's being announced/released, the longer I've waited.

Like you've mentioned, I got a good price from CP at the time and getting a similar spec pc now seems to be 350+ more than what I paid back in Feb/March (thanks covid).

A mate of mine has had a couple from chillblast and seems happy with them so I was thinking of going with them once the demand for new cards has settled. Their warranty gives me a bit more confidence too.

I was also wondering if an off-the-shelf pc might do - something like the hp omen. Problem is I'm too indecisive :)
  • Rogueywon 13 Oct 2020 19:12:30 9,486 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie I wouldn't go off-the-shelf for a desktop. Experience suggests that when you do so, any component that isn't precisely specced and branded "on the box" will inevitably be the cheapest possible unbranded version of said component. So you can absolutely expect cheapo, nasty PSU, RAM and possibly mobo.

I've used Novatech a few times and they've been very good.
  • captbirdseye 15 Oct 2020 08:28:58 9,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Looks like Nvidia has ditched the 8mm node with Samsung and swriched over to 7mm with TSMC. Should be switching over in the new year. What a clusterfuck of a launch.
  • Sharz 15 Oct 2020 14:37:40 2,003 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know it's not technically a component but what are people's experiences with wireless mice? Looking to replace my original G502, works fine but fancy a change and never tried wireless. Thinking might go Corsair, the Dark Core Pro or Ironclaw perhaps. Good idea or will the constant charging be a pain? Or any other mice people would recommend.
  • brokenkey 15 Oct 2020 15:07:31 10,605 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I've got a wireless mouse. I leave it plugged in.

edit: I've had 4. I've always left them plugged in.

Edited by brokenkey at 15:08:07 15-10-2020
  • crashVoodoo 15 Oct 2020 15:33:03 6,798 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Looks like Nvidia has ditched the 8mm node with Samsung and swriched over to 7mm with TSMC. Should be switching over in the new year. What a clusterfuck of a launch.
    Whaaat? What a fuckin mess
  • dfunked09 15 Oct 2020 16:03:02 517 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The G Pro is a lovely mouse. It easily lasted me through a working week between charges before I started using an old wired one instead for work stuff (I've already lost a chair to WFH overuse, not gonna lose my mouse too!)

You can always get the charging mat as well.

Bonus points for not looking like a transformer!

Edited by dfunked09 at 16:04:58 15-10-2020
  • gamecat 16 Oct 2020 19:36:17 1,009 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Razer Viper ultimate another good one, using the wired version because I'm cheap, and don't notice the wire with my bungee anyway. Wireless version is only 4g heavier which is crazy. It's a pretty small mouse, so if you palm grip then it's probably not suitable, unless you have Trump sized doll hands.
  • Technoishmatt 16 Oct 2020 19:53:12 4,624 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have a Logitech G900 for gaming. Love it!

Logitech Master 2s something for work.

Both wireless.
  • Fake_Blood 16 Oct 2020 20:01:56 10,620 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just got the master 3S, bit heavy for gaming, but the metal scroll wheel can freespin and it has electromagnetic brakes. So the wheel still has those clicks when you scroll but it'll also disengage the brake when you spin it fast and I couldn't live without it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.