The Witcher 3 Page 320

Next Last
  • Stuz359 24 Feb 2020 22:20:43 250 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You still get a chance to choose, just don't keep stringing both along. Probably sensible advice for life too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2020 12:01:51 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slow progress and exploring Velen continues.

Currently tracking The Ladies In The Woods quest. Iíve chosen to free the spiky tree bollock under the hill but I kind of feel like Iím doing it because thatís what a game would expect as anything else.

Enjoying the folk elements and mystery a lot in quests like this.
  • richyroo 1 Mar 2020 12:18:45 446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe The great thing about the Witcher 3 is that it doesnt expect you to do anything. Sometimes even making a decision which seems right at the time may have an unwanted effect which is only revealed far down the line.
  • cov 1 Mar 2020 12:19:46 2,233 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I bounced off this when it came out but after tv series tried again and it has definitely clicked and am rinsing it - getting closeish to end game i think.

The world works better for me second time round for some reason - first time i felt very disconnected from story not having played the others.
  • richyroo 1 Mar 2020 12:22:35 446 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @cov Where abouts are you? There is quite a bit still to do after what seems like the end game.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2020 12:30:12 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I canít remember if I said in this thread or the Current Playing one but I bounced hard off Witcher 2 because of the combat and it felt like more of a generic fantasy world.

This one with the folkier elements and more chatty quest lines I dig. Monsters being largely the exception is good, the low points so far for me have been caves of mobs and some big insects which were pretty generic and out of place. And following the Wild Hunt through that dungeon looking for the masked mage, boring. The Wild Hunt seem weirdly Warhammerish for this world anyway but I donít know anything about them yet so maybe itíll make sense later on.
  • JoelStinty 1 Mar 2020 12:57:59 8,798 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm exactly the same place as you Simple. Except I quit mid quest with that spiky thing as I didn't have subtitles on and they don't have any for it so when it came to the decision I couldn't remember from playing it previously what the backstory was.

Taking this one nice and slow to avoid burnout. 45 minutes a day. Perhaps two sessions on the weekend. Enjoying being back in the world. Though don't know if I have it finished in time for FF7:R
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2020 13:40:35 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    @simpleexplodingmaybe The great thing about the Witcher 3 is that it doesnt expect you to do anything. Sometimes even making a decision which seems right at the time may have an unwanted effect which is only revealed far down the line.
    I know, Iíve generally been more considering in how Iíve gone about things in this game but for some reason I just went with what would be the usual RPG flow in terms of blindly following whatever the last character I met told me
  • cov 1 Mar 2020 14:10:08 2,233 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richyroo wrote:
    @cov Where abouts are you? There is quite a bit still to do after what seems like the end game.
    Dont want to spoiler anything - while its old peeps are playing thru again - lets just say I have mopped up all of skellige (sp?) - happy if there is a load more mind
  • Kay 1 Mar 2020 17:45:40 20,510 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There really is a ridiculous amount of content in this game. I'm about 90 hours in and feel like I'm probably not even halfway through, and that's without counting the DLC. I've just got the Ugly Baby quest, so I reckon I've got a long way to go for the main story too. I am playing on Death March though, and trying to make use of the alchemy and crafting mechanics to give myself an edge.
  • cov 1 Mar 2020 17:59:29 2,233 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That is exactly where i am :) have to admit to cleaning up all quests and maps - just something about a ? I find irresistible
  • Kay 1 Mar 2020 18:04:10 20,510 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Tbh I find most of the ? a bit pointless - I'm sick of bandit camps and monster nests. I just can't resist doing any of the actual quests I come across though...
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2020 19:00:02 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah Iíve mostly stopped going out of my way for ?s already, unless the location looks really promising
  • DrStrangelove 1 Mar 2020 20:32:20 15,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As for those decisions, I really appreciate that a game does difficult decisions instead of the usual "A) be a saint and everyone's happy or B) be a cunt and people die/hate you" options.

I really dig the world, I like the more LOTR-style worlds of Skyrim etc too, but there's something special about this middle ages with fables style. I really enjoyed how W3 recreated medieval towns and cities and castles and armours and guards etc are actually reminiscent of the middle ages and it even has real swords instead of those crazy oversized red-glowing swords with a dozen spikes and sawtooth shit going on. Actually believeable stuff (except for the monsters of course).

Now I'm not a fan of everything W3 does, but fuck me if it didn't nail that. If it had more snow storms, it would be the best game world ever.

Well tbh even without many snow storms it may well be the best game world ever.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:34:51 01-03-2020
  • the_milkybar_kid 1 Mar 2020 20:51:48 8,240 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is a way of getting the best possible / moral outcome for all parties concerned, apart from a mass murder in the village that provide kids to the crones. But fuck those guys.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Mar 2020 21:50:52 23,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's heavily implied that the tree spirit won't just stop at killing off that one village, though. It's not benign at all, it's an ancient evil that will happily go on a rampage if you let it.

And even if you think the Crones are worse, you get to kill them later anyway.
  • nickthegun 1 Mar 2020 21:57:01 81,347 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I uhmd and ahed but the thing that swung it was that it was pretty much the first conversation tree where Gerald suspected the other person was lying which meant, obviously, they were definitely lying.
  • cov 1 Mar 2020 22:07:11 2,233 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dont the bits and pieces you pick up say that the crones are about to eat the children, let the spirit go and it saves them but the spirit will kill most of the villagers who are in thrall to crones and who it imploes give them chikdren as part of the pact . Sod em.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Mar 2020 23:58:34 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I ended up killing the bollock. It was a bit too keen to be flying around on a raven winged horse bringing death to those whoíd wronged it in the conversations weíd had.

I figure the children were eaten and that Gran would find more. Iíd completely forgotten that Anna was linked to the Crones itíd been so long since I left the Baron.

My head-canon explanation for Geralt being fairly chilled about the child eating was that this is just the sort of thing he runs up against from time to time and these sort of swamp cults are just part of the folkloric colour of the land.
  • Kay 2 Mar 2020 00:08:16 20,510 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Do all these little decisions you make throughout actually have a noticeable impact on the endgame? I've had to make a lot of tough decisions, but usually afterwards I completely forget about it and just move on.

I can see how stuff like the Crookback Bog quest might have an impact later on (and I killed the spirit fwiw), but there are even some really tiny sidequests that have some tough decisions. For example, The Nithing quest about a curse on a child in Skellige, where basically both outcomes seem just as bad as each other, and it's up to the player to decide who deserves the punishment.

Edited by Kay at 00:08:33 02-03-2020
  • DrStrangelove 2 Mar 2020 00:35:03 15,102 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can just say that the most memorable quest where I helped a poor monk regain his voice had no lasting consequences

Edited by DrStrangelove at 00:37:12 02-03-2020
  • Mola_Ram 2 Mar 2020 01:55:07 23,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Kay for the most part, no. The way you do some quests will affect the fates of certain characters, but the actual ending of the game remains the same.

Two big exceptions, though (vague spoilers follow). The way you handle certain situations with Ciri, and how you deal with Radovid. Both of those affect the main ending pretty majorly.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 02:09:22 02-03-2020
  • wuntyate 2 Mar 2020 06:55:00 14,501 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Finished. Really couldn't put it down over the last couple of weeks, got an ending where Nilfgaard wins but Temeria gets to be it's own state, Cerys rules Skellige, Ciri and Geralt go off to be Witchers, which all feels quite right, so I'm happy with that outcome. Will take a break now but will definitely do the DLCs. What an outstanding game.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 9 Mar 2020 00:06:23 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Telling any old friend I bump into to go to Kaer Morhen feels kind of arbitrary without the context of the previous games/books but it also feels like what the game is steering me toward.

Any past context for this thatíll make narrative sense?

Also, while clearing up lose ends around Velen and making proper forays into the Novigrad quests Iíve still got the return to Crookback Bog waiting. It feels like the completist video gaming thing to do but in the setting of the world leaving things as they are feels more fitting for the character of the environment.
  • JoeBlade 9 Mar 2020 01:34:04 4,896 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Telling any old friend I bump into to go to Kaer Morhen feels kind of arbitrary without the context of the previous games/books but it also feels like what the game is steering me toward.

Any past context for this thatíll make narrative sense?
    I've not read the books but played all three games. To summarize: Kaer Morhen is the last bastion of the Witchers. It's their base of operations, their training ground, their HQ if you will. That's where you're at during the tutorial section where you race against a child Ciri (among others), if you recall. So it's not entirely without context, even if you've not played the previous games in the series. I think it's also mentioned in written (book) lore in the game.
    It featured somewhat prominently in the first game (it's the setting of the opening section, which is 30-60 mins long IIRC) but you're not missing out on much if you haven't played that.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Mar 2020 23:44:44 13,284 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Iím sure thereíll be bigger or better to come but Novigrad really does exemplify the grounding in Ďrealisticí medieval towns, villages and cities in this game doesnít it?

Like take out the fantasy and it still feels like a solid representation of the Middle Ages. And thereís more than the twelve buildings that most games like this would have making up a capital.
  • Kay 26 Mar 2020 17:28:58 20,510 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've come across a pretty frustrating bug/glitch - I can't seem to get to the Isle of Mists.

I know that when you get a boat and sail to the quest marker, it triggers a cut-scene with a firefly. I did that once, but realised that I failed one of the quests, so I reloaded an earlier save to complete that quest first. Then I headed back to Undvik, did a bit more exploring around, and got on the boat (I'd left one right near the quest marker) to start the quest.

Now, it just shows a message telling me to save the game - which I did - but then nothing else happens. I just sail right through the quest marker. I've tried turning the boat around, sailing a fair bit away, and trying again, but it just tells me I need to save (and paradoxically sometimes gives me the "unable to save game right now" message), and then not triggering the quest.

Any ideas? :/

Edit: Fwiw I managed to resolve the issue - I quit the game completely, reloaded the last save, and then it loaded straight onto the firefly cut-scene. Now, back to looking for Ciri.

Edited by Kay at 18:43:26 26-03-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.