Dark Souls II Page 535

Next Last
  • oldschoolsoviet 17 Nov 2020 16:13:49 6,873 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Re: Explodey cunts - Although the ones in the room below Straid are hostile, the ones in HIS room aren't, so you can safely ignore them all.
    We'll see about that.
    Pretty sure they tried to hug me upon first entering the room. It was only after I freed Straid that they turned passive.

Then again, I did start the aggro....
  • Malek86 17 Nov 2020 17:26:19 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How to win at DS2:

- start the game
    - during the tutorial, give the smooth stone found behind the waterfall to the crows
    - get a Titanite Slab
  • quadfather 17 Nov 2020 18:07:43 37,655 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right. Sinners rise now I've cleared up pooface Bastille
  • Malek86 19 Nov 2020 07:32:46 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    And here I thought that, if someone were to play the old Xbox 360 version of Dark Souls 2, which isn't even cross-gen multiplayer with the Xbox One or other versions, the servers would be totally dead.

There are actually quite a few messages and bloodstains around, I often see white ghosts walking the place, and even got summoned twice yesterday night.
  • dominalien 19 Nov 2020 07:57:03 10,116 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, I was playing the regular DSII on PS3 not long ago and there were quite a lot of people. Same with DS1.
  • Malek86 20 Nov 2020 20:54:11 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    May have spoken too soon. I tried using the blue orbs a few times, and I could never find anyone to invade. Either nobody is committing any sins, or there aren't enough players around anymore.
  • Malek86 21 Nov 2020 12:18:39 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was looking at my achievements list and it seems that I never completed Lucatiel's questline, mostly because I'm not the kind to summon.

So that will be my main objective for this run.
  • quadfather 21 Nov 2020 12:51:08 37,655 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It looks like I'm going to have to park this for a bit now demon's is out. However, I have taken it slow and re-remembered it all and I'm right at the start if sinners rise. So hopefully I'll know what I'm doing when I get back!
  • Malek86 23 Nov 2020 13:06:28 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Just got the Lucatiel achievement, so all's good with the world.

But now... I'm thinking about restarting and trying to get the Ring of the Exalted instead... it would require quite a bit of planning for sure, but given that I can beat the game on level 1, it doesn't sound impossible. Just very annoying.
  • Malek86 23 Nov 2020 15:58:01 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Uhm, it's been a very tense couple hours.

Ok, so this is what I understood: you can't rest at bonfires. You can light them, which will create a checkpoint there, but you can't rest at them.

This means:

- you can't fast travel, though you can still use primal bonfires to warp back to Majula, so essentially you must pick one of the paths to the four main bosses and stick with it until the end
    - you can't attune magic
    - you can't improve the Estus flask since you can't use bone dust at the Majula bonfire

What you can do instead:

- use Estus shards
    - level up
    - improve your equipment

All of these can only be done in Majula, so you'll have to wait until you have defeated one of the bosses and then do it all at once (you can at least meet one of the other blacksmiths, depending on the path).

You are also allowed to die and respawn, in order to refill your durability and consumables. At times it will be a good idea to kill yourself close to the last lit bonfire, so you can restore your status and get your souls back immediately.

Since you can only level up at Majula, that means you won't be able to level up for a very long time. Which means, you should expect to lose a lot of souls, hence there is little point in grinding. Also no point in going out of your way for optional bosses, spells, bone dust.. many other items. So, for me, it is essentially a speedrun.

Gotta be very careful about one more thing: you can only light bonfires once, but some paths must be walked more than once. For example, I should well be careful not to light the King's Gate bonfire until it's time to face the last boss. Or also, it's probably best to wait until you have to go into Aldia's Keep to light the forked roads bonfire. Finally, I'm not exactly looking forward to walking the road back from the Dragon Shrine to the Forest. So it would be a good idea to keep a couple bonfires unlit for the way back.

Well, in these two hours I made it to the Lost Sinner and back to Majula without losing my souls... and leveled up to 70 in one fell swoop. So that's gotta make things a little easier, hopefully.
  • Malek86 24 Nov 2020 13:30:19 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ahah!

This was actually a lot easier than I expected. Took me less than 10 hours. Just some strategical bonfire use, and it's not too different from a regular run. It's kinda tense when you are trying to recover 100k souls at once, but otherwise you just have to plan in advance which bonfires to lit and which to leave for later.

Most annoying part was running back from Undead Crypt to Drangleic Castle. Even with some careful planning, it still took me several tries and I lost my 200k+ souls to the freaking witches there. Good thing by that point I ws already leveled enough to take on the rest of the game with ease.
  • Ddanno 24 Nov 2020 16:57:19 1,724 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Malek86 Really impressive dude, good job!
  • Malek86 24 Nov 2020 18:25:07 11,274 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It was really not that hard. For the four main bosses, you just have to proceed as usual. And for the endgame, remmeber to leave a few unlit bonfires so that you can lit them as checkpoints for the way back. Some examples are the first and last bonfires in Amana, or the one inside Aldia's Keep.

Other than that, the only annoyances are that you can't improve your flask (but you won't need that much healing since you aren't going to explore much) and you can't attune spells (not a problem for a purely melee build).

Now, there's also a ring for finishing the game without dying, but I'm not even gonna try!
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 15:04:12 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Best way to describe this when coming straight from Bloodborne? Fucking shite. Everything about it is worse, every single element. Just healing makes me want to cry or just pressing roll and waiting for the character to respond.
  • wuntyate 4 Dec 2020 15:06:26 16,022 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not Bloodborne. That's probably why it feels different.
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 16:23:55 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Fallen giants and tower of flame done. How do I get down to the fire salamander again and what's behind the giant black door with the greatshield knight? Vaguely remember both are things I come back to much later in the game?
  • Samildanach 4 Dec 2020 17:42:00 497 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Fallen giants and tower of flame done. How do I get down to the fire salamander again and what's behind the giant black door with the greatshield knight? Vaguely remember both are things I come back to much later in the game?
    Yeah leave those for now. The door is for when you get the King's Ring and the fire Salamander bit can wait till post game when you are wanting to do the dlcs.
    Don't forget to pump points into adaptability to make estus chugging and rolls less shite.
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 18:04:37 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ahhhh okay I forgot. need to get rolls and estus faster as it's doing my head in. Haven't played it for nearly six years.
  • wuntyate 4 Dec 2020 18:10:30 16,022 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not massively faster.
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 18:20:13 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oh shit just did some googling and it massively increases the I frames on rolling.
    I did think several times during the pursuer fight I was hit when I had made a good roll.

Currently the most dangerous thing in boss fights is healing.

Edited by Bichii at 18:23:00 04-12-2020
  • Samildanach 4 Dec 2020 18:27:47 497 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Bichii
    Also, if I remember correctly, DSII has a different engine to the other FromSoft games and this can really affect when you get hit. If a DSII enemy attack has begun and you were standing in the hit box, you'll still get hit even if you rolled away seemingly in the nick of time. This is definitely the case with 'grab' moves, eg the Ogre and Mimic grab, you can amusingly have rolled behind them but get oddly sucked into their grab because you were standing in the grab zone at the start of their animation. Not sure if it is also the case for non-grab attacks, but if they are then that might explain the additional issues you are having with it after Bloodborne.
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 21:16:28 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    How did I forget how bs the three sentinels were? Especially as a no shield low stamina mage.

Arggh the fucking run to get there as well. What a prick who designed this.

Being able to fucking heal quicker than 47 fucking seconds might help.

Done, must have been ten trys minimum. Fucking any boss from does with more then one boss is shit. Some bosses that take you a while, like Ludwig, it feels great when you beat it but bosses like the sentinels is just shite and when it's over it's more "thank god that crap is done".

Edited by Bichii at 21:23:58 04-12-2020

Edited by Bichii at 21:28:15 04-12-2020

Edited by Bichii at 21:51:56 04-12-2020
  • Bichii 4 Dec 2020 22:20:04 3,856 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Lost sinner done now that's a decent boss!
  • wuntyate 4 Dec 2020 22:39:49 16,022 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Bichii You know the trick with the sentinels though? Stay up top. Kill one up there. Then you get a breather. Then the next one jumps up, you get a few hits in before the other joins in, roll down and finish them both off.

Yeah Lost Sinner is decent.
  • jonathanlealand 5 Dec 2020 01:29:53 107 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Enjoying this a lot more the second time round. last time I completed the base game and never got the DLC so this time I actually have fresh DS2 content to play!
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.