Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 235

• captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 09:00:55 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Until Microsoft decided to fix HDR implementation on Windows 10 it's better to just turn it off. This has been a problem for a good few years now so I have little hope it will be fixed.
  • Rogueywon 16 Mar 2021 09:01:29 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @captbirdseye Aye, yet another case of MS doing a half-arsed implementation of something then getting bored with it.
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 09:02:47 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen did you see they're doing a new version of your monitor with micro LED this year - 1200 nits? I bet the HDR on that is a hell of a lot better.

I'm so glad I bought the Dell after tonnes of research and deciding it just wasn't worth buying a monitor with supposedly 'good' HDR. At least I got that right. If average HDR looks this bad, paying another 1000 quid for what is considered 'good' in monitor world probably still looked pathetic for a hell of a lot of money.

Think I'll just wait until Micro LED is mainstream and price comes down in a couple of years and swap over to one then.
  • captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 09:03:44 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I know. You spend a small fortune on kit and then find out that Microsoft can't be arsed.
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 09:06:00 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon

When you say you saw it look excellent on another monitor from another manufacturer do you know what HDR certification it had? 600? 1000?

I'm guessing it's just down to that peak brightness to get the details you need? I don't know enough about HDR really.... but I read a little about thats why OLEDs are so good because the blacks are so black you get the contrast from the bright areas that you need to show proper levels of detail

Whereas I don't really have back on my screen, just a sort of grey. Even with really expensive FALD it doesn't come close to OLED
  • Fake_Blood 16 Mar 2021 09:08:12 10,900 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I havenít tried Doom Eternal, but everything else in HDR has been great on my OLED monitor/tv.
  • THFourteen 16 Mar 2021 09:09:02 54,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution

Yeah i saw that, i was initially bummed but then it would probably cost 2k, which is 1k more than i am willing to pay (and probably 1.5k more than a sane person should pay lol).

I mainly use the G9 for work, and game on it like 4-5 hours a week, so it doesnt make sense to spend much more than that.

The main gaming PC is in the front room so i can use it when the mrs is watching trashy tv, if there was a good 32 HDR 4k monitor maybe i'd put it on there, but there isnt right now.
  • captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 09:11:09 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Monitor tech has been in a really bad place for a good few years now so can't really compare it with OLED because it will always trump a monitor in every area apart from say variable refresh rate. I have just got used to shit monitor tech and you really should be all about the FPS. :)

Edited by captbirdseye at 09:12:03 16-03-2021
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 09:20:23 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @captbirdseye

Except the new OLEDs also have VRR and high refresh rates :). Pity they can't handle the static windows image for work so its moot point if you need a monitor for both work and play.

I'm happy with my screen, I'll just ignore HDR and upgrade when HDR actually works on PC with future hardware.

OH BTW - I'm even more pleased with my Sound Blaster G6 after testing that in Doom. WOW. Turning on all the bells and whistles gaming mode and modifying surround parameters etc, it's really amazing what they can do with virtual surround now. And packs a proper punch with the amp.

Money very well spent, love it.
  • captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 09:23:22 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not as good as Monitors :p.

Glad you're enjoying it and probably running Doom at 1000fps hehe. Get stuck into the ton of PC specific games such as Total War and other strategy stuff.
  • Fake_Blood 16 Mar 2021 09:25:41 10,900 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would consider vrr from 40-120hz pretty good :p
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 10:20:38 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yes it's VERY good. Mr Birds Eye just refuses to see it. OLEDs are far superior now.

I do like this Ultra wide monster a lot, and it certainly is amazing for both FPS games and strategy games like Civ which I spend a lot of time in. No regrets.. but OLEDs are miles better *and* cheaper. madness really
  • captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 10:35:02 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I raise your 120mhz to my 165mhz :p. Pew pew.
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 10:57:12 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lol

joking aside do you really think going above 120fps is a debatable point in monitors versus new OLEDs? 40 hard to notice frames per second for horrific HDR, smaller size, worse picture quality and higher price?

I can notice 120fps versus 60fps, but I'm not sure I could take the Pepsi challenge if shown 2 screens with 120 on one and 165 on another.
  • uiruki 16 Mar 2021 11:04:31 5,789 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Once you go significantly above 100 or so it's diminishing returns, the biggest improvement being lower input lag. But if you've got a monitor with the Gsync module then you already have super low input lag - indeed, faster than any current TV.
  • captbirdseye 16 Mar 2021 11:06:44 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Depends. It makes a huge difference in things like CSO:GO and competitive games etc.
  • Sharz 16 Mar 2021 11:22:56 2,094 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My monitor has 164hz refresh but I have the frame rate locked to 120fps in Radeon software. Simply reason is consistency across games and power draw. (the refresh is set to 164hz but using Radeon chill set fps is 120)

Find little benefit to going higher than 120fps, and when some games are around 100fps and others are at 164fps find it uneven switching between games. So no reason to waste heat and power going higher. But don't play ultra competitive either.

Getting freesync/gsync is the best thing to ever happen to gaming.

Edited by Sharz at 11:36:19 16-03-2021
  • Fake_Blood 16 Mar 2021 11:39:50 10,900 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Diminishing returns innit.
    At 60fps you get a new frame every 17ms, at 120fps every 8ms, which is noticable. If you double again to 240fps you only shave off another 4ms.
  • KD 16 Mar 2021 13:48:42 3,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    My 3 are only 75hz but the freesync works across them in nvidia surround, I still run iracing at 150+ fps due to hearsay about latency, I dont know either way.
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 19:48:59 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok interesting development on the HDR front..... (bloody PCs are so insanely fiddly but there's something slightly rewarding about getting it sorted).

As I said earlier Doom eternal looked like arse when I turned on HDR. Fiddled with settings to no end, was awful. I've just been messing around in Nvidia control panel and found adjust Desktop Colour settings and clicked on Override to reference mode for colour accuracy. Fk knows what that actually means or if it's wise BUT...

Now Doom Eternal looks quite amazing in HDR. I've switched it back and forth from HDR on to off in the game and with it on, I feel like I'm in a dark room when there's not much light and a bright room if it's well lit. Rather than every room being quite bright all the time when it's off. It *really* sets the mood of the game and makes a huge difference.

What have I actually done here? Is this just fluke or should we always override to reference mode for all games?
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 20:17:57 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't know what's going on here. Maybe I had some odd mode on like night mode or something... I changed a lot of things... but now I'm more keen to play Doom in HDR some more.

Its quite a drastic difference when it's on, but for whatever reason the drunk clown isn't colouring the rooms any more.
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2021 22:41:58 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Meh. I give up. Fiddled with too many settings, it can make some rooms look so much better, but the menus are almost unreadable and some bright rooms are far too bright, lose detail.

Sod it.
  • chopsen 16 Mar 2021 22:44:38 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I genuinely can't be arsed with HDR. I'm sure it looks amazing but eh fuck it. I'm sticking with 1080p till everything comes to it's senses and works automatically without me thinking about it on everything.
  • Rogueywon 16 Mar 2021 23:55:10 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just tried the Overrise to Reference mode on my PC and... makes no difference. Think my monitor is just a pile of wank.

For reference, my first HDR monitor was a BenQ EL2870U. It's an entry-level 4k HDR monitor, but the HDR on it was pretty impressive, to the extent that I had to turn it down in BL3 when farming Graveward, as the flash when he died was giving me eye-strain.

When we switched to working from home full time last year, I put the EL2870U on the work laptop and got a BenQ EW3270U for the gaming PC. And the HDR on it is fucking atrocious. Same brand, same brightness (300), but a night-and-day difference in quality. Sadly, the older monitor has developed nasty coil whine while plugged in and switched off, which means I don't want to swap them back again.
  • Sharz 17 Mar 2021 08:56:14 2,094 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So been using Logitech kit for a few years and like the hardware, feel, macro keys etc. But the damn software keeps overwriting my profiles and I loose all the custom work on lighting, eq settings and so on. What do people suggest to replace a G815 Keyboard, G935 Headset & G502 Mouse?

Bearing in mind they work fine otherwise and wouldn't want to drop features if can help it. But this loosing profiles Is doing my head in.

Edited by Sharz at 08:57:03 17-03-2021
  • Gregolution 17 Mar 2021 09:14:00 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

For reference, my first HDR monitor was a BenQ EL2870U. It's an entry-level 4k HDR monitor, but the HDR on it was pretty impressive, to the extent that I had to turn it down in BL3 when farming Graveward, as the flash when he died was giving me eye-strain.
    I don't think eye-strain is an example of good HDR :). Seems like most of these monitors are far too bright, eye burningly bright. When I switch on HDR in Doom I can barely read the main menu because it's so overblown in brightness.

OLEDs don't go nearly as bright but produce a much better HDR image, without any need for tweaking either.

I'll try Ori with HDR on.. but that seems to rely on just turning it on for windows and then loading the game, rather than turning it on specifically in game like in Doom. Not sure what the technical difference is there.

Close to giving up on it though.... in a year or 2 I'll get myself a sweet micro LED with ridiculous amount of local dimming, at least 5 times what the top ones available now can do.

Actually.. does anyone here actually have a FALD monitor? I'd be interested to know if it's decent on the current tech.
  • THFourteen 17 Mar 2021 09:25:17 54,532 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gregolution

I have similar experiences in Destiny 2 on my G9. The HDR is controlled in-game so you dont have to use windows, but even after tinkering with the settings within the game, it just doesnt feel right to me, the bright stuff is nice enough, but the dark stuff is so dark that you cant make out any details to the extent that peoples faces dont have any details to them. But i've never seen HDR on a proper tv so i dont really know what its meant to look like tbh.
  • Gregolution 17 Mar 2021 09:34:20 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen

it's so weird. HDR on a good TV just makes the picture look more lifelike. it's not in your face at all, it's purely a more realistic image. That's about it.

I'm going to have to hook up the pc to the OLED now and see what's what. I can't be beaten this easily!
  • captbirdseye 17 Mar 2021 09:40:34 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Good luck hehe. Keep in mind that developers generally do a half arsed job on HDR because the audience isn't there for the PC and why would you bother when Microsoft can't be arsed. It's why you get a mix of games where it's game controlled, Windows or both. I think the only game where it works properly is the last Tomb Raider on PC.
  • Rogueywon 17 Mar 2021 09:51:34 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @captbirdseye The best showcases I've found for HDR on PC are Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Forza Horizon 4 and - in particular - Borderlands 3. I've seen some awful implementations as well - Dirt 5 the worst, but Cyberpunk also pretty bad.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.