Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 239

• bone-on 9 Apr 2021 15:35:28 735 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Ta, can't see anything obvious. Given its age, probably not worth doing much more other than strip the parts out.
    Tbh buddy save the aggro if you can afford it go for a new build
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 15:41:36 99,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I can't really justify a new pc at the moment, so am probably going to get one of the ex-office things linked over which will do for the time being. I don't use it as a gaming pc any more so will sling what I can in that and see how the land lies later this year.
  • Phattso 9 Apr 2021 16:16:26 27,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Forgive the "way out there" suggestion, but if genuinely all you want is web and light office applications, you could just bung a Raspberry Pi in an enclosure and command hook it to the back of your monitor. Job done for not much more than the price of that PSU you're sending back to Amazon.
  • Rogueywon 9 Apr 2021 18:30:51 11,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished assembling my new SecretLab Titan. This feels like a very, very nice chair.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2021 19:30:07 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Forgive the "way out there" suggestion, but if genuinely all you want is web and light office applications, you could just bung a Raspberry Pi in an enclosure and command hook it to the back of your monitor. Job done for not much more than the price of that PSU you're sending back to Amazon.
    If it's anything like my house, he would have to spend the rest of his life listening to complaints about it not being windows and explaining how to print eight thousand times.
  • chopsen 9 Apr 2021 19:42:06 21,884 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Just finished assembling my new SecretLab Titan. This feels like a very, very nice chair.
    Shit. I did too. Is this some kind of Tyler Durden shit we've got going in here?
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Apr 2021 19:43:29 14,136 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am Jack's weirdest boner.
  • THFourteen 9 Apr 2021 20:11:27 54,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I kinda regret my DX racer chair. Itís absolutely fine for 1-2 hour gaming sessions 3 times a week but itís not designed for me to be sitting in it 10 hours a day 4 days a week I donít think.

In hindsight would have got a proper office chair like an IKEA Markus.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2021 20:19:57 86,445 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Iíve got a Markus in the office. I canít pretend Iím in a racing car like a big boy but I can spend a working day sat in it with no aches or pains.
  • Rogueywon 9 Apr 2021 20:21:19 11,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @THFourteen I had one of those racing-style chairs previously. Loved it for the first week, then hated it. Found it incredibly uncomfortable for prolonged use. The nice thing with the SL Titan is that it's not actually a racing-style chair... it's got a lot more in common with a decent office chair.
  • dfunked09 9 Apr 2021 20:28:25 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Mine is OK, but I honestly regret the decision to go with it instead of nicking a proper office chair from work. It's fine for short periods but really not something I'd recommend if you're going to be using it for a full day of work.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2021 21:41:50 99,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

If it's anything like my house, he would have to spend the rest of his life listening to complaints about it not being windows and explaining how to print eight thousand times.
    Yes, absolutely this. I have taken a punt on one of those office SFF things. Will bung in extra RAM and see how it goes. If all else fails, I'll make do for 6 months and then do it properly. Sure I'll find a use for it after.
  • Tomo 10 Apr 2021 10:03:34 19,319 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Just screams Stringfellows to me. The black and gold one at least.

Also got a Markus. Amazing chair for hundred odd quid. Offices should just bulk buy them rather than those shitty blue/red foam monstrosities they pay like 300 quid each for.

Edited by Tomo at 10:05:01 10-04-2021
  • Rogueywon 10 Apr 2021 12:12:47 11,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Tomo Yeah, I got the black version. The black and gold is... a bit much.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2021 16:39:10 99,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

Yes, absolutely this. I have taken a punt on one of those office SFF things. Will bung in extra RAM and see how it goes. If all else fails, I'll make do for 6 months and then do it properly. Sure I'll find a use for it after.
    So, this turned up today. I am actually quite surprised - it runs quite well even with the base 4GB. Downside is that I can't fit in the my wireless card and putting extra RAM is a ballache which I will tackle at some point but cba now. The onboard graphics card is obviously not going to do anything other than the basics (and seems to play Roblox, which will please my son), which is fine. Will do fine as a stop gap
  • bone-on 12 Apr 2021 16:53:56 735 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My Mrs wants an ultra wide monitor for office use only but she has a crappy base unit with onboard graphics from her works.

Do these ultra wide monitors need a beefy gpu to output the res??
  • dfunked09 12 Apr 2021 16:55:51 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Nah, should be fine with integrated graphics I'd say. Use a DisplayPort cable if you can though.
  • kentmonkey 14 Apr 2021 17:52:04 24,254 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's an Android hardware thread if you want to spam that as well
  • Dougs 14 Apr 2021 18:16:56 99,139 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    Nah, should be fine with integrated graphics I'd say. Use a DisplayPort cable if you can though.
    Yeah, I'm using VGA on this ex-office SFF and it struggles. Going to have to get a display port to hdmi cable I think. Thought I had one, but it was DVI to HDMI
  • muddyyfunster 15 Apr 2021 09:37:19 1,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy crap - think I just got a 3080FE from Scan. I will have to see if it gets cancelled. Seems to have been a dump of all the FE cards just after 9 am.

Ctrl Alt Stock Discord alert came up trumps. Thanks to @TH14 for the recommendation.

I did my best to balls it up as well by having my first attempt at payment declined due to accidentally selecting my old address.

Edited by muddyyfunster at 09:39:07 15-04-2021
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 15 Apr 2021 12:49:25 434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @muddyyfunster Hope it works out for you - I thought I had one from Currys this morning, it was in my basket and everything, but the order didn't complete.

Overclockers have got around 20 3090s in stock right now, but £2.6k is a shade more than I'm willing to pay.
  • THFourteen 15 Apr 2021 14:49:50 54,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @muddyyfunster

Ah brilliant! I think in general if your order goes through then itís complete, just takes a while for scan to update order status etc.

I do find the FE to be very noisy, it needed undervolting and fan curve adjusting to make it palatable to me. But equally it is £150 cheaper than the next available card so meh.
  • THFourteen 15 Apr 2021 14:50:09 54,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RaymondLuxuryYacht

Curryís seem fucking useless IMO.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 15 Apr 2021 15:05:46 434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @THFourteen I'm trying to use UK Stock Informer to get alerts on availability and Currys is one of only a few stores they seem to list - alongside OCUK, Ebuyer, Amazon and Novatech. They don't even list Scan for some reason. It felt tantalisingly close though.
  • dfunked09 15 Apr 2021 15:26:06 2,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Yeah, I just started ignoring any stock alerts for Currys after a while. Other stores I got close with (and eventually got there with Amazon.it), but Currys were just a complete waste of time every time.
  • THFourteen 15 Apr 2021 15:37:55 54,532 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yeah the European amazon sites are a good shout too.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 15 Apr 2021 19:28:42 434 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okay so I've tried to set myself up on Discord, but being an out of touch old fart I think I've cocked it up totally. Seem to be getting plenty of spam notifications, but not remotely sure I'll hear anything about a 3080.
  • ukaskew37 20 Apr 2021 07:27:47 322 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Took a bit of flak here for building a new PC back in August, namely buying an RTX 2070 Super and not waiting a few months for one of the new 3XXX cards.

As life is returning to normal and I have no need/time for a gaming PC I've just sold the components individually and made a tidy profit. Bought the 2070 for £449 new, sold it for £650! Most other parts broke even, not bad for 6 months of fairly high end gaming! Had a Game Pass so not really lost anything by now having a bunch of unusable games either.
  • muddyyfunster 28 Apr 2021 14:51:55 1,075 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally got my PC built and configured to a point I'm happy with.

Self-building in the current climate was a challenge but I think I've achieved reasonable value all things considered (although I have to value all the time I spent researching at £0).

MSI B550 A-PRO £115
    5600x £300 (mildly annoyed I missed some deals that would have saved £10-20)
    Arctic 34 Duo cooler £30 (stock fan had an annoying whine I couldn't live with)
    3080 FE £650 (massively lucked out there)
    16GB CL16 3600mhz Crucial RGB RAM £80 (RGB was cheaper for some reason)
    512GB WD BLUE M2 drive £43 (had 3x old SATA SSDs so M2 just for windows).
    TX750M Corsair PSU - £79
    Meshify C Case - £70
    2x Extra Arctic 140mm case fans - £20

So just under £1400 for a reasonably high-end system. Not amazing value for normal times but for the covid era I'm pleased. I've not seen any pre-builts that could compare.

I also bought an AOC CQ27G2U 1440P, 144Hz monitor for £258 which I've been quite impressed by. Great contrast, decent colours, although it doesn't go hugely bright so I have to close the blinds. I didn't really want curved but it was actually significantly cheaper than the flat equivalent. At some point (prob next year) I'll get two more for triples so keeping the price down was important.

PC is running great and the actual build was easy. I hadn't done one for about 15 years and things have definitely become more straight forward in that time.

The only real aggravation is significant coil whine from the 3080 FE under heavy load. I wear headphones so it's not a huge drama but irritating after taking a reasonable amount of care to ensure the rest of the system is whisper quiet. Still can't really complain seeing as I actually managed to get one at RRP.

Just need to get a cockpit for my Fanatec stuff and then I'm good to get back to sim racing.

Until then, what's the best PC game or tech demo for shiny graphics to put the machine through its paces?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.