The Scottish Fitba Thread v3.0 Page 36

• docrob 5 Jan 2019 22:09:17 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whilst Celtic may concede the fewest fouls per game due to superior technique (the usual explanation), that doesnít explain why they get the fewest YCs per foul committed.

Personally I would like to see the loophole closed that an incident given a booking by the ref cannot be upgraded to a red card Ďbecause the referee saw it during the gameí. When Hearts and TTFKAR were both in the Championship, Kenny Miller committed one of the worst challenges I have ever seen in Kevin McHattie. Deliberate, premeditated, two-footed and intended to injure, it was the clearest straight red you will ever see. McHattie was out for three or four months. Miller got a YC and was immune from any further sanction.
  • AaronTurner 5 Jan 2019 22:18:14 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Well I'd disagree that it was pre-meditated and intended to injure, for starters he took the ball. It was a poor strikers challenge that deserved to be carded.

Regardless, I agree with your point, just not that it always requires an example of a rangers player fouling to get the point across, there are plenty out there and it's not just rangers that are guilty.
  • Dgzter 5 Jan 2019 22:21:14 2,629 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Youíre surely not suggesting an SFA conspiracy are you docrob? :-P

And completely agreed on your second point, the current regulations are farsical.
  • docrob 5 Jan 2019 22:25:32 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Well I'd disagree that it was pre-meditated and intended to injure, for starters he took the ball. It was a poor strikers challenge that deserved to be carded.

Regardless, I agree with your point, just not that it always requires an example of a rangers player fouling to get the point across, there are plenty out there and it's not just rangers that are guilty.
    Are you actually serious? Miller sprints 30 yards straight at McHattie and lunges at him two-footed, well over the ball, with no attempt to check his speed or control the impact. Itís not a tackle, itís an assault.

Iím not exaggerating by calling it one of the worst Ďtacklesí Iíve ever seen,
  • AaronTurner 5 Jan 2019 22:46:08 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think you're misremembering it, he does take the ball, however I think it's still worthy of a card.
  • docrob 6 Jan 2019 00:00:31 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AaronTurner I am really not. The only thing I have Ďmisrememberedí is the distance Miller ran - itís more like 20 yards rather than 30.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PLrj9WsT6mE#

I throw this open to the thread. The incident takes place at 39:10 in the video.

Any country in the world other than Scotland, that is the clearest straight red you will ever see.

Edited by docrob at 00:01:06 06-01-2019
  • AaronTurner 6 Jan 2019 07:39:45 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I never denied that it was worth a card, but I disagree with your description that it was well over the ball and was pre-meditated with the intent to injure.

And anyway, my point is that the discussions don't always require an example of a rangers player doing something, there are plenty of examples of bad tackles in our game and they aren't just rangers players that have committed them.

Edited by AaronTurner at 09:08:34 06-01-2019
  • docrob 6 Jan 2019 09:21:54 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I never denied that it was worth a card, but I disagree with your description that it was well over the ball and was pre-meditated with the intent to injure.

And anyway, my point is that the discussions don't always require an example of a rangers player doing something, there are plenty of examples of bad tackles in our game and they aren't just rangers players that have committed them.
    Iím using it as an example of a terrible tackle which went effectively unpunished, as the ref only gave it a booking, and the rules say a red card canít be given for a challenge for which the ref gave a yellow. The club involved isnít actually important, though I would say that thereís no way an Aberdeen or Hibs player, say, wouldnít have walked for that.
  • AaronTurner 6 Jan 2019 09:23:28 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You say all the right things and then ruin it all with your last sentence, which is absolute rubbish.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2019 10:57:47 25,927 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:

Is whatabouttery your response to absolutely everything?
  • Vortex808 6 Jan 2019 11:02:00 13,070 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes it is.

docrob, you're just wasting your breath.
  • QBX 6 Jan 2019 11:23:08 30 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Congratulation to the Scotland Sixes team for a convincing win against the auld enemy and going second in the table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XLzXlZMVWA

Now to bring on the RoW.
  • AaronTurner 6 Jan 2019 11:40:39 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is the point that the system needs to be changed and that officiating needs to improve in Scotland, or is the point that a rangers player committed a bad challenge that I agree was worth a card? I donít agree that it was a deliberate attempt to injure and I definitely donít agree that it was well over the ball because I can see with my own eyes that he took the ball.

I have a lot of beefs with the officiating, Rangers have been at the end of some terrible tackles of late that have ended our players seasons and with no penalisation for the opposition or retrospective action taken. We even had an opposition player boasting about laughing at a rangers player crying from a broken nose on the pitch and calling it a lot of fun. I just donít see the point in bringing in these kind of microscopic, specific issues where rangers always appear to be the villains.
  • AaronTurner 6 Jan 2019 11:47:47 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The narrative after this latest old firm match is an absolute farce now. Youíd think Morelos was the only player on the pitch. There is absolutely no balanced reporting on the match, itís changed from one where Rangers hosed Celtic to one where Rangers fouled their way to victory. No one seems to give a shit that Brown did his normal dirty stuff or that we were denied a penalty, Scotland is mad.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2019 13:04:07 25,927 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Haha, itís an endless stream of whatabouttery!!!
  • Frogofdoom 6 Jan 2019 18:50:18 12,166 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That tackle above was a straight red easily. It was nowhere near the worst challenge I have seen though.
  • docrob 7 Jan 2019 18:37:14 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    That tackle above was a straight red easily. It was nowhere near the worst challenge I have seen though.
    OK, Iíll admit to a degree of exaggeration there. Nobody is telling me Miller didnít know exactly what he was doing though.
  • docrob 7 Jan 2019 18:53:34 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Iíve just seen that Craig Levein has been given a 2-match touchline ban (one suspended) for criticising a referee.

Neil Lennon did the EXACT same thing a few weeks ago - Levein actually quoted him directly in his comments. Steven Gerrard is also on the record complaining about decisions this season, and then thereís the statement from Celtic over the Morelos incident. None of these have led to any sanction at all.

Iíd say this was a joke, except itís not funny.
  • AaronTurner 7 Jan 2019 20:11:22 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's crazy, I just looked at Lennon's comment and it is pretty much identical if not worse.

To be honest I think saying you're playing against 12 men is a step too far. Managers should be able to voice their opinions on what the referee got right or wrong, but saying they are a twelfth man is basically saying they are cheats.
  • Dgzter 7 Jan 2019 20:46:09 2,629 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds ridiculous. Was this due to his comments after you played Rangers?

In transfer news: looks like weíve now confirmed the loan of George Weahís son from PSG. Heís a striker, but only 18. We definitely needed another forward, but Iím wondering if slightly more experience would have been nice, so hoping we can also secure Bayo as well.

Also, George Weah is the president of Liberia lol
  • fontgeeksogood 7 Jan 2019 20:50:03 5,036 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Erm...did Weah recommend him
  • Dgzter 7 Jan 2019 20:53:21 2,629 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    Erm...did Weah recommend him
    Haha aye itís his Ďsoní. Souness speaks highly of him too, I hear.
  • docrob 7 Jan 2019 21:43:13 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Sounds ridiculous. Was this due to his comments after you played Rangers?

In transfer news: looks like weíve now confirmed the loan of George Weahís son from PSG. Heís a striker, but only 18. We definitely needed another forward, but Iím wondering if slightly more experience would have been nice, so hoping we can also secure Bayo as well.

Also, George Weah is the president of Liberia lol
    Aye, after the offside Morelos Ďgoalí.

He was challenging them to ban him, saying they couldnít do it because they didnít ban Lennon - but they did anyway. I doubt we have heard the last of this.

Vladimir Romanov was lampooned mercilessly in the Scottish media for speaking out against the double standards, bias and corruption in Scottish football. Vlad was undeniably a nutcase, but this is something he got absolutely correct,
  • Dgzter 8 Jan 2019 20:17:19 2,629 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like thatís Bayo confirmed now as well. 4 year deal; c.£2m. Glad weíve managed to get business done early this window.

Some right-back cover would also be great, please.
  • AaronTurner 9 Jan 2019 08:39:20 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spiers on Sportsound the other day "No one thought the referee had a good game"

Spiers on twitter after the match described the referee performance as "Terrific".

To be honest I think the problem may reside more squarely with the media and the fans of Scottish football. When I think about Rangers' European run I can recall a number of crazy referee decisions that probably even stopped us progressing from the group stage - the decisions were just as bad as those we experienced in Scotland, for instance Candieas got a red card for simply standing close to a stramash without being involved and we had a goal wrongly disallowed at Spartak Moscow.

The scrutiny that refs are put under these days must be exhausting, why would you do it? It's a wonder they don't just pack it in.

I was thinking VAR would help them out, but actually I'm going back on that now, I think VAR slows the game down and isn't enjoyable as a spectacle. I feel like the best way we could improve our referees would be to employ them full time. We are a professional league, it's ridiculous that we rely on part time officials to keep our game going.

On another note, the last time a ref strike occured was when Rangers won the league last - what an omen :p
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2019 08:59:42 25,927 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Spiers on Sportsound the other day "No one thought the referee had a good game"

Spiers on twitter after the match described the referee performance as "Terrific".

To be honest I think the problem may reside more squarely with the media and the fans of Scottish football. When I think about Rangers' European run I can recall a number of crazy referee decisions that probably even stopped us progressing from the group stage - the decisions were just as bad as those we experienced in Scotland, for instance Candieas got a red card for simply standing close to a stramash without being involved and we had a goal wrongly disallowed at Spartak Moscow.

The scrutiny that refs are put under these days must be exhausting, why would you do it? It's a wonder they don't just pack it in.

I was thinking VAR would help them out, but actually I'm going back on that now, I think VAR slows the game down and isn't enjoyable as a spectacle. I feel like the best way we could improve our referees would be to employ them full time. We are a professional league, it's ridiculous that we rely on part time officials to keep our game going.

On another note, the last time a ref strike occured was when Rangers won the league last - what an omen :p
    What a pile of shite.
  • AaronTurner 9 Jan 2019 12:55:28 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That daily record article from today is pretty scathing, however as with all these articles with anonymous sources, it's hard to judge how truthful it is. It does look like there is a fracture between the SFA and the referees.
  • LionheartDJH 23 Jan 2019 21:46:11 20,291 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Killie Rangers game was pretty entertaining. Jordan Jones already making an enemy of his new club, good to see him celebrate properly still.
  • AaronTurner 24 Jan 2019 13:36:03 10,476 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Why is it people who don't like Rangers always talk about Rangers? :D
  • docrob 24 Jan 2019 13:40:07 1,120 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Why is it people who don't like Rangers always talk about Rangers? :D
    Years of systematic cheating, no real punishment, and a total lack of remorse?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.