The Scottish Fitba Thread v3.0 Page 37

• pogomeister 24 Jan 2019 13:40:34 1,678 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Why is it people who don't like Rangers always talk about Rangers? :D
    This is the stock rangers fan reply to anything said about there precious club
  • Armoured_Bear 24 Jan 2019 14:35:36 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Years of systematic cheating, no real punishment, and a total lack of remorse?
    Sense of entitlement, arrogance and an utterly blinkered view of the world as well as a laughable superiority complex also.
    “We are the peepul “
  • AaronTurner 24 Jan 2019 15:24:23 10,628 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Lol, systematic cheating ;)
  • docrob 25 Jan 2019 21:54:08 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Lol, systematic cheating ;)
    Hilarious. Yes, systematic cheating. The EBT system was not just illegal - the whole concept of side letters is forbidden by SFA/SFL regulations. Rangers broke both the law and the rules to sign a raft of players they simply couldn’t have afforded by playing fair. There is a word for this, and the word is ‘cheating’. Performed systematically, for years.

If the authorities in Scotland had any balls at all, every single trophy won in the EBT era would have been struck from the record. Even the Italian FA had the guts to remove two titles from Juve after they were caught match fixing.

You may think that enough time has passed that you can act as if this is all laughable nonsense. You are wrong. Some stains do not wash out.
  • AaronTurner 25 Jan 2019 22:32:17 10,628 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Lol, coming from a Hearts fan ;)
  • docrob 26 Jan 2019 00:12:55 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Nice attempt at whataboutery. Won't wash though. Hearts didn't break any laws or any rules and the club didn't die.
  • Vortex808 26 Jan 2019 01:00:44 13,093 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did you expect anything else rob?
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jan 2019 01:29:42 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What do you guys think of Levein's latest handbags?

Linky
  • Dgzter 26 Jan 2019 07:56:03 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I gather Stewart and him don’t get on? Meh, public spats always seem a bit silly, especially when they get a tad personal.

I can understand the frustration from Levein, though. They had a great start to the season and then got absolutely nailed by injuries. 8 points off Killie in second isn’t insurmountable, however.

What’s the general consensus amongst Hearts fans about how Levein is doing?
  • Dgzter 26 Jan 2019 08:05:06 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    With regards to doing things in the public eye: I wasn’t particularly pleased with Rodgers’s comments on the potential Shved signing.

He should know better than that. Everyone knows that there’s some tension about the signing policy, certainly after our disastrous Summer window, but why give the media more silly ‘drama’ to salivate over? Pointless, self-inflicted, and just fuels speculation over his future this Summer—all at a time when we’ve actually responded well to the defeat to Sevco before the winter break.

Gah. Frustrating.
  • AaronTurner 26 Jan 2019 08:32:58 10,628 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Nice attempt at whataboutery. Won't wash though. Hearts didn't break any laws or any rules and the club didn't die.
    What's the point in discussing it, everyone's opinions are so firmly entrenched that there isn't a point.

Pretty sure Hearts did break the rules, non payment of taxes, parent company in administration. I don't see a huge difference, one was retrospectively seen as tax avoidance. The side letters are nonsense, it's little more than an administrative issue. At the end of the day rangers used a common loophole to avoid paying tax, something I think is wrong, but to say so clearly that it's cheating raises my eyebrows.
  • Jono62 26 Jan 2019 08:35:18 21,962 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What's going on with Neil Lennon?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47010599
  • Dgzter 26 Jan 2019 08:40:05 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks like curtains for Lennon. Appears to be following an ‘altercation’ with several other members of staff, so sayeth the Twitter oracles at least ...
  • AaronTurner 26 Jan 2019 09:26:35 10,628 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some mad rumours going about at the moment.
  • AaronTurner 26 Jan 2019 09:29:48 10,628 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Not sure if it's the players that are revolting or if it's just Neil Lennon that's revolting.
  • docrob 26 Jan 2019 19:41:52 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    I gather Stewart and him don’t get on? Meh, public spats always seem a bit silly, especially when they get a tad personal.

I can understand the frustration from Levein, though. They had a great start to the season and then got absolutely nailed by injuries. 8 points off Killie in second isn’t insurmountable, however.

What’s the general consensus amongst Hearts fans about how Levein is doing?
    Stewart is a boyhood Hearts fan, but he HATES Levein. He won’t even speak his name on air if he can avoid it. It dates back to a comment Levein made about him as a player - which, roughly, was that Hearts had paid a nominal £1 for Stewart’s services, and that he thought even that was poor value for money. Harsh, though Stewart was a big disappointment in a Hearts shirt.

We certainly did get nailed by injuries - but the players are now coming back one by one, and things aren’t improving massively. We are very reliant on Naismith (suspended v Dundee). A lot of the support are frustrated with Levein, due to negative tactics, a shocking record v Celtic & Sevco, and a questionable record in the transfer market. A few players (particularly Demetri Mitchell, Sean Clare and now David Vanecek) arrived with great fanfare and have been underwhelming.
  • docrob 26 Jan 2019 19:51:52 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    What's the point in discussing it, everyone's opinions are so firmly entrenched that there isn't a point.

Pretty sure Hearts did break the rules, non payment of taxes, parent company in administration. I don't see a huge difference, one was retrospectively seen as tax avoidance. The side letters are nonsense, it's little more than an administrative issue. At the end of the day rangers used a common loophole to avoid paying tax, something I think is wrong, but to say so clearly that it's cheating raises my eyebrows.
    Oh, come off it! The only similarity was that both clubs were living beyond their means.

Hearts were bankrolled by Romanov. Then his company went bust and they withdrew their support.

Rangers spent about 15 years paying players via an illegal tax avoidance scheme.

There is a big difference between spending money someone gives you, and intentionally hiding your players’ wages from the taxman. There’s about a million other differences between the situations too, but this one will do.
  • docrob 26 Jan 2019 19:51:54 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    docrob wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

Oh, come off it! The only similarity was that both clubs were living beyond their means.

Hearts were bankrolled by Romanov. Then his company went bust and they withdrew their support.

Rangers spent about 15 years paying players via an illegal tax avoidance scheme.

There is a big difference between spending money someone gives you, and intentionally hiding your players’ wages from the taxman. There’s about a million other differences between the situations too, but this one will do.
  • Dgzter 26 Jan 2019 20:07:23 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @docrob

Cheers for that; interesting to read. Good result today, mind.

Looked like a hard fought point for Killie at Pittodrie as well—especially given the Kris Boyd red card. Steve Clarke’s doing a strong job there.

Top half of the league is shaping up nicely, I feel.
  • Dgzter 26 Jan 2019 20:09:56 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    May also be my perennial pessimism talking, but I suspect Rodgers will be off at the end of the season :(

I hope I’m wrong, but also wouldn’t hold it against the chap at this stage.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jan 2019 22:05:09 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    May also be my perennial pessimism talking, but I suspect Rodgers will be off at the end of the season :(

I hope I’m wrong, but also wouldn’t hold it against the chap at this stage.
    I’ll be genuinely shocked if he doesn’t go .
    No too manager will put up with Lawell :-(
  • Andee 27 Jan 2019 08:48:20 1,026 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Generally avoid this thread as it often gets a bit ugly.

Criticism of Lawwell vs Rodgers is a bit daft though. It was Rodgers 'everything I wanted' window that resulted in Musonda, Hendry and Compper. And apart from Sinclair in the first season, the rest have been awful too.

Pretty much need the board to follow scouting suggestions and avoid the Congerton/Rodgers approach to recruitment.
  • LionheartDJH 27 Jan 2019 08:59:29 20,291 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodgers' recruitment at Liverpool was also very hit and miss. I know it was a different set up to Celtic and it could be argued he had less of a say with the infamous 'transfer committee'. But for every star there's 2 flops, some real big money ones too.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Transfers/ByManager/25/1
  • Andee 27 Jan 2019 09:25:53 1,026 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It all adds up pretty much though. His best players at Liverpool were already there. At Celtic, the same applies, and the players he specifically suggested that were his or Congerton's have been poor.

He's a great coach, but the scouting/recruiting system pre-Rodgers seems to be more efficient. So despite his complaints, keeping a recruiting system not entirely tied the manager makes most sense.
  • Armoured_Bear 27 Jan 2019 19:00:18 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh dear, Rangers pitch invasion in celebration at beating Livingston!!!

Red neck doesn't cover it.
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2019 10:27:53 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sigh.
    Celtic have 38.6 Million quid in the bank, pretty clear the utter lack of ambition the club has :(
  • docrob 13 Feb 2019 13:10:27 1,136 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Sigh.
    Celtic have 38.6 Million quid in the bank, pretty clear the utter lack of ambition the club has :(
    They have more than enough money to walk the SPL every season, and nowhere near enough to attract the kind of players they would need to compete at the top end in Europe. What are they going to spend it on?
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2019 14:08:43 26,219 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Sigh.
    They have more than enough money to walk the SPL every season, and nowhere near enough to attract the kind of players they would need to compete at the top end in Europe. What are they going to spend it on?
    Buy better players than they have now, good enough to be sure of the CL group stages.
  • Dgzter 15 Feb 2019 11:02:11 2,688 posts
    Seen 37 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, it was genuinely quite depressing watching the Celtic vs Valencia game last night—well, for me at least lol :)

The gulf in class between their severely weakened line-up and our own really does speak volumes. I would be truly fascinated to see some extensive statistical analysis of the amount of unforced errors Celtic make during European matches. I suspect it must be truly record-breaking numbers.

Thinking about what Ecosse and docrob were chatting about above, it is interesting to think where Celtic realistically need to pitch themselves these days. We are no where near the standard for the CL—though given the financial boon for securing group stage participation, we need to be competing at enough of a level to make that a realistic possibility each year. As for the Europa League, we seem to be able to level peg with the middling teams, but as soon as we come across any decent opposition we tend to be hopelessly exposed (Salzburg, Valencia etc.). Domestically, on the other hand, we have unrivalled financial clout to give us the best possible chance of winning the league each year.

So, where to pitch our level of investment and, consequently, our level of ambition? I’m not as critical of Lawell as many Celtic fans. To my mind, one look over the city should be enough to convince anyone that financial stability is of paramount importance—and coupled with the fact that we have been dominant domestically for a long time now, it seems hard to argue too vociferously against the current running of the club.

But there will come a time when Celtic will not win the league, and a time when we do not have a manager of Rodgers’ calibre. I’d be fascinated to know what the current 5/10-year plan is, in terms of these eventualities.
  • Gruff 15 Feb 2019 13:03:20 3,394 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Invest in the academies to the extent that Ajax do, don't just pay lip service to it. Have a way of playing and a technical competence throughout every level might take years but that would be a legacy.

We have not progressed technically or tactically in Europe. Needs a real commitment to the system Rogers wants to play at Celtic, but short termism will always win out at Celtic and Scotland in general with the current structure.

We don't have the money that the English Premier League squanders so why would would you not maximise your return on what you do have.

But trying to get teams to look past their own interests is like herding cats

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.