Fallout 4 Page 284

• challenge_hanukkah 7 Oct 2017 14:59:34 7,249 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah they totally built on the roleplaying aspect by removing meaningful dialogue choices, the karma system and multiple ways of completing quests.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Oct 2017 23:17:10 18,234 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cheese101 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's not a bad game, but it only resembles a Fallout game in a cosmetic sense. I really don't like what Bethesda have done with the franchise.

But they're super popular, so I guess I won't be getting what I want in the foreseeable future. They're not ever going to change the way they make games as long as people keep throwing money at them.
    What a load of gibberish. The game builds on the fundamental mechanics of fallout 3 in every aspect.

More detailed crafting, character customisation, world building.. the list goes on. To say it's only the same game in terms of visual appearance is daft. Stop chatting brown.
    Fallout 3 had the same problem, so your point is irrelevant to me. Hence the "I don't like what Bethesda have done with the series" comment, since they developed that one too. To me, New Vegas is the only 3D Fallout that captured the spirit of the first two games that I loved.

But I recognise that you and a lot of others like what they've done with the franchise, and that's fine. It's really not something to get ones knickers in a twist about.
  • dsmx 8 Oct 2017 17:09:14 8,250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fallout 4:

I don't hate it, I don't love it and I struggle to remember anything in particular about my time in it. I find myself remembering the gun customisation more than any of the people or locations in the game.

I remember in New Vegas I'd just pick a direction and wander to see what I'd find and remembering the little decisions I made over the game with regards to it's conversations and my players actions to get the plot to it's eventual conclusion. I remember New Vegas dabbling in various morally grey choices that the game throws at you and how there's no right way, only your way to play out the various plot strands.

I think the thing that got me in the end was when I realised that my actions had no impact with the game world factions in fallout 4 until you got to that stupid part where it was basically kill everyone but the guys you support.

Everything about Fallout 4 feels like it was streamlined and focus tested to make sure it appealed to everyone, where you could go everywhere and do everything in a single play through. But in doing so they made a game devoid of any real choice and when you finally got a choice it was basically genocide.

That said there were some okay bits in fallout 4 like getting that ship airborne which was a nice sight but ultimately, why? That could of been something far more interesting and it just ends up crashing again.
  • SteveHolt 8 Oct 2017 19:04:55 455 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the game. Survivor mode is much deeper than hardcore mode in new vegas. The world map is superb. I love my character build. It features the usual bethesda flaws - dull dungeon design, messy writing, annoying glitches, but hey, no surprise there.

They made 3 big, objective mistakes that ruined the game's reputation IMO:

1) the game is, in a nutshell, skyrim with guns, so fallout fans were bound to hate it, and, well, they have been very vocal about it, haven't they?
    2) survivor mode wasn't available at launch, so the game was full of options but there was no "design glue" to tie the whole bloated thing together
    3) the DLC - the season pass was very expensive, and they didn't deliver what early adopters wanted

OTOH, in my opinion, big skyrim fan, who paid around 30 for the whole package, and has played with survivor mode enabled since the very start, it's just a glorious bethesda RPG.
  • dsmx 8 Oct 2017 21:33:55 8,250 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I would of been fine with skyrim with guns but aside from the graphics fallout 4 is worse in every department.
  • SteveHolt 9 Oct 2017 06:28:24 455 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I would of been fine with skyrim with guns but aside from the graphics fallout 4 is worse in every department.
    Oh COME ON, Michael!!!
  • crashVoodoo 16 Nov 2017 15:10:42 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've taken back to the game really strong as destiny is leaving me a bit uninterested. Turns out I prefer single player games.

As I don't get on much I set myself a nice goal to complete. Today's was to investigate the Boston public library with my silenced 10mm and see what's what.

Still not found any chuffin antibiotics and I've just finished my last purified water. Only the finest irradiated stuff left.
  • robthehermit 16 Nov 2017 15:24:06 6,658 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I keep telling myself I'm going to get back into this, but somehow never find the time.
  • hedben2013 16 Nov 2017 17:44:52 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got about 20 hours into a second playthrough with mods galore, then went back to Skyrim when I had one quest glitch too many. For some reason Skyrim hasn't bugged out on me anywhere near as much.
  • crashVoodoo 16 Nov 2017 19:00:25 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The only glitch I've ever had is the wonky pathfinding for dogmeat or his ability to get right behind me stopping me from moving.

My problem is I want to play lots of things but dont get much chance so I was flitting between everything but not feeling like I was playing anything. Decided to just get stuck into this and explore with clear goals each time I play.

I'm waiting for the dlc to come on sale and I think I'm gonna pick it up for automation, far harbour and nukaworld

Edited by crashVoodoo at 19:09:02 16-11-2017
  • crashVoodoo 17 Nov 2017 15:31:50 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    WTF?!? can't remember ever seeing this before but ...

i've noticed that the load times on this kinda suck ass, not so much the first load but the transitional ones through doors, especially back out onto the commonwealth. I assumed it was due to the number of mods i've dropped onto it so I decided to shuffle it over onto the SSD. Nothing improved at all! odd.

Surely nearly a minute transition was wrong, i'm sure it was faster on the ps4.

Some google-fu later and it turns out that vsync, although giving me sweet silky fps during gameplay, was actually killing the load speed as its GPU dependant.

Another mod installed to remove the limiter during load screens only, suddenly it jumps to around 800 fps and then .. done!

bliss :-)
  • Billy-Daniels 17 Nov 2017 16:21:18 83 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SteveHolt wrote:
    I love the game. Survivor mode is much deeper than hardcore mode in new vegas. The world map is superb. I love my character build. It features the usual bethesda flaws - dull dungeon design, messy writing, annoying glitches, but hey, no surprise there.

They made 3 big, objective mistakes that ruined the game's reputation IMO:

1) the game is, in a nutshell, skyrim with guns, so fallout fans were bound to hate it, and, well, they have been very vocal about it, haven't they?
    2) survivor mode wasn't available at launch, so the game was full of options but there was no "design glue" to tie the whole bloated thing together
    3) the DLC - the season pass was very expensive, and they didn't deliver what early adopters wanted

OTOH, in my opinion, big skyrim fan, who paid around 30 for the whole package, and has played with survivor mode enabled since the very start, it's just a glorious bethesda RPG.
    I'm with you Steve, it's a brilliant game. It was my game of the generation until I played AC Origins.

I've played through it 4 times (inc all dlc) racking up over 500 hours of gameplay. I have two survival characters who are both over level 100. Survival mode improved the experience dramatically for me, loved having to manage thirst and hunger and plan routes around the wasteland to complete quests as efficiently as possible.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 are both excellent games but I think Fallout 4 is the superior game out of the two.
  • crashVoodoo 2 Dec 2017 10:55:26 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I obviously missed so much of this game on my first playthrough. Discovered the USS Constitution last night. Crewed entirely by robots. Speaking like old timey pirates. Mental.

A couple of errands and some random wandering off to see "what's just over there" later and it finally set sail. By sail, I mean took off into the wide irradiated sky over downtown Boston.

Short lived though, as it ploughed straight into a skyscraper. I turned it off after this but I'm going to seek it out later and see if I can get back aboard. I feel compelled to assist these robot numpties
  • Flying_Pig 4 Dec 2017 10:13:26 15,862 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    I obviously missed so much of this game on my first playthrough. Discovered the USS Constitution last night. Crewed entirely by robots. Speaking like old timey pirates. Mental.

A couple of errands and some random wandering off to see "what's just over there" later and it finally set sail. By sail, I mean took off into the wide irradiated sky over downtown Boston.

Short lived though, as it ploughed straight into a skyscraper. I turned it off after this but I'm going to seek it out later and see if I can get back aboard. I feel compelled to assist these robot numpties
    One of the real highlights of the game - I enjoyed the random missions you get from just wondering the wasteland more than the main storyline in FO4.

Same with FO3 really...
  • crashVoodoo 4 Dec 2017 10:40:46 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @b0rk https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283/?

Im at work at the moment but im pretty sure it's this one based on the mod description.

Just drop the files in as it says and the during the load screen you'll notice ">>>" in the bottom right of your screen and if you have an FPS counter you will also notice it will spike.
  • challenge_hanukkah 4 Dec 2017 11:12:26 7,249 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That mod was a godsend.
  • hedben2013 13 Dec 2017 10:06:05 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Someone's not impressed with Fallout 4 VR:

https://twitter.com/paperghost/status/940489463582601216
  • crashVoodoo 16 Dec 2017 14:48:02 5,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @b0rk no worries. I found it made a massive difference. I've installed quite a few quality of life mods to improve the clothing upgrades, inventory & sorting management and a colour pipboy with icons using goldkit

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11063/

Edited by crashVoodoo at 16:11:57 16-12-2017
  • challenge_hanukkah 16 Dec 2017 17:45:18 7,249 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Could go either way.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.