Fallout 4 Page 287

Next Last
  • blobs 30 Jun 2018 09:31:22 611 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And the ending is dire, no character in the game really gives a shit about the decisions you made.

You might piss of some faction but none of them seem to know why that's the case.
  • d_h1234 30 Jun 2018 14:15:15 298 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just play Far Harbour.
  • Darth_Flibble 1 Jul 2018 12:33:42 4,818 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hopefully Fallout 5 is a return to form but the way todd howard is taking the series into this casual: Kill, loot, repeat game and becoming more of a shooter. Installing New Vegas now, while its looks fucking terrible, its more a deeper game than the derp fest fallout 4 become
  • Mola_Ram 1 Jul 2018 12:52:14 25,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think they're going to change. Even if you were disappointed by Fallout 4, even if you (correctly) think that New Vegas is vastly superior, fact is that Fallout 4 made Bethesda a whole lot of money. It's their most successful game ever.

So yeah, regardless of what I want from the series, Bethesda are a business, and they are going to go where the dollars are. I mean really, why bother hiring decent writers if most of the punters don't give a shit either way?
  • KRadiation 1 Jul 2018 13:48:23 1,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i think most people bought 4 thinking it was going to follow in the same footsteps as 3 and new Vegas.

casuals are the worst fans to cater too because once they inevitably move on, you've already lost your core audience.
  • Darth_Flibble 1 Jul 2018 14:36:16 4,818 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    i think most people bought 4 thinking it was going to follow in the same footsteps as 3 and new Vegas.

casuals are the worst fans to cater too because once they inevitably move on, you've already lost your core audience.
    Was going to post the same thing, its like people thought res evil 6 was going to be like 5 and it killed the series for a while (until 7) from the early previews fallout 4 sounded like they picked up some ideas for NV (but it turns out they copied really badly and dumbed it down by removing lots of the skill stats, removing choice in the game etc.

I get the publisher wants to make it for the mass audience it but the thing is you have to make it so simplified, you piss off the loyal fans of the game. As mentioned the "casual gamer" is fickle when it comes to games, they may be angrily defending the changes but they will quickly move on when the next game turns up. I know someone like this, a real angry man-child who wants every game to made for him but will dump it for next shiny object and acts like a typical internet cunt if anyone does not like the changes (eg telling to fuck off if you don't like the gameplay direction)
  • hedben2013 23 Oct 2018 14:29:49 1,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm back on my bullshit with this, trying to spread evening gaming sessions thinly between FO4 and FH4. There are still plenty of new and interesting looking mods, which makes me wonder how their paid Creation Club can possibly be profitable with all that free stuff just a menu away.

Spent about an hour yesterday flipping between different combinations of green mod and texture pack to find the ones that worked- then got some new but authentic sounding radio stations (one called "Far Out" is particularly good, with 70s and 80s guitar classics that still somehow work in the retro-future setting.)

Next I'm on a series of mini quests to get FO4 versions of the unique weapons from 3 and New Vegas, because I can't be arsed with making tiny incremental improvements to fifteen different pipe guns for my second playthrough.
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Oct 2018 14:34:45 13,588 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Next I'm on a series of mini quests to get FO4 versions of the unique weapons from 3 and New Vegas, because I can't be arsed with making tiny incremental improvements to fifteen different pipe guns for my second playthrough.
    Is that from a mod? Sounds cool. One of my bugbears about the game was how shit the weapons were.
  • hedben2013 23 Oct 2018 15:30:02 1,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @challenge_hanukkah Yep, it's this one:

https://bethesda.net/en/mods/fallout4/mod-detail/4057478

Strikes a nice balance - I found when adding specific single weapons with mods, they were either ridiculously OP or not really within the lore (I don't want Call of Duty weapons in my Fallout thanks).
  • Switch-v85 3 Aug 2020 10:22:17 4,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have no idea why but I decided to play this for a bit last night. I abandoned it not long after reaching Diamond City and it's been in the backlog ever since.

It's not the easiest game to come back to after 4 years but I quite enjoyed it despite also thinking it's a bit shit, it's so clunky and awkward it's a minor miracle that it comes together as well as it does.

The mission I was on had a scene where you see some of Kellogg's memories which was alright. I then went on a trek towards The Glowing Sea and ended up in a fight with a Deathclaw which was awful, probably not helped by it mutating into a legendary and regaining all it's health. Once I got to the Crater of Atom I quite enjoyed not having to kill a bunch of people because I could talk my way out of it.

I'm weirdly tempted to play some of it but I shouldn't as I'm in the middle of much better games.
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 10:32:09 5,714 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I don't think FO4 is "bad" bad but just... lacking.

What got me most was the difficulty level. Play on normal or even hard and it's a walk in the park. Playing on survival is absolute murder.
    As I said before the survival difficulty combination of increased Elite enemies and having to sleep to save is just silly. Do overs are fine if they only take seconds but in this game you can literally lose hours due to random encounters.
    Apparently there are mods to get rid of that but I just can't be bothered.

Shame because at heart the game, again, isn't actually bad IMO.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2020 10:37:22 25,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a bad Fallout game. If it had been called something else, I might have appreciated it more.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Aug 2020 10:57:42 22,457 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's a bad Fallout game. If it had been called something else, I might have appreciated it more.
    For sure it's a bad Fallout game, I'm also glad that it was the tipping point for Bethesda where people stopped forgiving them for their jank and reliance on the modding community to stuff, so much so that people had almost no patience for the shit that was Fallout 76. Actually I got to play 76 through gamepass and yeahhhhhh, it not good.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2020 11:02:52 25,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought they might have taken some of the great things about New Vegas on board. But they didn't.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Aug 2020 11:09:10 22,457 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It does feel like Bethesda is stuck in a time bubble and refuses to adapt in terms of open world rpg structure. I am NOT optimistic about Starfield. Not at all.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Aug 2020 11:11:43 25,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think they're going to change. Despite souring reviews, their games still sell.

But for me personally, there's a lot more choice around now. And I'm not going to bother with any more of their stuff, even if it's on Game Pass or whatever. It's just not for me.
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 11:41:47 5,714 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    It does feel like Bethesda is stuck in a time bubble and refuses to adapt in terms of open world rpg structure. I am NOT optimistic about Starfield. Not at all.
    Hmm, if anything I'd say the problem is that Bethesda has adapted. They've "streamlined" their games to the point of being, again, bland. Although I preferred Skyrim over Oblivion, by a large margin. But it's still very generic. Anyhow.

Considering they're mostly a publisher now good can still come from them in the form of games developed by other companies though.
  • drhickman1983 3 Aug 2020 11:51:32 7,338 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think streamlining is a bad thing necessarily. And it largely comes down to individual preference where the sweet spot is.

I too much prefer Skyrim to Oblivion. Even preferred it to Morrowind. But I can easily see why the latter is preferred to the former.

I can also see why, conceivably, somebody might prefer Fallout 4 to 3. But 4 just crossed a line for me where it went from a sweet spot of accessibility into a too much of a focus on combat.
  • JoeBlade 3 Aug 2020 12:26:45 5,714 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    drhickman1983 wrote:
    I don't think streamlining is a bad thing necessarily.
    Totally, I meant it specifically as 'aiming for a product that appeals to the most buyers as possible rather than pursuing a creative goal'

Which is quite a mouthful :p
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Aug 2020 13:32:46 26,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    That seems to be the feelings towards Andromeda, not played enough of either game to find out for myself. I do know that I love FO3/FOV and the ME series...even ME3.
  • hedben2013 3 Aug 2020 14:59:37 1,906 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, mine was the last comment for a couple of years and, predictably, I must have abandoned the game a couple of weeks after "getting back into it". It wasn't a particularly bad game, and it did scratch that Bethesda itch where you pick a direction and see what you find there... but it didn't have the same narrative pull that 3 or NV did. Or the sense that you could find some hidden note, little diorama, skeleton in a party hat or whatever at any turn.
  • Switch-v85 3 Aug 2020 15:06:03 4,249 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:
    Or the sense that you could find some hidden note, little diorama, skeleton in a party hat or whatever at any turn.
    Funny you say that, I found a teddy bear wearing a hat in the drivers seat of a broken bus. It was probably the most memorable thing that happened.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.