The Witcher 3 Page 318

• PazJohnMitch 14 Nov 2019 16:47:46 15,689 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is not always clear what the Ďgoodí option in the Witcher 3 is. You do what you think is right and then deal with the consequences if you chose wrong. That is what makes it great.
  • Malek86 14 Nov 2019 18:33:52 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Kay yes, but that's not my point. It's one thing to attempt to do good and eventually have it backfire. At least you had good intentions.

I was talking about having your character rewarded for obviously evil actions. And not just a token reward that could be easily skipped without a second thought, but something actually good. I would like to see how many people would stick to their morals at any cost then...

As RPGs are now, I never really saw the point of going down the evil route unless you are specifically challenging yourself.
  • JoeBlade 14 Nov 2019 18:49:51 4,896 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    As RPGs are now, I never really saw the point of going down the evil route unless you are specifically challenging yourself.
    Witcher is a poor example overall because it precisely wants to teach the player there is no good or bad, no right or wrong. All choices have up- and downsides.

Recent RPGs such as Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity still do that 'being evil is viable' approach though.
    Whether stealing/murdering for very powerful unique items or spells/skills/powers/... of the evil characters being far more destructive and interesting than the good ones, it's still there.

The RPGs that aren't that good at it are the ones that have a lawfulness system whereby you get tracked down by trillions of guards if you go too far down the evil route. I remember those being mostly from 10 years or so ago though (my memory may be failing me)
  • Mola_Ram 14 Nov 2019 21:23:58 23,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, this game wouldn't be a good one to experiment with actual evil options. Geralt isn't an evil character, so having those options wouldn't make sense for him. If you're talking about a game where you design your own character, then yes, sure!

On another note, there's one or two quests in W3 where I think having another option would make sense. Like, right at the start in White Orchard, there's a small quest where you try to save the life of a dying girl by brewing a witcher potion for her. I knew from playing the first time around that giving her the potion does not turn out well for her eventually, and that letting her die is arguably the better choice.

So this time I was determined to choose differently, but the game doesn't really encourage it. There's no dialogue option for it, so the only way is to just leave the quest open. And that sacrifices like 200xp, which is rather a big deal at the start of the game.
  • Malek86 14 Nov 2019 21:36:51 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll make an example from Pathologic, since that's all I'm playing these days.

One of the first quests asks you to... kill a child. As in, not give him a mercy death or anything. You have to actually kill him. And you probably won't have any weapons at that point, so you'll need to do the deed with your bare hands. The player character even notes in the in-game journal that the quest giver must be a proper lowlife.

Thing is, there's some real big advantages to doing it. You get a very rare medicine that is not sold in shops, and also a gun, which would be super expensive to buy. You also start at low health and high hunger, and there are very few ways to get money and food this early in the game, so you could really use the money from selling one of those things. For comparison, sparing the child doesn't really give you anything, aside from an uptick in reputation.

Mind, any new player might not know what they are in for, and could simply balk out on principle. They might regret it later. Who knows.

It's the opposite of what I'm used to: the "good" option is the one you'll only take if you want to stick to your morals at any cost, and are willing to pay the price for it. Not all missions are like this, others will give better rewards for being good. You usually have the choice.

It's ultimately brought down by the fact that Pathologic is easy to abuse once you acquire the know how, so ultimately it doesn't matter all that much. But any new player will be taken aback. And anyone used to playing as the standard doe-eyed RPG hero will have a hard time keeping it up.

Edited by Malek86 at 21:48:53 14-11-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 15:13:04 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've started this again recently and have been absolutely loving it but I'm approaching the place I started losing interest the last time and can feel it happening again. Is stuff after Skellige up there with the Bloody Baron stuff?
  • Vortex808 10 Jan 2020 15:24:29 13,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes.

You get pissed with some other witchers for one. :-)

I didn't mind skellige though, but the later parts were good too IMO. Bloody baron was one of my favourite quests in the whole game though, so hard to beat. Have you done the stuff at the skellige castle?

My game ending wasn't what I hoped for either.

Fickle witches- I just found it difficult to choose one!
  • Switch024 10 Jan 2020 15:25:19 3,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No not really. Skellige's decent though, it's got a different feel to it and starts to advance the main plot a bit more.
  • Switch024 10 Jan 2020 15:27:14 3,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Yes.

That's my favourite bit of the game, it's hilarous. It's after you're done with Skellige though isn't it? Back at Kaer Morhen?

Edited by Switch024 at 15:28:46 10-01-2020
  • Vortex808 10 Jan 2020 15:32:36 13,757 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Switch024 wrote:
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Yes.

That's my favourite bit of the game, it's hilarous. ]
    It is after skellige, but he's asking if it's worth continuing the game, so if he wants to get pissed with witchers, then he should carry on. ;-)
  • Switch024 10 Jan 2020 15:55:34 3,625 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Very true. He should definitely carry on.

Where are you up to Decks? Novigrad? I agree with Vortex, the Bloody Baron quest is probably the best part of the game but there's stuff worth seeing later.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 16:00:44 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm a little way into Skellige. I'm pretty sure I finished Skellige last time, did the drunk stuff and then fucked it off. I think it peaked too early with the Bloody Baron stuff, nothing is really living up to it.
  • Malek86 10 Jan 2020 16:14:25 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I wasn't a fan of Skellige in general, maybe you could just speed through the quests there and move on?

The final stretch isn't much to write home about, but I guess there's always the DLCs. It's real good.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:15:43 10-01-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 16:17:53 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've went from knobbing all the witches last time to focussing solely on Yen this time. Mainly because I've totes got the hots for her in the TV Show.
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Jan 2020 16:18:34 9,926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I've went from knobbing all the witches last time to focussing solely on Yen this time. Mainly because I've totes got the hots for her in the TV Show.
    Canít you entertain anyone but Triss and still get in bed with Yen?

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 16:18:45 10-01-2020
  • DrStrangelove 10 Jan 2020 16:20:09 15,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hearts of Stone lives up to it imo
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Jan 2020 16:22:17 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Canít you entertain anyone but Triss and still get in bed with Yen?
    I'm trying to build something meaningful with her ok.
  • wuntyate 19 Feb 2020 12:50:38 14,502 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I've just started the mission where I have to go back to the Bloody Baron's gaff and nick that potato headed fucker. Still millions of sidequests around but should I just focus on the story for a bit or are there side quests I have to do that will impact the main narrative at all? Pretty sure I'm setting up an assassination of Radovid for example and I just released that Djinn's wish between geralt and Yen (which tickled me, after now seeing the original thing happen on the netflix show).

I also fiinally decided to hunt for the cat gear so I now longer look like a tramp... more of a kinky witcher.

Also Geralt is having a great old time of it as he seems to be shagging everyone he meets.

What's the consensus on the autolevelling of enemies. Off or on? I'm on Blood and Broken Bones but I've not really struggled with combat much as it's quite easy. Not brave enough to pop it up to Death March though but thought the autolevelling may make things more interesting.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Feb 2020 13:33:05 13,284 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím all for playing on the easiest most casual settings possible. Iím in it for the story and roleplaying as a legendary warrior hero, I donít have time to be getting owned by bandits and deserters on my way to the next monster or cutscene.
  • nickthegun 19 Feb 2020 13:38:35 81,347 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Pretty much every quest that involves a 'main' character affects the ending, even if you dont do them, so it depends if you want a more complete end sequence or not. There were a ton of side quests for randos that I didnt do, but seemingly none affected the ending, really.

I also went with Cat armour and maxed out all the critical hit perks, which I suspect you are doing, which does indeed seem to make the combat pretty trivial. To the point that it makes magic basically useless. And I left levelling off because I liked to roll back into an early area and one shot things on horseback.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2020 13:51:07 23,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Basically, if the person you are doing a quest for is important enough to have their own character entry in the journal, whatever you do with them will usually affect the plot in some way. Even if they don't have an effect on the ending of the main plot, they'll usually have their own little story that you can influence.

Some of them are really complex, like anything involving Djikstra. Fucking love that guy.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:52:08 19-02-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Feb 2020 14:01:08 28,696 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GOTY Edition is 12.99 on PSN just now.
    The series makes me want to play this again but I never use my PC these days so I'm going to double dip for the convenience of playing on the Pro.
  • wuntyate 19 Feb 2020 14:43:24 14,502 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, yeah that makes sense. It's a lot to juggle sometimes but it does help that so much of it is interesting and well written. Pretty sure I've got a side quest involving dandeloin so maybe should do that.

@nick yes, exactly right. Fast attacks, lots of dodging and liberal use of the quen shield. So many criticals means shit just goes down.
  • Garfy 19 Feb 2020 14:56:50 1,445 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm going to double dip for the convenience of playing on the Pro.
    HDR on an OLED screen it looks bloody amazing
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Feb 2020 17:31:16 28,696 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Garfy wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    I'm going to double dip for the convenience of playing on the Pro.
    HDR on an OLED screen it looks bloody amazing
    Now that really convinced me, clicking ďbuyĒ now, cheers.
  • Kay 19 Feb 2020 20:51:33 20,510 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just did the Carnal Sins quest, and it's such a great example of what this game does really well. A seemingly throwaway quest line segueing into a really cool murder mystery with different outcomes. Definitely the my favourite quest since the Bloody Baron plot line.
  • DakeyrasUK 19 Feb 2020 22:56:23 4,076 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Edit: got my answer.

You upload to steam via the switch.

Hmmm might now have to triple dip and get a pc version...

Edited by DakeyrasUK at 23:03:04 19-02-2020
  • MiniSchnauz 20 Feb 2020 01:02:52 424 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Decks My own honest thoughts about Skellige and after:

The Skellige stuff is actually pretty lightweight and short to get through if you just go all the way through with the main storyline quests. The heirs' sidequests are both really good though Cerys' is much better than Hundvig. The Morkvarg sidequest is quite fun and the end of the Skellige questline with Yen and 'The Last Wish' is a wonderful end to the main story time on the Isles.

Then it's the lead up to time at Kaer Mohen and the aftermath. Personally, I found it really hard going with a fair bit of busywork but it's over relatively quickly, then you get into a lot more story stuff and, depending on how much of the side content you've done or what to hunt down, it's pretty much a straight road to the end of the game although there's at least one superb sidequest in there which you've probably already had a taste of.

It definitely drags it out a but it's not that hard to work through and some of the later stuff with Ciri is really good.

And then there's the DLC which is definitely worth it.

TL;DR: There's not actually that much left to do, it has some great moments and it's worth powering through the busy work.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 20 Feb 2020 06:11:32 24,360 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh yeah I finished it a couple of weeks ago, thought it was great. Was definitely ready for it to finish by the end though.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2020 07:20:51 81,347 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Same. It didnít help itself by saying ĎTHIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN! SAVE NOW!í and then carrying on for another 40 hours.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.