Building A Gaming PC - Parts Advice Needed Page 240

Next Last
  • dfunked09 28 Apr 2021 15:02:58 2,001 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Flight Sim is a great tech demo imo. Absolute pain in the tits to install though!

Control and Cyberpunk are good ones to play as round with DLSS/RT

Nice work on getting a 3080

Edited by dfunked09 at 15:03:46 28-04-2021
  • crashVoodoo 28 Apr 2021 15:07:40 7,169 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Cyberpunk?
  • Rogueywon 28 Apr 2021 15:08:39 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cyberpunk is a great test-bed for a new build, particularly with an Ampere card. For all the talk about bugs, the PC version looks fantastic and (mostly) plays great.
  • muddyyfunster 28 Apr 2021 15:51:52 1,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers all.

Flight Sim I did actually install from Game Pass and yes it was absolutely ridiculous. Took several days of downloading overnight for some reason. Then when I opened it up I realised that playing on the keyboard would be rubbish so I installed a PS4 pad converter (haven;t got xbox) only to then find that Flight Sim did recognise all the buttons, but also insisted that I map every single one manually... in a flight sim with about a million controls, most of which are essentially Greek to me. CNBA.

Cyberpunk I'm very interested in trying. I've played the first ten hours or so on PS5 and was loving it, but parked it until the next-gen update was released. I'm just a bit loathed to give CDPR even more money when it's still not 'finished'.

In the early to mid-noughties when I was last into PC gaming you could rely on 3D Mark for 'wow' moments. The bump-mapped dragon, the Matrix lobby scene rip off and the nature/rain droplet demo were all jaw dropping at the time. With that in mind, I naively went and installed the latest 3D Mark expecting more of the same and was less than fully whelmed by the results. I guess these days the budgets involved mean that the games themselves are better tech demos than the tech demos!

Edited by muddyyfunster at 15:53:05 28-04-2021
  • Rogueywon 28 Apr 2021 16:50:26 11,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Going off the EG frontpage DF article, it sounds like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition might be the game you're after as a tech showcase. It's out next week (free if you own the original).
  • KD 28 Apr 2021 17:11:44 3,372 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dirt Rally 2 goty is a tenner at cdkeys, Dirt 5 also looks nice after seeing the console ones, Hitman with all the AI and graphics up. Star Wars Squadrons, one of the last 2 Call of Duties.
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 May 2021 10:01:20 1,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks to the stock Discord, I think I've managed to order an MSI gaming X trio 3090 this morning for the low low price of 1400... which somehow feels both almost reasonable and utterly ridiculous.

I want a 3080 really... but still toying with keeping it. Could finally cancel my Overclockers order and get my 700 back. Would get maybe 500 for my Vega 64 if I'm lucky. And I'd actually have a new GPU!

Still though. That's like double what I wanted to spend... how do the top end cards hold their value? You're paying a huge premium for The Best Card, so when new ones come out does their resale value drop off a cliff?
  • captbirdseye 4 May 2021 10:12:35 10,829 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's all a mess on resale value. I have seen 1660s go for 500 lol. I very much doubt the price on your card will drop significantly in the next 12 months. Nvidia seem to be 18 months out on the next series of cards

It looks like the 3080ti and 3070ti should be released this month and rumours have suggested they will retire the 3070 and 3080.
  • muddyyfunster 4 May 2021 10:28:45 1,075 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Historically yes. In normal market conditions, there's a price premium for being 'fastest' and that premium disappears whenever another card takes the crown, especially if it's another one from Nvidia. At present, though, prices are solely about supply and demand. If a 3090 Ti is released right now, I expect it would probably just slot in as an even more expensive top-end rather than shunting everything in the stack down a level.

There's also going to be a 3080Ti and we don't yet know how close that will be to 3090 and what availability will be like. In the unlikely event it's more widely available that would presumably drop 3090s value.

It's a tricky one for sure. On the one hand, you've managed to get a card for 1400 that would right now sell on ebay for 2500+ so in that sense you should absolutely complete the order. Of course, if you do immediately sell it for an inflated profit you are part of the scalping problem and are exploiting people that really want a 3090.

I'd buy it, use it, enjoy it, and also try and get a 3080 at a sensible price in the meantime, whilst monitoring second hand 3090 prices for signs of a significant reduction in value. When that comes you can either choose to sell and recover your investment or keep it accepting you get enough value from it.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about and my predictions are worthless.
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 May 2021 10:49:49 1,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • OnlyJoeKing 4 May 2021 10:49:50 1,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haha. Cheers.... I wouldn't normally give this a second thought. But if I don't get it then who knows when I'll get one? Could be waiting till next year. And there's an opportunity cost too really, time isn't standing still. And I have an 850w PSU already for some reason. It's tempting.

I guess, worst case, the 3080ti comes out at a reasonable price, and I manage to get one - as you say I'd probably get my money back through eBay anyway.
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 May 2021 13:43:48 1,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems it was a scam. Oh well. Disappointing, but I'll not have to pay. The hunt continues :(
  • OnlyJoeKing 10 May 2021 13:46:15 1,234 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That 1400 graphics card was just too good to be true, lol
  • dsmx 10 May 2021 18:32:41 8,638 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not sure if this helps now but scan.co.uk had a drop of nvidia 3000 series gpu's and actually bothered to put some anti-scalping tech in place.

So I was actually able to get hold of a 3060ti founders edition for about 380 including postage.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.