Dark Souls II Page 521

Next Last
  • TheHammerite 27 Apr 2019 13:43:37 3,485 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @AaronTurner

I'm on Xbox One. Oh well, I'll just have to get good.
  • FloatingTongue 27 Apr 2019 14:53:40 310 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You can skip Smelter by finding a route near the centre north part of the map. If youíre playing on next-gen consoles then you should see 2 fume knights and one of the fat green guards and a long bridge. You can find a bonfire there too which leads to another belfry covenant.

Smelty isnít too bad, get a fire proof shield and donít get too greedy with attacks.
  • AaronTurner 27 Apr 2019 22:04:58 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:

I'm in the last stretch of the game I think now, I'm inside Drangleic castle. I've had to use a guide a couple of times after getting completely stuck without a clue where to go next. It almost seems unreasonable what the developers assume you can work out.
    You have a fair bit to go yet I'm afraid! Including an area that most people view with utter disdain, but I don't mind too much. plus all the DLC if you are doing that too?
    I think I may be at the part you were alluding to, a lot of long range combat where each battle triggers the next one.... Feck me.
  • AaronTurner 28 Apr 2019 00:07:14 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well that was a bit of a ballache but I'm now in the undead crypt. The bonfire locator shows 10 more areas, but I'm assuming a lot of those must be optional dlc? Surely I can't still be miles off the end?
  • Malek86 28 Apr 2019 07:24:18 9,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If you are in the Crypt now, there's still a little while to go. Not a lot, mind, but still a few areas and bosses to go. From memory: Aldia's Keep, Dragon Shrine, then a boss, and finally the last two bosses.

The DLC areas are fairly big overall, but you could wait until the end of the game to access them (unlike DS1 and BB, the game won't throw you to a NG+ immediately after you finish).

Edited by Malek86 at 07:25:25 28-04-2019
  • AaronTurner 28 Apr 2019 14:55:54 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This game is an absolute shit, I killed the boss in the undead crypt and then afterwards it's fucking terrifying. Anyway, I have what I believe is important now. Apparently I have to go east... My one major criticism of this game is that at least three points I've been left pretty clueless as to what to do or where to go.

Edited by AaronTurner at 14:56:08 28-04-2019
  • AaronTurner 28 Apr 2019 23:23:27 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished! Really enjoyed it but it did get a bit long towards the end and I can now totally understand why people don't like the settings and levels as much as the first, they don't really link up. However, I didn't mind it, the whole game had a dreamlike quality to it and dreams are weird and don't often make sense! Still, as I said above, my criticism is the amount of times I was left utterly bewildered about where to go next, I didn't enjoy have to look it up.

Now, that's DS1 and 2 done and dusted this month, I'm wondering whether I should go the whole hog and do 3 or take a break from the souls games...
  • Samildanach 29 Apr 2019 00:54:26 191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @AaronTurner
    The three dlc areas (Sunken City, Brume Tower and Elome Loyce) are well worth visiting in DS2. Probably the best part of the whole game. Oh, and The Darklurker is a great boss if you can be arsed to get to it.
  • Malek86 29 Apr 2019 05:43:08 9,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The DLC areas often walk the line between fun and frustrating.

I enjoy them overall, but the Sunken King is definitely the worst of the bunch, and the Ivory King has the most annoying optional area in the entire game.
  • wuntyate 29 Apr 2019 10:08:11 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @AaronTurner The DLC is VERY much worth doing. I would google how to access it (provided you haven't moved into NG+) and get stuck in.
  • AaronTurner 29 Apr 2019 12:36:48 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I will move on to another game, I had my fill of DS2 over the last few weeks. It'll be there if I ever decide to take a look at it later. I'm thinking of driving straight into DS3 but I also have Nioh, Bloodborn (I beat father gascoigne and then never touched it again) and The Surge to take a look at.
  • wuntyate 29 Apr 2019 12:56:16 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I think I will move on to another game, I had my fill of DS2 over the last few weeks. It'll be there if I ever decide to take a look at it later. I'm thinking of driving straight into DS3 but I also have Nioh, Bloodborn (I beat father gascoigne and then never touched it again) and The Surge to take a look at.
    Well, out of those, you really want to be doing Bloodborne next, it is one of the finest games ever made.

However, if I could tempt you, the DLC in DS2 really something that shouldn't be missed. It is very, very good indeed with some of the best boss fights in the series.

I should probably go back to The Surge. got about halfway through and realised I couldn't be arsed.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 12:56:21 29-04-2019
  • AaronTurner 29 Apr 2019 16:09:22 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Too late, I started DS3 😁

Man, it reminds me more of Bloodborne than Dark Souls.
  • chrisno21 29 Apr 2019 16:14:35 2,241 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed Dark3 a lot more than Dark2. It's got great fights throughout and parrying is joyous (if not overly risky) again.
  • wuntyate 29 Apr 2019 16:18:35 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dark souls 3 is a strange hybrid of Ds and bb. Itís easily the weakest of the three but it is still brilliant. I completely revised my opinion of it when I went through it again recently after not thinking much of it back when I first finished it. Itís got some right shitty elements, especially with covenants and trophies, but thereís a lot of awesome in there.
  • AaronTurner 29 Apr 2019 16:21:02 11,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm really enjoying it, I've made it to the 2nd bonfire after the high wall, really good so far. I played a fair bit when it came out, it must have been my first DS game, but I've completely forgotten it so far.
  • Singularity 7 Nov 2019 11:55:44 3,208 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So I've just started Dark Souls II. God, I've missed some DS action.

I'm not far in, just made a shortcut back to the second(?) bonfire in the Forest of the Giants or whatever it's called.

Trying magic this time, as I never touched it in DS1, so I'm levelling up some INT, and then falling back on a dagger and some backstabbing to make my 30 Soul Arrows go further.

It's a bit annoying having to go back to the green lady to level up rather than doing it at a bonfire, but I suppose it's nice to have a few differences between the games. Only lost 3k souls so far - but it's as infuriating and brilliant as ever. Why aren't all games Dark Souls games?

I absolutely wish that this was on the Switch, as I would love to have it to play at lunch time. I had been holding out to see if it got announced, but I had bought 2 and 3 on PS4 at the height of my DS1 obsession as they were cheap. Will have to console myself with some Luigi's Mansion 3 instead.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2019 12:01:06
    It'd be nice if they could remaster 2 to bring it up to the graphical standards of the other games.

My only complaint really is that the art style is a bit weird. But it would probably be far too much work for a game that is not particularly well remembered by some.

I still love it though, I think I've probably played it more than any other From game, just because it has such great replay value.

Thinking of getting back into PC gaming next year in time for Elden Ring so will probably play this in advance to get warmed up.
  • wuntyate 7 Nov 2019 12:20:41 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    It'd be nice if they could remaster 2 to bring it up to the graphical standards of the other games.
    This will come as no surprise to anyone but I actually think the SotFS version of DS2 is a very nice looking game and actually prefer the aesthetic to 1 & 3. It's sharper, brighter and has it's own distinctive atmosphere.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2019 12:22:33
    I think the character designs and animations are a bit poor. Though I don't have a problem with the world itself.
  • wuntyate 7 Nov 2019 12:27:48 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The animation can totally be a bit janky in places. The royal falconers are fucking hilarious.
  • Rhaegyr 7 Nov 2019 12:37:34 4,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As someone who recently played SotFS I can't agree with much of the above - thought I didn't give it a fair shake the first time around so gave SotFS a try on the PS4 and played it to completion (and the DLC);

- The locations are arguably the worst in the series (particularly the middle)
    - The bosses are inarguably the worst in the series (even the names are shit)
    - Enemies weren't really memorable

+ DLC locations and bosses were pretty good
    + Story and lore are potentially best in series

DS3 knocks it into a cocked hat tbh; the environments, bosses and enemies are so much more memorable and interesting.

As I said, I went back to DS2 as I thought I may have misjudged it first time around but in all honestly it's just a bit weak to me.
  • Malek86 7 Nov 2019 12:40:43 9,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tbf I can't even remember half the bosses from DS3, so they mustn't have been particularly memorable for me.
  • Ddanno 7 Nov 2019 13:12:43 1,477 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:

My only complaint really is that the art style is a bit weird. But it would probably be far too much work for a game that is not particularly well remembered by some.

I still love it though, I think I've probably played it more than any other From game, just because it has such great replay value.

Thinking of getting back into PC gaming next year in time for Elden Ring so will probably play this in advance to get warmed up.
    Very important to warm up the Elden Ring.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2019 13:32:02
    Haha, ass temps are certainly gonna be cranked for that one.
  • Samildanach 7 Nov 2019 19:48:36 191 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Singularity
    It is still a great game, though not as wonderfully interconnected as the original.
    The area that the Forest of the Fallen Giants leads to is a bit of a step up in difficulty. I would suggest going the other open way from Majula once you've beaten FOFG (which happens to have a second Boss that I found brutal at first, so you also may need to come back a little later).
  • retro74 7 Nov 2019 23:10:37 2,947 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Itís the Super Mario 2 of this generation certainly. Probably started off as something else and was reskinned into Dark Souls II

Doki Doki Dark Souls
  • Singularity 11 Nov 2019 09:53:41 3,208 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well, it's early days but I'm really enjoying this. I've defeated the Last Giant/Arseface boss, and I think I'm about done with the castle area around that, at least for the moment as I don't have the King's symbol dodad to open that door behind the shiny knight with the big shield yet.

Guess I'll be going into the watery sewers bit back at Majula next.

Super annoying moment happened when I found out you open hidden doors with X, not by hitting the walls. I've gone back and found a few, but I know that I've missed a fair few where someone had helpfully left an orange note that there was a hidden door, I hit all the walls, figured they were messing with me, cursed their names and moved on.

Another annoying thing was realising that the Heal miracle uses a chime rather than my staff thing. I'd bought the spell, raised my attunement to get the extra slot, then realised that my Faith was too low, levelled that up, finally try to use it, and then realised I need the chime too. And I use my dagger too much to have the staff and chime equipped at the same time. Guess it'll have to be a re-equipping job when hiding in a dark corner and close to death.

Oh, and not getting 5 Estus slots straight away seems super tight of them!

Oh, and ditto having your health reduced for dying! I think that might have forced me away in Dark Souls as I remember dying a lot at first. Have shamefully had to pop two human figure things to regain my humanity and get rid of that curse.

But anyway, at least this initial castle still seems pleasingly interlooped. I guess that must reduce later on, given everyone's comments. And I think I am enjoying being a magic user this time. Will have to go back to DS1 and start that again as a magician.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2019 10:56:11
    Singularity wrote:

But anyway, at least this initial castle still seems pleasingly interlooped. I guess that must reduce later on, given everyone's comments.
    I'd ignore this. The level themselves are very well designed mostly.

It's just that people had a good cry at the time because it wasn't like DS1 where the game world was like one massive tower and had loads of shortcuts back on itself.

I'd argue that DS1 is the only game in the series where this is the case (Sekiro probably comes a close second).

DaS was level select, DS3 may aswell have been (kinda cool how Lothric castle is in the starting area but meh). BB was fairly well connected at the start but not really after you leave yharnam.

I think whatever followed DS1 was going to be a disappointment. The world not being super connected is a bit of a shame in all the follow ups, but they're all still excellent games.

Edited by Joyless_Man at 10:56:52 11-11-2019
  • wuntyate 11 Nov 2019 11:00:38 13,500 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think the connectivity and non-linearity in DS2 is second only to DS1. It's amazing the choice of directions you have early on and, whilst it does get more linear towards the second half, the DLC included in the SotFS means you have loads of options for where to piss off in the second half of the game too now.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.