The Scottish Fitba Thread v3.0 Page 51

• AaronTurner 18 Jan 2020 13:43:45 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm sure SOME of them are.

Rangers are right to put out a statement. I'm not bothered about Beale, but my understanding is that Kent and Morelos are included in the details of the complaint, which is utterly ludicrous. If it turns out that is the case then we are going down a huge, huge rabbit hole and I hope the club punt the SFA to fuck.

Edited by AaronTurner at 13:43:57 18-01-2020
  • Dgzter 18 Jan 2020 14:11:18 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus, how about reeling in the hyperbole? Players being sanctioned for gestures made during football matches, either to opposition players/managers or supporters, is hardly anything unprecedented.

Were we heading down 'a huge, huge rabbit hole' when Scott Brown was taken to task for literally standing in the same spot next to El Hadji Diouf? Or when Neil Lennon did an aeroplane celebration on the pitch after an Old Firm win? Or countless other incidents that happen up and down the country to teams who are neither Celtic nor Rangers?

Also, what on earth do you mean 'I hope the club punt the SFA to fuck'?
  • AaronTurner 18 Jan 2020 15:20:52 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Do you actually believe that either Kent or Morelos should be in trouble? Just asking, because if the answer is yes then it's not just that we're not on the same page, it's that we're on a completely different book.
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jan 2020 15:41:04 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AaronTurner

Haha.
  • Dgzter 18 Jan 2020 15:58:58 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AaronTurner

It's good that you asked, because I had a feeling you were assuming my attitude towards those decisions.

On Kent, no. Though, and this is not directed at Kent personally nor that incident in particular, I do wish football players in general would refrain from making 'gun' gestures. Not trying to be too stuffy, but I think the time has long passed where that sort of symbolism should be allowed. Bugs me if I ever see a Celtic player do it.

On Morelos, it should just be the standard additional booking, which would be proportionate with other incidences of players/managers getting involved acrimoniously with the crowd. There's a lot of hysterics about it, but that should be the end of the matter. I don't see the need for any further sanction.

My main gripe, however, is the hypocrisy from many Rangers supporters and certain elements in the Scottish media, who are often very quick to call out the same hypocrisy when it comes from the idiots in the Celtic support. Certainly, I look forward to Tom English's next essay, presumably eviscerating Rangers for having the temerity to issue any sort of statement on an issue that directly affects them. I'm sure he'll be as righteous in his moral fury and condemnation as he is whenever he writes about Celtic.
  • AaronTurner 18 Jan 2020 16:09:51 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think a lot of fans are still very peeved about Candieas' booking for blowing kisses last season, which the SFA doubled down on on appeal. The whole system needs shot and the SFA needs to be modernised from head to toe.

Neither player for me should have gave any case to answer, I don't think Morelos did even gesture to the crowd. It's not only the ridiculous nature of the charges, why did it come out in the hours leading to us playing a game? There has been nearly 3 weeks for this...
  • Armoured_Bear 18 Jan 2020 16:43:29 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How dare anyone complain at throat slitting and shooting gestures? Itís a conspiracy against the mighty Rangers, donít the know we are the people?
    No surrender to the SFA.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 19 Jan 2020 00:00:45 166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Certainly, I look forward to Tom English's next essay, presumably eviscerating Rangers for having the temerity to issue any sort of statement on an issue that directly affects them. I'm sure he'll be as righteous in his moral fury and condemnation as he is whenever he writes about Celtic.
    It's amazing what a change in perspective makes, because from what I've seen Rangers supporters have nothing but resentment for 'Tom Irish' and his biased pro-Celtic opinion pieces, but here you are with a completely different view on the matter. Maybe, as a journalist covering the top tier in Scotland, you simply just can't win 🙃

I'm becoming suspicious of the SFA, who are promoters of their product after all, with these timed-release sanctions and retrospective bans and such. Nothing better to keep punters interested during the winter break than a steady supply of controversy.
  • Dgzter 19 Jan 2020 08:12:25 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, to be clear, I'm not suggesting Tom English is particularly favourable towards Rangers either. It's just that he's a petty and vindictive arse piece any time he has to write about Celtic 'off the pitch', so to speak.

Anyway, game was pish yesterday. Celtic dominant, but it was very underwhelming stuff. I like how Lennon's response to the derby loss over Christmas was to not play any wingers and pack the midfield against Partick in the cup lol
  • Tetsuo_Shima 22 Jan 2020 14:56:58 166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    First league games after the break tonight, any thoughts? On paper you would say Celtic have the harder job away at Killie, facing better opposition on an abysmal playing surface, but I've got a feeling St Mirren will put up a concrete defence tonight and could hold out for a point at Ibrox.

Edited by Tetsuo_Shima at 14:57:29 22-01-2020
  • Gaol 22 Jan 2020 15:15:07 3,496 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Celtic will struggle on the plastic pitch and lose 1-0. St Mirren will be blown away 5-0 at Ibrox.

In the next few weeks, Celtic will start to panic and Lennon will lose the dressing room, leading to several draws and defeats while Rangers continue to dole out drubbings as their march to league title 55 picks up pace.

Hopefully.
  • Dgzter 22 Jan 2020 15:53:29 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gaol

Lol I really wish there was a part of me that didn't actually believe that :) I've definitely got the fear

As to tonight, I agree it'll be interesting to see how Celtic fair at Killie. We were really lacklustre against Partick and a pishing cauld night on a plastic pitch is just exactly the type of setting where I could see us struggling. Hopefully that's just my perennial pessimism talking, though.

Rangers should comfortably win tonight. To be honest, I expect them to win all their remaining homes games (with the possible exception of the last tie against us).
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2020 17:17:31 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    @Gaol

Lol I really wish there was a part of me that didn't actually believe that :) I've definitely got the fear

As to tonight, I agree it'll be interesting to see how Celtic fair at Killie. We were really lacklustre against Partick and a pishing cauld night on a plastic pitch is just exactly the type of setting where I could see us struggling. Hopefully that's just my perennial pessimism talking, though.

Rangers should comfortably win tonight. To be honest, I expect them to win all their remaining homes games (with the possible exception of the last tie against us).
    I can definitely see it.
    Despite the good Europa run, I don't have faith in Lennon, as a coach he's ridiculously behind Rodgers.
    I do wonder if losing the league would be for the good in maybe getting some action against the board and getting shot of PL.
  • Gaol 22 Jan 2020 19:40:11 3,496 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Interesting reactions, first time in years we're not laughed out the room when trolling Celtic fans. Celtic still have the better overall squad, but there is a definite worry from any I speak to, mainly around Lennon.

Next two are huge for us, missing Morelos and Tav - any win will do as imo Morelos, Tav and Barisic have been key to our system working this year.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2020 19:46:29 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Interesting reactions, first time in years we're not laughed out the room when trolling Celtic fans. Celtic still have the better overall squad, but there is a definite worry from any I speak to, mainly around Lennon.

Next two are huge for us, missing Morelos and Tav - any win will do as imo Morelos, Tav and Barisic have been key to our system working this year.
    That's the problem, Celtic should be quite comfortable against Rangers with a clearly better squad but that's a few games where Gerrard clearly seems to have the better of Lennon.
  • Tetsuo_Shima 22 Jan 2020 20:35:11 166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Celtic will struggle on the plastic pitch and lose 1-0. St Mirren will be blown away 5-0 at Ibrox.

In the next few weeks, Celtic will start to panic and Lennon will lose the dressing room, leading to several draws and defeats while Rangers continue to dole out drubbings as their march to league title 55 picks up pace.

Hopefully.
    An optimist! A rare breed, you don't see many of those in the wild 🙃 I prefer to stick to the doom and gloom, it takes the edge off of the sting when the inevitable happens. That being said, Defoe and Barisic have conspired to put one in the onion bag.

Edited by Tetsuo_Shima at 20:37:50 22-01-2020
  • AaronTurner 22 Jan 2020 20:47:56 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I can't really think of any Celtic players I'd want ahead of our first team squad these days.
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2020 22:11:31 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I can't really think of any Celtic players I'd want ahead of our first team squad these days.
    Haha!
    I love your humour
  • Tetsuo_Shima 23 Jan 2020 08:48:58 166 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd have Jullien for Goldson, I'd have MacGregor for Kamara (as good as Kamara is), I'd think about Forster over McGregor ... ... ... and I'd have …douard over Morelos 😐
  • Dgzter 23 Jan 2020 10:52:21 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Glad to see Frimpong's injury isn't as bad as first feared. Apparently he was walking about afterwards, which suggests it might just have been bruising.

Interesting question about the two squads. Think Gerrard's done very well with what he's put together as a first team, but Celtic definitely have the better overall squad--even if they don't always play like it!

Kent's the best Rangers player for me. Morelos might be able to make the step up if he does something about his discipline, but regardless of his goal tally I think Edouard is undoubtedly the bigger talent.

Genuinely no idea what to expect of Celtic's two new signings. I hear Soro is meant to be a combative, industrious, engine room type, which would be welcome given we have absolutely zero cover for Brown if he's out or off his game.
  • AaronTurner 23 Jan 2020 12:37:45 11,622 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think Celtic do have the better overall squad, but that's in depth. For the actual first team it's much of a muchness.
  • Dgzter 27 Jan 2020 11:13:42 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of an unexpected result yesterday. Just watched the highlights and Hearts looked like they got themselves up for it.

Rangers strangely subdued and profligate in front of goal. Gerrard must be frustrated, as it's a carbon copy of what happened after the break last year. Tough game with Aberdeen at the weekend, too. Though I think Morelos might be back for that? This is the issue with picking up silly red cards; he may have been the difference for them at Tynecastle yesterday.

Not sure about Stendel, but if Hearts can string a run together they may well escape.

Celtic were average against Ross County. Edouard off the bench made the difference. We're going to really miss him when he goes in the summer.

Edited by Dgzter at 11:14:58 27-01-2020
  • Dgzter 27 Jan 2020 11:14:07 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kent's goal was fantastic, mind. Lovely move and finish.
  • Gaol 1 Feb 2020 17:00:47 3,496 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well that's the league slipping away again. Not helped by the ref today. But you've got to wonder what the hell happens on these trips to Dubai cause it's a different Rangers team that comes back.
  • Armoured_Bear 1 Feb 2020 21:39:21 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Well that's the league slipping away again. Not helped by the ref today. But you've got to wonder what the hell happens on these trips to Dubai cause it's a different Rangers team that comes back.
    Quite simply, your team isn't that good, you've been flattered by Lennon as he is a mediocre manager.
  • Gaol 1 Feb 2020 23:27:54 3,496 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Gaol wrote:
    Quite simply, your team isn't that good, you've been flattered by Lennon as he is a mediocre manager.
    I don't think so, it's not all about Celtic. We only dropped 7 points up to January and our form then went off a cliff. I think the squad doesn't have depth and a few key injuries have been telling. But even players who were over-performing have gone right off the boil during the break.
  • Armoured_Bear 2 Feb 2020 00:53:00 28,163 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gaol wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Gaol wrote:
    I don't think so, it's not all about Celtic. We only dropped 7 points up to January and our form then went off a cliff. I think the squad doesn't have depth and a few key injuries have been telling. But even players who were over-performing have gone right off the boil during the break.
    The rest of the league is appalling and you have spent a fuckton of money compared to them, you should barely drop points, as should we, the games against Celtic were you outplayed us have made you think you're more than netter than the rest. In reality, if Celtic still had Rodgers, you'd still be getting pumped every derby game and not have delusions of grandeur.
    You're shit, we're shit but less shit and the standard of Scottish football is shocking, I don't understand why it is so bad tbh.
  • QBX 2 Feb 2020 13:34:35 127 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Great goal but harsh on Hamilton who've played well. Hopefully they can keep it up for the second half.

Edit: why is Lennon so against playing Klimala especially when Griffiths is on a yellow?

Edited by QBX at 14:10:44 02-02-2020
  • LionheartDJH 2 Feb 2020 14:09:06 20,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Leigh Griffiths likes falling over a bit too much.
  • Dgzter 10 Feb 2020 18:14:38 2,934 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Loathed as I am to link to the fucking Record, this is too funny: https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1226751399301529600?s=20

Keith Jackson absolutely SHITING himself! And so very defensive of that bastion of Scottish journalistic integrity.

Regardless of how much of a chancer Craig Whyte was/is, I would love to see Traynor et al have their murky little media dealings laundered all over the news. Hilarious that Jackson bemoans Whyte's relationship to the truth and then, mere sentences later, admits to writing a fictional puff piece for Rangers on their prospective takeover at the bequest of his 'superiors' :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.