Dark Souls II Page 533

• oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2020 14:53:15 6,873 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Heide Tower was awful for a bit, then cakewalked the bosses (were they nerfed wholesale ?). It's something I've noticed in the SotFS changes (previous playthroughs on PS3 original), fewer enemies through levels, but more surprise gank squads by triggering stuff. No-man's Wharf took 25mins to complete in one run, the run to and fight with Lost Sinner about 5min. I recall these as being a nightmare back then (perhaps all the DS3 bullshit has prepared me). Even Huntsman's Copse took 20mins including Skellie Lords.

Then I lost 45k souls in the Earthen Peak through moving two steps away from a bonfire, and got jumped by 3 manikins and a spear fella. The additional poison flasks everywhere can gtfo too.
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2020 15:05:06 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I've noticed a few differences but I can't be sure as my memory of this game is shot.

But I could have sworn there was originally a heide knight at the tree in the forest of fallen giants that doesn't aggro if you don't.

Yet in my run, it's just a corpse with an item.

I guessed that was the sotfs changes
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2020 15:29:34 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    By the way, what ultimate weapon am I looking out for? If any?

It's just I could save the pursuer soul for the pursuer ultra greatsword but is it worth it?
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 16:01:24 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Yeah all the Heide knights were moved to Heide's. Makes more sense but I quite liked stumbling upon them.

There is one that's not in heide's however. He also has the coolest helmet.
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 16:02:19 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather Mmmmm. Can't recall the Pursuer weapon being great so it's up to you. His shield is cool mind you. You could use the soul for that.

Edited by wuntyate at 16:02:25 12-11-2020
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2020 16:18:42 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hm ok I'll keep the soul for a bit. Just found the drangleic stuff. Fuck. Forgot it weighed a ton. Have to wait a while for the 100% shield and do more 2 handed stuff.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2020 16:25:30 6,873 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm having more hassle falling through the rickety floor in the Gutter. 5 times so far......

Going to Iron Keep to get thon ember instead. Edit: Got the ember already lol. Another SotFS tweak.

Edited by oldschoolsoviet at 16:57:03 12-11-2020
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2020 17:09:47 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that's handy, pissed heide tower and dragon rider first go. Makes a change
  • wuntyate 12 Nov 2020 17:33:29 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice. The only trouble is you MAY have trouble making it to the other boss now.
  • quadfather 12 Nov 2020 17:38:43 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And why's that?
  • Fonzie 12 Nov 2020 20:04:20 3,445 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    By the way, what ultimate weapon am I looking out for? If any?

It's just I could save the pursuer soul for the pursuer ultra greatsword but is it worth it?
    If you want a greatsword then wait till later and get the Fume Knight greatsword.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2020 21:11:53 6,873 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thought I broke the game earlier, absolutely no aggro in Doors of Pharros.

Then I realised I'd joined the Rat Covenent after Royal Rat, so it was deliberate ! Strolled through nabbing the goodies. And the giant Rat Authority, that caused me so much anguish back yonder (20-30 tries) went down on my second attempt. Woooo !

Went on a depetrifying spree, getting the boss soul vendors going, sorting out the Pate/Creighton quest and finishing up Freyja on first attempt. Not far off the million soul mark for the Shrine now.....

Need to go back to the Horse/Chariot boss tommorrow, avoiding the Gutter (think that boss is the last of the four ?) for now though. I've caught a bad strain of the Quavids with all that falling. ;)
  • Rodderz 12 Nov 2020 21:32:52 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Also, the hag I presume is in Majula now. She sells infinite life gems. Worth using any left over souls on them and keeping a good supply going.
    Hell yes this! I spent the whole game topping up these as they're super cheap (300 souls each) and they do a fair bit of healing, and heal reasonably quickly if you use two in succession should you need to. Super useful for not using up precious Estus and I think you can use them whilst on ladders too! Having now played some DS3 again, I really missed these 😢
  • Rodderz 12 Nov 2020 21:38:43 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    ... avoiding the Gutter (think that boss is the last of the four ?) for now though. I've caught a bad strain of the Quavids with all that falling. ;)
    The Rotten? I did him first out of the Old One Souls, without realising 😀. The run to him though... I'd initially missed the bonfire in the small cave by those putrid pools with the grabber demons in them, so the run back to the fog gate was horrific and not helped by the npc phantom who spawns constantly there until the boss is gone.
  • oldschoolsoviet 12 Nov 2020 21:52:38 6,873 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rodderz wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Also, the hag I presume is in Majula now. She sells infinite life gems. Worth using any left over souls on them and keeping a good supply going.
    Hell yes this! I spent the whole game topping up these as they're super cheap (300 souls each) and they do a fair bit of healing, and heal reasonably quickly if you use two in succession should you need to. Super useful for not using up precious Estus and I think you can use them whilst on ladders too! Having now played some DS3 again, I really missed these 😢
    It's the static drinking that's such a departure from the 1st/3rd. Far more nimble popping the two gems.
    And talking nimble, 20 ADP and an equip load under 60% has been a treat.
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2020 17:20:21 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Am I going to the wharf after heide tower? That's the normal progression isn't it? (Can't remember)
  • quadfather 13 Nov 2020 18:01:13 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah yeah, no man's wharf is the place where you can't go, "oh yeah, I remember this place. I'll piss it", and go gung go and get cut to ribbons within 20.

I really do remember it now :)

Still, I've just nabbed the ring of binding so I'm going to get used fighting at 75% health as to not spunk effigys up the wall. It's all coming back now :)

And I'm definitely enjoying it more this time round, taking my time, learning the places properly, not getting whizz-summoned through the whole game and not comparing it to other games, so I take it all back!
  • EMarkM 13 Nov 2020 18:09:05 5,344 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really need to get into II and III. After my glorious play through of I with Rob, and all the advice from Quaddy and other helpers, I never really got going with the others.

Iíve played around an hour (I suppose) of Bloodborne, and have never seen Nioh or associated others, so have a lot of catching up to do!
  • wuntyate 13 Nov 2020 19:03:47 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    I take it all back!
    Ha ha. Excuse me while I sit down.
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 13:53:04 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haha

Also, I just fired it up and I've not really been paying attention to my level but this character is now level 38 and I've clocked up 17hours of playtime already. Jesus, that's gone quick
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 15:05:21 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've just come across the bandit axe in no man's wharf. It's base ar is better than my club+4 but it's slash damage not strike

Is it better to have strike or what?
  • wuntyate 15 Nov 2020 15:08:48 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather generally yes, but the bandit axe is so strong light and awesome I would just switch to that.
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 15:20:10 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyate

Fair do's. I'll need to level up a bit first.

Bloody hell, forgot about the dark dwellers in no man's wharf. Though I did remember to light the lamp to force them inside. Getting a bit tense now with loads of souls and still haven't found the shortcut. Argh.
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 16:06:46 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finally managed it all and opened the shortcut. Thank fuck for that. 12k souls and ran out of repair powder but hoovered the whole place and got loads of shit. Majula now and a beer while I take stock before the boss
  • wuntyate 15 Nov 2020 16:36:00 16,022 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather There's an extra shortbut been added there now. Makes things MUCH easier. You can kick down a wooden walkway back to the stat when you're near the boat.
  • quadfather 15 Nov 2020 17:16:32 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @wuntyate

Yeah spotted that - that's where I left it and went back to Majula. I think there's only a few goons near/on the boat and then it's the flexile sentry. Which I can't remember anything about. But I know you can have 2 NPC summons. Miraculously, I remember beating him first time round solo. Get me.
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Nov 2020 19:37:34 6,873 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    More SotFS weirdness, with Drangleic Castle becoming a casual stroll, massive reduction in enemies, and Shrine of Amana becoming even worse than before (I think). Mirror Knight/Frog were a bit lengthy but first time clears without breaking a sweat.

And why did nobody warn me that illuminating the Undead Crypt sconces spawns dark/lightning throwing red phantoms everywhere..... Sigh. Got the shortcut eventually, but absolute ballache.

However, finally levelled up enough to get the ol' BKH on the go. Yay !
  • Fonzie 16 Nov 2020 10:36:46 3,445 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Finally managed it all and opened the shortcut. Thank fuck for that. 12k souls and ran out of repair powder but hoovered the whole place and got loads of shit. Majula now and a beer while I take stock before the boss
    If you are worried about losing souls at any point, put on a ring of sacrifice. You won't lose souls if you die and the ring can simply be repaired in Majula by the blacksmith.

Edited by Fonzie at 10:37:22 16-11-2020
  • quadfather 16 Nov 2020 11:37:52 37,655 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Fonzie

Wow that's a bit of a hack! I haven't got one yet but I'll certainly bear that in mind. Surprised that feature is in it tbh.
  • DuckBreaker 16 Nov 2020 11:41:59 147 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Post deleted
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.