The Wheel of Time books Page 3

Next Last
  • THFourteen 18 Mar 2017 08:28:42 53,819 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    I recently started rereading the Goodkind books and the Darken Rahl bits with the kid are pretty perverted. I'd forgotten about those first time around and was reading the book to my partner.. . Who now thinks I'm some kind of weirdo.

I know they get better, but Lord of the Rings they're not.
    Lord of the Rings was a game changer for its time but vast swathes of it are actually really boring imo
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 09:54:40
    THFourteen wrote:
    GuybrushThreepwood wrote:
    I recently started rereading the Goodkind books and the Darken Rahl bits with the kid are pretty perverted. I'd forgotten about those first time around and was reading the book to my partner.. . Who now thinks I'm some kind of weirdo.

I know they get better, but Lord of the Rings they're not.
    Lord of the Rings was a game changer for its time but vast swathes of it are actually really boring imo
    True. I've read it a few times and it's pretty dull until they reach Moria. Even then, I skip any poems and songs.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 11:46:22
    I managed to get to the last book but stopped after they delayed the kindle release and I didn't want to fork it for a hard cover.
  • JoeBlade 18 Mar 2017 11:48:21 5,089 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood Pretty much everyone I know did that.

Apparently LotR was originally intended as an ode to the British countryside and traditions and was thus almost completely descriptive with barely any story until Tolkien - probably rightfully - realised it was unlikely to have been a big hit. It would explain why there are so many long and boring bits.
    Not sure whether adding Elven and Halfling songs into the mix helped though.

Ironically Wheel of Time suffered from a similar predicament. I've only read up to the tenth one but either way, I thought the last one as well as the fist two or three were decent enough fantasy but the ones in the middle just dragged on and on, barely anything of note happened.
    From what I heard this is almost entirely due to Jordan's wife, who apparently talked him into giving the female characters overly prominent roles and being excessively descriptive about their sentiments, appearance and whatnot, leading him to padding out the series something fierce.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2017 11:58:47 23,974 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I dunno, most of the major female characters seem pretty samey to me, even after Sanderson took over. If Jordan was encouraged into giving them a bit more depth, he pretty much failed imo. There's some growth there, but most of the annoying things I saw in book 7, are still there in book 12.

Except for Brigitte, and maybe Cadsuane. I like them.
  • JoeBlade 18 Mar 2017 12:17:08 5,089 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I obviously can't tell for sure but it seems plausible.

The first books set the stage as this being a series about the Dragon Reborn, who's going to free the lands of the evil they've been subjugated to and then for several books he's barely mentioned at all and doesn't do shit, the story's almost exclusively about the Aes Sedai.

And not the most exciting bits either, Jordan spent entire paragraphs just describing how they are dressed, for crying out loud.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2017 13:15:11
    JoeBlade wrote:

And not the most exciting bits either, Jordan spent entire paragraphs just describing how they are dressed, for crying out loud.
    Off topic, but if you want an exercise in boredom, read that "classic" Moby Dick. There's an entire chapter on the colour white, another on knots and another (at least) on the classification of whales. Bugger all happens in that book. They don't even see the sea for half the book. I feel alseep reading it a few times.
  • Mola_Ram 18 Mar 2017 13:22:53 23,974 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, not a fan of Moby Dick. I do have some patience for detailed description that doesn't move the plot, but I do want the story to push ahead at some point. Unless the poetic language is the whole point of it, like with, say, Cormac McCarthy.

The worst culprit I've encountered in this respect was the unabridged version of Les Miserables. The temptation to skip whole chapters ahead was ever, ever so strong with that one. Ugh.
  • JoeBlade 18 Mar 2017 15:51:16 5,089 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @GuybrushThreepwood I've never read it myself but I gather those passages are meant to give insight into Ahab's blind, raging obsession and descent into madness.
    I can dig that but yeah, I can also see how that would become very boring very quickly.

To be fair I find many of the classics dull as dishwater or very grating, that's why I stuck to more recent literature from one point in my life on. I'm glad I did because otherwise I may have stopped reading alltogether.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2017 16:41:24 8,979 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I made it all the way through the WoT series. The first three were pretty decent, then you spend a lot of time meandering.

The whole mid-section of the series (up to but not including Knife of Dreams) reminded me a bit of a so-so Western RPG; maybe one of Bioware's lesser efforts like Dragon Age 2 or something. What I mean by that is that you would get a major event every couple of books which was clearly a "plot checkpoint" and then huge tracts of text in between which were fast-travelling around between the towns doing sidequests. After each major plot event, a bunch of new sidequest markers would pop up on the map and off you go again.

Knife of Dreams had a touch of the "fuck me, I need to finish this thing" to it. The Sanderson books weren't amazing, but did knuckle down and provide a satisfactory ending.

And Moby Dick is a pile of wank. I'm not an uncultured bore; I've read Euripides in the original Greek. But Moby Dick is a pretentious heap of crap. End of story.
  • Spectral 18 Mar 2017 16:46:25 6,385 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Even when it was meandering I found it enjoyable mostly because I found Mat really amusing. After a certain point obviously.

Edited by Spectral at 16:47:05 18-03-2017
  • JoeBlade 18 Mar 2017 16:57:45 5,089 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Rogueywon Heh, that WRPG analogy is a good one actually. Not being "tight enough" is the reason I've given up on several of them.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.