Fallout 4 Page 286

• FrostPan 30 May 2018 12:03:17 1,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    Apparently it's going to be a remaster of Fallout 3 and a Switch version is inbound.
    Wouldn't surprised me. 10 year anniversary for Fallout 3 this year.
  • Razz 30 May 2018 12:11:25 63,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    This is bullshit, how much longer are they going to blue ball us?
  • FrostPan 30 May 2018 12:13:31 1,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Please stand by while we tickle your balls.
  • LionheartDJH 30 May 2018 13:40:46 20,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Timely bump as I'm just about to start this. Got it as part of a bundle when upgraded to the Pro, didn't get on with 3 that much, think it's the lacklustre stories that leave me cold with Bethesda rpgs. But seen my housemate playing this recently and it looks good so giving it a go.

Is it possible (and advisable) to plough through the main quest and then do side stuff/exploration? I'd prefer to do it that way unless there's a major reason not to (like some side quests not being available following the main quest).
  • neems 30 May 2018 13:50:57 3,951 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Normally they're more 'start a main quest, get distracted, get distracted again, where the fuck am I and what what was i doing?'
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 May 2018 13:54:39 31,802 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah, pretty much that. I always start by saying to myself "this time I'm really going to try and pay attention to the main quest" before something shiny glints in the distance and I'm off, never to return to the story again.
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2018 14:35:09 9,066 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't see 4 changing your mind if you didn't get on with 3
  • Razz 30 May 2018 14:40:59 63,603 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The figurine is standing up now
  • Shephard 30 May 2018 15:01:11 272 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Vault 76 in Virginia?
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 May 2018 15:13:10 5,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    San Fran would be great. Imagine walking across the Golden Gate which in itself could be a pretty big area to navigate through.

Although I'm not really sure what they can do with the licence that hasn't been done already, maybe a change in timeline to an either less or a more 'advanced' time period?

Boston seemed to have the tech and still people seemed to live in derelict and dirty surroundings (as opposed to the Institute I guess), that never really made a lot of sense to me, other than it being a trademark of the Fallout franchise.
  • H1ggyLTD 30 May 2018 15:14:28 9,891 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Make it fun to play?
  • ChiefGB 30 May 2018 15:15:07 9,066 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    The figurine is standing up now
    I'm sure it is, for the 100000 or so still tuned in.
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2018 15:19:40 13,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Make it fun to play?
    I think gameplay fun was there to some extent, it's mostly the lack of any interesting story parts that made everything feel pretty pointless. If even ME:Andromeda tells a much more thrilling story than your game, you should seriously start thinking about what you're doing.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 15:20:35 30-05-2018
  • Dgzter 30 May 2018 15:20:10 2,383 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm sure we are all just hoping that they double-down on the building mechanics, which made FO4 such a resounding critical and commercial success.
  • Scimarad 30 May 2018 15:35:34 9,452 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think people would have been fine with the building mechanics if there was plenty of interesting quests to do and decent locations to explore. Unfortunately there weren't.

Honestly, I think that's the only major failing of the game as I think it's a lot of fun to play but it's rather huge failing for an RPG.
  • BattleHymn 30 May 2018 16:41:02 1 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I'd be interested in a remaster of New Vegas. This, not so much.
    Agreed.

I've actually started a new game in Fallout 4 recently, on Survival difficulty. Not caring about progression anymore and focusing more on survival has transformed the game a fair bit. Not free of frustration but it's alright.

Agreed.Survival mode massively transforms Fallout 4,it's night and day.I could not be arsed to finish my first play through on normal.
  • LionheartDJH 12 Jun 2018 14:34:20 20,140 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    I don't see 4 changing your mind if you didn't get on with 3
    About 20 hours into it now and I'm really enjoying it. Focusing on the main quest but had some fun with a couple of side quests, and even building up the Red Rocket settlement a bit. Going to finish the main quest and then keep dipping back into it to explore and do side quests, the world is great.

Bethesda RPGs usually leave me cold, so pleasantly surprised with how much I'm enjoying it.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jun 2018 14:47:38 18,234 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Give it another dozen hours or so, that's when the cold starts flooding in for me.
  • hedben2013 12 Jun 2018 15:01:24 768 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Same here. I find it hard to articulate what was wrong with FO4 compared to 3 and New Vegas. I didn't mind the base building or having to defend settlements, which put a lot of people off, and I was quite a vocal supporter in this thread a few months ago. But it didn't keep me hooked and I never finished the main questline.

I'll probably try the DLC when it's cheap enough, and if the mods are half as good as those available for Skyrim it will be worth reinstalling, but it's nothing like as gripping as the others.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Jun 2018 18:52:30 13,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not easy to pinpoint for me too, but I'll try. On the one hand I liked the gameplay, the exploration, looting, stealthing, weapon crafting, etc. I even thought the shooting wasn't bad. On the other hand, the further I got the more I was put off by how empty the storytelling is. The very beginning was ok-ish, but it fell apart very quickly.

I'm usually all gameplay over story (which is why I still like this game despite these complaints), and I was ok with Skyrim's... let's say functional writing. Skyrim's stories were like a backdrop that to some extent gave meaning to what you were doing. However in Fallout 4 even I was irritated by how uninteresting and insignificant everyone and everything is. To call it shallow would be too generous.

Apologies to Mola_Ram here for my earlier slightly polemic comparison between Witcher 3 and Fallout 4, that was a mistake based on my (slightly emotional) early impressions of the games - after completing both, I know it's madness to even mention them in the same sentence.

So Skyrim I mostly played for the fun gameplay stuff that I like. It was mostly about exploring, looting, clearing dungeons, crafting, enchanting, levelling up etc., but I was also absorbed by the setting and the stories kinda kept me going. I did care a little about them.

No such thing in Fallout 4. I played it for the same gameplay stuff, but it relied on that entirely. There was no storyline I wanted to finish, it was all about if I cared to do more exploring and looting etc. or not. It was also about finishing the game, but that felt more like a duty and was pretty unrewarding.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 19:03:01 12-06-2018
  • DrStrangelove 12 Jun 2018 18:59:06 13,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    While we're at it, I like this Kotaku article about the continuing trivialisation of the Fallout theme
  • Ultrasoundwave 12 Jun 2018 22:24:01 5,817 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíve also recently jumped back into Fallout 4 - think i got about 20 hours into the PS4 version back when it came out (20 hours total gameplay, not 20 hours into the story, so basically not very far!).

Iíve now got the GOTY version for the One X and Iíve installed several mods ranging from unofficial patches to graphical improvements, better water, better physics and improved sound - unsurprisingly, the game looks a LOT better than it did a few years ago.

Not massively far in this time - Iíve just saved the folks from Concord and returned to Sanctuary - but Iím determined to see it through this time.

Plus I have ALL the DLC this time too, so Iím in for the long haul.......will report back in 12 months time.

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 22:24:27 12-06-2018

Edited by Ultrasoundwave at 22:24:50 12-06-2018
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jun 2018 23:20:10 18,234 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    While we're at it, I like this Kotaku article about the continuing trivialisation of the Fallout theme
    Yes, this is pretty much on point. Regardless of what I think about the games themselves, this is a series that I no longer recognise.

So yeah, I'm done with Fallout. It's great if other people enjoy the modern games (seriously, I'm happy for people who find something that really speaks to the), but it's not for me.
  • KnuttinAtoll 13 Jun 2018 14:57:57 5,799 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Yes, this is pretty much on point. Regardless of what I think about the games themselves, this is a series that I no longer recognise.

So yeah, I'm done with Fallout. It's great if other people enjoy the modern games (seriously, I'm happy for people who find something that really speaks to the), but it's not for me.
    Same here. I watched the Bethesda presentation only yesterday, maybe am getting old but I thought the whole thing was delivered in a way that seems to appeal to "the kids" only (a fair bit of swearing, mindless tat (who the fuck needs an actual map glowing in the dark) further focus on FPS, online deathmatch, Minecraft elements, etc.).

I wonder whether Bethesda went down that route to cut down on having to come up with story based content and the writing necessary to flesh out the game world, which was always the biggest appeal of the series for me. FO4 in this respect was already a clear step down from previous titles (less choice and dialogue options, basic and more autogenerated quests, locations devoid of background info bar a few logs), so I guess the direction taken for FO76 is only consistent.

It'll be the first FO game I won't purchase, and I'm sad that I won't be able to enjoy well written, single player content in the Fallout universe again. Damn shame.
  • DrStrangelove 13 Jun 2018 16:23:05 13,003 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't played the first two, well FO1 very briefly but I really dread that sort of turn-based gameplay. For better understanding, is the decline in story depth between FO1 and FO4 comparable to that of Mass Effect between ME1 and Andromeda?
  • KRadiation 30 Jun 2018 08:52:22 1,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    started playing 4 now thanks to games pass on Xbox.
    it just feels so generic and bland. it's 90% bare bone fetch quests with no emotion or storytelling. no actions spark a big reaction from anyone.

it's difficult to go into too much detail without spoilers but basically I'm near the end... I returned from a place that no one else has been to before and upon returning and talking to peoole... it's as if I never went away. they just spoke to me like oh you're back are you... right I now need you to get me some batteries so go on another fetch quest.

and I mean... I get to the end ish bit.... I'm thinking okay... bit storyline part now... the big reveal... .. that's a bit.. average and not that shocking really.... and wait... now they're sending me in fetch quests as well?

just fuck off
  • captain-Snufkin 30 Jun 2018 08:54:05 412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Yes it's shit.
  • blobs 30 Jun 2018 09:22:40 587 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agreed, I liked it initially but it was a huge drag to get to the end and complete it.
  • captain-Snufkin 30 Jun 2018 09:22:51 412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Devopers said they didn't consciously make it more shooty and less rpg but that's obviously bullshit as their series have been chasing sales over anything else for a long time.
  • arty 30 Jun 2018 09:24:31 356 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never managed to finish it, I just drifted into other games without really thinking about it. But now you mention it, it just didn't grab me at all.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.